• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Has there been a mod to remove the crosshair while in stealth, so archery isn't so overpowered?

I was thinking you could just relocate the icon to the lower left of the screen... so you still had the stealth meter, but not the overpowered crosshair.

Just wondering if that's ever been a thing.

Jacknapes

Had the Cultists from the Dragonborn DLC attack me in Whiterun, however they underestimated the soldiers and suffered. I stood and watched, however i did suffer an "Arrow to the Knee"

Currently waiting on the first vampire attack so i can begin the Dawnguard DLC, 1 level off level 10 at the moment. Working on the Companions, Bard, Mage and Thieves guilds and the Imperial side story. Have bought Breezehome in Whiterun, married an NPC and renovated the house.

theBmZ

It seems like the Vivid Weathers mod(XB1) disables the god rays. I loaded the mod and didn't notice them anywhere. I turned the mod off and they were back. Is this a problem with the mod, load order, or is this supposed to happen? Anybody else have this issue?

Ashodin

IF YOU WANT OLD AUDIO ON PC BEFORE BETHESDA'S PATCH:

(YOU MUST OWN ORIGINAL SKYRIM TO DO THIS)

#1 - Get this program - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/974/?
#2 - Extract Skyrim - Sounds.bsa into any folder you want (I used BAE's folder)
#3 - Use 7zip to compress it into a .7z archive
#4 - Use Nexus Mod Manager to install the archive over your original sounds.
#5 - Play without shitty sounds!

OraleeWey

IF YOU WANT OLD AUDIO ON PC BEFORE BETHESDA'S PATCH:

(YOU MUST OWN ORIGINAL SKYRIM TO DO THIS)

#1 - Get this program - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/974/?
#2 - Extract Skyrim - Sounds.bsa into any folder you want (I used BAE's folder)
#3 - Use 7zip to compress it into a .7z archive
#4 - Use Nexus Mod Manager to install the archive over your original sounds.
#5 - Play without shitty sounds!

When is the patch coming? I thought they said this week.

Is there a plot reason why these stupid vampires keep attacking me even though I'm a GOD DAMNED VAMPIRE LORD?

Yes, the plot of the game is that the world is inhabited by incompetent chucklefucks who wouldn't know the difference between their asses and elbows if you gave them a map. You are the chosen one, so your job is to set them straight.

With corrective neurosurgery. With an axe. And arrows. And ice spikes. Occasionally gravity.

Zeus7

What is the reason for people playing up to the Greybeards in the main quest and then doing other things? This is the point I am at hence the reason I ask. Is it worth it to continue the main quest? I have played it before when it first released but I can hardly remember it.

On Xbox One, what mods can anyone recommend? I like the look of the darker night mod and the street lamp one also, I am just looking for anything to get the most out of the game really.

Ashodin

I just love open cities. Riding your horse into Whiterun feels good.

Y8pzWes.png

Unai

What is the reason for people playing up to the Greybeards in the main quest and then doing other things? This is the point I am at hence the reason I ask. Is it worth it to continue the main quest? I have played it before when it first released but I can hardly remember it.

On Xbox One, what mods can anyone recommend? I like the look of the darker night mod and the street lamp one also, I am just looking for anything to get the most out of the game really.

To get their shouts, specially unrelenting force. Dragonrend is also very useful during the whole game and you can only get it by doing the main quest.

Lorcain

Game just amazes me every. Single. Time. I think I've seen it all and I have nothing new to experience I find something new

Last night I found a skooma den that let me try their wares. so I sneak around to the cellar and fins it's really a vamp stronghold. So I feel cocky and try to take them on and theyre way over my level. So I GTFO and think the coast is clear by the time I make it back up to the den. But no, all those NPCS are hostile now. So I make it outside, still shitload of NPCs on my tail... then of course a dragon comes and wipes them out, then the dragon starts pwning me, then a bunch of imperials come in and I think I'm in the clear but no dragon took them out, then I high tail it to Riften and was able to finish off the dragon

Cant believe so many years later I can walk away with stories like that. Glad I decided to pick this up again, was strongly considering against it with so many games coming out
That's what makes the game so good. You created your own adventure, unscripted, without map markers or quests. Who knew that a skooma operation would be a front for a vampire lair?

There's a cave near Whiterun (just off the road on the way to High Hrothgar) that is filled with bandits, except not all is right. From incompetent sentries (including a blind one), beast handling gone terribly wrong, to a mutinous plot to overthrow the gang leader, it's all there in this tiny micro-plot of Skyrim hidden away in a little cave.

Truant

I'm kinda regretting turning into a vampire lawd. The fucking creepy noise that plays when you're in the sun gets me every time, and the lack of regen when you're in sunlight sucks.

I'm probably gonna cure my vampirism after I finish the Dawnguard MQ. I do love the vampire chick follower, hopefully I get to keep her around. Best character in the game.

Ryzaki009

This seems like a band-aid though. Are there mods that remove random vampire attacks so they don't happen in the first place?

