• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Holy shit. I was just fooling around and jumped off Bard's Leap Summit. I wasn't expecting what happened next. :lol

This game. 200 hours of play time and I'm still discovering stuff.

JDdelphin

Man, I just leveled up my conjuration enough to get access to thralls.

Holy heck.
-and I have the twin soul perk too

This Dovakin got himself a posse...

Slermy

Holy shit. I was just fooling around and jumped off Bard's Leap Summit. I wasn't expecting what happened next. :lol

This game. 200 hours of play time and I'm still discovering stuff.

The Bard's Leap Summit is one of my favorite moments in the game. I wish they put as much detail into the rest of the world.

Oooh, I don't think I've done this. Is there a quest related to it? Or just a spot on the map?

It's just a random spot, one of those moments where exploration and curiosity really pays off.

Man, I just leveled up my conjuration enough to get access to thralls.

Holy heck.
-and I have the twin soul perk too

This Dovakin got himself a posse...

My first character had that perk too, it was great fun sitting back and watching his two dremora lords smack talk the enemy. :lol

It did get a bit overpowered though, I hardly ever had to do anything in a fight once those two got going. :/

GhaleonEB

So, can you not actually build all of the add-on rooms listed at the drafting table? My daughter had a list of several rooms to go yet, and picked the Alchemy Lab as her next one. Since doing that the Enchanter's station and armory - and one other I can't recall - disappeared from the list. Now all she can do is remove the crafting tables from rooms, and remodel the entry hall.

Is this a glitch or a feature? She was looking forward to having the rest of the functionality in the house.

So, can you not actually build all of the add-on rooms listed at the drafting table? My daughter had a list of several rooms to go yet, and picked the Alchemy Lab as her next one. Since doing that the Enchanter's station and armory - and one other I can't recall - disappeared from the list. Now all she can do is remove the crafting tables from rooms, and remodel the entry hall.

Is this a glitch or a feature? She was looking forward to having the rest of the functionality in the house.

You can add three wings to your house, and you have to choose which one. For the east wing, you choose between the armory, kitchen and library. For the north wing, there's a trophy room, storage room and alchemy tower. Bedrooms, a greenhouse and an enchanter's tower go on the west wing.

It's strange that the Alchemy Lab disabled the Enchanter's Station and Armory, that shouldn't happen. Unless, of course, you already built something on those other wings.

How do you mean, exactly? When I was building the Trophy Room and Kitchen, I laid the plans at the drafting table but didn't have the materials to actually start building, so I went off to get them. Upon my return, I wasn't allowed to build anything at the Carpenter's Workbench. I simply picked a new wing at the drafting table, then picked Trophy Room/Kitchen again to fix it. Is this similar to what happened?

GhaleonEB

You can add three wings to your house, and you have to choose which one. For the east wing, you choose between the armory, kitchen and library. For the north wing, there's a trophy room, storage room and alchemy tower. Bedrooms, a greenhouse and an enchanter's tower go on the west wing.

It's strange that the Alchemy Lab disabled the Enchanter's Station and Armory, that shouldn't happen. Unless, of course, you already built something on those other wings.

This is what happened. We both thought the list of what we could build was not an either/or decision - we thought you could build the full list. So we were blindsided when a bunch of options disappeared from the list, since we were planning to build sequentially.

Is the fact that you can't build everything explained somewhere? It just occured to me it might be in the book, but we read that far enough to understand the method to build stuff, and went from there. That was probably our mistake.

So the follow up question is - can we remodel a wing? Take down the alchemy lab and replace it with the trophy room, for example? Or are we both screwed and have to try again with a different plot?

Volimar

This is what happened. We both thought the list of what we could build was not an either/or decision - we thought you could build the full list. So we were blindsided when a bunch of options disappeared from the list, since we were planning to build sequentially.

Is the fact that you can't build everything explained somewhere? It just occured to me it might be in the book, but we read that far enough to understand the method to build stuff, and went from there. That was probably our mistake.

So the follow up question is - can we remodel a wing? Take down the alchemy lab and replace it with the trophy room, for example? Or are we both screwed and have to try again with a different plot?

