• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

I barely played Skyrim on 360 in 2011 and could not get into and I also tried Oblivion as well and was not into it. However, I might try the older Elder Scrolls games after this. I'm surprised how much fun I'm having and I'm loving the lore here as well.

Are there more guilds as well besides those four? I think there's something called Bard College, Imperial Legion and Stormcloaks guild, but I might be wrong.

Yep, but they're minor guilds. Nothing fully fleshed out. The civil war factions were supposed to be fleshed out into something really impressive, with forts regularly changing hands on the fly like a strategy war game from an RPG perspective. They had to cut most of the content to meet their release date though, and they never picked it up again.

Loads of dialogue and scripts were left over in the game though, and modders have managed to piece loads of it back together. Civil War Overhaul was the most robust of these, but there's no SE version yet.

Heh, entering Solitude and over half of the NPC's that normally appear to witness Rogvir's execution are missing, as are the executioner and captain of the guard. Instead, when I'm outside the city, I can hear them shouting. I think removing Open Cities fucked with my game a bit. :lol

Vuze

Can updates break mods?
Certainly so. I would let others test the water for 12h+ and then see what the general consensus is ;)
Also, with this being a beta update, I wouldn't really rush out to get it. Probably beta for a reason knowing Bethesda ha.

Plasmid

I'm about 11 hours into my Bosmer build. LOVING this remaster so far. Mind you i do have ~90 or so mods installed but damn, this game just feels so much better than vanilla 2011 Skyrim.

OraleeWey

Hey guys, is it worth building your own house or should I just buy Breezehome? I should mention I've never built my own home from scratch before.

I have 10,000 coins to work with.

Well, I think my save is fucked. Solitude is missing most of its important people and the execution of Roggvir doesn't happen. I tried reinstalling Open Cities to see if that would fix it, but alas. I knew I shouldn't have installed a big, script-heavy mod like that, but sometimes you just wanna try something.

I might just restart now that most of the mods I want are out.

Andodalf

Banned
Crosspost from PC Thread. Beta Update 1.1.51 is live on Steam.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=222804047&postcount=589

YEESSSS SOUND FIXES! PLZ COME TO CONSOLE

Only some?! WUT?
I think I just dump the vanilla Skyrim soundfiles back into the Special edition and be done with it.

Only some had problems.

Hey guys, is it worth building your own house or should I just buy Breezehome? I should mention I've never built my own home from scratch before.

Breezhome is pretty convenient, namely due to its proximity to shops. The player made homes are not.

Huh, the Sounds.bsa is now even bigger than it was in original Skyrim. 1.42GB vs 900MB. SSE Sounds.bsa before patch was around 500MB.
Someone do some comparisons.

Andodalf

Banned
Huh, the Sounds.bsa is now even bigger than it was in original Skyrim. 1.42GB vs 900MB. SSE Sounds.bsa before patch was around 500MB.

They had to re do their sounds for ps4s file format, they had no reason to to do the same for X1 and PC while they were already at it.

heringer

Dawguard boss fight spoilers:

Fighting two dragons with the help of Durnehviir was one of the most amazing moments this year for me. Three dragons in the sky, fighting in this gorgeous snowy área with cracking ice underneath. Simply amazing.

I died right after I finished off the second dragon, so close!

There's a few cool, and free, modded homes to download. I dl'd a treehouse for hunters.

I'm having a quest breaking bug where a NPC I need to talk to is no where to be found and is missing. Other people on Bethesda's community and Gamefaqs are complaining as well. I just wait until a patch comes out and play this game again. I honestly was not expecting this kind of major bug since Bethesda has so much time to fixed them :(

What is the reason for people playing up to the Greybeards in the main quest and then doing other things? This is the point I am at hence the reason I ask. Is it worth it to continue the main quest? I have played it before when it first released but I can hardly remember it.

On Xbox One, what mods can anyone recommend? I like the look of the darker night mod and the street lamp one also, I am just looking for anything to get the most out of the game really.

FUS..........

Game just amazes me every. Single. Time. I think I've seen it all and I have nothing new to experience I find something new

Last night I found a skooma den that let me try their wares. so I sneak around to the cellar and fins it's really a vamp stronghold. So I feel cocky and try to take them on and theyre way over my level. So I GTFO and think the coast is clear by the time I make it back up to the den. But no, all those NPCS are hostile now. So I make it outside, still shitload of NPCs on my tail... then of course a dragon comes and wipes them out, then the dragon starts pwning me, then a bunch of imperials come in and I think I'm in the clear but no dragon took them out, then I high tail it to Riften and was able to finish off the dragon

Cant believe so many years later I can walk away with stories like that. Glad I decided to pick this up again, was strongly considering against it with so many games coming out

That's what makes the game so good. You created your own adventure, unscripted, without map markers or quests. Who knew that a skooma operation would be a front for a vampire lair?

There's a cave near Whiterun (just off the road on the way to High Hrothgar) that is filled with bandits, except not all is right. From incompetent sentries (including a blind one), beast handling gone terribly wrong, to a mutinous plot to overthrow the gang leader, it's all there in this tiny micro-plot of Skyrim hidden away in a little cave.

