• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Will the Pro update reduce the pop-in on PS4? Have they said, or is it just a res upgrade?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Isn't it just miscellaneous quests you can miss out on though? Guess it just never bothered me to lose some of them, Skyrim is chock full to bursting with that stuff.

I'd rather have the vampire attacks than not, but I can see why you guys don't like it. Maybe setting the attacks to start when the player hits a higher level would've been a better idea. At least there's always a mod for it!

Incidentally, I just downloaded the More Immersive NPC's mod. It looks pretty cool.

nope

for instance if there's an attack in Falkreath, Lod will die (low HP) and you can't do Clavicus Vile, and due to small amount of quests, can't be thane.

Soodanim

Yeah, as well as SkyUI, SMIM, new high-res textures, grass & flora overhaul, water, weather, and even ENB all have been ported over. There's absolutely no reason to play vanilla Skyrim now. And it'll only get better from now on.
Shortly after someone posted the SkyUI link someone said their home container wasn't showing a large amount of the contents, so I'm still on OG. Good to know about new hi-res textures though, that's one step closer to invalidating OG.

Not sure I could give up Better Vampires, but it may well be getting a port. It's one mod I might not replace with Enai's offering.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Surprised about the amount of support PS4 Skyrim modding has gotten. Its over 500 mods now and counting.

Can you survive a snowstorm with the hypothermia mod out in the wild? I freeze to death if I sleep in my tent and building a campfire also requires shelter to become warmer. Placing the campfire in my tent also doesn't help.

Modded Skyrim has a superior open world in every way to Witcher 3's

Well... no. Not every way. I'm a TES super fan and I still wouldn't say that. Skyrim's scale feels like a theme park, the environmental transitions are awful, and there are no forests in the game - just sparse collections of trees. The Witcher 3's environment team understood the importance of sub canopy, edge effect, shrub layers, etc with their forest design, while Bethesda thinks forest = mutiple copies of the same tree model in a semi confined space. You can also see a much more prominent impact from human landscaping in TW3, with farms and sub-urban developments shaping the land around them, whether that's fields of wheat, grazing livestock, or something as simple as pollarded trees around villages (something so niche I'll bet less than 1% of players even noticed or understood). Skyrim has some tiny fields around Whiterun and Rorikstead that act as farms, but... yeah. Most of it is poorly handled.

Bethesda nails the feeling of something always being around the corner, and having a great vista in front of you every time you round that corner. But from an environmental perspective they leave a lot to be desired, and were outclassed by the world of The Witcher 3 in almost every way.

kencey

Why i'm getting poor performance on SE ?
I tested my normal Skyrim with ENB and many mods on the same area i'm getting 60 fps while on SE i get 45 fps... WTF

Inuhanyou

More than half are cheat mods and minor tweaks though. Not really what I'd consider a mod.

We're not going to have to suffer through a "what is a JRPG" debate are we?

These kinds of mods are a vast majority of officially supported mods on either console. Your strict definition for what a mod is means nothing to what it actually is, which is a mod.

It doesn't matter the actual degree of the changes in the world, whether external assets or internal assets.

Doing the initial quest for the Thieves Guild and I can't find Haelga to get money off of.

The arrow quest if outside riften points toward riften but in riften the arrow on the compass just points south.

Has there been a bug?

(I have various mods on for appearance and weather and clothing)

cackhyena

Well... no. Not every way. I'm a TES super fan and I still wouldn't say that. Skyrim's scale feels like a theme park, the environmental transitions are awful, and there are no forests in the game - just sparse collections of trees. The Witcher 3's environment team understood the importance of sub canopy, edge effect, shrub layers, etc with their forest design, while Bethesda thinks forest = mutiple copies of the same tree model in a semi confined space. You can also see a much more prominent impact from human landscaping in TW3, with farms and sub-urban developments shaping the land around them, whether that's fields of wheat, grazing livestock, or something as simple as pollarded trees around villages (something so niche I'll bet less than 1% of players even noticed or understood). Skyrim has some tiny fields around Whiterun and Rorikstead that act as farms, but... yeah. Most of it is poorly handled.

Bethesda nails the feeling of something always being around the corner, and having a great vista in front of you every time you round that corner. But from an environmental perspective they leave a lot to be desired, and were outclassed by the world of The Witcher 3 in almost every way.
Yeah, their forests especially are something to behold. As an illustrator, I really appreciated the insane level of detail they put towards the low level forestry and shsuch. Unique gradations and markings in the ground you wouldnt find anywhere else on the map.

Mithos

Gold Member
Doing the initial quest for the Thieves Guild and I can't find Haelga to get money off of.

The arrow quest if outside riften points toward riften but in riften the arrow on the compass just points south.

Has there been a bug?

