• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Speaking of companions, I wish they had more personality (or any at all). They feel like robots, with no dialogue or anything to say at all.

Yeah, almost all vanilla companions are interchangeable when it comes to personality. Serana, who you meet during the Dawnguard questline, is probably the best Bethesda made follower because she occasionally has a snarky remark on things.

There are some pretty good companions from mods though, my favorite is Inigo, but that's only for the original Skyrim, no SE version yet.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Just got to the Grebeards, decided to leave the main story at that point for a bit. Moving onto factions and helping out various Jarls. Started on the Companions faction, and as doing with my playthrough, joining the Imperial Legion this time around.

Saving up my money for that house in Whiterun, then i'll upgrade it and sort out the marraige quest soon after.

Loved how surprised the Shopkeeper was in Riverun (when he asked for the Golden Claw, and i already had it) and the Mage in Dragonreach (with the Dragonstone) with their requests.

Absolutely agree with you about finishing quests prematurely; you get to feel like a smart-ass kid! If I remember correctly, after meeting the Greybeards was a great time to start wandering off-path. I'm just about there myself, and I'm looking forward to letting some serendipity take over.

heringer

Yeah, almost all vanilla companions are interchangeable when it comes to personality. Serana, who you meet during the Dawnguard questline, is probably the best Bethesda made follower because she occasionally has a snarky remark on things.

There are some pretty good companions from mods though, my favorite is Inigo, but that's only for the original Skyrim, no SE version yet.

Aww, now I want Inigo. :(

I was gonna get it for PS4 but I'm thinking otherwise now, if Xbox gets a character creator mod so that the character model doesn't look so shitty I think I'll jump in. Also I wouldn't worry about achievements so and could enjoy mods, but I'd have to hook my bone back up:/

Hopefully the Pro enhancements aren't that crazy too:/

I was gonna get it for PS4 but I'm thinking otherwise now, if Xbox gets a character creator mod so that the character model doesn't look so shitty I think I'll jump in. Also I wouldn't worry about achievements so and could enjoy mods, but I'd have to hook my bone back up:/

Hopefully the Pro enhancements aren't that crazy too:/
All that the pro version is getting is a native 4k mode I'm pretty sure

schaft0620

I can't figure out how to look at the front of my character, playing on PS4 I thought you had to hold down R3 and you could pan the camera around your character. Anyone with any tips?

Andodalf

Banned
I can't figure out how to look at the front of my character, playing on PS4 I thought you had to hold down R3 and you could pan the camera around your character. Anyone with any tips?

You click the stick, then rotate. Pulling the other stick down zooms the third person camera out.

soldat7

There's been more than several moments where I had to stop and take in the view. This remaster is gorgeous on consoles.

Honestly, I'm not as impressed as I hoped I would be (Xbox One). Something feels a bit...off. I don't know if it's the mixed bag of textures, the overuse of god rays, the yellow filter...I'm not a graphics guy but if I'm being honest with myself, it's just not as good as I was hoping it would be.

Honestly, I'm not as impressed as I hoped I would be (Xbox One). Something feels a bit...off. I don't know if it's the mixed bag of textures, the overuse of god rays, the yellow filter...I'm not a graphics guy but if I'm being honest with myself, it's just not as good as I was hoping it would be.

There's a mod to turn down the yellow filter and god rays. That might help.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Anyone who has the PS4 version, can they confirm that the PS4 has almost 200 mods? I'm just surprised to see that amount only a few days from launch.

There's a mod to turn down the yellow filter and god rays. That might help.

I went over to a friend's house and they had that one on too for the PS4 version, it was a pretty notable difference IMO.

My GTX 960m can run the game at 1080p/30 locked on high settings.

How does this compare to the Ps4 version?

Around the same.

Anyone who has the PS4 version, can they confirm that the PS4 has almost 200 mods? I'm just surprised to see that amount only a few days from launch.

I went over to a friend's house and they had that one on too for the PS4 version, it was a pretty notable difference IMO.

Around the same.

The PS4 version has 191 mods now.

And yes, the yellow filter reducement mod is definitely a noticeable improvement.

I'm also on Xbox One. I wonder what it is that's feeling off for you, particularly. Have you checked out the OG Skyrim on 360? The difference is pretty massive. Of course, PC is far superior overall, but from a strictly old gen to current gen comparison, it's a big difference.

Edit: hopefully the yellow filter mentioned above helps!

--

I was flying through the forest at night as a vampire lord yesterday, on my way to a cave to explore, and it felt entirely Immersive, the way the rays of light from the moon's glow were cutting through the trees. Felt eerie and looked amazing.

I'm aware the PS4 will have only a few little mods is there anything I need to do before that option goes live?

Register some separate account? As I'm guessing this will be handled via a Bethesda website rather than a PSN store section?

Thanks

Mods are already available. You need to have a Bethesda.net account. At the game's main menu, there's an option for mods and you log I there with your Bethesda.net information. The it takes you to ma menu where you can download and all what you want.

OraleeWey

489830_20161031184224qhbs2.png

489830_20161031184348lxxh3.png

Playing as vampire I realised (again) how cool but useless the Vampire Lord form is.