This. This is why this game is so relevant, this is why it's so loved despite being so "Dumbed down" - Morrowind and Oblivion don't have moments like these, they don't have the same kind of sandbox fuckery going on that Skyrim has. I'll admit as much that Skyrim doesn't have the same kind of Emergent Gameplay concerning mechanics as its predecessors, but it's got things to replace them. If it was as bad as the RPG Codex hatedom insists, why is it so beloved by the more, ahem, well adjusted people of the world?

Someone please tell me if Morrowind has any dungeons with interesting micro-lore/slice of life stories going on like the Whiterun Bandit Cave of Incompetence. Skyrim is significantly more alive in these respects than Morrowind.

.......RO DAH!!!

So I just have Skyrim on PC, not the edition that lets you update to this one for free.

Is worth buying this, even if you have modded up the original?

Any benefits?

Kinda sad the oghma infinium glitch is patched. Kinda wanted to max out my warriors build.

There is still one OI glitch. You may copy the book, but once it's read, all of them are however. however, copy them. Then press both triggers and A simultaneously, and you may read three of them. May be exploited to nine twelve.

Don't know how that works on pc, or SE, though, but it worked after 1.9

Trace

Banned
So I just have Skyrim on PC, not the edition that lets you update to this one for free.

Any benefits?

Personal opinion: not yet. Once the major mods transfer over and you can get an equivalent experience it'll be worth it for the engine enhancements, but right now without stuff like SkyUI and SKSE it's not the same experience.

Eusis

Personal opinion: not yet. Once the major mods transfer over and you can get an equivalent experience it'll be worth it for the engine enhancements, but right now without stuff like SkyUI and SKSE it's not the same experience.
I'd also just wait on a sale unless money is no object, but that'd be me feeling a little bitter over missing the sales on DLC and complete editions. Kind of "if I could've just upgraded my game for cheap earlier I would've had this! So fuck it!" especially since by the time the mod scene was more properly ripened the game will be on sale anyway.

(And yeah, I do have it. This thought process is more for things like, say, Driveclub VR if I had a PSVR and for some reason the Plus version of the game plus Season Pass didn't work.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FUS..........

This. This is why this game is so relevant, this is why it's so loved despite being so "Dumbed down" - Morrowind and Oblivion don't have moments like these, they don't have the same kind of sandbox fuckery going on that Skyrim has. I'll admit as much that Skyrim doesn't have the same kind of Emergent Gameplay concerning mechanics as its predecessors, but it's got things to replace them. If it was as bad as the RPG Codex hatedom insists, why is it so beloved by the more, ahem, well adjusted people of the world?

Someone please tell me if Morrowind has any dungeons with interesting micro-lore/slice of life stories going on like the Whiterun Bandit Cave of Incompetence. Skyrim is significantly more alive in these respects than Morrowind.

.......RO DAH!!!

You do realize the people who played Morrowind and Oblivion have the same feeling too right? Skyrim isn't much "unique" in that regard. And yes they do. Hell, people this day thought "Jiub was in Kvatch" was a Skyrim thing when he was in Oblivion too
as a severed head in Kvatch
. There was a quest in Bloodmoon that was only resolved in Oblivion. Certain quests tie with quests from other factions. etc.

The fuckery you even mentioned exist in older games too, that's why Morrowind and Oblivion are loved after all - because you can glitch them out a lot. You weren't around when the games had shit like flying paintbrushes were you? Basically the reason this is hated because it had the fuckery but it removed the statistical gameplay elements. And I'd argue Oblivion was more ambitious than this game. Normal people like this game in the same vein they like games made for the masses - they appeal to many people and are safe.

Any benefits?

Honestly, stick to the original until this game is on sale and the major mods have moved over.

Well, since my main save is potentially fucked over (don't see the point of continuing if I might potentially run into something game-breaking later, I decided to reroll as a female Dunmer refugee in Solstheim. Down on her luck, she decides to leave for Windhelm after she wakes up repairing a mysterious monument outside Raven Rock. She'll end up joining the Dark Brotherhood, killing her targets with weapons she conjures out of thin air.

Once I've beaten Dishonored 2 next week, I'll start a new character to do the main quest with. Wulf shall rise again!

I love how you can make your own character and your own adventure. Fallout 4 was lacking severely in that department.

If it was as bad as the RPG Codex hatedom insists, why is it so beloved by the more, ahem, well adjusted people of the world?

Pretty silly argument, popularity does not necessarily guarantee a good product. Also as a regular Codex visitor my impression is that Skyrim is held in much higher regard over there than Oblivion.

And yes, Morrowind has these things going on. Not to mention that the overarching narrative and Dunmer lore is, in my opinion, a lot more interesting than the Dragonborn story.

bosseye

So tempted to pick this up, but trying to be good, I've already got a ton of stuff to play. It's only £35 in Sainsburys, plus all this PS4 mod chat has me interested. I modded to THE MAX on PC so I know how awesome they can be. I just love Skyrim and I never finished the main quest. I always get sidetracked. Maybe I'll get it and it can sit with my long term games like Witcher 3; those games I dip into every couple of months.