Sadly no. I made the same mistake as you, and I had to go back to an old save so I could build my library.

The only other thing you might consider is abandoning your current site and building at one of the other 2 locations. I would love a demolish feature both inside and outside the house.

Here's a really cool mod that I thought was worth mentioning in this thread. Basically, the mod let's you handplace over 50 different paintings, ranging from portraits to landscapes, on any wall in Skyrim (home, jarls palace, etc) Easy and simple to use, and the mod would be perfect to use with Hearthfire to build the most epic home imaginable =)

Video with instructions/demonstration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7NmlTgDi2g

Mod download page (also in vid description)
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24439

GhaleonEB

I went back to the save from right before I bought the plot of land, and am working on rebuilding. I want the alchemy lab, enchanting station, and trophy rooms. And yeah, I stopped reading the book ONE PAGE before it laid out the options for each wing. This is operator error, not Bethesda's issue.

One detail I discovered - after my kids, I learned - is that the grinding stones at the windmills now have a use. You can grind wheat into sacks of flour there, to be used to bake new food items. It's pretty great that the log mills that were basically cosmetic now have a role in the world (supplying lumber for home construction) and the windmills on farms now actually work. The way the expansion didn't just drop new stuff into the world, but makes better use of things already there as well is really quite wonderful.

Volimar

I went back to the save from right before I bought the plot of land, and am working on rebuilding. I want the alchemy lab, enchanting station, and trophy rooms. And yeah, I stopped reading the book ONE PAGE before it laid out the options for each wing. This is operator error, not Bethesda's issue.

One detail I discovered - after my kids, I learned - is that the grinding stones at the windmills now have a use. You can grind wheat into sacks of flour there, to be used to bake new food items. It's pretty great that the log mills that were basically cosmetic now have a role in the world (supplying lumber for home construction) and the windmills on farms now actually work. The way the expansion didn't just drop new stuff into the world, but makes better use of things already there as well is really quite wonderful.

If you build the enchanting tower, you might want to omit the table from it. You have another one a few feet away in the main house, and the table takes up a lot of room in the tower.

I just found my 16th stone of barenziah... Doing my best to find them without help.

MrBig

Here we go again...

Skywind-9.jpg

I'm still probably not going to ever play it without voice acting. Don't understand why these guys are so adamant on porting each game like this, the engine hasn't exactly improved by a great deal.

Truant

I'm new to the whole ENB thing. I just want some cool DOF effects and maybe motion blur. I don't need all the other stuff. What do I need to get and how?

I think I must be the only person that plays Skyrim at 856x480, low settings, and be enjoying it. Right? This is what happens when you play on an ultraportable laptop. I guess I must count my blessings as the game at least runs well for the most part. Anyone else playing the game at a low resolution and/or minimal bells and whistles?

I think I must be the only person that plays Skyrim at 856x480, low settings, and be enjoying it. Right? This is what happens when you play on an ultraportable laptop. I guess I must count my blessings as the game at least runs well for the most part. Anyone else playing the game at a low resolution and/or minimal bells and whistles?

Yeah, the 360 version.

Badum tish.

Should have waited for Ivy Bridge/Haswell. (Gosh what I crazy world we live in.)

Woorloog

Banned
Here we go again...

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/09/Skywind-9.jpg[IMG]

I'm still probably not going to ever play it without voice acting. Don't understand why these guys are so adamant on porting each game like this, the engine hasn't exactly improved by a great deal.[/QUOTE]

I prefer RPG games without voice acting, at least NPCs (outside combat shouts and and greetings and other non-dialogue voices). This allows far more text, explanations, questions, whatever. And then i don't mind the PC being voiceless.
If the game is voiced, the PC should be voiced as well. Fuck Dragon Age and its voiceless PC (and Oblivion and Skyrim).

Combat has worsened since Morrowind (where it was heavily skill-based), that's my biggest reason not to bother with Morroblivion or Skywind (not that i have Skyrim on PC though i could now play it PC actually).

