• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Yeah, almost all vanilla companions are interchangeable when it comes to personality. Serana, who you meet during the Dawnguard questline, is probably the best Bethesda made follower because she occasionally has a snarky remark on things.

There are some pretty good companions from mods though, my favorite is Inigo, but that's only for the original Skyrim, no SE version yet.

Wow, that follower (Inigo) looks pretty great!

MaddenNFL64

You need a new TV bro.

And i played for close to 100 hours on 360 and never touched a single potato. Maybe you're playing it wrong.

This looks so cool. Will try for sure. How does camping work exactly?

I played this on PC with mods too, heh. I can't do it again.

MaddenNFL64

...Why are you even doing that? =P

One of the things I loved about Fallout 4 was junk being useful for the first time ever. Food buffs are worthless in Skyrim without mods. And even with mods you only gather ingredients for the food you need. You don't level from cooking.

It's something ive always done. I grab all the food, and create huge food reserves for... no reason at all lol. Started doing that again, and my mind kinda went "omg this game again". I just quit heh.

Rellik

It's something ive always done. I grab all the food, and create huge food reserves for... no reason at all lol. Started doing that again, and my mind kinda went "omg this game again". I just quit heh.

I do a similar thing with potions. I had chests full of them on vanilla Skyrim. I'm telling myself I won't do that again on SE when I begin to play, but I know I will.

Nemesis_

Does anyone know if there's any Gold and/or Levelling exploits in this version? I heard in the original there was a glitch with the Inifatum book or something but I never did it as I saw it as cheating. Haha.

But now I've got a bit less time so was wondering if there was any way to get all that stuff out the way early 👁

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
IGN's review is up....8.0

No mention of what PS4 Pro patch does or how it looks yet one of their review gripes is about some of the graphics.

Unai

I wish I could be an Orc but with a Nord skin. Orcs are so ugly, but their special power is so good for a sneaky archer.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Help... My Lydia got smashed by a spiked gate and died, and now I'm getting fried when I go to the dragon burial site with no one to help me.

I'm currently trying to get a follower from Farkreath, but being a bit clueless, anyone got any tips to get a good one that will help me out and easily obtainable?

There's two big ones-
when you talk to the snow elf he won't activate the portal to get to the passage, and there's another when you go to retrieve the bow itself. I'm stuck on that first bug.

Got it to work!

What I did:

1. Reloaded a save from about 1hr previously according to the save file data. Went through a couple quests again and did some other odds and ends.

2. Removed everything from Serana's inventory and put it in my house.

3. Saved outside the cave. Saved a few times within the cave on the way to the NPC.

Initiated the conversation. He bugged out again. Reloaded a save within the cave and he bugged again. This time I walked out of the cave entirely and waited for 1hr then went back into the cave to talk to him again. When I got back to him, the portal was magically already open.

Not sure if I should be spoiler tagging for folks who haven't done the Dawnguard quests yet or not. What I typed isn't really spoilery, but I dunno some folks like to be completely blind to new stuff haha.

kris.

Banned
Got it to work!

What I did:

1. Reloaded a save from about 1hr previously according to the save file data. Went through a couple quests again and did some other odds and ends.

2. Removed everything from Serana's inventory and put it in my house.

3. Saved outside of Darkfall. Saved a few times within Darkfall on the way to the NPC.

4. Initiated the conversation. He bugged out again. Reloaded a save within the cave and he bugged again. This time I walked out of the cave entirely and waited for 1hr then went back into the cave to talk to him again. When I got back to him, the portal was magically already open.

just out of curiosity, do you have the unofficial patch installed?

Tanis

I wish I could be an Orc but with a Nord skin. Orcs are so ugly, but their special power is so good for a sneaky archer.

Orcs have a tough time in Skyrim.

CEoM9Pm.jpg

Renae

I didn't really like exploration in Fallout 4 (I prefer narrative focused games like TW3), and its story was just meh, will I like Skyrim ?

I didn't really like exploration in Fallout 4 (I prefer narrative focused games like TW3), and its story was just meh, will I like Skyrim ?

The stories in Skyrim are much better than F04 (imo), but the game is definitely heavy on exploration and dungeon diving.

IGN's review is up....8.0

No mention of what PS4 Pro patch does or how it looks yet one of their review gripes is about some of the graphics.

That is pathetic. It's a fucking remaster. The last thing anyone should be griping about is the graphics. They should be nothing short of stellar. Otherwise, what is the point?

I'm done being a sucker for these ports.

That is pathetic. It's a fucking remaster. The last thing anyone should be griping about is the graphics. They should be nothing short of stellar. Otherwise, what is the point?

I'm done being a sucker for these ports.

It's a great port, with the bonus of modding it to even better results.

OraleeWey

Help... My Lydia got smashed by a spiked gate and died, and now I'm getting fried when I go to the dragon burial site with no one to help me.

I'm currently trying to get a follower from Farkreath, but being a bit clueless, anyone got any tips to get a good one that will help me out and easily obtainable?

Faendal in Riverwood for an easy follower. You'll have to do a simple mini quest in order to recruit him. For the mini-quest:
Just make sure you don't screw him over with the love of his life.

If you are on PC you can just bring her back via console command

When Vampires Attack and Run For Your Lives are out.

(Keeps NPCs out of the way when a vampire/dragon attacks).

At last. I've been waiting for these mods. Instead of entirely eliminate the attacks in towns (which is lame and boring), it's better to let the NPCs hide so we can still have the fun of towns attacks.

