• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I couldn't resist and took advantage of the Restoration alchemy exploit to level up like mad.

Went through two legendary runs of alchemy.

Anyone fought a Wispmother yet? I could swear they've been remodelled. Maybe they just look better but they seem far more detailed than before.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
man the thieves guild questline is just bad

i don't know if i've ever actually finished it just because the mission structure is not fun

I found them greatly enjoyable
at Sneak 100 lol
I really enjoyed the story telling, and the NPCs actually. Can't wait to go through it again personally. Some really fun and memorables missions IMO.

SirNinja

I was curious and hopefully I didn't miss this somewhere in the thread if it was asked, but I have Faendal with me now and when I go to trade items with him I don't see any way to trade gold just items. Do you trade gold in a different way? Thanks in advance!

He has to be your companion. To do that, do his mini-quest in his favor (give Camilla Faendal's fake Sven letter). After that, just say "I need to trade some things with you" and you can just take the gold in his inventory right there, including what you gave him for training.

I got the platinum and had zero crashes. This had to be one of the most rock solid gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Sort of sad but that was the reality. Exceptional port.

Staf

Man, playing this right after Fallout 4 really shows what a disappointing game that was. The dialogue system, the quests and the world is so much better/more immersive in Skyrim. I fucking love this game.

Pakoe

I feel the opposite. As someone who loves both games I'm finding the exploration in Skyrim to be significantly superior to the Witcher 3.
Just got to Blackreach today in Skyrim and it blew my mind. The area is just HUGE and connects to all other sorts of ruins and shortcuts to the surface. You literally can get lost just exploring. I never had that feeling in The Witcher 3 (and I love TW3).

Agreed, The Witcher 3 does so many things right and is one the best games ever. But Skyrim does exploration right, even after a second playthrough i still get amazed.

I haven't had a crash at all. In fact I think it's the most stable version of the game I've played. What's happening in the game when it crashes?
Nothing really. I could just be walking and it crashes. When I click suggestions. It tells me I need to update the game. There is no update.

I noticed it will only crash in a specific area. I can walk away from that area and not get a crash. Unfortunately these areas are usually places I need to be in.

I had 5 crashes in one area before it would let me through. It was near dawnstar.

Wallach

Nothing really. I could just be walking and it crashes. When I click suggestions. It tells me I need to update the game. There is no update.

I noticed it will only crash in a specific area. I can walk away from that area and not get a crash. Unfortunately these areas are usually places I need to be in.

ain't been smokin' any of them mods have you

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I've had two myself. Both were attempting to fast travel somewhere far off.
Just in case, I'll save before fast travels. I don't really use them, so I might get stung there too.

I had 5 crashes in one area before it would let me through.

I really hope that area isn't THAT buggy for everyone. That would be terrible.

Wallach

*takes a drag* I have a few, but this is just a recent problem like the last two days. Never had an issue before hand with them.

might wanna back up your save (I have never done this on a PS4 I'm just assuming that is possible, cloud upload or something) and try turning off mods one by one to see if one is causing a crash in that region

might wanna back up your save (I have never done this on a PS4 I'm just assuming that is possible, cloud upload or something) and try turning off mods one by one to see if one is causing a crash in that region
Yeah I'll give it a shot later on. Has anyone else had issue with mods on PS4?

Recall

Yeah I'll give it a shot later on. Has anyone else had issue with mods on PS4?

Yep and it's normal. Mods effect different things in different ways, crashes and bugs are part of the game once you start using them.

I'm having issues with NPC's not spawning and when I enter a building for the first time items fly everywhere as if dropped from a great height when they loaded in.

bosseye

Bought this on PS4, a few hours in now. It's so good to be back, love it.

I've installed maybe 10 mod so far, just weather and visual tweaks. Hope the list keeps expanding on PS4.

Visually it looks really good I think. Yes, it's got some blocky geometry and low res assets, but viewed as a whole it's really nice. Runs perfectly so far too.

sappyday

I was enjoying my time back with this game after such a shitty experience I had with the PS3 version on launch day. It was nice having a solid framerate (a little hiccups here and there) and quick loading times. Plus mods are nice (PS4 version). Everything was looking good.

But this is Skyrim/Bethesda we're talking about.

I encountered a bizarre glitch. I was doing a Companions missions that needed me to speak to Skjor. I can't find the dude but my map tells me he's at the mountain for some reason, but the mini map tells me he's in Whiterun. Lo and behold, he's literally out of bounds of the map. Thanks to a youtuber that encountered this glitch back in the vanilla versions I was able to figure out how to get to him. While literally trying to break the game just so I can talk to this one NPC in order to continue a entire faction, I run into more Whiterun NPCs just floating on top of barren land. One of them I noticed wasn't at her post anymore (the blacksmith chick by the entrance and the bard) but I just thought her AI broke and she was standing in a same spot.

I eventually found Skjor. This was a whole other mountain scaling I had to do just to get to him. I talk to him and continue the quest. Now I have no idea how to get these characters back to Whiterun cause I fast traveled back there and I still couldn't find them.

Edit: I see there's already a thread for this issue on the official Bethesda forums. Fucking ridiculous. It's this kind of shit that puts me off on the game. I hope they fix it soon cause I was hoping to have this tide me over until FFXV comes out.

