• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

MaddenNFL64

Was kinda tempted but, after watching a few videos, pop in seems worse than the original. Not impressed with added foliage if whole fields are going to pop in as I approach.

The godrays and water are nice, but overall, the game looks the same to me. Im trying to play the game again, but once I started grabbing pheasant and rabbits off the hooks, and potatos and leeks out of barrels, I kinda got sick. I played this game for hundreds of hours already, this just aint enough to make me do it again. Maybe in a few years.

Hobbes211

So this is my first run threw Skyrim. I'm playing warrior with one handed weapons and a shield and also I use magic and sometimes arrows. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong I'm only level 6 but I haven't used any of my perks yet what should I focus on?

You're not doing anything wrong. If your plan is to play a warrior that uses one handed weapons and shields, focus on those perk areas when you level up, keeping Health and Stamina as your priority. You won't be able to delve too deeply into magic in that build, especially if you want to wear heavy armor as that will probably require you also invest in smithing and enchanting. Spreading yourself too thin will make late game a chore.

Ashodin

Gettin' my dark souls on with the camping mod

5k7DV9X.png

I love how you can pack and unpack the tent anywhere, so you can impromptu SOULS IT OUT

What was really immersive is how when you go to sleep and wake up, the campfire will be smoldering.

The godrays and water are nice, but overall, the game looks the same to me. Im trying to play the game again, but once I started grabbing pheasant and rabbits off the hooks, and potatos and leeks out of barrels, I kinda got sick. I played this game for hundreds of hours already, this just aint enough to make me do it again. Maybe in a few years.

You need a new TV bro.

And i played for close to 100 hours on 360 and never touched a single potato. Maybe you're playing it wrong.

Gettin' my dark souls on with the camping mod

5k7DV9X.png

I love how you can pack and unpack the tent anywhere, so you can impromptu SOULS IT OUT

What was really immersive is how when you go to sleep and wake up, the campfire will be smoldering.

This looks so cool. Will try for sure. How does camping work exactly?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Important question:

I have read that the Dawnguard DLC can actually possibly prevent the completion of main game quests due to the vampires attacking and killing important NPCs.

Given that Dawnguard activates at level 10 this seems like it could be a rather serious issue.

Can anyone confirm and/or suggest a way to prevent this?

DOWN

Banned
Important question:

I have read that the Dawnguard DLC can actually possibly prevent the completion of main game quests due to the vampires attacking and killing important NPCs.

Given that Dawnguard activates at level 10 this seems like it could be a rather serious issue.

Can anyone confirm and/or suggest a way to prevent this?
They don't kill main quest NPCs, but they do kill other side and semi-notable quest NPCs.

There's two mods to fix this. One which prevents vampires attacking towns, and one which delays Dawnguard from starting at a low level

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They don't kill main quest NPCs, but they do kill other side and semi-notable quest NPCs.

There's two mods to fix this. One which prevents vampires attacking towns, and one which delays Dawnguard from starting at a low level

Well Christ god mutherfuck.

What a shitty fucking oversight by Bethesda.

Not gonna use mods. Gotta get my trophies.

DOWN

Banned
It shouldn't require a mod to prevent something potentially game breaking
Maybe you misread? It isn't game-breaking. Only optional NPCs get killed, however they can be tied to optional quests you may have wanted to do. That's why it annoys people. They can't kill main quest NPCs and stop you from finishing the game via the main story.

kris.

Banned
the NPCs that get can get killed aren't even tied to side quests half the time. bigger side quest NPCs as far as i'm aware are still flagged as essential and can't die.

I'm practically paralyzed right now. Installed Ordinator perk mod and I'm sitting at lvl 1 unsure of what path to take. I've done thief and assassin builds before, so part of me is leaning toward a hunter/pacifist build. I rolled wood elf too for a change, but my thief itch is still there. Gotta decide.

kris.

Banned
What's the best way to increase smithing ?

grind like you've never grind(ed?) before

how much you gain in XP is directly tied to the worth of what you're making. learn a transfiguration spell, hit up a place with a buuunch of iron ore deposits and mine the shit out of them, then transfigure those into silver/gold and make jewelry. get rich AND level up your smithing.

alternatively if you're already rich, you can just buy all the mats an armorer has, make a bunch of shit, sell it back to them, then fast travel to another city and do it all over again.

Maximo

Hahahahah holy shit im a idiot level 13 completely forgot I had Lydia, man that would have made being a Archer so much easier...Forgot to say follow me when you first meet her so she never fast traveled or waited at my house...totally forgot.