Well, go for it. You rarely look at your character anyway, especially on first person view.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Faendal in Riverwood for an easy follower. You'll have to do a simple mini quest in order to recruit him. For the mini-quest:
Just make sure you don't screw him over with the love of his life.
Nice! I'll try that. Thank you!
If you are on PC you can just bring her back via console command
I don't know why this made me laugh, lol. I would, but I always get tempted to do stuff like that and cheat a bit so I'll try get a legit one. Thanks:)

SlickVic

Heh, 5 years later and I still never figured out a reliable way to take down that frost troll on the road to High Hrothgar. I think when I did it when the game first came out I was a bit higher level and had a few more potions at my disposal so eventually I could just brute forced my way through it. Doing it now at level 5 without much help and he takes me down in 2 easy hits. I tried shouting him off the mountain when he got close to the edge, but dude seems pretty much glued on to the snow.

Just managed to sneak by him for now and proceeded with the rest of the quest. I will get that troll one day.

For the ~200 hours I've put into the game, I've only done the main story just once. I've forgotten how much fun the Thalmor Embassy quest is.

Mcdohl

Is the unread books glow mod up yet?

I find that to be a QoL essential mod.

Edit: Also, does open cities mod remove per city music?

amnesiac

A couple of years ago I picked up the PS3 standard edition for $10. I really enjoyed what I played, but I quit after 5 or 6 hours because performance was so abysmal.

I haven't been playing anything lately so I picked this up for the PS4 because it seems like the perfect Fall/Winter game. I'm really liking the remaster! Graphics aren't amazing or anything but occasionally there'll be great visuals. Performance is what I'm most happy about -- it's nice to play this at a constant framerate.

PS: Make sure you turn the music up all the way in settings for maximum atmosphere!

For the ~200 hours I've put into the game, I've only done the main story just once. I've forgotten how much fun the Thalmor Embassy quest is.

It's been four years for me since I last played and I never even finished the main storyline or touched the expansions.

Pretty stoked to dive back in with a few mods.

Potential Main Quest spoiler:

So I'm almost to Blackreach. That's the place where you can mine those rocks and potentially get Black Soul gems from them, right?

kris.

Banned

haha i've done the main quest a single time and that was my very first playthrough back in 2011. it's kinda fun coming back to it now.

Bethsoft needs to do like cutscenes or something for some events though. i just finished
getting Dragonrend through the Time Wound
last night and it would have benefited so much from just being a pre-rendered cutscene instead of an interactive bit because it looked teeerrrible. i really hope they're working on a new engine that fixes this kinda stuff for TESVI.

haha i've done the main quest a single time and that was my very first playthrough back in 2011. it's kinda fun coming back to it now.

Bethsoft needs to do like cutscenes or something for some events though. i just finished
getting Dragonrend through the Time Wound
last night and it would have benefited so much from just being a pre-rendered cutscene instead of an interactive bit because it looked teeerrrible. i really hope they're working on a new engine that fixes this kinda stuff for TESVI.

No, holy shit no. "Interactive bits" don't necessarily age gracefully, but pre-rendered cutscenes always age terribly.

120v

Game just amazes me every. Single. Time. I think I've seen it all and I have nothing new to experience I find something new

Last night I found a skooma den that let me try their wares. so I sneak around to the cellar and fins it's really a vamp stronghold. So I feel cocky and try to take them on and theyre way over my level. So I GTFO and think the coast is clear by the time I make it back up to the den. But no, all those NPCS are hostile now. So I make it outside, still shitload of NPCs on my tail... then of course a dragon comes and wipes them out, then the dragon starts pwning me, then a bunch of imperials come in and I think I'm in the clear but no dragon took them out, then I high tail it to Riften and was able to finish off the dragon

Cant believe so many years later I can walk away with stories like that. Glad I decided to pick this up again, was strongly considering against it with so many games coming out

heringer

Kind of weird that this might end up being my GOTY when I didn't care much for the game back when it was originally released. Melee combat ruined the game for me. Archer ftw.

Soul Cairn was pretty boring, but the boss fight and reward were sweet.

What dificulty do you guys play on?

GoaThief

Is the mod that fixes the guards' attitude towards the player character out on XB1?

Really tempted to pick it up on console for chilling out to, are there decent graphical mods available too? Plus something to fix the colour palette as everything seems orange in the screen shots?!

I have come across a glitch at my homestead (lake view). I put a couple of armours on some mannequins, but then later replaced them when I was arranging the room, but for some reason the mannequins keep duplicating the armour that was on them, reverting back to the old sets. Does anyone know a way to fix?

That moment when you run into a Dragon and then suddenly a Sabrecat, 2 wolves, an Ice Wraith and some random Necromancer join the fight.

I got too overwhelmed, so I headed to the nearest settlement that I had just passed prior and it turns out another Dragon started attacking it. So now all hell is breaking loose and I'm running around like a mad man. I find a corner in some rock that I could climb and I hung out there to take out all the ground foes. After I finished them off, I let the random settlers damage the dragons enough to where I could come out and finish them off.

Sometimes this game can throw some crazy shit at you lol

Chris R

This seems like a band-aid though. Are there mods that remove random vampire attacks so they don't happen in the first place?

Don't you just need to progress through Dawnguard to a certain point? Or was I reading that wrong. Only level 5 now but thought about making that my main priority so I don't lose any NPCs.

DeaDPo0L84

So I joined the stormcloaks and have been using the open cities mod and for whatever reason can't get into whiterun. It was working perfectly up until yesterday. I am at a point in a quest where the stormcloaks want to take over whiterun but its just strange I'm having issues now. Keeps saying I need a key.

pots555

Finished Dawnguard. Finally! Loved it, beautiful places to explore, but I can now relax and not have to worry about the
vampire attacks

Deadstar

Why doesn't this have steam workshop support on pc? The game looks worse than the original! Textures are horrendous.

Spell effects and lighting looks better but with garbage N64 textures who cares.

Top Bottom