• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

kris.

Banned
hot. damn. i just finished up Bleak Falls Barrow and upon leaving the cave, my load time was MAYBE a second. this is too much for me, man. it's so smooth.

WTF from a Helgen chest:

skyrimse2016-10-2802-oysnq.png

I hope you map this location for the rest of us.

Never finished my original save of Skyrim so I was kind of looking forward to this. Low settings are a disappointment though.

Add to that, character modules have this weird greyish moving splotches on them.
RqEXOQ4.jpg

They're incredibly distracting.

womp

Just a heads up for people who may be new to the PC version of the game...a little trick if you want to skip that launcher window at startup...

Go into your Skyrim Steam installation directory and rename 'SkyrimSELauncher.exe' to 'SkyrimSELauncher.BAK' or simply cut and paste the exe to a remote directory elsewhere. After that take the 'SkyrimSE.exe' and rename it to 'SkyrimSELauncher.exe'

You can now start the game without that annoying ass configuration launcher window and right into the game itself.

Peterthumpa

Wait, so I need to own all the DLC to have it for free? Only the vanilla game isn't enough?
If positive, can I still buy the DLC only to get it for free?

Trace

Banned
I hope you map this location for the rest of us.

I looted the same chest, it's not there on the PC version at least. Probably put it in there for lulz.

Wait, so I need to own all the DLC to have it for free? Only the vanilla game isn't enough?
If positive, can I still buy the DLC only to get it for free?

Vanilla game isn't enough because the special edition includes all the DLC. You have up until the end of tomorrow if you want to buy the DLC and you can still get it, although I don't really think I would consider it "free" at that point.

Learned about this late, but the only DLC I was missing was Dragonborn - so I just purchased that.

Now, where can I find the SE in my library? I have restarted a few times but no dice...

People who own Skyrim + all DLC before the SE launch are eligible for the free upgrade. If you bought it after it's released, maybe you missed the deadline?

Or maybe just wait for several hours or a day. They've stated that they're delivering the free SE manually. It may take up to 36 hours.

RK9039

c'mon guys, 'player.additem 0000000f "number" ' for Gold.

I know this game inside out.

'player.modav carryweight' OVER 9000!

Anyway, whoever said this version looks the same as vanilla Skyrim really needs to go back and install the old version. This is clearly a step up. Few hitches here and there but on my old 2gb 680 I'm at 60fps pretty much always. Even the grass density seems higher:

28.oct.2016-03.04.19.zcszp.png

Just need some graphics mods like ENBs, lighting mods, HD textures, grass and trees etc.

ed: Oh yeah, Godrays at medium, everything else on high.

980Ti&i7-4790K here. Everything maxed out at 1440p, Had the same problem of fps dropping down to single digits and going back up again, check to see if it was mods causing the problem... It wasn't, I turned down god rays to see if that helped... It didn't, but, I enabled Borderless Windowed mode. Fixed it, now I have a smooth framerate. Hope that helps if anyone else has the same problem

So how do you get the special edition to show up? I have the game and all DLC and its not showing up in my library.

I bought the remaining dlc this morning (about 7.30am AU EST time), ~3 hours before unlock and the SE showed up in my library around an hour later. They have said though they if you buy all the DLC on the 28th it could be up to 36 hours before the SE appears for you.

they should have left the PC mods on steam workshop but now i have to shift through a bunch of mods tailored for the XB1 and PS4.

Mesoian

Haha, game still super glitches out the physics if you get it over 60 fps.

I didn't think they'd fix that, it's just humorous. Gotta lock it down upon save.

Was never into RPGs, but bought Witcher 3 because of the killer reviews and I enjoyed it. Although I did lose I interest in the side quests and just finished the main story after the first area.

How would you guys say this compares to Witcher 3, I'm thinking of picking it up.

vgamer1

Was never into RPGs, but bought Witcher 3 because of the killer reviews and I enjoyed it. Although I did lose I interest in the side quests and just finished the main story after the first area.

