• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Seems i fucked up massively..

The Black Star just gives a better gameplay benefit because all Black Souls (i.e. Forsworn or random bandits) are considered Grand Souls. Since Azura's quest doesn't seem to have any level restriction it means you get Grand Soul access faster since at least up to Level 25, I haven't even encountered a Grand Soul bearing creature.

For the Black Star:
when you retrieve the Star, give it to Nelacar in Winterhold. He will fix the star but it can only accept Black Souls (i.e. NPC souls).

For the regular Azura's Star:
take it back to Azura's Shrine. Azura herself will fix the star after the same scene. The Azura Priestess at the shrine will also become a follower. The Azura's Star is still a reusable soul gem, it just works on creatures.

The final gameplay event in this quest
also seems to be one of only a few places so far I've found Daedra Hearts (which you use to create Daedric Armor). It doesn't seem like there are many Daedra in this game beyond this and the Mehrunes Dagon quest. For whatever reason, I chose the regular one because I wanted to hear Azura's dialogue since I always find the Daedric Prince dialogue amusing.

pringles

Ok, so. Balanced version of Skyrim. Any additions to this list?

No Enchanting or Smithing. Not much to explain here. More than likely the least balanced thing about Skyrim.

No Conjuring or Companions. Any sort of allied NPCs don't suffer a damage/defense penalty on higher difficulty modes (just like Oblivion lol) and are thus unbalanced. Yes, your companion and summons kill things on Master just as easily as they do on normal.

No Shadow Warrior Perk (in the Sneak tree). This prevents you from being technically invincible because you can hit and run without the enemy ever finding you.

No Shields. Sorry, shield bash spammers. Makes the game far too easy.

The balance of game rules falls on the developers, not the players, by the way. Being a sandbox game is not an excuse.
You mean boring version of Skyrim, right?

Let's see:

* I know combinations of enchanting/smithing (and alchemy) can grant you some very powerful stuff. But the average gamer is not going to create unbalanced stuff using it, especially not early in the game. You need to kind of go out of your way to break the game with it. Especially in the case of Enchanting. You have to learn how to soul trap, get a large amount of soul gems.. then find enchanted weapons/armor that you can break down to learn the enchants etc.
You don't accidentally reach 100 smithing and 100 enchanting at level 10 and kill the balance of the game.

* Companions totally suck imo. I have Lydia with me and I constantly have to reload saves because she dies. She's nothing more than a walking chest to me... ehh, talking about a chest as in the kind you put items in that is. Maybe if I gave her some really good weapons and armor she'd be better, but I'm still unsure that she'd be overpowered.

* To get the Shadow Warrior perk you need 100 sneak. Once you get that you should be quite far into the game and have spent more time crouching than standing up. You SHOULD be rewarded with a very powerful perk. Getting powerful late in Elder Scrolls games is a GOOD thing, not something they should take away. See no problem with this.

* No shields? hmm, I don't use one that much so I can't say for sure.. but if you use one you can either not use a sword or no magic, right? That's a pretty big trade so for ANYONE to even want to use a shield, they need to be useful. Now that you mention that they're so good, maybe I'll have to do more of a close-combat character and try them.

Darkman M

The Black Star just gives a better gameplay benefit because all Black Souls (i.e. Forsworn or random bandits) are considered Grand Souls. Since Azura's quest doesn't seem to have any level restriction it means you get Grand Soul access faster since at least up to Level 25, I haven't even encountered a Grand Soul bearing creature.

For the Black Star:
when you retrieve the Star, give it to Nelacar in Winterhold. He will fix the star but it can only accept Black Souls (i.e. NPC souls). s.

take it back to Azura's Shrine. Azura herself will fix the star after the same scene. The Azura Priestess at the shrine will also become a follower. The Azura's Star is still a reusable soul gem, it just works on creatures.

also seems to be one of only a few places so far I've found Daedra Hearts (which you use to create Daedric Armor). It doesn't seem like there are many Daedra in this game beyond this and the Mehrunes Dagon quest. For whatever reason, I chose the regular one because I wanted to hear Azura's dialogue since I always find the Daedric Prince dialogue amusing.

