• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

GhaleonEB

The difficulty in this game is odd sometimes. I've been playing Master difficulty since about level 20. Being a Heavy Armor Nord with a slight background in Alteration, it's been relatively easy.

I just hit level 35 the other day, and all of a sudden the game's difficulty seemed to spike up quite a bit. Bandits, Falmer, mages, and Dragons that I once could kill with ease are now pushing me to near-death. It's fun, but the swift increase in difficulty kind of caught me off guard.

I've been wearing Exquisite Steel-Plate Armor for the majority of the game, and it's been pretty helpful for the most part. However, I might have do start using the Ebony Armor I've been collecting to accommodate for the increase in difficulty. My Armorer skill is 77, so in a few levels I'll be able to upgrade the Ebony to be more effective than my Steel-Plate Armor. Hopefully that should cut the difficulty down a little.

I had a very weird difficulty spike on Master last night. I was clearing out that mine where the miners cracked into a Nord tomb and irked the Draugr within, and I hopped down the hole to clear them out.

It was filled with regular Draugr, with some Restless, Scourge and Wights in the mix. They were tough, but using a combination Alteration defensive boots, tons of shield bashing and Shouts I could handle them. I got through the place without much trouble.

Then I run into the big bad at the end, in the room with the fire-spitting statue. It's a Death Overlord. Not a Deathlord, skipping straight to Overlord here.

My axe does about 1% damage, and he instantly kills me in one blow, even with Stoneflesh active. I eventually build a loop where I hit do a few shield juggles, then hit him with Ice Form, land four blows as he gets up, then flee to the hallway until my Shout power recharges. Then save, and repeat. I can take down maybe 5% of his health in each round.

Then, when I have him around 20% down, he starts casting healing spells, erasing the damage I would do each round, and then some. After well over an hour, I've lost ground and he's back to nearly full health. At this point it was past midnight, and I've concluded that he's literally impossible for me to kill. But I'm angry, so I dump the difficulty back down a notch and kill him in a straight up fight. Toggled it back up to Master after, where it's been for all but that moment.

It was the wildest difficulty spike I've ever seen in a game. I'm currently level 26.

TTG

On invincible NPCs, I ran into Cicero early during my adventures, I had read that his clothing was... special, and since I had already framed him for a mini quest, I wanted to kill him for it. Couldn't. It was much later that I realized dude is a slightly important character hehe

Cicero's hat plus emperor's robes make for a bad ass outfit.

Mage's guild/College quest line and some criminal related stuff is all that stands between me and platinum! Oh, and I still might have to iron dagger it to level 50(47 currently). I can't even level up my armor anymore because rarely does anyone actually touch me. Everything is a sneaky hit with an enchanted ebony bow, that kind of damage adds up. Just a bit over 100 in damage depending on the arrow plus the fire and then the multiplier. Still more fun than bashing people over the head with a mace like I used to do.

So, started playing Skyrim yesterday, I'm not that much of an RPG guy so think I may need a bit of guidance.

At the moment I'm a level 8 Breton. I'm unfamiliar with the classes in TES games, although things seem to be a little different from Oblivion in that it would seem that I'm free to upgrade across all the perks (albeit, I get a starting boost in some of them). What sort of skills should I be looking at concentrating on with a Breton? So far I've stuck to one-handed weapon and Destruction powers, sometimes dual casting, other time mixing destruction and a sword. Good idea, or am I being an RPG noob and messing up my upgrades?

I only ask as I've just been to see the Greybeards, but then went off wandering to do some side quests and ended up getting destroyed by some witches by Orphan Rock (Nettlebane mission), and then by some Justicars I found wandering by Whiterun. :/

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Stormcloaks spoilers:
Man, it sucks that I can't warn Balgruuf about the things I heard in Ulfric's hall, especially as a character who hasn't decided on a side yet. You'd think after hearing about plans to assassinate him I could pass that message to Dragonsreach.

At the moment I'm a level 8 Breton. I'm unfamiliar with the classes in TES games, although things seem to be a little different from Oblivion in that it would seem that I'm free to upgrade across all the perks (albeit, I get a starting boost in some of them). What sort of skills should I be looking at concentrating on with a Breton? So far I've stuck to one-handed weapon and Destruction powers, sometimes dual casting, other time mixing destruction and a sword. Good idea, or am I being an RPG noob and messing up my upgrades?