Anyone ever seen a glitch where you lose points into skill? I had nearly 80 points into conjuration last time I looked then it went down to 29?! Reloaded a previous save and same thing. I just used a console command to set it to 80 though but weird.

You have two options:

1. Make a ton of stuff. Smithing EXP is tied to the item's monetary value, so making jewelry is for the best.

2. Save your money and just use a tutor. Off the top of my head, there's one in Markarth and there's another in Whiterun, though you'll need to do a somewhat lengthy quest chain for it.

Lorcain

Ok probably a dumv question but I've never played the Dawnguard DLC before.

I let Harkon turn me, but I fucking HATE the vampire stuff. It is just an enormous pain.

Am I able to change back at all without losing Serena as a follower? She's awesome.

Don't care about spoilers.
Serena is
more than happy to help you burn down her father and all of his followers. She will even open a dialogue with you later about curing her (you don't have to).

...Why are you even doing that? =P

One of the things I loved about Fallout 4 was junk being useful for the first time ever. Food buffs are worthless in Skyrim without mods. And even with mods you only gather ingredients for the food you need. You don't level from cooking.

Vivid Weathers is out for Xbone! Add that to the list of things I'd never expected to see. Cool shit.

The basis camping plugin is simple. You can craft or buy a tent and carry it around in your inventory. When it comes time to set up camp for the night, you just open your inventory and activate the tent. You'll go into a state sort-of similar to Fallout 4's build menu that lets you place the tent.

Then you have a new Power called 'Survival Skills', which allows you to look for wood and create a campfire. Depending on your camping skill, the weather and the type of wood and fuel you have, it can either be difficult or easy to get a fire going.

It's really damn cool. My favorite mod in all of Skyrim.

Rellik

Was kinda tempted but, after watching a few videos, pop in seems worse than the original. Not impressed with added foliage if whole fields are going to pop in as I approach.

If you're on PC you just increase your draw distance settings. It's criminally low by default.

Daggers, or building material until 30. Then if you're going the heavy equipment side dwarven bows works pretty well. If you do a few dwemer ruins, you'll get a ton of dwarven ore. Then it's kind of a grind to 80. If you've got some smithing potions and equipment it's then a smooth ride to 100.

Man, I love that little shortcut to Ivarstead near Whiterun. Only reason I discovered it was because I was trying out the Clairvoyance spell. :lol

There's a similar shortcut a bit further east, from southern Eastmarch. Includes a bridge of death.

This world just feels so lovingly crafted. People playing with compass markers and fast travel are really doing themselves a disservice.

I also love how alive the game still feels, even five years later. Sure, everything's a bit dated, but not a lot of games let you randomly run into a traveling Bard who sings the praises of nature...

... only to get randomly beset by a Blood Dragon outside the city gates of Whiterun, mere minutes after.

There's a reason this game is still my GOAT.

Man, I love that little shortcut to Ivarstead near Whiterun. Only reason I discovered it was because I was trying out the Clairvoyance spell. :lol

There's a similar shortcut a bit further east, from southern Eastmarch. Includes a bridge of death.

This world just feels so lovingly crafted. People playing with compass markers and fast travel are really doing themselves a disservice.

I also love how alive the game still feels, even five years later. Sure, everything's a bit dated, but not a lot of games let you randomly run into a traveling Bard who sings the praises of nature...

... only to get randomly beset by a Blood Dragon outside the city gates of Whiterun, mere minutes after.

There's a reason this game is still my GOAT.

A bandit tried to sto me this time on that bridge of death. He died.

A bandit tried to sto me this time on that bridge of death. He died.

I went on it to fight the Bandit Thug that was shooting arrows at me. For some reason I decided to do a pirouette sword attack. I spun straight off the log and to my death in the watery abyss below.

Five fucking years and that's the first time I've ever fallen off that log. :lol

On a similar note, this was also the first time I read the book upon which Farengar and Delphine based their Dragon research. Like, I had no idea it was there, at all. For five fucking years.

already played 200+ hours in the original version. There is nothing new to me and I will pass.
I also played 200+ hours and felt it probably wouldn't give me anything new.

Downloaded SE through steam for free and I can't stop playing. This game will hook you again.

As for my character, the one style I never played in OG Skyrim was a warrior, so I made a nord warrior and I'm having a blast. I started messing with dual wielding and it's awesome! I go sword and board main, but I take out a second sword here and there and just wreck shop.

