• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

heringer

This has probably been asked loads already but I have the OG Skyrim on Steam but none of the dlc, If I buy a cd key for the legendary edition tonight, which I've seen for like £14. Will I be eligable for the free upgrade to this version? I mainly want to upgrade for the better mod support :)

No, the free upgrade was only up until the launch day. Now you have to buy the SE separately.

pitchfork

Still a looker (Xbox One)
Screenshot-Original.png

adz2ka

Getting my PSPro next week but quite busy up to the end of the month. Then FFXV comes out.

Think I might get this as my Christmas play toy when I have a week off (even despite that not being enough time). Looking forward to seeing it in glorious 4k. Plus, I reckon it might drop it price for Christmas..

Hobbun

In regards to the Dawnguard quests, I have heard that the
vampire attacks
do not start until your character levels to 10.

However, I was watching a friend of mine play last night, he is only 9th level, and saw
vampire attacks
in more than one location.

So either the 10th level requirement wasn’t true, or it’s changed for the Special Edition.

vampire attacks

However, I was watching a friend of mine play last night, he is only 9th level, and saw
vampire attacks

So either the 10th level requirement wasn’t true, or it’s changed for the Special Edition.

I got attacked in Whiterun when I was level 8 so definitely not true.

Lanrutcon

vampire attacks

vampire attacks

Saw attacks at level 6 when I started my Special Edition character.

gang, i gotta tell you that i only ever initially looked at this thread to see if skyui was available at launch, but now i'm configuring ini files to make grass a little nicer

NBtoaster

I was surprised to learn that custom scripts can't be done on PS4, which limits the functionality of mods much more than I thought. You're simply restricted from uploading .bsa files on ps4 which would contain custom scripts, textures, models and audio.

But people do seem to enjoy what you can make with vanilla content. Mini quests and flavor added to the world seem to be craved but not many people make them.

Hobbun

I got attacked in Whiterun when I was level 8 so definitely not true.

Saw attacks at level 6 when I started my Special Edition character.

Ok, so the 10th level requirement is definitely not true.

I wonder what activates the actual
vampire attacks?
My friend didn’t actually activate the Dawnguard quests yet, as he had the guy approach him when going to Whiterun, to activate the quests.

Something else must activate the actual attacks.

Lanrutcon

vampire attacks?
My friend didn’t actually activate the Dawnguard quests yet, as he had the guy approach him when going to Whiterun, to activate the quests.

I started a fresh character, wombled into a few mines to get ores, then proceeded to Whiterun. First time I stepped inside a
Vampire Master
and 2 of his herd attack the front gate. The smith's wife was a casualty. Rather annoying.

Humdinger

My favorite random thing in Morrowind is a cave with a tomb somewhere on the northern coast that has vampires in it. At first glance, that seems to be all there is to it. But if you pay attention to the cave area by the entrance you can find a stash of levitation potions, subtly suggesting that you look up. Turns out the place has an entire vertical element to it, and by levitating to an additional room near the ceiling you find a bandit hideout and some journal lore describing how they cleverly used the tomb place as a front for their operation and hide themselves from intruders. Great way of subverting expectations by leveraging specific mechanics in the game.

15 years later, I still remember that.

Hobbun

I started a fresh character, wombled into a few mines to get ores, then proceeded to Whiterun. First time I stepped inside a
Vampire Master
and 2 of his herd attack the front gate. The smith's wife was a casualty. Rather annoying.

So what level were you? And I assume you reloaded?

It’s irritating that there is no clear indication of what activates the attacks. I thought it would be talking to the Orc, where he invites you to visit Fort Dawnguard, but the attacks happen before that.

I guess I will just need to save constantly and try to only visit towns/cities in the day.

Realistic Water Two is a really nice mod, but I've noticed they removed the interactive element of the water (I.e. Water leaving a wake behind you as you move). No big deal, but it takes some of the immersion away.