Sounds like good stuff so far! IMO the key to success is only using and building up the skills you're going to be using throughout the game. Since you're using spell and sword you won't need block for example, but the restoration and alteration skills have spells that increase your armour and ward against damage that you can use instead. So you can apply a ward or armour with one hand then switch that back to your destruction spells and wade in.

My character uses no magic at all and I'm doing pretty well so far.

So, started playing Skyrim yesterday, I'm not that much of an RPG guy so think I may need a bit of guidance.

I only ask as I've just been to see the Greybeards, but then went off wandering to do some side quests and ended up getting destroyed by some witches by Orphan Rock (Nettlebane mission), and then by some Justicars I found wandering by Whiterun. :/

You can be whatever you want to be. Bretons are usually geared less towards combat and more towards magic, but heck, if you want to focus on making your Breton a badass warrior, you can. The game won't penalize you for it. Play the way that feels right to you, that's what these games (and especially Skyrim) are all about.

As for getting destroyed, well, that's normal for a low-level character. There's stuff out there that's just more powerful than you, and won't hesitate to kill you if they don't like you. Keep plenty of saves, try plenty of strategies, and eventually you'll prevail and become stronger.

I might write some kind of character creation guide tomorrow evening, when I'm done studying. Anyone else feel like that's a good idea?

Stormcloaks spoilers:
Man, it sucks that I can't warn Balgruuf about the things I heard in Ulfric's hall, especially as a character who hasn't decided on a side yet. You'd think after hearing about plans to assassinate him I could pass that message to Dragonsreach.

Do the
Imperial questline
. You'll get to
warn him and defend Whiterun from a Stormcloak attack

I had a very weird difficulty spike on Master last night. I was clearing out that mine where the miners cracked into a Nord tomb and irked the Draugr within, and I hopped down the hole to clear them out.

It was filled with regular Draugr, with some Restless, Scourge and Wights in the mix. They were tough, but using a combination Alteration defensive boots, tons of shield bashing and Shouts I could handle them. I got through the place without much trouble.

Then I run into the big bad at the end, in the room with the fire-spitting statue. It's a Death Overlord. Not a Deathlord, skipping straight to Overlord here.

My axe does about 1% damage, and he instantly kills me in one blow, even with Stoneflesh active. I eventually build a loop where I hit do a few shield juggles, then hit him with Ice Form, land four blows as he gets up, then flee to the hallway until my Shout power recharges. Then save, and repeat. I can take down maybe 5% of his health in each round.

Then, when I have him around 20% down, he starts casting healing spells, erasing the damage I would do each round, and then some. After well over an hour, I've lost ground and he's back to nearly full health. At this point it was past midnight, and I've concluded that he's literally impossible for me to kill. But I'm angry, so I dump the difficulty back down a notch and kill him in a straight up fight. Toggled it back up to Master after, where it's been for all but that moment.

It was the wildest difficulty spike I've ever seen in a game. I'm currently level 26.

Death Overlords are brutal on lower levels, and I count level 26 as a lower level in this case. They're like undead Chuck Norris's who woke up on the wrong side of their coffins.

Stormcloaks spoilers:

Hearing Ulfric talk to his Carl about that cemented my stance against him forever. That's how an evil warlord talks, pure and simple.

You can be whatever you want to be. Bretons are usually geared less towards combat and more towards magic, but heck, if you want to focus on making your Breton a badass warrior, you can. The game won't penalize you for it. Play the way that feels right to you, that's what these games (and especially Skyrim) are all about.

As for getting destroyed, well, that's normal for a low-level character. There's stuff out there that's just more powerful than you, and won't hesitate to kill you if they don't like you. Keep plenty of saves, try plenty of strategies, and eventually you'll prevail and become stronger.

I might write some kind of character creation guide tomorrow evening, when I'm done studying. Anyone else feel like that's a good idea?

Yeah, sometimes I forget that in RPGs sometimes its better to stick to fast travel and areas where the game directs you to early on. And even then there is always a Deathclaw that just happens to spawn on the road to Happy Town. I just get paranoid that I've created an unbalanced character and am going to have to start all over again.

