• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Each to their own.

Personally vanilla Skyrim for me is one of the best games ever and without a doubt the best RPG I've played. I have no need for mods.

I can't play Skyrim without a few mods I think are essential that only add to the atmosphere like Frostfall and Requiem and probably Interesting NPCs.

Coxy100

Banned
I can't play Skyrim without a few mods I think are essential that only add to the atmosphere like Frostfall and Requiem and probably Interesting NPCs.

Oh I'm sure the mods are great - but my point is vanilla Skyrim is stunning enough on its own (for me) that I have no need for any mods. It's already amazing.

Oh I'm sure the mods are great - but my point is vanilla Skyrim is stunning enough on its own (for me) that I have no need for any mods. It's already amazing.
I'm definitely enjoying it without any mods installed. I'll do a second playthrough with mods once I get all of the achievements on this one haha.

Vanilla SE looks great. They did an excellent job with the remaster.

I am really sad Mods disable trophies, because I wanna play with mods but if I did I would never go back to Vanilla to get the trophies :'/

It's a shame, but I can understand why Bethesda enforced it. You just have to decide what's more important to you: a better game that you tailor to your specific tastes, or trophies/achievement points.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Playing through the Dawnguard DLC and I didn't think it was great when it came out, but I am really not liking it at all right now.
It's simply not that fun.

What's wrong:
1. The quests seem really drawn out. Did I really need to be dragged through 5 giant landscapes and underground caverns to get that damn bow?
2. Playing as a vampire just plain sucks. When in vampire mode you frequently get stuck in the geometry, you can't do simple things like loot. It was tedious having to transform out of being a vampire to do your looting.
3. Didn't find the loot all that exciting.

Thoughts?

Yeah Dawnguard is pretty bad. Like I said, that Soul Cairn quest brought back bad, nay, boring memories. Looks like they learned in Dragonborn.

With that said both still kinda sucks - somehow they forgot Khajiit, Argonian, and some other races exist.

Playing through the Dawnguard DLC and I didn't think it was great when it came out, but I am really not liking it at all right now.
It's simply not that fun.

What's wrong:
1. The quests seem really drawn out. Did I really need to be dragged through 5 giant landscapes and underground caverns to get that damn bow?
2. Playing as a vampire just plain sucks. When in vampire mode you frequently get stuck in the geometry, you can't do simple things like loot. It was tedious having to transform out of being a vampire to do your looting.
3. Didn't find the loot all that exciting.

Thoughts?
Yeah Dawnguard is pretty boring at times and playing as a vampire simply sucks so it's best to just get that stuff out of the way first. Plus you have to keep visiting that guy to get those specific arrows for it also. Smh.

The Dragonborn dlc is wayyyyy better.

nomohair

Neo Member
This game simply wont launch for me in Steam. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, made sure I was completely updated in Windows, checked the local files (verification) and click........nothing. Looks like I'll have to get the console version if I want to play this again.

Any chance Sky UI will make its way to PS4?
You're probably in the same boat as me, at Sony's mercy with allowing external assets and increasing mod limit.

I could grab it for the Bone but I really want to play on the PS4 and soon, hoping Sony switches but I doubt it. They probably feel the Pro "upgrades" are worth it in comparison to mods for the Bone.

I found a dog (something I somehow managed to avoid doing during my 100+ hours with the game on 360) and it began following me. Within 20 minutes it was dead on the floor of a dank tunnel deep underground. Kinda made me sad.

OraleeWey

Its a great game without mods and a great game with mods. Im playing vanilla on PC and PS4 at the moment.

I once said the same. Finish your first run vanilla, then get wild with the mod game. Hopefully by then some better tools will be out and you'll have an easier/better time with it.

Some of what you can expect from mods
A ton more spells across all schools, including useful ones like negating fall damage.
Revamped perks, bringing more variety to gameplay.
Changing the race abilities and powers, examples being infinite out of battle stamina or faster swimming as an Argonian.
Changing the standing stone abilities.
Combat mods, making things less spongey and monotonous.
Those are just examples from one modder.