Quest arrows are sometimes "stupid, stupid, stupid" she is most likely in
Haelga's Bunkhouse (the Inn of Riften)

Quest arrows are sometimes "stupid, stupid, stupid" she is most likely in
Haelga's Bunkhouse (the Inn of Riften)

She isnt. Been at all hours. Waited days. Nothing. All I got was a quest to get her trinkets off of her lovers and one of them isn't showing up either...

Mithos

Gold Member
She isnt. Been at all hours. Waited days. Nothing. All I got was a quest to get her trinkets off of her lovers and one of them isn't showing up either...

Yeah this quest even though I have done it many times, always get me running around Riften like a drunk chicken looking for them (every time).

Who is missing from that 3 man list for you?

As for Haelga locations when and where.
Haelga wakes up at 6am to have breakfast, before starting work at 7am in her bunkhouse, where she tends the front desk. At 2pm she goes out shopping in the Riften market before returning to work at 6pm. She finishes work at 7pm and enjoys dinner at the bunkhouse, and then goes out at 8pm to meet Bolli for drinks at the Bee and Barb. She returns home at 12am to sleep.

Has there been a bug?

That happened to me a few times and I don't think it's caused by any mods. While I can't say with 100% certainty, my educated guess is that the NPC ended up out of bounds.

If you are on PC there is a console command which you can use to teleport them next to you:

Bring up the console with '~' (in case you have an odd keyboard layout, it's the key directly left of 1 and under ESC)
Type "prid <RefID of the NPC>" for Haelga it's 00019DDA
Press Enter
Then type "moveto player"
Press enter

The NPC will then be teleported right next to you. Had to fix 2 quests myself like this.

Unai

Why i'm getting poor performance on SE ?
I tested my normal Skyrim with ENB and many mods on the same area i'm getting 60 fps while on SE i get 45 fps... WTF

Try disabling v-sync in the SkyrimPrefers.ini. It's very bugged and performance is a lot better for me after I disabled it. It never does below 60 using a GTX 970 and an i7 2700k.

For PS4 owners how has your experience been so far?

I'm thinking of picking this up closer to Christmas and to make myself okay with the lack of mods I plan on just wearing the Nightingale set and focusing on conjuring a dagger and bow. I will get the perks that make both the dagger and bow stronger against enemies since all weapons perks effect their conjured version. And I guess I will be a loner with no companions.

Or are there any vanilla recommended companions for cool dialogue and can be stealthy? I just don't want them throwing off my stealth plans since it might be the best way for me to enjoy the game without external combat mods.

Staf

Have Bethesda said anything about ironing out some of the bugs of SE? Such as the vampire attacks. Or are they leaning on mods to do that?

Inuhanyou

For PS4 owners how has your experience been so far?

I'm thinking of picking this up closer to Christmas and to make myself okay with the lack of mods I plan on just wearing the Nightingale set and focusing on conjuring a dagger and bow. I will get the perks that make both the dagger and bow stronger against enemies since all weapons perks effect their conjured version. And I guess I will be a loner with no companions.

Or are there any vanilla recommended companions for cool dialogue and can be stealthy? I just don't want them throwing off my stealth plans since it might be the best way for me to enjoy the game without external combat mods.

PS4 is very great performance and visuals wise speaking in my own experience...but its shitty that i'm noticing more weird shit than i did in like 300 hours of my 360 playthrough.

I'm trying to follow Delphine and she frequently runs off the road, then we get to a bridge with what under it, she runs off the road into the river and gets swept downstream off a waterfall.

I don't know what to make of it.

Some graphical bugs like your wrists not existing if you have a certain kind of outfit on is just bizarre as well

How much better is this than the vanilla Sky rim on PC?

Kinda got an urge to play Skyrim again anyways (wanna finally try playing as a sneaky archer) but I don't wanna pay for the remaster if it's only a nominal improvement over the original

rockx4

How much better is this than the vanilla Sky rim on PC?

Kinda got an urge to play Skyrim again anyways (wanna finally try playing as a sneaky archer) but I don't wanna pay for the remaster if it's only a nominal improvement over the original

Graphical improvement isn't huge, but it has much better lighting and shadows. The game also feels more stable with the better memory management. Mods are a bit lacking right now due to no SKSE, but I'm still enjoying it with the mods that are currently out. It's not gonna look close to a fully moded vanilla Skyrim, but it still looks great (imo). I haven't used vanilla gear in a while lol.

Side note: I'm greatly enjoying crossbows, never really used them in the past 1200 hours between PC and Xbox gameplays. I've always gone with bows, but crossbows are amazing.

FutbolBat

Banned
It's really hard to go back to this after The Witcher 3...
Nope.... Skyrim is so much more immersive. And this edition on console is gorgeous. IMO, the art style is on another level. W3 may have more detail, but its just not as interesting to look at. And that w3 UI... I never want to look at it again.