Yeah i fucked up and got Azuras star had no idea about the black star, sounds so much better for me.

i'm a newcomer to the series and haven't popped the disc into my ps3 yet. i have zero experience with this type of game. does anybody have any tips? is there a good race or optimal skills that a noob like me should use?

Smithing and Enchanting are probably the easiest way to break the game. You can get up to max smithing by crafting cheap, low level items repeatedly and proceed to craft yourself really nice gear long before you're supposed to have access to it.

Don't feel too constrained by the thief-mage-warrior trinity. It's very possible to mix-and-match archetypes, and there's very few mechanical features pushing you into one role over another. For example, there's no spell failure for wearing heavier armor, and while robes will tend to have better enchantments for mages, you can enchant heavier armor yourself with the bonuses you need, if you want to play an armored caster. Likewise, if you're primarily a warrior, you can still utilize a school of magic or two successfully without having to invest too many of your level ups into magicka, if you spend a few of your perks there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You mean boring version of Skyrim, right?

Let's see:

* I know combinations of enchanting/smithing (and alchemy) can grant you some very powerful stuff. But the average gamer is not going to create unbalanced stuff using it, especially not early in the game. You need to kind of go out of your way to break the game with it. Especially in the case of Enchanting. You have to learn how to soul trap, get a large amount of soul gems.. then find enchanted weapons/armor that you can break down to learn the enchants etc.
You don't accidentally reach 100 smithing and 100 enchanting at level 10 and kill the balance of the game.

* Companions totally suck imo. I have Lydia with me and I constantly have to reload saves because she dies. She's nothing more than a walking chest to me... ehh, talking about a chest as in the kind you put items in that is. Maybe if I gave her some really good weapons and armor she'd be better, but I'm still unsure that she'd be overpowered.

* To get the Shadow Warrior perk you need 100 sneak. Once you get that you should be quite far into the game and have spent more time crouching than standing up. You SHOULD be rewarded with a very powerful perk. Once again, getting powerful late in Elder Scrolls games is a GOOD thing, not something they should take away. See no problem with this.

* No shields? hmm, I don't use one that much so I can't say for sure.. but if you use one you can either not use a sword or no magic, right? That's a pretty big trade so for ANYONE to even want to use a shield, they need to be useful. Now that you mention that they're so good, maybe I'll have to do more of a close-combat character and try them.

I don't know how anyone finds stuff in Skyrim broken given the ease of getting to 100% Chameleon in Oblivion, which broke the game in every way. In this game it doesn't even seem like Invisibility is much more than 80% chameleon in Oblivion. I've gotten caught using Shadow Stone power when not sneaking slowly enough.

I've never brought a Companion with me anywhere even though I have Lydia. The problem is I hate babysitting NPCs in any game and I don't think Companions feel right in this or any other ES game.

Yeah i fucked up and got Azuras star had no idea about the black star, sounds so much better for me.
Interestingly enough, I actually think there are more NPCs to encounter than creatures. Creatures tend to be just encountered semi-randomly but once you get a bearing on where you're going and using Fast Travel, you see a lot less of them. Every once in a while though a giant Snow Bear come and fucks my shit up lol

Loxley

what the fuck.
DnOsI.png

do they not put sleeves inside the cases anymore? lol i opened the game out of the shrink wrap and the sleeve was just wrapped around it.

The hell? Must've been a factory screw-up. Weird...

Wallach

No Enchanting or Smithing. Not much to explain here. More than likely the least balanced thing about Skyrim.

No Conjuring or Companions. Any sort of allied NPCs don't suffer a damage/defense penalty on higher difficulty modes (just like Oblivion lol) and are thus unbalanced. Yes, your companion and summons kill things on Master just as easily as they do on normal.