I might be mistaken, but Oblivion didn't allow you to be what you wanted to be, did it? Or at least, it tried to direct you in upgrading certain powers/skills/attributes by making certain skill trees for some classes easier to upgrade in. I'm sure I remember being a lot more restricted in it (granted, its been about 3yrs since I played Oblivion).

Songbird

Prodigal Son

Sounds cool, let us know if you need more input.

Blue Ninja said:
Do the
Imperial questline
. You'll get to
warn him and defend Whiterun from a Stormcloak attack

I'm hesitant to even do that after the events in the tutorial. Gah, I want neutrality.

I also got badly destroyed by the hagravens, I expected it to be simple as a quest from the first region, but those witches are high level. I had to cheese it by hiding behind a rock and firing arrows.

You deplete all their health, they go into the crouching position, and then they get back up again with full health.

I'm venting here, but it's really aggravating. It's not like it's just super-important people like Jarls, it's extended to some random-ass people like thieves, family members of one important family in a town who might only tangentially be related to certain non-main-quest quests, even some random people inside a meadery. Like, unless these people are all secretly super important to the process of killing Alduin, I'm not seeing why they need to be invincible highlanders.

It's especially frustrating not only because it runs so opposed to the rest of the game's intent of letting you do whatever you want, but the last GameBryo/Bethesda-style open-world game I played was New Vegas, where one of the design goals was to allow the player to kill literally anybody in the Mojave Wasteland. There's only one "invincible" NPC there, and there's a good story reason for why that is (and you can actually destroy their body and temporarily "kill" them).

Yeah, that can be really irritating. Also the fact that anyone who says "I submit!" will never actually submit. I feel like a total dick killing a surrendering enemy, but I know they're just going to get up five seconds later and attack me again anyway.

I really need to try New Vegas. It sounds like it fixes a lot of my criticisms with Skyrim, and I enjoyed Fallout 3 quite a bit.

I'm hesitant to even do that after the events in the tutorial. Gah, I want neutrality.

Hadvar showed me the way. He's my bro.

Yeah, that can be really irritating. Also the fact that anyone who says "I submit!" will never actually submit. I feel like a total dick killing a surrendering enemy, but I know they're just going to get up five seconds later and attack me again anyway.

I really need to try New Vegas. It sounds like it fixes a lot of my criticisms with Skyrim, and I enjoyed Fallout 3 quite a bit.

I've had thieves actually surrender and become non-hostile. The random wanderers you can goad into a fight do the same.

Also, for the guy saying the best course of action is to use fast travel, it really isn't. Wandering's the way to go. Sure, you'll get destroyed a couple of times, but nothing beats the experience of coming home after a long journey, with an inventory filled to the brim with dragon bones.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hadvar showed me the way. He's my bro.

I like both Hadvar and that other guy, they seem like better men then the organisations they serve.

Blue Ninja said:
I've had thieves actually surrender and become non-hostile. The random wanderers you can goad into a fight do the same.

Same, only a thief who stopped me before I entered Riften actually walked away when I let him live. Everyone else has gotten back up and fought.

TTG

main quest line spoilers:

anyone try to call Ovadiin(whatever his name is) for some dragon on dragon action? I've only fought one dragon since main quest finished and didn't bother summoning him.

So was the dragon that attacked Helgen at the beginning of the game Alduin? Do we see Alduin anywhere at the beginning of the game?

Yes, that was Alduin.

And Rolf's tale is finished. I saved
Skyrim and the College
, killed a
Pirate Dremora
and helped one of my colleagues recreate
the disappearance of the Dwarves
. Finished at level 23-ish, which is low, but it would've been a lot lower if I hadn't grinded the hell out of Conjuration while I was fighting Hevnoraak.

Join the Thieves' Guild and you'll have a dialogue option when they confront you to reveal yourself as a guildmate and get off scott-free.

If you're a
Nightingale
they'll approach you to give you money.

Once a thief ran up to me and slipped me some boots he had just stolen. The victim comes up asking have I seen this guy, I just said "well uh no", he went after the thief, I left with 20% sneak boots. Cool random moment? Or scripted into the quest?

Random, that's part of the radiant story system.

lil smoke

Banned
Why would I let anyone live, who threatens me and tries to rob me? :lol

Once a thief ran up to me and slipped me some boots he had just stolen. The victim comes up asking have I seen this guy, I just said "well uh no", he went after the thief, I left with 20% sneak boots. Cool random moment? Or scripted into the quest?