I feel the opposite. As someone who loves both games I'm finding the exploration in Skyrim to be significantly superior to the Witcher 3.
Just got to Blackreach today in Skyrim and it blew my mind. The area is just HUGE and connects to all other sorts of ruins and shortcuts to the surface. You literally can get lost just exploring. I never had that feeling in The Witcher 3 (and I love TW3).
Agreed. I can't really enjoy The Witcher 3 in the same way as I do Skyrim.

Man, playing this right after Fallout 4 really shows what a disappointing game that was. The dialogue system, the quests and the world is so much better/more immersive in Skyrim. I fucking love this game.
And also agreed. Fallout 4 becomes more and more of a "what the hell were they thinking?" game as time goes on.

It's really hard to go back to this after The Witcher 3...

Skyrim is the best for exploration because everything is so bunched together you don't have to have question mark icons on the map telling you where sidequests are. I am 20 hours into the special edition and I'm not even thinking about Witcher 3 and wonder how I ever criticized this game before. And playing as a conjuration mage is fun as fuck, it's a really different experience than playing as a warrior like I did in my first playthrough. You can just sit back and let your minions murder everything while occasionally throwing runes. But in Witcher 3 you have to slog through that sluggish swordplay no matter what. The only things Witcher 3 does better is graphics, voice acting, writing, and well, presentation in general.

Playing for the first time and I'm doing an archery build. Should I be dumping all my points into archery and sneak? Anything else that would be essential?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Playing for the first time and I'm doing an archery build. Should I be dumping all my points into archery and sneak? Anything else that would be essential?

There's an elf dude in Riverwood named Faendal. Make friends with him. You'll thank me later.

Stealth archery builds in this game are the best, you chose wisely. Just don't get discouraged with the bow in the early going. It doesn't get really great until around 60 skill and then you'll feel like motherfucking Legolas.

What in the flying fuck.

I have had 5 crashes now everytime I defeat the first dragon, go to the jarl and then move my camera after talking with him. PS4.

Aaaaand I've lost Lydia. She was booted away because I had to be with Aela for the Companions questline, but now I can't find her to get her back. I've checked Breezehome and Dragonsreach, and even Gallow's Rock again seeing that's where I woke up as part of the quest.

Any ideas? I'm on PS4, so console commands are out of the question.

Aaaaand I've lost Lydia. She was booted away because I had to be with Aela for the Companions questline, but now I can't find her to get her back. I've checked Breezehome and Dragonsreach, and even Gallow's Rock again seeing that's where I woke up as part of the quest.

Fast travel a couple times, she should appear eventually.

JMY86

She completely disappeared in my game while I was in Saarthal for the College of Winterhold questline. She was with me until I transitioned to another area within the dungeon and she just disappeared forever. I was kinda pissed because I had just forged her a full set of enchanted armor and she was a fucking beast. I have since moved onto Mjoll but it's not the same...

mujun

Almost got my Daedric set finished.

Just need 2 more hearts.

Looking forward to have an armor rating of 400 or something.

Went with a dragon war axe, though. Does slightly more damage and I prefer the look.

Man Iv never had a game crash so much. PS4

You didn't play Wasteland 2 on PS4. Skyrim has been pretty stable for me. I've only had three crashes after a ton of playing, and that's not bad for a Bethesda game.

This happened to me. I couldn't find her anywhere, she'd been lost for like a week or so. Eventually I went to breezehome and slept for a full day, or maybe two and she just popped up.

Pro: I've got Lydia back.
Con: On the way to getting Lydia back I fought a dragon which I (mostly) beat solo. It didn't give me a soul for it.

This game...

Luke_Wal

I was a PS3 player, so I never played Skyrim because it was supposedly a complete mess. I only have a PS4, though I'm getting a Pro Friday, and I will not get an Xbox or a capable PC (Mac user) for quite some time. Should I pick this up? How does it run? I've never played a Bethesda open world game before.

He has to be your companion. To do that, do his mini-quest in his favor (give Camilla Faendal's fake Sven letter). After that, just say "I need to trade some things with you" and you can just take the gold in his inventory right there, including what you gave him for training.

Okay cool, thank you! I think I did everything correctly so I'll go back and double check.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Urgh, how do I make my spouse wear new clothing that isn't armor (follower spouse)? The mining outfit doesn't really work well when you live in a mansion. I don't think mods were able to fix this too.

Cartho

I'd forgotten how annoying some of the difficulty spikes in Skyrim were. Cracking game but my god strolling through a dungeon full of bandits then getting to a room with a bandit Mage who takes off a quarter of my go with a single fireball, a bandit chief with a 2 gander who smashes through my armour like it's paper and another bandit highwayman with a sword and shield who seems to take no damage and dishes it out hard.

Irritating.

Patchy

Banned
How do you find the blood scroll? I have the dragon one as part of the Dawnguard DLC but it isn't showing where on the map I go to find it...

daxy

Urgh, how do I make my spouse wear new clothing that isn't armor (follower spouse)? The mining outfit doesn't really work well when you live in a mansion. I don't think mods were able to fix this too.

Couldn't you just give them regular clothing? You know, the ones without an armor rating that are just full outfits.

Top Bottom