Graphical improvement isn't huge, but it has much better lighting and shadows. The game also feels more stable with the better memory management. Mods are a bit lacking right now due to no SKSE, but I'm still enjoying it with the mods that are currently out. It's not gonna look close to a fully moded vanilla Skyrim, but it still looks great (imo). I haven't used vanilla gear in a while lol.

Side note: I'm greatly enjoying crossbows, never really used them in the past 1200 hours between PC and Xbox gameplays. I've always gone with bows, but crossbows are amazing.

What's the difference between crossbows and bows?

rockx4

What's the difference between crossbows and bows?

Don't have to manually draw arrows, the bolts are reloaded. The bolt reload adds time, but still feels faster than drawing an arrow to me. It's easier to hit moving targets. I move around stealth and just mow down mobs.

How do I tell what's a sidequest and what isn't? I took on the Dragonborbe quest assuming was required, started trying to fight the Lurker at level 6, then went online to find out I'm in DLC and shouldn't be fighting him until I'm 40 or beyond. I was under the impression that this game scales to the users level, but if not I need to be a LOT more careful. I was wondering why everything got so hard all of a sudden...

rockx4

How do I tell what's a sidequest and what isn't? I took on the Dragonborbe quest assuming was required, started trying to fight the Lurker at level 6, then went online to find out I'm in DLC and shouldn't be fighting him until I'm 40 or beyond. I was under the impression that this game scales to the users level, but if not I need to be a LOT more careful. I was wondering why everything got so hard all of a sudden...

The quest headers. Scroll to the bottom, shows headers for quest types. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Quests

Do attacks naturally become stronger as you level up or are you only stronger because you can invest in more perks?

I wanted to hop in the game and just mod myself to level 30 or so.

I'm thinking of making a Vampire that conjure weapons. It would let me RP and explain why I don't need to eat real food.

I just don't want to get attacked randomly though.

SirNinja

Made a thief-type character and am having a blast. I cheated Faendal out of thousands of gold by getting Archery lessons from him then "trading" the gold back from his inventory. I made it up to him by naming him steward of a fully-decked out Lakeview Manor. (Which I financed largely from stolen items, of course.)

Next up: getting good with Illusion magic. I was lucky enough to have a Muffle tome drop early on, and it's done wonders. Was able to escape the Thalmor embassy completely undetected for the first time ever. It's just an Apprentice-level skill but it levels Illusion crazy fast. Invisibility is going to be part of his repertoire in no time.

He's working on getting the Thieves' Guild back on their feet, of course, but I forgot how arduous that is. You have to do a lot of radiant quests to get all the shops/services up and running, and while there's always a rush in forging a business ledger and escaping just a second before you'd otherwise be caught, it's a bit of a grind. Especially since I'm currently wanted in three holds after a few pickpocketing mishaps.

All this and I have a really cool idea for a mage character as well. Even without any mods, this game has some serious legs.

R0ckman

Yeah, as well as SkyUI, SMIM, new high-res textures, grass & flora overhaul, water, weather, and even ENB all have been ported over. There's absolutely no reason to play vanilla Skyrim now. And it'll only get better from now on.

When was sky and enb ported?

When was sky and enb ported?

SkyUI was ported almost right after the SE released. However, it's only the early 2.2 version as newer versions require SKSE. But at least it works. The Nexus page is removed though, so if you want it, you can get it here. As for ENB, boris has just released the first beta version a couple days ago.

Made a thief-type character and am having a blast. I cheated Faendal out of thousands of gold by getting Archery lessons from him then "trading" the gold back from his inventory. I made it up to him by naming him steward of a fully-decked out Lakeview Manor.

I was curious and hopefully I didn't miss this somewhere in the thread if it was asked, but I have Faendal with me now and when I go to trade items with him I don't see any way to trade gold just items. Do you trade gold in a different way? Thanks in advance!

oneils

Can you survive a snowstorm with the hypothermia mod out in the wild? I freeze to death if I sleep in my tent and building a campfire also requires shelter to become warmer. Placing the campfire in my tent also doesn't help.

That doesn't seem right. Do you have both the frostfall and campfire mods installed? You can place the campfire right outside the door of the tent and should be able to stay warm.

It's really hard to go back to this after The Witcher 3...

I feel the opposite. As someone who loves both games I'm finding the exploration in Skyrim to be significantly superior to the Witcher 3.
Just got to Blackreach today in Skyrim and it blew my mind. The area is just HUGE and connects to all other sorts of ruins and shortcuts to the surface. You literally can get lost just exploring. I never had that feeling in The Witcher 3 (and I love TW3).

So when you change the key bindings, it doesn't get reflected in the menus. I spent 3 minutes figuring out why I couldn't favorite my healing spell only to find a message board about this exact problem from 5 years ago. As huge of a game this is on PC, I'm amazed it didn't get fixed back then, much less in the remaster.

Top Bottom