Hmm. I'll reinstall Morrowind. Too bad i need to keep the CD in drive, don't like the extra noise. Need to play Tamriel Rebuilt areas finally.

[quote="Cuteness Overload, post: 42448078"]I think I must be the only person that plays Skyrim at 856x480, low settings, and be enjoying it. Right? This is what happens when you play on an ultraportable laptop. I guess I must count my blessings as the game at least runs well for the most part. Anyone else playing the game at a low resolution and/or minimal bells and whistles?[/QUOTE]
I reckon i could do that assuming i could get a shitload of mods running as well. If i were playing Skyrim on PC, i'd need a lot of system overhauls. More likely, i'd make them myself since most people fuck more things up than fix. But i have the 360 version so i won't bother.

After a couple off weeks with gaming, it seems this game did the trick of pulling me back in. I have so much stuff to do and see it's almost overwhelming. This sunday I finally did the first jobs at both thieves guild and dark brotherhood. Got scolded about the first because of my lack of finesse, however.

Not my fault I get shit done like a nord.

i went back to fallout because i felt i was missing out on something...but this game just keeps calling my name...i read this thread every day but just keep playing fallout and i don't even know why.

i think i'm just gonna beat the main campaign and just skip all the dlc so i can come back to skyrim.

love this game, can't wait to get into the extra content.

Volimar

I wish I still had fallout 3....never got to play new vegas. I'm really craving a shooter right now. But a new game is so far down the list that I don't see it happening.

So I wandered into Halldir's Cairn. That was really interesting for kind of a random quest. I like finding stuff like that seemingly out of nowhere.

Yeah, the random stuff is really what makes this game. Last night I was swimming around a river trying to find a path up a mountain, and I found an abandoned row boat full of flawless gems scattered around inside. Finders keepers!

I also recently discovered the pause console command. It's great for getting action shots.

Woorloog

Banned
Has installing mods and re-ordering them and solving conflicts beetween them (and merging leveled lists etc) gotten any easier in Skyrim?
IIRC, installing stuff to Oblivion is just as hellish as it is for Morrowind. So, what about Skyrim?
Wondering about this because i have nearly 90 folders of files waiting to be checked and installed for Morrowind. And then i need clean some of them, re-order them and generate merged leveled lists and such. Ugh.

Volimar

Hell, at this point, I could lead all my Dawnguard, Companion, College, Housecarl, etc. followers and be a detachment in and of ourselves. Sprinkle in the dark brotherhood and thieves guild to cause trouble here and there and we'd be a real force to be reckoned with, not to mention my
summoned dragon
. I'm so ready to take the war to the elves...

I'd quite like something to do with the civil war. My Skyrim is now independent, Ulfric is High King... now what?

Join Galmar in training the forces of Skyrim's new army (and navy!) by taking the fight to the Falmer, and freeing the human slaves of Blackreach! First the underground, then the Summerset Isles!

Oh my god, I've outdone myself. That would actually be a good premise for a whole new game.

Woorloog

Banned
Join Galmar in training the forces of Skyrim's new army (and navy!) by taking the fight to the Falmer, and freeing the human slaves of Blackreach! First the underground, then the Summerset Isles!

Oh my god, I've outdone myself. That would actually be a good premise for a whole new game.

Wait, i'll form a navy, and take it underground?

It took me 3 days to download, unpack, select, install and re-order nearly 90 mods for Morrowind. And now i still need to do some tweaking, namely cleaning some of them. And i think i need house mod still.
I'm not ever going to get Skyrim for PC, not unless modding no longer requires load order tweaking, cleaning and whatever...

JDdelphin

Those damn dirty stinkin' falmer....

Because after you put down the Falmer, then the Aldmeri Dominion gets an ass kicking as well

(at least that's how I read it)

I see.

I think that, if we see the next Great War on-screen, it'll be in a new game, not an expansion. Maybe the Elder Scrolls VI will take place on Summerset Isle and allow you to choose between the Empire and the Thalmor. Or maybe they'll just skip all of that and do something else.