Why would I let anyone live, who threatens me and tries to rob me? :lol

Good point. If anything, you should put them down for poorly representing the guild. Killing marks, seriously?

A somewhat common random occurance, though it hasn't happened to me in a couple of playthroughs.

145 hours in the Xbox version, loading times are really long now. There's absolutely no way to fix this, right? I'm running the game off the HDD and I'm average upwards to two minutes to load Skyrim world and cities and about a minute to load houses and caves.

That's what makes this game a chore to play at times. I cringe at the thought of entering some building or towns due to the load times.

Me too. Such a small thing but it's so great.

Edit:

Regarding the Dark Brotherhood:
When they wake you up and choose you to kill someone... also so very fucking cool. It was the best part of Oblivion and so far it seems it will be the same here. Love it.

Just ran into a quest where there was a "mystery" I solved at the very beginning, and then I had to go through the rest of the quest acting like I didn't know the solution and waiting for the relevant journal to magically appear in the house I had already been in.

Bonus points: the journal referenced events after I had killed the person who wrote the journal in question.

GhaleonEB

Me too. Such a small thing but it's so great.

Edit:

Regarding the Dark Brotherhood:
When they wake you up and choose you to kill someone... also so very fucking cool. It was the best part of Oblivion and so far it seems it will be the same here. Love it.

I killed them all. Only way to be sure!
Just completed A Night to Remember.

Hilarious. And the reward is awesome.

The bit with the Hagraven was hilarious.

Hm, I don't think I've ever given a thief the chance, haha. I'll have to try that some time.

I had one of those wanderer guys challenge me, and I beat him to submission three or four times and he kept coming back for more until I killed him.

Synless

I got the 360 version of the game for xmas and am getting started to actually play through a ES game past the first four hours for the first time ever. A few questions, what the hell should I do? I want a crazy godlike character. Two, my buddy wants to know if the ps3 version is fixed.

ad0ab09f.jpg

Completed it last night, also I've got all the Dragon Priest masks :D

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
OK, I'm stuck. I'm in the Thieves Guild and
I'm in a dungeon with Mercer Frey to go after Karilah. Problem is, there's all these Dragurs keep popping out of nowhere, and I can't just sneak past them, and they keep ganging up on me and killing me.
How do I get past all of them?

GhaleonEB

Joy.

In Labryinthian, I can take down a
skeletal dragon on my own, and a spectral Draugr Deathlord.[/spoilier] However, I've now met one of the Dragon Priests, who 1) kills me instantly from a distance of about 50 yards with a lightning spell, even when I'm blocking with my newfound ebony shield and have Stoneflesh (60 point defensive boost) on, and 2) turns my summoned fire atronoch against me.

I landed one whack in an ambush to see how much damage I could deal, and I couldn't even see the health bar go down. So probably a good 100 blows to kill it, while it kills me in one, from very long range.

Grand design there, Bethesda.

Joy.

skeletal dragon on my own, and a spectral Draugr Deathlord.[/spoilier] However, I've now met one of the Dragon Priests, who 1) kills me instantly from a distance of about 50 yards with a lightning spell, even when I'm blocking with my newfound ebony shield and have Stoneflesh (60 point defensive boost) on, and 2) turns my summoned fire atronoch against me.

I landed one whack in an ambush to see how much damage I could deal, and I couldn't even see the health bar go down. So probably a good 100 blows to kill it, while it kills me in one, from very long range.

Doesn't Stoneflesh just raise your armour rating?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Joy.

I just fought this guy yesterday. First time he one shotted me. Second time he got bugged and couldn't move at all while I blasted him. It felt a bit cheap, but I decided to take it anyway. Bosses that one shot when everything around it is easy is already cheap enough.

I spent about 30 hours doing mage college/random other quests until I decided to continue a bit with the story... to my first dragon! Yeah, I know. It was kind of funny how that wizard in Whiterun kept talking down to me like I was some thick headed warrior, when I'm the arch mage! I wish the game had more taking into account the statuses you've received (outside of their major area of influence) but it is a minor complaint. I suppose it doesn't really make sense to run off and become the arch mage first anyway.

TTG

Joy.

In Labryinthian, I can take down a...

