• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

rashbeep

Banned
Wait does this mean I can create a new character but load a current save with that new character and not have to start all over?

Pretty sure all it means is it's just a way of sorting your savegames by character, instead of looking through an entire list of saves to find the character you want.

red731

Why so snarky? Most of that discussion is around ps4/xbo.

Do you even check the thread?

:( Pardon. Yeah, in that case that is a problem.

I don't know how they could check and allow visual changes without disabling the mods on consoles.

I guess all mods there have one flag and that is "mod".

IconGrist

Still possible to duplicate arrows in some way? I found some Ebony arrows during the Thieves Guild quest and would like to stock up.

Brohan

Just started the game and was wondering if it is normal for Camilia Valerius to have pathfinding problems when showing you the way out of town for the golden claw quest?

Or is it because i installed a few mods?

Hesitant to continue playing in fear or all npcs having pathfinding issues...

RangerX

Banned
So I haven't really been following this.Have they fixed any of the gameplay issues or is it just a graphics update? Not talking about mods now.

IconGrist

Just started the game and was wondering if it is normal for Camilia Valerius to have pathfinding problems when showing you the way out of town for the golden claw quest?

I'm mod free and I couldn't get to her to guide me to the bridge. She always just stopped at the corner of the Inn and stared at me.

I have played this game several times over the years (first on 360 and now ps4) and the only time she has worked right was the first time I played it. I'm not going to say npc pathfinding is perfect, but I don't think you'll find any as messed up as that one.

Recreat3

Bought the game today. Will be my first playthrough ever abd my first big rpg since the witcher 3. Im excited to see what all the hype is about.

Any tips tor newcomers?

The Dude

Bought the game today. Will be my first playthrough ever abd my first big rpg since the witcher 3. Im excited to see what all the hype is about.

Any tips tor newcomers?

It's atmospheric, it can be dark and creepy, or calm and beautiful.... It's one of the greatest series of all time. However don't expect incredible melee combat, it's ES biggest flaw. But everything else is incredible

Recreat3

Follow the main storyline until the first major battle, you'll know when you get to it. Then just go do whatever.

Sounds like pretty good advice. Im probably not going to binge the game but just play a couple hours here and there. i need to spread my gaming time between all the new releases...but this will be a good time sink whenever i feel like being immersed in a huge world with plenty of quests etc.

Any tips tor newcomers?

Start with downloading the unofficial patch, if you're not on a PS4. Will make things a lot less likely to break in the future. As for other mods, play the game in its otherwise unchanged form first. You probably should also grab the Acheivement Mods enabler on Nexus if you're on PC so you can still have them. (Can't get around that if you're on Xbox, though.)

Don't change the difficulty the first time around. Get a feel at how the default Adept difficulty (normal) plays first. See how things play out, then decide if you want to reduce the difficulty or grab a combat mod. I don't think there's a perfect set of mods for anyone, so trying things out, including unmodded is pretty important.

And yep, play the main story (and maybe The Golden Claw if you got it before getting to your first major settlement), and defeat your first dragon before doing anything else, really.

Don't rush the main story after that point. You're too underlevelled at that point, as the next main story quest will have some enemies that will make short work of you if you just went ahead. Side quests and factions, first!

Just a reminder to those on PC, the console command "showracemenu" still works on SE.

It will evenly distribute any points you put into Magicka, Health and Stamina evenly across the 3, just like before, but its a nice fall back if you aren't happy with your character's race or look.

Recreat3

Start with downloading the unofficial patch, if you're not on a PS4. Will make things a lot less likely to break in the future. As for other mods, play the game in its otherwise unchanged form first. You probably should also grab the Acheivement Mods enabler on Nexus if you're on PC so you can still have them. (Can't get around that if you're on Xbox, though.)

Don't change the difficulty the first time around. Get a feel at how the default Adept difficulty (normal) plays first. See how things play out, then decide if you want to reduce the difficulty or grab a combat mod. I don't think there's a perfect set of mods for anyone, so trying things out, including unmodded is pretty important.

And yep, play the main story (and maybe The Golden Claw if you got it before getting to your first major settlement), and defeat your first dragon before doing anything else, really.

Don't rush the main story after that point. You're too underlevelled at that point, as the next main story quest will have some enemies that will make short work of you if you just went ahead. Side quests and factions, first!
Im on xb1. Unofficial patch? I had a patch download a bit above 500mb. Is this unnoficial one a mod and will it disable achievements?

Sounds like pretty good advice. Im probably not going to binge the game but just play a couple hours here and there. i need to spread my gaming time between all the new releases...but this will be a good time sink whenever i feel like being immersed in a huge world with plenty of quests etc.

I'd say go just a little further in the main story and go see the greybeards they'll give you good stuff and it takes 10 minutes.

batfax

Wish there was a mod for Xbox to reset my skill and perk points. Wasted a few I want back...

The Dragonborn expansion has the ability to respec trees. Also, I think the Ordinator perk overhaul (if there's an XB compatible one) is a great mod and also allows you to respec both for free at the start, and you can craft something to do it I believe.

DeaDPo0L84

The Dragonborn expansion has the ability to respec trees. Also, I think the Ordinator perk overhaul (if there's an XB compatible one) is a great mod and also allows you to respec both for free at the start, and you can craft something to do it I believe.

Awesome thanks for the tips! Man im new to modding but today there are even more and more released. Its difficult to stay away from the ones that allow you to level up insane amounts or have every item in the game. But I want to stay as normal as possible..

Im on xb1. Unofficial patch? I had a patch download a bit above 500mb. Is this unnoficial one a mod and will it disable achievements?

Was there an official patch for the SE today?