Nohar

After finally acquiring a new computer, I'm enjoying Skyrim to its fullest. I also installed some mods, such as 2K HD Textures, Flora Overhaul, Climate of Tamriel (gosh, the beautiful scenery... And those blinding snow storm. Really. Blinding), SkyUI and so forth.

However, I'm conflicted... Which faction should I support ?
I'm Khajiit, so obviously I'm not really happy with the Second Aldmeri Dominion, which more or less control the Empire, annexed my kingdom and enslaved my race. I couldn't care less about the worshipping of Talos, but I don't see the abolition wanted by the Thalmors as a good thing. If it wasn't for the Thalmors, I would have sided with the Imperials without a second thought. Also, this "advisor" in the Winterhold college pisses me off to no end (yes, I'm a proud mage).

On the other hand, Ulfric isn't very kind towards people who aren't Nords and began a civil war by murdering the former high-king. Nords aren't the only people living in Skyrim, and even some Nords don't hesitate to condemn Ulfric's attitude (such as the one who ask us to take care of bandits who attack non-Nords, since the Windhelm guards won't do anything about it). Heck, there even is a district for ostracised dark elves in Windhelm. A lot of non-Nords people live in Skyrim, and only want to live a peaceful life, having their lives and families here. Also, if Ulfric becomes the new High-King and allow the free worship of Talos, the Dominion might seize this opportunity to spark once again the flames of war, something the Empire and Skyrim really don't need.

Well, I can only congratulate the writers for making hesitate like this. I love this universe.

I had a similar dilemma with my second character and I still haven't joined either faction. There are plenty of other quests that fit her character much more.

Empire forever, bro's.

l8HW9l.png

*sniff*

In all honesty, both have their good and their bad sides. In the end, though, I think the Empire's good outweighs the Stormcloak's racism and xenophobia. Plus, the Empire aren't as friendly with the Thalmor as you might think, either.

JDdelphin

It's up in the air, really that's what's so interesting about it.

A lot of Nords in Skyrim do seem to dislike strangers and people of other nationalities, although they are an occupied nation that's worried about having their culture/religion destroyed so I can see it being somewhat justified (not in every case, but overall)

They take in those fleeing from the Empire, but they don't embrace them as brothers- this is true... but neither do they systematically attempt to repress and exterminate them.
No matter what the wacky fringe of the population says, most Nords seem like a nice simple people who for the most part want to be left alone to live their lives in their own culture.

The whole civil war plot is driven by two sides who ultimately want the same thing but can't agree on how to get it, Elsif (and her dead husband) want to be subversive about it and work politically, Ulfric disagrees and feels the need to take an aggressive stand...

That's what's so great about the drama- two sides that care so much about the preservation of their homeland and culture, only they can't see that working together is the only real way to hope to stand up to the empire- same goal, it just two different plans to get it.
It's tragic.

I really hope there's a civil war expansion in the dlc.
Having a civil war in Skyrim only helps the Empire and the Thalmor (who are massively dangerous racist/xenophobic/zealot/fascist/nasty/jerks and not just scared loudmouth thugs who are in over their heads mentally/politically) and the Imperials just end up stuck again in their own mess...

Ugh those high elves...

Such a good story lol

It's up in the air, really that's what's so interesting about it.

A lot of Nords in Skyrim do seem to dislike strangers and people of other nationalities, although they are an occupied nation that's worried about having their culture/religion destroyed so I can see it being somewhat justified (not in every case, but overall)

They take in those fleeing from the Empire, but they don't embrace them as brothers- this is true... but neither do they systematically attempt to repress and exterminate them.
No matter what the wacky fringe of the population says, most Nords seem like a nice simple people who for the most part want to be left alone to live their lives in their own culture.

The whole civil war plot is driven by two sides who ultimately want the same thing but can't agree on how to get it, Elsif (and her dead husband) want to be subversive about it and work politically, Ulfric disagrees and feels the need to take an aggressive stand...

That's what's so great about the drama- two sides that care so much about the preservation of their homeland and culture, only they can't see that working together is the only real way to hope to stand up to the empire- same goal, it just two different plans to get it.
It's tragic.