I have also discovered that the mod Falskaar really puts a hit on my FPS on Xbox One. I thought it was Climates of Tamriel, but I had to fiddle with it a bit and discovered it was the cause. Kind of a bummer really. 😢

Realistic Water Two is a really nice mod, but I've noticed they removed the interactive element of the water (I.e. Water leaving a wake behind you as you move). No big deal, but it takes some of the immersion away.

I have also discovered that the mod Falskaar really puts a hit on my FPS on Xbox One. I thought it was Climates of Tamriel, but I had to fiddle with it a bit and discovered it was the cause. Kind of a bummer really. 😢

The other Realistic Water (the first one) still has it. But yeah, the other textures and effects are much better on the Two.

Lanrutcon

So what level were you? And I assume you reloaded?

It’s irritating that there is no clear indication of what activates the attacks. I thought it would be talking to the Orc, where he invites you to visit Fort Dawnguard, but the attacks happen before that.

I guess I will just need to save constantly and try to only visit towns/cities in the day.

level 6, and no I didn't reload. Her husband was still alive to act as a smithing merchant so I soldiered on. I hadn't even met the orc yet.

Coxy100

Banned
Vampire Master

Damn.

So do the vampire attacks happen only when you visit places? Somebody else mentions only visiting cities in day time - will I be safe if I only go into cities at daytime then? (not played the DLC before)

I intend to rush to Dawnguard around level 5 ish I think just to get rid of this evil system.

Damn.

So do the vampire attacks happen only when you visit places? Somebody else mentions only visiting cities in day time - will I be safe if I only go into cities at daytime then? (not played the DLC before)

I intend to rush to Dawnguard around level 5 ish I think just to get rid of this evil system.

I don't think so. I've seen corpses of vampires and the dogs inside Whiterun. The guards have already took care of them.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Why does everybody hate the vampire attacks? Is it because they start quite early, while the player is still at a low level, or is it that the frequency of the attacks makes people feel like they're being hassled to do the Dawnguard questline? Or is it just because the vampires can kill npc's?

I always liked the attacks. I think they add another flavour to the game, making the world feel a bit less predictable and a bit more alive.

Battle music won't stop playing for me on PS4, anyone know of a work around? I've tried reloading, restarting the game, sleeping, waiting, going in and out of places such as dungeons. It's getting on my nerves.

Lutherian

Why does everybody hate the vampire attacks? Is it because they start quite early, while the player is still at a low level, or is it that the frequency of the attacks makes people feel like they're being hassled to do the Dawnguard questline? Or is it just because the vampires can kill npc's?

I always liked the attacks. I think they add another flavour to the game, making the world feel a bit less predictable and a bit more alive.

Because sometime, some midly important PNJ can die in the battle.

Lanrutcon

That's true, but in my example the woman that died took 2 quests with her to the grave.

Jacknapes

Yet to have a vampire attack, but have had the Cultists visit from the Dragonborn DLC. Their bodies remain in Whiterun, and some random NPC was mourning them during the Battle of Whiterun.

kris.

Banned
started a two-handed RIPPED AF nord last night and i think i got to level 8 and i'm basically 1-hitting everything with a steel battleaxe. i'm in wolf armor and feel invincible. honestly i feel almost as OP as i would playing a sneak archer. this is fun.

Hobbun

Main reason being for what a couple of people have already indicated, that you can lose quests if the vampires kill certain NPCs.

Also, where I understand your viewpoint of liking the unpredictability, I am the opposite in that I like ‘safe’ areas (like cities/villages) in my RPGs. I come to villages to talk to NPCs, do crafting and pick up quests. I don’t want to have to worry about being ambushed by a bunch of vampires, as well.

It’s actually the main reason I stopped playing Wizardy 8. Loved the gameplay, but hated that attacks could happen anywhere, even in town.

Yeah. Morrowind had a ton of interesting shit. And if you want to talk sandbox fuckery then Oblivion still wears the crown. Skyrim scaled down the fuckery when it gimped crafting and removed spell creation. Also: reverse pickpocking, boys and girls. Look it up. You could do some crazy shit.