Put it this way:

Vanilla Skyrim - Decent game, nothing too special.
Skyrim with the right mods - GOAT contender.

There's a lore reason I suppose. Vampires have never been one unified group in TES games. In Morrowind you could choose between different vampire clans to join for example.
Kind of like how if you could be a bandit in Skyrim, you probably shouldn't be surprised that other bandits would still attack you on the roads.

Haha! I remember saying that about Morrowind! Give it time, my friend. Install a mod like Ordinator in a future playthrough to see the kind of sweeping improvements mods can make to the base game. Or even little quality of life things like a mod that makes arrows spin in the air after you fire them, like they should do. At the very least you're bound to appreciate mods like Skywind and Beyond Skyrim that are adding entirely new provinces to the game. All lore friendly, so just like the best quality DLC expansions you could hope for, all for free.

Oh yeah for sure. Mods do add more immersion to the game. I probably should have worded my original statement different. All I was trying to say was that the game vanilla is perfectly fine without mods. It doesn't really need them but some mods I would install are things that don't change the core game. Mods like visual upgrades, more grass, higher res textures, spinning arrows, etc. I remember adding the Milky Way Galaxy to the night sky in Fallout New Vegas. It made the sky pretty :)

kris.

Banned
as much as i love vanilla to death, i finally finished Dawnguard for the first time last night and that was a drrraaaagggg. can't wait to never do that again and just deal with the random vampire attacks.

vgamer1

I just hit level 11 and had no idea about this dawnguard stuff. Should I put the companions on hold and go take care of the vamps?

Is anyone using the ClImates of Tamriel mod on the Xbox One? If so, are you experiencing stuttering when looking around? Doesn't matter if I'm inside or out, it will stutter and it's quite jarring.

Lorcain

I just went through that cave.
I feel a little bad that I left the blind dude there by himself while all his comrades are dead. And I took his book.
I'm not sure how he went blind, but sadly for him he didn't develop enhanced voice recognition to compensate.
I also liberated him from all of his bandit companions. I felt like they were a bad influence. As I've pushed further into my Skyrim experience, I sometimes wonder if he's still sitting in that chair.

You're probably in the same boat as me, at Sony's mercy with allowing external assets and increasing mod limit.

I could grab it for the Bone but I really want to play on the PS4 and soon, hoping Sony switches but I doubt it. They probably feel the Pro "upgrades" are worth it in comparison to mods for the Bone.

SkyUI isn't on the Bone either, right? That'd be a game changer, I'm already having trouble adjusting back to the original UI.

DeaDPo0L84

So I just got the Ebony armor and for first time realized that the black crush issue is super bad on Xbox. In Whiterun standing by the blacksmith in open daylight my armor is so dark I cant make out any of the details. This really sucks cause it makes me not even want to use the armor.

Tiops

Can you guys recommend me some REALLY stupid and silly mods? I have a small channel on YouTube and some subscribers are requesting that I broadcast Skyrim, but I'm not the biggest fan of the series, so I want to make things fun to me too, and the best way would be to include some really stupid shit on it.

I saw a mod that changes the shouts to farts, one that makes bears sing in autotune, Macho Man dragons, but I'd want some more unknow stuff to make things a little different.

I apologize to the purists and people that take the lore seriously. Maybe after I finish the joke run I can try playing it seriously.

Feeroper

Do the mods on the Xbox version affect the performance of the game very much? I imagine that will depend on the type of mod being used.Given that it is a closed platform spec wise, I am curious about how viable these mods are before they start affecting the 30 fps the vanilla game runs.

Do the mods on the Xbox version affect the performance of the game very much? I imagine that will depend on the type of mod being used.Given that it is a closed platform spec wise, I am curious about how viable these mods are before they start affecting the 30 fps the vanilla game runs.

I can tell you for sure that the Realistic Water Two mod has zero effect on framerate. Haven't tried any other environmental mods yet though.