I really hope there's a civil war expansion in the dlc.
Having a civil war in Skyrim only helps the Empire and the Thalmor (who are massively dangerous racist/xenophobic/zealot/fascist/nasty/jerks and not just scared loudmouth thugs who are in over their heads mentally/politically) and the Imperials just end up stuck again in their own mess...

Ugh those high elves...

Such a good story lol

The Civil War weakens the Empire and Skyrim, and only helps the Thalmor. They're intent on keeping it going, even, just so both sides are weakened when they eventually attack.

Plus, I wouldn't call the Nords 'oppressed'. They've been a part of the Empire for over 600 years, and have largely been left alone. Only after the Great War did they have a reason to resent the Empire.

Interestingly enough, (endgame spoiler)
if Ulfric is in Sovngarde during the 'Sovngarde'-quest, he expresses regret at instigating a rebellion.

JDdelphin

I'm not here to argue.

The Thalmor suck.
Otherwise, nobody in the game is perfect- but everyone is better, it's really up to personal opinion how you order the factions. there's is no straight up good/bad or right/wrong (besides thalmor are a-holes)
-and that's awesome.

Ultimately, that was my point.

-and big U second guesses/regrets everything he does (or 'has to do', in his opinion) the whole time, he's just committed to his path of action and is too proud/too interested in his own honor to back down. Again, another layer of good writing.

GhaleonEB

I also really enjoyed the shades of grey on both sides of the civil war. It caused me enough pause that I couldn't get myself to take sides with most of my characters. Ultimately I created one character specifically for the Civil War quest line, with a back story that justified their decision; I did this with a different character, one for each side. All my other characters have stayed neutral. (If I had to choose one side, it would be the Empire - but it's not an easy call.)

I thought it pretty great that the writing was good enough to motivate me to change the way I played the game, in response to it. There aren't too many other instances I can think of in Skyrim - or most RPGs, for that matter - where I did the same.

I'm not here to argue.

The Thalmor suck.
Otherwise, nobody in the game is perfect- but everyone is better, it's really up to personal opinion how you order the factions. there's is no straight up good/bad or right/wrong (besides thalmor are a-holes)
-and that's awesome.

Ultimately, that was my point.

Yup, pretty much.

Fucking Thalmor.

Because after you put down the Falmer, then the Aldmeri Dominion gets an ass kicking as well

(at least that's how I read it)
Yep, that's more or less how I meant it. Give the new recruits some battle experience against the Falmer before you send them against the Thalmor.
The Civil War weakens the Empire and Skyrim, and only helps the Thalmor. They're intent on keeping it going, even, just so both sides are weakened when they eventually attack.

Plus, I wouldn't call the Nords 'oppressed'. They've been a part of the Empire for over 600 years, and have largely been left alone. Only after the Great War did they have a reason to resent the Empire.

Interestingly enough, (endgame spoiler)
if Ulfric is in Sovngarde during the 'Sovngarde'-quest, he expresses regret at instigating a rebellion.
The civil war weakens both sides, which is why the best thing you can do, no matter which side you pick, is to end it as quickly as possible.
Speaking as a committed Stormcloak, the Nords haven't had a reason to resent the Empire for a long time, but they sure as heck have one now. As for that scene in the afterlife, I'm pretty sure it happens because you've sided with the Imperials and the game is trying to tell you that you made a good decision. As I recall,
Rikke expresses regret in Sovngarde as well.

Yep, that's more or less how I meant it. Give the new recruits some battle experience against the Falmer before you send them against the Thalmor.

The civil war weakens both sides, which is why the best thing you can do, no matter which side you pick, is to end it as quickly as possible.
Speaking as a committed Stormcloak, the Nords haven't had a reason to resent the Empire for a long time, but they sure as heck have one now. As for that scene in the afterlife, I'm pretty sure it happens because you've sided with the Imperials and the game is trying to tell you that you made a good decision. As I recall,
Rikke expresses regret in Sovngarde as well.

It's something along the lines of
this folly has weakened us all
, if I recall. Basically, both sides end the same way. With another war brewing.

Top Bottom