Maybe I'll trade Bioshock collection, that hasn't grabbed me nearly as much as I thought it would.

ISee

So tempted to pick this up, but trying to be good, I've already got a ton of stuff to play. It's only £35 in Sainsburys, plus all this PS4 mod chat has me interested. I modded to THE MAX on PC so I know how awesome they can be. I just love Skyrim and I never finished the main quest. I always get sidetracked. Maybe I'll get it and it can sit with my long term games like Witcher 3; those games I dip into every couple of months.

Maybe I'll trade Bioshock collection, that hasn't grabbed me nearly as much as I thought it would.

If you want the SE version for modability then you'll be very disappointed ithe the ps4 version.

Lanrutcon

FUS..........

.......RO DAH!!!

Yeah. Morrowind had a ton of interesting shit. And if you want to talk sandbox fuckery then Oblivion still wears the crown. Skyrim scaled down the fuckery when it gimped crafting and removed spell creation. Also: reverse pickpocking, boys and girls. Look it up. You could do some crazy shit.

No offense, but posts like yours make it seem like you played a lot of Skyrim and only briefly dabbled in its predecessors, if at all.

Raxious

Thinking of picking this up for the PS4. Got the SE for PC as well but my laptop can't run it ^^'

Guessing it's not worth it for the PS4 mods though right?

Such hyperbole. There are plenty of mods which enhance the base game, especially the one's that add extra dungeons and rebalances the loot so that dragons and end dungeon chests have better rewards.

that's for the PS4? i don't remember seeing that one.

ISee

This, especially if you're used to PC. The Xbone version gets by, but the mod support on PS4 is practically nothing.

Very dissapointed with Sony and very surprised about some Xbox mods. Microsoft is really trying very hard to please customers.

But PC will be always the place to play Skyrim (imo). The vistas you can get there are very nice ;)

skyrikm4ksap.png

Jacknapes

Last nights activities. Adopted Lucia, adopted Meeko and completed a couple of random side-quests, including the Blessings of Nature.

Had a little trouble with beating the Hagraven, as it kept shooting fireballs at me before i could get close enough. Decided by random accident to use the "revive the dead" spell and the "slow time" chant, got one of the witches revived to fight against it, which allowed me to get close enough to attack.

Currently living in a fully restored Breezehome, probably won't bother building the 3 manor houses until later on, last time i decided to move my family to the Lakeside manor and my kid died after a bandit attack.

lazygecko

My favorite random thing in Morrowind is a cave with a tomb somewhere on the northern coast that has vampires in it. At first glance, that seems to be all there is to it. But if you pay attention to the cave area by the entrance you can find a stash of levitation potions, subtly suggesting that you look up. Turns out the place has an entire vertical element to it, and by levitating to an additional room near the ceiling you find a bandit hideout and some journal lore describing how they cleverly used the tomb place as a front for their operation and hide themselves from intruders. Great way of subverting expectations by leveraging specific mechanics in the game.

To suggest that older TES games didn't offer plenty of moments like these is ridiculous and says a lot about how much time you spent with them.

CloudWolf

Playing through the Dawnguard DLC and I didn't think it was great when it came out, but I am really not liking it at all right now.
It's simply not that fun.

What's wrong:
1. The quests seem really drawn out. Did I really need to be dragged through 5 giant landscapes and underground caverns to get that damn bow?
2. Playing as a vampire just plain sucks. When in vampire mode you frequently get stuck in the geometry, you can't do simple things like loot. It was tedious having to transform out of being a vampire to do your looting.
3. Didn't find the loot all that exciting.

Thoughts?

The worst thing IMO was that they made this huge point in marketing (and the quests itself) about making a choice and how you get these two distinct playstyles. But when you actually play the DLC you find that:

1. Almost all the quests are the same for both factions
2. The only real difference are two or three items, since you can get crossbows and even become a Vampire Lord no matter what side you pick.

IMO it's easily the worst Skyrim DLC.

Dude... have you even played Morrowind and Oblivion? In Morrowind you could, if you wanted, fly (or more accurately, levitate) across the entire map and that's not even a glitch or a mod, that's just in the vanilla game, you could kill main characters and the game acknowledged this, one of the very first spells you find in Morrowind causes you to jump hundreds of miles into the sky, the very first dungeon contains a group of slaves you can free and then encounter in a later portion of the game. I also love how in Morrowind every random bandit is named, it gives them a lot more personality than 'Bandit Leader' who happens to have two or three lines of dialogue.

So is there any chance on the PS4 version getting good/interesting mods that make it worth it to dive in at full price? Or is it best to wait for a sale to happen?

This has probably been asked loads already but I have the OG Skyrim on Steam but none of the dlc, If I buy a cd key for the legendary edition tonight, which I've seen for like £14. Will I be eligable for the free upgrade to this version? I mainly want to upgrade for the better mod support :)

Top Bottom