UberLevi

I downloaded the Ordinator perk mod and also the race and standing stone overhaul mods as well, and I think I'm going to attempt to play a non-lethal Imperial Bard who's focus is supporting his follower and debuffing enemies. I've never played Skyrim this way and I think these mods might facilitate that style of play.

After playing Skyrim with some great mods on PS4, I'm understanding why Skyrim is so popular with people. I'm having so much fun with this game and I'm loving the Thief Guilds and Dark Brotherhood. Are there any other guilds I should join? I know there's a mage guild and something called Champions guild.

MCN

Banned
I've downloaded the Live Another Life alternate start mod. Think I'm going to be an Imperial Thalmor hunter.

Can you guys recommend me some REALLY stupid and silly mods? I have a small channel on YouTube and some subscribers are requesting that I broadcast Skyrim, but I'm not the biggest fan of the series, so I want to make things fun to me too, and the best way would be to include some really stupid shit on it.

I saw a mod that changes the shouts to farts, one that makes bears sing in autotune, Macho Man dragons, but I'd want some more unknow stuff to make things a little different.

I apologize to the purists and people that take the lore seriously. Maybe after I finish the joke run I can try playing it seriously.

I might have to rebuy Skyrim on Xbox One or when I get a good PC in order to change to shouts into farts.

After playing Skyrim with some great mods on PS4, I'm understanding why Skyrim is so popular with people. I'm having so much fun with this game and I'm loving the Thief Guilds and Dark Brotherhood. Are there any other guilds I should join? I know there's a mage guild and something called Champions guild.

Is this your first time playing a TES game? If so I'm jealous of that feeling =P

TG and DB are definitely the best, and almost always are in this series. The Companions Guild (probably what you mean by Champions) has a unique twist, though you'll probably see it coming from a mile away, and the College of Winterhold is nice if you're a Harry Potter fan, but otherwise only really useful for the Master level magic spells. For plot it's all about the TG and DB =)

I downloaded the Ordinator perk mod and also the race and standing stone overhaul mods as well, and I think I'm going to attempt to play a non-lethal Imperial Bard who's focus is supporting his follower and debuffing enemies. I've never played Skyrim this way and I think these mods might facilitate that style of play.

There's a mod called Become A Bard that you might want for that playstyle as well! It has its own perk system: you gain bard exp by playing instruments; you can play at taverns for free rent and get some tips from people watching; audiences will gather and applaud; if you have a companion they can be set up to play alongside you; gain enough exp and perks and you can start playing for jarls, and they'll reward you with enchanted items instead of gold; speechcraft skill is also levelled every time you play an instrument.

IT'S SO GOOD.

Is this your first time playing a TES game? If so I'm jealous of that feeling =P

TG and DB are definitely the best, and almost always are in this series. The Companions Guild (probably what you mean by Champions) has a unique twist, though you'll probably see it coming from a mile away, and the College of Winterhold is nice if you're a Harry Potter fan, but otherwise only really useful for the Master level magic spells. For plot it's all about the TG and DB =)

There's a mod called Become A Bard that you might want for that playstyle as well! It has its own perk system: you gain bard exp by playing instruments; you can play at taverns for free rent and get some tips from people watching; audiences will gather and applaud; if you have a companion they can be set up to play alongside you; gain enough exp and perks and you can start playing for jarls, and they'll reward you with enchanted items instead of gold; speechcraft skill is also levelled every time you play an instrument.

IT'S SO GOOD.
I barely played Skyrim on 360 in 2011 and could not get into and I also tried Oblivion as well and was not into it. However, I might try the older Elder Scrolls games after this. I'm surprised how much fun I'm having and I'm loving the lore here as well.

Are there more guilds as well besides those four? I think there's something called Bard College, Imperial Legion and Stormcloaks guild, but I might be wrong.

kris.

Banned

neat! i actually ran into that NPC issue while doing the Blessings of Nature quest. somehow, after I got Nettlebane, Danica Pure-Spring found her way into some kind of blue hell that was inaccessible except by console use. it was the weirdest thing.

Top Bottom