There's Timing is everything but that's only for the normal edition. Maybe someone will port it? (Well it doesn't stop them as much as give you the ability to choose when the dawnguard quest triggers. You can always just walk there and manually trigger it if you set the limit too high).

To get their shouts, specially unrelenting force. Dragonrend is also very useful during the whole game and you can only get it by doing the main quest.

Yep that and the phantom shout cause I'm too lazy to crawl back down a mountain. Plus that makes those stupid soul traps a joke (which is good for me since I have mods that pretty much let them one shot me).

Eusis

The stories in Skyrim are much better than F04 (imo), but the game is definitely heavy on exploration and dungeon diving.
I definitely like having some solid quests to serve as an excuse to go dungeon romping and the like myself, and Oblivion and FO3 at least were pretty good on that front even if they weren't GREAT stories. FO4 felt like it fell short to me and Skyrim... man, I feel like i barely scratched the service despite about 60+ combined hours now. But then the first time was about 30 hours years ago and stalled out with the warrior's guild/
werewolf
quest where I kept getting my shit wrecked at level 18, and this time I'm exploiting the fuck out of crafting leveling so that I can get a lot of money and straight up build myself high end gear so if I'm failing it's not due to ignoring those systems at least. And messing around with magic more too, didn't really bother with that in prior games outside of some basic functionality stuff (and some glitch abuse in Morrowind on Xbox.)

DOWN

Banned
This seems like a band-aid though. Are there mods that remove random vampire attacks so they don't happen in the first place?
Yes there's a mod that stops them from happening outside the vampire specific location but I don't recall the name

Eusis

I should probably slap that one on, but what's been annoying me more usually are the fact there seems to be like a 50/50 chance dragons will swoop in on an open city. Seriously, I'm just doing an alchemy run!

Mr.Fresh

You're not doing anything wrong. If your plan is to play a warrior that uses one handed weapons and shields, focus on those perk areas when you level up, keeping Health and Stamina as your priority. You won't be able to delve too deeply into magic in that build, especially if you want to wear heavy armor as that will probably require you also invest in smithing and enchanting. Spreading yourself too thin will make late game a chore.

Sorry for the late reply. I was at work but thanks I really appreciate it.

I ended up being gifted the PS4 version, after buying it on Xbox but not opening it. I don't really care about mods all that much, so outside of that are there any major differences? I can take the one back, which I'd like to do to get my money back, but I wanted to ask first.

I ended up being gifted the PS4 version, after buying it on Xbox but not opening it. I don't really care about mods all that much, so outside of that are there any major differences? I can take the one back, which I'd like to do to get my money back, but I wanted to ask first.

Both PS4 and XB1 run at solid 30fps and have identical 1080p resolution and graphic settings. For now, PS4 sound is better because there's a bug on XB1 (and PC) that make the sound heavily compressed, but Betheseda is already working on a fix. If you dan't care about mods, I'd say you should return your XB1 copy.

Branduil

If any of you guys use the Steam controller, I uploaded a Kb/M w/ gyro configuration called Super Skyrim. It accounts for every keyboard binding, and is focused on ease-of-use in combat, so check it out if you're interested.

leng jai

Skyrim is one game where you really should care about mods though. It makes the game 1000 times better.

OraleeWey

Skyrim is one game where you really should care about mods though. It makes the game 1000 times better.

I've been playing the game vanilla on PC and it has been great. I haven't run into any problems at all. Nothing has broken. I'll probably, maybe, perhaps, install some mods on a second play-through. But the game is fine vanilla. It doesn't need mods imo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If I have an active save file, how do mods work? Does it make a new separate file or do I need to repeat the intro?

I've been playing the game vanilla on PC and it has been great. I haven't run into any problems at all. Nothing has broken. I'll probably, maybe, perhaps, install some mods on a second play-through. But the game is fine vanilla. It doesn't need mods imo.

Its a great game without mods and a great game with mods. Im playing vanilla on PC and PS4 at the moment.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh hey, I remember how much of a fucking bore the Soul Cairn part was.

God what an empty but large area just for one important quest, that you need to do one other quest just to make traveling easier (and don't get me started on Jiub). And what's worse is that it's all damn monotone color.

The Dude

I don't know about everyone else but I am fucking in love all over again. Just glorious to enjoy skyrim again, been awhile since my last play and it all feels new again. This game world is such a gem

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Playing through the Dawnguard DLC and I didn't think it was great when it came out, but I am really not liking it at all right now.
It's simply not that fun.

What's wrong:
1. The quests seem really drawn out. Did I really need to be dragged through 5 giant landscapes and underground caverns to get that damn bow?
2. Playing as a vampire just plain sucks. When in vampire mode you frequently get stuck in the geometry, you can't do simple things like loot. It was tedious having to transform out of being a vampire to do your looting.
3. Didn't find the loot all that exciting.

Thoughts?

Staf

Playing through the Dawnguard DLC and I didn't think it was great when it came out, but I am really not liking it at all right now.