No offense, but posts like yours make it seem like you played a lot of Skyrim and only briefly dabbled in its predecessors, if at all.

Yes, I played them so briefly and nonexistently that I refuse to play Special Edition until Requiem is out for it. I'm truly a filthy casual who will completely ignore the merits of the previous entries and will defend every bit of the flaws of Bethesda's present stable.

Really loving the creative misinterpretations of my posts going on lately. I was pretty clearly talking about things like random encounters interacting with what the player is in the middle of in unforeseen ways like escaping a bad encounter because a random Dragon interrupted the fight - As far as I can tell, Morrowind was entirely fixed in this regard with no random events whatsoever save for the poorly implemented Dark Brotherhood assassins. And I wasn't talking about overarching plot and series lore, I was talking about each little bandit camp having its own mini story told via notes, NPC dialog, and some environmental cues that makes it feel like the bandits were there for some reason instead of just being placed there to be enemies to kill for XP.

Look, I intensely disliked the vanilla game, and I came to hate Fallout 4 after the honeymoon period wore off to the point that I'm probably not going to touch it again until some Requiem-tier mod comes out for it - But I'm not going to invalidate what things Bethesda gets right in their games just because the mechanics have been going downhill.

And no, Oblivion will never wear the crown. Not even OOO could fix Oblivion.

I'll give you reverse-pickpocketing though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Two things:

1. Is there a mod to reenable trophies/achievements for consoles?

2. I will say that I am quite pleased with the load times on PS4 being considerably quicker. Things seem to load real quick.

Hopefully it will improve even more on PS4 Pro with an SSD.

vampire attacks?

Dawnguard I think can start pretty close to the beginning. Being level 10 is when you can actually start the Dawngaurd quests. I try to knock it out asap so i don't have any casualties

daman824

Maybe check your load order. Falskaar doesn't mess with my fps.

Wait nevermind, it forces itself to load first. Hm idk

Hobbun

Dawnguard I think can start pretty close to the beginning. Being level 10 is when you can actually start the Dawngaurd quests. I try to knock it out asap so i don't have any casualties

Yes, you are probably right.

There was information I had read (I believe it was on GF) that indicated if you didn’t level your character to 10, the attacks wouldn’t trigger. Which obviously is not true.

How long would you say it took you to finish the Dawnguard quests? What level were you?

Rellik

Finished my Deus Ex run through, now on to Skyrim PC. I'll probably spend a week modding it before I even do anything.

Hello new life.

Edit: oops I meant to post this in the mod thread. This is what happens when you read both at the same time.

Coketruck

I'm playing on XB1, with a few mods installed (unofficial patch, Lamp posts, road signs, rich merchants, a couple of others). The camera gets incredibly jittery when I turn, but is fine as long as I'm moving straight ahead. It's almost unplayable. Anyone else having this issue?

Ashodin

W8MDtXg.png

Four days after my first dragon kill

I have been camping outside of Whiterun because it is cheaper and I enjoy the solace of just my horse and I. Having just saved Whiterun from some outlying bandit camps (threatening them from receiving supplies for the winter), I grew in strength and learned how to deal more damage to my foes after they take a big hit from my blade. Restoration magic seems to be my favored school of choice; I often get into scrapes where I need to back away and heal myself before continuing.

I came across a particularly angry Wispmother, whom I had visions of myself endlessly dying over and over to her wisps and magic spells. After noticing its shots were moving wide of me, I figured it couldn't see well, and retreated to a safe space where her shots hit mindlessly against the rocks I hid behind, while I sent gouts of flame at her every so often to soften her up. What pitiful Destruction magic I wield! Once she was near death (I thought this because the melting of her body was becoming severe) I raced out with my greatsword and cleaved her in twain. She had clones... I guess? Those disappeared when the mother herself died.