No Shadow Warrior Perk (in the Sneak tree). This prevents you from being technically invincible because you can hit and run without the enemy ever finding you.

The balance of game rules falls on the developers, not the players, by the way. Being a sandbox game is not an excuse.

No perks, no racial abilities, no items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What happens if I join the companions? Can you join only one guild?

For the Black Star:
when you retrieve the Star, give it to Nelacar in Winterhold. He will fix the star but it can only accept Black Souls (i.e. NPC souls).

Daedra Hearts:
You can buy them from a guy at the College of Winterhold.

Your version of Skyrim sucks.

Clevinger

I never want to play your version.

Luthos

So after having to fix a slight over-heating problem with my computer, I finally got to sit down and play it (again).

It defaulted straight to high settings, and has been running buttery smooth. I'm surprised it's running so smooth on my system. Very impressive, and looks much better than the PS3 version (obviously). I'm glad I switched versions.

Although I spent a good 50+ hours into my Nord warrior on the PS3 version, I'm ready sink some more ridiculously large amount of hours into the PC version, which I'm playing a Breton mage.

Yo Gotti

Banned

What?

Worst version of Skyrim.

faction questlines, too.

Dungeons. Quests. Random loot.

because they're stolen, you need to advance in the thieves guild missions or get really
high in speech to shift stolen stuff. better stuff appears as you level up, shops start
selling the good stuff as the game steps up. lot of goodies in dungeons though

or just steal, rich places have locked cabinets with nice weapons

Awesome, thanks for the tips, I just joined the stormcloaks, hopefully I'll get some stuff from them.

I'm convinced this is a troll post.

I understand how you break smithing by building a ton of daggers, but how do you break enchanting? Enchanting those daggers?

THat's part of it. Enchanting doesn't take very much time to level, and you can make a tidy profit once you've got a few of the really good enchantments (banishing especially). I just made sure I had a ton of petty and common soul gems (the vendors at the mage college always have plenty) and captured souls whenever possible (make sure to kill the random rams or deer around to capture their souls!), and enchanted the iron daggers I was making to level up my smithing. It's leveling up pretty quickly.

Angry Grimace

The only two things that need to be fixed in this game:

1) Guards need to either not attack random dragons OR not give you a bounty/attack you when they stupidly run in between the dragon and your attacks.

2) Guards need to stop telling you to not Shout. Fuck you, Whiterun Guard. I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.

eek5

The only two things that need to be fixed in this game:

1) Guards need to either not attack random dragons OR not give you a bounty/attack you when they stupidly run in between the dragon and your attacks.

2) Guards need to stop telling you to not Shout. Fuck you, Whiterun Guard. I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.

I'm slowly assassinating all the whiterun guards. Nobody tells me what to do!

Tain

Making Skyrim into a skill-based action game is going to require doing way more than that. Tons of well-selected checkpoints with no quicksaves anywhere, huge amounts of very specific enemy positioning, way less places to sleep/wait, hell, you'd probably need to throw the combat out entirely and rebuild it. Making it simply "more balanced" (not always the way to go, IMO) would be best achieved by actually reworking the systems and abilities you mention instead of cutting the elements out, though.

I mean, I see what you're going for, but I just don't think any of the Bethesda games are salvageable.

Man this sucks I beat the dragon at Shearpoint and then I go to get the shout on the wall and a Dragon Priest pops out to destroy me. Nothing I do will work against the guy so I abandoned it until I level up more.

eek5

Well, I saw
that there are things you have to activate
, but I have no idea what they are or what they do. Will I find out on my own eventually?