What's wrong:
1. The quests seem really drawn out. Did I really need to be dragged through 5 giant landscapes and underground caverns to get that damn bow?
2. Playing as a vampire just plain sucks. When in vampire mode you frequently get stuck in the geometry, you can't do simple things like loot. It was tedious having to transform out of being a vampire to do your looting.

Thoughts?

I remember liking it a lot more than Dragonborn back when i played them. Not that Dragonborn is bad but i just loved the factions, characters and story in Dawnguard a lot more. I finished Dawnguard a couple of days ago again and i still love it. The only downside for me is that i felt stressed to finish it quickly due to the vampire attacks, RIP Sven of Riverwood.

Soodanim

I once said the same. Finish your first run vanilla, then get wild with the mod game. Hopefully by then some better tools will be out and you'll have an easier/better time with it.

Some of what you can expect from mods
A ton more spells across all schools, including useful ones like negating fall damage.
Revamped perks, bringing more variety to gameplay.
Changing the race abilities and powers, examples being infinite out of battle stamina or faster swimming as an Argonian.
Changing the standing stone abilities.
Combat mods, making things less spongey and monotonous.
Those are just examples from one modder.

leng jai

Put it this way:

Vanilla Skyrim - Decent game, nothing too special.
Skyrim with the right mods - GOAT contender.

DeaDPo0L84

Had a chance to sit down after a couple days to play and see the new mods on Xbox...

Man the realistic water mod is so much better even on top of the improvement Bethesda did to water and how it flows and interacts with its surroundings.

The Vivid Weathers mod is also amazing. When I loaded in it was at night and the replacement for the skybox had me literally just pause for a few seconds before playing.

These mods are the only reason I even picked up this game again and its also the reason I havent touched most of the games I bought in the last few weeks. Amazing work by these people.

DeaDPo0L84

so as I praise those mods im now running into problems. The water mod has added these rectangular blueish boxes where I assumed the creator added the change. I would rather have bad wave effects versus this giant box obviously.

Also all my facial hair is gone now...like...no idea where it went or what I did to cause it to happen. Very...very odd

Is there a plot reason why these stupid vampires keep attacking me even though I'm a GOD DAMNED VAMPIRE LORD?

There's a lore reason I suppose. Vampires have never been one unified group in TES games. In Morrowind you could choose between different vampire clans to join for example.
Kind of like how if you could be a bandit in Skyrim, you probably shouldn't be surprised that other bandits would still attack you on the roads.

Haha! I remember saying that about Morrowind! Give it time, my friend. Install a mod like Ordinator in a future playthrough to see the kind of sweeping improvements mods can make to the base game. Or even little quality of life things like a mod that makes arrows spin in the air after you fire them, like they should do. At the very least you're bound to appreciate mods like Skywind and Beyond Skyrim that are adding entirely new provinces to the game. All lore friendly, so just like the best quality DLC expansions you could hope for, all for free.

Martian

So I got my Hardcover guide yesterday, and it's bloody amazing.

Even though I know Skyrim through and through, I felt like this was a nice addition for my addiction.

But boy, it is awesome. It's hardcover, over a thousand pages, has every little detail in it, every quest, every dungeon, every skill, every book etc.
It's bigger than I expected, which is even better.

I might do a classical run when I fix up my desk for my new place soon, old-school-style, using a book to plan out my next things to do.

Best purchase of the year for me.

OK it's been a long time since I last tried this so I need some help. How come when I reverse-pickpocket a paralysis poison to an NPC's inventory they don't take it? I specifically remember doing it in previous play-throughs and they took it right away and fell down. Now, nothing. Am I misremembering this, or am I missing something?

BajiBoxer

Banned
That's what makes the game so good. You created your own adventure, unscripted, without map markers or quests. Who knew that a skooma operation would be a front for a vampire lair?

There's a cave near Whiterun (just off the road on the way to High Hrothgar) that is filled with bandits, except not all is right. From incompetent sentries (including a blind one), beast handling gone terribly wrong, to a mutinous plot to overthrow the gang leader, it's all there in this tiny micro-plot of Skyrim hidden away in a little cave.

I just went through that cave.
I feel a little bad that I left the blind dude there by himself while all his comrades are dead. And I took his book.

Unai

OK it's been a long time since I last tried this so I need some help. How come when I reverse-pickpocket a paralysis poison to an NPC's inventory they don't take it? I specifically remember doing it in previous play-throughs and they took it right away and fell down. Now, nothing. Am I misremembering this, or am I missing something?

I think you need a perk for that.

heringer

What's wrong:

Thoughts?

I agree the quests are way too stretched. You don't really need to become a vampire, though.

Coxy100

Banned
Put it this way:

Vanilla Skyrim - Decent game, nothing too special.
Skyrim with the right mods - GOAT contender.

Each to their own.

Personally vanilla Skyrim for me is one of the best games ever and without a doubt the best RPG I've played. I have no need for mods.

Top Bottom