It's pretty overpowered but the fact you can't use items, open doors or see the map kinda kills it for me. I just never seem to find a spot where I really want to use it. Transformation takes a while and NPC's that are not, turn hostile.

Playing vampire is just kind of a hassle in the long run.

Lorcain

I can't believe how much this game has pulled me back in again after all these years. Looking back at the recent open world games I've played, I'd rank Skyrim with all its clunky warts near the top for player driven narrative and exploration. It's very easy to just go off the beaten path and get pulled into a completely unscripted narrative driven by my own curiosity.

Most of the modern open world games feel more formulaic with their repeatable activities that show up all over the map, with almost tourist like HUD guides to get me to those places.

120v

I can't believe how much this game has pulled me back in again after all these years. Looking back at the recent open world games I've played, I'd rank Skyrim with all its clunky warts near the top for player driven narrative and exploration. It's very easy to just go off the beaten path and get pulled into a completely unscripted narrative driven by my own curiosity.

Most of the modern open world games feel more formulaic with their repeatable activities that show up all over the map, with almost tourist like HUD guides to get me to those places.

Yep... amazing all these years later after so many open world games none have really been able to top skyrim in this aspect, the way you can wander around aimlessly and get caught up in something completely unscripted

DOWN

Banned

Hobbun

So I understand with the Dawnguard DLC, it can
cause the possibility of losing NPCs, even ones associated with quests, with vampires attacking the towns when the Dawnguard quest line is activated.

Is there a way to avoid this? Or some kind of work-around?

So I understand with the Dawnguard DLC, it can
cause the possibility of losing NPCs, even ones associated with quests, with vampires attacking the towns when the Dawnguard quest line is activated.

Is there a way to avoid this? Or some kind of work-around?

There are mods out that fix the issue.

Started playing on PS3 because I didn't wanna buy this.. fixed my water freeze glitch & played a bit.. then said screw it & bought the SE on the 4 😂 I'm soooo weak man, it's amazing tho.

Yeah, I heard about that. But I haven't gotten trophies for the game and want to do that first, so no mods for me.

Honestly what I've done is make sure its daytime when i go into Whiterun. Other then that? Nothing really but to start off from the last save before they get killed. It autosaves quite often so it shouldn't be too far back

Are there any mods for Skyrim (vanilla or SE) that let you be more of a murderhobo? The one thing that I loved about Daggerfall and Morrowind that I hated about Oblivion and Skyrim is they let you kill off story characters. I remember pretty clearly killing Caius Cosades and locking myself completely out of the main questline and being totally okay with that, then trying and failing to kill almost anyone of consequence in Oblivion and being kinda pissed.

Mr.Fresh

So this is my first run threw Skyrim. I'm playing warrior with one handed weapons and a shield and also I use magic and sometimes arrows. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong I'm only level 6 but I haven't used any of my perks yet what should I focus on?

MaddenNFL64

How does this game not have triple buffering enabled with vsync? It's 2016, and the original had builtin triple buffering. Jeebus. I couldn't believe it when i went from 60 to 30 in a split second, for a second i thought this game was murdering my card. Just to make sure, I turned off vsync in the .ini file and my fps was around 70-120 during the intro, with some dips to 60, but of course the screen tearing was awful.

I hate playing borderless windowed, but I guess i'll have to until triple buffering is implemented.

MaddenNFL64

So this is my first run threw Skyrim. I'm playing warrior with one handed weapons and a shield and also I use magic and sometimes arrows. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong I'm only level 6 but I haven't used any of my perks yet what should I focus on?

It's Elder Scrolls, Go ahead and focus on what you enjoy (sneaking with bows/dagger+light armor, 1 sword+shield, 2 handed+heavy armor, fire magic) early on, but if you just keep playing, you'll find that training everything up is grindy as hell, but easy enough. When I first played this game on the Xbox 360 years ago, by the time I was done with it, I had almost everything maxed. There's a few gimmicks you can do to train all your skills up pretty fast without really doing any actual fighting so....

DOWN

Banned
Are there any mods for Skyrim (vanilla or SE) that let you be more of a murderhobo? The one thing that I loved about Daggerfall and Morrowind that I hated about Oblivion and Skyrim is they let you kill off story characters. I remember pretty clearly killing Caius Cosades and locking myself completely out of the main questline and being totally okay with that, then trying and failing to kill almost anyone of consequence in Oblivion and being kinda pissed.
Yes, there's mods that allow killing essential NPCs on all 3 platforms

Weebos

Banned
Downloaded this the other day because I got it for free, thinking I might play around for a few hours.

Turns out my PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements, yikes. Is it that much of an upgrade?

Patchy

Banned
Ok probably a dumv question but I've never played the Dawnguard DLC before.

I let Harkon turn me, but I fucking HATE the vampire stuff. It is just an enormous pain.

Am I able to change back at all without losing Serena as a follower? She's awesome.

Don't care about spoilers.

Cess007

Asking before I dive into this game and lose hours and hours again. In PC, does the game recognize the DS4 by default or I should download DS4Windows and search for a Mod with the PS buttons layout?

DireStr8s

Was kinda tempted but, after watching a few videos, pop in seems worse than the original. Not impressed with added foliage if whole fields are going to pop in as I approach.

Top Bottom