The unofficial patch is a mod and can be found in the Mods menu. Should be one of the top mods, about a bit over half a gig itself, too. It will disable achievements, so judge if you want fixes or achievements.

Meffer

So I got this on my PS4 and upon playing it. I noticed that it's display area is bigger than my screen meaning some words are cut off buy a letter. I checked the options but it appears that there's no setting to adjust it. And I adjusted the the setting in the PS4's menu but it doesn't change it in the game.
Any advice or is this a problem for the PS4 version?

So I got this on my PS4 and upon playing it. I noticed that it's display area is bigger than my screen meaning some words are cut off buy a letter. I checked the options but it appears that there's no setting to adjust it. And I adjusted the the setting in the PS4's menu but it doesn't change it in the game.

This game basically assumes no overscan for the UI

Turn it off on your TV if you are able to and see if it helps.

If it can't, you might need to wait for a patch, which I'm not sure if that will happen for this particular issue.

Meffer

This game basically assumes no overscan for the UI

Turn it off on your TV if you are able to and see if it helps.

If it can't, you might need to wait for a patch, which I'm not sure if that will happen for this particular issue.

That fixed it, thanks dude!

Damn. I have a build with AMD FX 8350 Radeon R9 290x 4gb gaming edition, 16 gb of ram. And this game tells me I have to run it at high?

Also, it looks choppy as hell.

Damn. I have a build with AMD FX 8350 Radeon R9 290x 4gb gaming edition, 16 gb of ram. And this game tells me I have to run it at high?

Also, it looks choppy as hell.

Odd, get the latest drivers, make sure you're not on a power saver plan, and consider turning down god rays to lower settings, and restart the computer. You should also consider that the FX-8350 isn't ideal for gaming loads, especially on AMD video cards combined with DX11, though that shouldn't be too much of a problem with this game that threads well.

I think it's an issue with both console versions. Changing your TV settings may work. I just got used to it.

does anyone know if they changed the way dragons appear in the special edition? i remember them mostly spawning after fast travel in the original release, but i barely fast travel so i never really had that many dragon encounters

Cyros

Is anyone else having an issue using an Xbox One controller? I'm using it with the wireless adapter, and the game seems to recognize that there is a controller plugged in, and throws up controller prompts, but it won't recognize any input.

Asking again.

Even with PS4 limited mod support, I'm having a lot of fun so far. I was thinking of sending this back to Gamefly before trying out mods due to disappointment, but mods are so fun for this game.

Cyros

When you go into the options menu, is the setting called "Controller" checked?

The game comes up auto detecting a controller, and will take limited keyboard input, and scroll-wheel input from the mouse. I can edit a .ini file to switch back over to KB/M use, but turning back on controller use leaves me with the same issues.

Recall

I'm aware the PS4 will have only a few little mods is there anything I need to do before that option goes live?

Register some separate account? As I'm guessing this will be handled via a Bethesda website rather than a PSN store section?

Thanks

This game is so beautiful. The remaster is great, especially on consoles. Even when you look at the vanilla PC version from 2011...this remaster is so much better. Skyrim vanilla hasn't aged well.

screenshot-original-35zl71.png

screenshot-original-3owy2p.png

screenshot-original-32oyy6.png

MilkLizard

F*ç& it. I'm going to buy it tomorrow. I wanted to pass on this because I already bought too many remasters this gen but I need this so bad.

120v

well, 500+ hrs in skyrim this is a first... lydia's dead for some reason. if this were five years ago i would've frantically pored over save files trying to figure out what happened but now i'm alike ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hired a rando mercenary at some inn. crazy after all these years there's so many "firsts" you can run into

well, 500+ hrs in skyrim this is a first... lydia's dead for some reason. if this were five years ago i would've frantically pored over save files trying to figure out what happened but now i'm alike ¯_(ツ)_/¯

hired a rando mercenary at some inn. crazy after all these years there's so many "firsts" you can run into
I thought I lost Lydia after she got smashed by a giant during battle. Sent her body into orbit. Had gone too long without saving and didn't want to lose all that progress so I made peace with her being gone and carried on.

An hour later, I walk out of the dungeon I was originally headed towards before meeting the giant and there she is waiting for me as if nothing happened lol.

heringer

Speaking of companions, I wish they had more personality (or any at all). They feel like robots, with no dialogue or anything to say at all.

Speaking of companions, I wish they had more personality (or any at all). They feel like robots, with no dialogue or anything to say at all.
There's a snarky mage follower in the Riften inn who I am partial to. I haven't gotten to Riften yet, but he's top of my list once I get there. I kept him around for a long time in the original Skyrim.

heringer

There's a snarky mage follower in the Riften inn who I am partial to. I haven't gotten to Riften yet, but he's top of my list once I get there. I kept him around for a long time in the original Skyrim.

Too bad mages are messy. I go in and go out without getting noticed. :p

Jacknapes

Just got to the Grebeards, decided to leave the main story at that point for a bit. Moving onto factions and helping out various Jarls. Started on the Companions faction, and as doing with my playthrough, joining the Imperial Legion this time around.

Saving up my money for that house in Whiterun, then i'll upgrade it and sort out the marraige quest soon after.

Loved how surprised the Shopkeeper was in Riverun (when he asked for the Golden Claw, and i already had it) and the Mage in Dragonreach (with the Dragonstone) with their requests.

Vuze

This game is so beautiful. The remaster is great, especially on consoles. Even when you look at the vanilla PC version from 2011...this remaster is so much better. Skyrim vanilla hasn't aged well.

"So beautiful" is probably an overstatement but yeah, it does manage to look quite good at times :)

Top Bottom