That's my next destination! Slightly different situation from yours though, it's probably the last dungeon I'll be going to period(depends if this quest line sends me anywhere else).

My first 2 dragon priest encounters were very difficult, I basically had to chip away at them for ages. So the last 2 I've faced got the full brunt of all the crap I've been hoarding away, something that I haven't done for any other enemy. First thing is to summon a dremora from the Senguine Rose, then you gotta go with the full set of heavy armor which rounds out to some 540+ rating and finally the Spellbreaker shield which casts a great ward along with some enchanted mace/sword thing that's in the 120s per hit plus the fire/frost stuff. And then there is the virtually limitless supply of potions, I think I'm carrying more potions than all of Skyrim's apothecaries combined at this point.

Collecting all of the dragon priest masks would have been a cool achievement/trophy, I'll trade that in for pickpocketing 50 people every time.

GhaleonEB

Doesn't Stoneflesh just raise your armour rating?
Yes, by 60 points. It helps me get through many battles with reduced damage.

That's my next destination! Slightly different situation from yours though, it's probably the last dungeon I'll be going to period(depends if this quest line sends me anywhere else)

Collecting all of the dragon priest masks would have been a cool achievement/trophy, I'll trade that in for pickpocketing 50 people every time.
Agree. I have no idea what the reward is, but my next character will be focused on collecting them. She'll be an archer, so I can battle them from afar.

I ended up cranking the difficulty down and having a fair fight. If the game is going to be that cheap, I have no problem being cheap right back at it.

So do I need to have played Oblivion to know the story of Skyrim?
Nope, they're entirely self-contained. Some books and lore in Skyrim will fill you in on the backstory.

Culinary

Joy.

I don't know if it'll work for you but I just ran past them and they did not pursue me. They kind of froze and stood in place. However, I was on a quest and something scripted happened shortly afterward.

GhaleonEB

Right, but it doesn't help against spells at all.

I thought armor rating did. Oh well.

Regardless, the damage output was absurd. I was rocking all new armor, full upgraded, and with magical resistances enchanted into them with grand soul gems. I spent two days working on the gear to prepare for this quest. To run into an ending boss that zaps me in one hit from across the (very large) room is absurd.

Just finished looting the Arch Mages quarters
I mean, my new quarters
. Holy shit, I'm rich!

I don't know if it'll work for you but I just ran past them and they did not pursue me. They kind of froze and stood in place. However, I was on a quest and something scripted happened shortly afterward.

This particular guy was the boss who had the item I required for the quest.

Sai-kun

Banned
Finally finished the main quest. Level 37, and about 100 hours spent, give or take a bit when I might have been AFK or something.

God, this was amazing.

Joy.

You mean Morokei? Fucker didn't have a chance. I sent an Atronarch down to fight him and he got pushed into a corner and then I just hurled Fireballs at him 'till he died.

Hevnoraak was tougher, but I didn't die on him, either. Just stayed behind a pillar and kept my eye on him, only comint out to throw something at him when he'd just attacked. :lol

But then again, I'm not a masochist playing on Master difficulty, so yeah.

I got the 360 version of the game for xmas and am getting started to actually play through a ES game past the first four hours for the first time ever. A few questions, what the hell should I do? I want a crazy godlike character. Two, my buddy wants to know if the ps3 version is fixed.

Whatever you want. Just play, and see where your feet take you. If you want to stick on the beaten path, follow Hadvar to Riverwood and progress the main quest a bit. If you want to go explore, head in a completely different direction. It's all up to you.

GreekWolf

Yeah, Labyrinthian was a great dungeon. Thankfully, I'm rolling with Lydia ( in full, enchanted ebony) so I simply let her tank the dragon priest while I peppered him with Daedric arrows. Took a few minutes, but I eventually sent him to Mehrunes Dagon.

Come to think of it, I'm almost certain I picked up the flaming familiar spell from the priest's room, which has quickly become one of my favorites. If you haven't had the pleasure of sending a flaming, exploding wolf into an unsuspecting den of bandits... you're missing out.

Fucking Christ.

Really?

10 minutes into the goddamn game and they decide to throw spiders the size of Volkswagons at you?

Fuck you Bethesda. How about a build up toward that shit. Maybe some giant snakes, giant falls, or being forced to speak in public or something.

Top Bottom