I want to venture out to the west of Skyrim, and find the man being held in a prison against his own will. I also have to find some Alik'r and convince them to not harm this innocent Redguard woman I met.

Work goes slow on figuring out how to smith, but I'm learning. Perhaps I'll be as great as some of the ancient dwemer smiths, for I remember stories of machines glimmering gold and bronze.

For now though, I sleep. I need my energy for the trip westward.

SHarris78

Is there a way around around the Farkas bug in the Trouble in Skyrim quest?

I've completed the quest, it shows up in the cleared part of quests menu but the arrow next to it is hollow indicating I haven't reported back to Farkas. When I speak to him he doesn't mention the quest at all, plus I can't start any other quests within the Companions as they all say i'm already in the middle of one.

Hope I don't have to start over, took me long enough to furnish my house!

Yes, you are probably right.

There was information I had read (I believe it was on GF) that indicated if you didn’t level your character to 10, the attacks wouldn’t trigger. Which obviously is not true.

How long would you say it took you to finish the Dawnguard quests? What level were you?

I mean it can go quite a few hours. I think for the main for me was like 6 or 7 hrs not sure if I remembering right.

But right now I finished the first cave and I'm only a level 12. And again I'm not sure if I'm remembering right or not but I don't think you have to finish t all of the main quest to stop attacks but could be wrong

RPGam3r

They can remove quests by killing NPC simply bc you happen to get around level 11, which can be done very quickly. So to avoid this you are forced at a low level to go on a quest line.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Because sometime, some midly important PNJ can die in the battle.

That's true, but in my example the woman that died took 2 quests with her to the grave.

Main reason being for what a couple of people have already indicated, that you can lose quests if the vampires kill certain NPCs.

They can remove quests by killing NPC.

Isn't it just miscellaneous quests you can miss out on though? Guess it just never bothered me to lose some of them, Skyrim is chock full to bursting with that stuff.

I'd rather have the vampire attacks than not, but I can see why you guys don't like it. Maybe setting the attacks to start when the player hits a higher level would've been a better idea. At least there's always a mod for it!

Incidentally, I just downloaded the More Immersive NPC's mod. It looks pretty cool.

Soodanim

This whole ongoing discussion about vampires makes me happy that in content to just play OG Skyrim with the When Vampires Attack mod. When Vampires attack, people run home. Guards deal with it. Problem solved.

Well, since my main save is potentially fucked over (don't see the point of continuing if I might potentially run into something game-breaking later, I decided to reroll as a female Dunmer refugee in Solstheim. Down on her luck, she decides to leave for Windhelm after she wakes up repairing a mysterious monument outside Raven Rock. She'll end up joining the Dark Brotherhood, killing her targets with weapons she conjures out of thin air.

Once I've beaten Dishonored 2 next week, I'll start a new character to do the main quest with. Wulf shall rise again!

I love how you can make your own character and your own adventure. Fallout 4 was lacking severely in that department.
That's not too far off a character I did before (and will do again in SE).
A Dunmer woman from Solstheim lost everything, including her children, and at a low point decides to start fresh in Skyrim, vowing to never be weak again. She finds the Arentino boy when she lands in Windhelm, then figuring she has nothing to lose goes to Riften. Having lost her own children she attacks Grelod and soon finds herself inducted into the Dark Brotherhood, knowing it will bring her money and power. (The search for power makes her choose to be a Vampire Lord later on.)

I never role played before Skyrim.

Is Bethesda planning to address the black crush issue on xb1? It's borderline terrible in certain lights. I play third-person and sometimes it's like I'm just looking at a black silhouette of my character.

Other than that, I'm still having a blast 15 hours in. Role-playing a treasure hunter/pacifist. I'll only kill undead and the occasional spider if I have to. Zero human kills thus far. Haven't even spent a perk point in any combat skills, just sneak (for laying traps thanks to the Ordinator mod)

PFD

Apparently the new patch is available for beta opt-in. Has anyone tried it? Does it break mods? (Steam version)

Top Bottom