You'll eventually come across it. If you want a hint
pay attention to some of the load screens. you'll see that area in one of them ;)

I've usually played Dark Elves or Redguards or even sometimes Orcs in TES games but this time I decided to make a Khajhit and have fallen in love with it. I don't think I'm ever going back.

iNvid02

I've usually played Dark Elves or Redguards or even sometimes Orcs in TES games but this time I decided to make a Khajhit and have fallen in love with it. I don't think I'm ever going back.

for sure, the night eye ability really comes in handy in dungeons. mine
looks like a tiger, pretty badass

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok guys, I got too much shit on me, especially books. Only 2000g, can't buy the house yet. What do I do??

HTuran

I'm the goddam Dovahkiin.

MNLIYl.jpg

Watch me roll.

qeijMl.jpg

it's not even that, as a stealth character i barely got hit, so my stealth was super high while my other skills weren't. so now i gotta play like a barbarian to level 1h... and make sure i get hit all the time.
Exact same here. Stealth and Archery are at 100 and 80, whereas Light Armour and One-Handed are at ~50. I think it might be because stealth one-handed kills count towards Stealth rather than One-Handed. Anyone confirm?

Angry Grimace

I have none yet. Can I just go in the Companions' building and put stuff in a chest, or will it disappear?

lol that's not the kind of companion they meant. There's really no way I can see you being full up on stuff and carrying nothing extraneous given books weigh 1 pound unless you're carrying 20 dragon bones or something. You might want to go find the Steed Stone is this is a recurring problem, too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm at 450/310. And the worst is not finding a vendor who will buy my crap. I hate how specific vendors buy specific things from you. I must have like 50 books. I'll throw them in the water if this continues.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Imperials/Stormcloak spoilers:

Okay, the head Stormcloak guy is a dickhead. A racist one. I was leaning to joining his cause, but fuck him. Going Imperial. Then if they fuck with me, I'll murder them all. I'm the fuckin' Dovahkiin!

Angry Grimace

I'm at 450/310. And the worst is not finding a vendor who will buy my crap. I hate how specific vendors buy specific things from you. I must have like 50 books. I'll throw them in the water if this continues.

Vendors only buy stuff that's semi-related to what they sell for the most part. The fences are an exception and tend to buy anything.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

Okay, the head Stormcloak guy is a dickhead. A racist one. I was leaning to joining his cause, but fuck him. Going Imperial. Then if they fuck with me, I'll murder them all. I'm the fuckin' Dovahkiin!

excellent.

Styles

One of my radiant quest still hasn't updated yet. I have the item. The indicator is still stuck at the treasure chest, but there's nothing in there I've already taken everything! Am I fucked?

Stupid random location and it's random chest!

Forkball

what the fuck.
DnOsI.png

do they not put sleeves inside the cases anymore? lol i opened the game out of the shrink wrap and the sleeve was just wrapped around it.

Even the boxes have bugs.

Speaking of that, the game has been crashing a lot more. Typically when I fast travel. Strange since for about 15 hours it was perfectly fine. I guess going that long without bugs was too confusing for my computer so it decided to crap out randomly.

eek5

One of my radiant quest still hasn't updated yet. I have the item. The indicator is still stuck at the treasure chest, but there's nothing in there I've already taken everything! Am I fucked?

Stupid random location and it's random chest!

I have one where I had to find a book and I already have the book but it won't move on. I tried to use console but I have so many open quests that I couldn't find it. I've seriously had this sitting in my inventory since one of my earliest saves at like level 8. I'm in the 60s now :lol

Styles

I have one where I had to find a book and I already have the book but it won't move on. I tried to use console but I have so many open quests that I couldn't find it. I've seriously had this sitting in my inventory since one of my earliest saves at like level 8. I'm in the 60s now :lol

Yeah I think that's the same quest. Did you get it the quest from that guy in College of Winterhold in the Archadeum?

markot

Banned
you dont have to pick a side vis a vis imperials and racists, in the main quest, im up to trying to make peace between them!

>.<

But yeah, the imperials are jerks too, letting elves walk all over them like they are elf rugs!

Echoplx

I'm sure you'd be racist if the only interactions you had with those people is of them trying to destroy you.

Top Bottom