One thing I'm concerned about is as enemies get harder, having to play up in their face is going to be hard. Previously I used magic or bows to pepper hard enemies from range, but as a warrior I'm worried about having to close in on tough mages and such. What should I be doing to counteract that? For now I've been using a bow as a secondary trying to level it a bit.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There are three warrior guys stalking me. They are like the RE3 Nemesis. They want to "teach me a lesson" for stealing I guess? Even though I've never stolen in view of anyone. Anyway, I can't kill them... they're tanks with apparently unlimited stamina. And I can't run and hide, because even when I'm hidden, they still march toward me, relentlessly.

Really great game design. Really great.

Has anyone gotten to Touching the Sky quest (Dawnguard DLC) yet? It's still got that game-breaking bug where
Gelebor doesn't activate the portal in the first shrine and you can't leave to go to the Darkfall passage. I've reloaded my save several times and it's still bugged out.

I'm not sure what to do haha. Obviously, no console commands on a console haha.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Has anyone gotten to Touching the Sky quest (Dawnguard DLC) yet? It's still got that game-breaking bug where
Gelebor doesn't activate the portal in the first shrine and you can't leave to go to the Darkfall passage. I've reloaded my save several times and it's still bugged out.

I'm not sure what to do haha. Obviously, no console commands on a console haha.

uh, get good

Banned
Hey, guys. I have a simple question pertaining to mods on ps4. Since a new mod-tagged save file is created, what happens if I decide that mods aren't for me and I disable them? Do I lose all of the time played with mods and have to revert to my original un-modded saves? Or can I pick up where I left off with the mods, just without them now?

Thanks.

My old Skryim memories are flooding back. Got the PS4 remastered on Amazon for $47 and even if the mod selection is low, I'm falling in love all over again.

Cyanity

Banned
To download the SE and install the mods that currently work with it now, or to wait a year for mods to come back in full force and play then...? Decisions are hard.

edit - If the recommendation is "install now!" Does anyone have some mods/enbs to recommend? It's been a few years for me.

Ashodin

You need a new TV bro.

And i played for close to 100 hours on 360 and never touched a single potato. Maybe you're playing it wrong.

You slot in camping skills in place of your shouts, and it allows you to gather firewood, chop trees, and then make a campfire. At the campfire, you can level up special camping perks, plus you can drop a tent if you'd made one with leather (or bought one from a vendor).

In the tent you can sleep anywhere, so it's handy for getting rested XP even out in the wild.

Asking before I dive into this game and lose hours and hours again. In PC, does the game recognize the DS4 by default or I should download DS4Windows and search for a Mod with the PS buttons layout?

Steam actually just released an update that allows you to natively bind a dualshock 4 much in the same manner you would bind a steam controller. Works for every game in which big picture/steam overlay work on. Not sure if it changes the in game icons.

kris.

Banned
Beyond Death in Dawnguard is such a dumb fluff quest. kill these 3 things that are on each corner of the giant boring-ass Soul Cairn map then run all the way back here! shame on whoever decided this was a good idea.

To download the SE and install the mods that currently work with it now, or to wait a year for mods to come back in full force and play then...? Decisions are hard.

edit - If the recommendation is "install now!" Does anyone have some mods/enbs to recommend? It's been a few years for me.

No ENB yet, unfortunately. But there are numerous graphical mods ported to SE already, like SMIM, Noble's Texture, Nordic Snow, Enhanced Distant Terraint, Realistic Water, Realistic Lighting Overhaul, etc.

Beyond Death in Dawnguard is such a dumb fluff quest. kill these 3 things that are on each corner of the giant boring-ass Soul Cairn map then run all the way back here! shame on whoever decided this was a good idea.

I hate the fucking Soul Cairn.

Save your game before you go into the Darkfall cave during that part of the Dawnguard questline. I'm still trying to figure out how to get past the bug in this mission.

I might have to reload an old save and lose a couple hours of gameplay.

Save your game before you go into the Darkfall cave during that part of the Dawnguard questline. I'm still trying to figure out how to get past the bug in this mission.

What's the bug? I must have managed to avoid it, I finished Dawnguard a bit earlier. I just ran through Darkfall as quickly as I could.

kris.

Banned

thanks for the heads-up. i still have a ways to go because apparently i need the Elder Scroll you get from the main quest to continue.

speaking of which, heading to Septimus Signus's outpost up north, turn around, and see this

i audibly wow'd

What's the bug? I must have managed to avoid it, I finished Dawnguard a bit earlier. I just ran through Darkfall as quickly as I could.

There's two big ones-
when you talk to the snow elf he won't activate the portal to get to the passage, and there's another when you go to retrieve the bow itself. I'm stuck on that first bug.

Top Bottom