How would you guys say this compares to Witcher 3, I'm thinking of picking it up.

I'd say the sidequests are the meat of the game. If you like exploring/picking up quests/customizing your build then it's for you.

Lister

Banned

It doesn't compare at all.

They're both open world, and there's some time wasting stuff to do, but Skyrim is pretty empty and shallow compared to the Witcher 3. It's story also doesn't hold a candle, especially when it comes ot the piecemeal narratives that cna be found in most nooks and crannies of the Witcher3.

Skyrim's Combat while simplistic, might be more fun than the Witcher's though.

It's been a while.

RK9039

Witcher 3 is better in every way imo, although in this game you can play however you want: sneak, magic, melee and each has there own tiers within it. Your character is a blank canvas basically, unlike Geralt. Main story is worse, combat is worse and most of the quests are fetch quests.

The big thing with Skyrim is modding, that why they game is always in the top ~10 on Steam everyday. I think it's worth checking if you've never played it before.

You know there are plenty of people who don't have access to console commands because they don't play on PC, right? lol.

Yeah it was a joke :p

RK9039

You're kidding right? :eek:

Well the point is, it's only a small upgrade from vanilla PC - which can be modded. So for some poeple it's not worth playing at this time and I don't blame them for not wanting to drop their modded Skyrim.

It will only get better as more mods come out.

This remaster looks pretty good for sure, but my memories of Skyrim are of a heavily modded version that looked gorgeous not a 720p blurry brown/grey mess that the console version where, so some people won't see as much of a difference in visual quality, it just depends on your perspective, doesn't make either wrong or right.

It doesn't compare at all.

They're both open world, and there's some time wasting stuff to do, but Skyrim is pretty empty and shallow compared to the Witcher 3. It's story also doesn't hold a candle, especially when it comes ot the piecemeal narratives that cna be found in most nooks and crannies of the Witcher3.

Skyrim's Combat while simplistic, might be more fun than the Witcher's though.

It's been a while.
I pray no one ever puts a gun to my head and makes me choose between Skyrim's and Witcher 3's combat.

Gaz_RB

Already fucked up my game with mods and it won't load.

Feels good to be back.

Edit: I've been using the Bethesda framework for modding (as I plan to do until SKSE), and I downloaded something called "Gifts of Akatosh". Disabled that and it started working.

RK9039

I had my first glitch.

Can you see it?

How about now?

It's a fucking bird stuck in the tree!

Welcome to Skyrim bitch.

I'm not beginning my next playthrough til Skyui and other mods are out. It's not really that surprising.

I'm too used to my model skyrim I forgot how bad the default faces look :X

Yeah the default faces are trash, fucking hell. Even back then it was trash. At least in this one the default DoF kicks in and I get distracted.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The differences between this and the original release didn't really hit me until I made it out of the starter cave and started heading to Riverwood. I LOVE how dense all of the spaces are now and the lighting and weather keep making me stop and just take in the scenery. I just got to Whiterun and saw the hi-res moon rising in the sky:

I had my first glitch.

Welcome to Skyrim bitch.

lol! I had the same thing happen! I keep hearing a weird sound and I tracked it down to a tree. When I looked into the tree, I saw the bird!

dadjumper

Got it preloaded at home, looking forward to jumping in after work. Never played the DLC so there's a lot left in there for me, and I played vanilla on lowest on some crappy laptop. Tried messing with mods for vanilla a few weeks back but couldn't get it working properly so was looking forward to a no-hassle solution for decent graphics. Hyped.

Chumley

Banned
Alright, played a few hours. Feels great, looks great, but I wanna wait for the big mods to get ported over before I sink into it.

Wallach

Welcome to Skyrim bitch.

Yeah that bug has been around in vanilla Skyrim for years. I'm actually used to looking for it when you first cross the Riverwood bridge every time you start a new character.

Chumley

Banned

Witcher 3 blows this out of the water in every way besides combat, but Skyrim has atmosphere/exploration that never gets old.

Top Bottom