• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Hobbun

The Golden Claw quest might as well be a tutorial mission so it would be a good place to start. Then I would recommend following the story missions for a little bit as you will unlock the ability to perform shouts. After that you can pretty much explore as most quests you come across should be fine (though I have read it is best to be at least level 35 before starting the Dragonborn DLC). Also you may want to consider getting some sort of house early on, as you will accumulate lots of cool stuff you may not want to sell.

So you think starting that Golden Claw quest is good for 1st level? I know I have to go to Bleak Fall Barrows, which is a good distance up the mountain. I figured there might be some other things to do that are closer to Riverwoods before heading that far out.

As for the shouts, I’ve been told the only way to do that is to kill a
dragon
. A couple of friends of mine suggested that you may want to hold off on killing
dragons
as then they start showing up a lot more often and can make exploring a bit of a pain.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Has the 4K patch for the Pro been released? I see all sorts of impressions, etc....but I have yet to see detailed impressions from someone playing the game in 4K on a PS4 Pro.

It was one of those Day 1 patches on Pro's release, but i'm reading in other threads here that the patch is already out.

So you think starting that Golden Claw quest is good for 1st level? I know I have to go to Bleak Fall Barrows, which is a good distance up the mountain. I figured there might be some other things to do that are closer to Riverwoods before heading that far out.

As for the shouts, I’ve been told the only way to do that is to kill a
dragon
. A couple of friends of mine suggested that you may want to hold off on killing
dragons
as then they start showing up a lot more often and can make exploring a bit of a pain.

Regarding the shouts:

When you get to Whiterun after starting the game, you get sent on a mission which has you kill a dragon. It is here you unlock shouts. (I am guessing if you put this off, you will also prevent dragons showing up), however you will also not be able to perform shouts or progress through the story.

The Golden Claw quest is super easy, it also crosses over with the story quest line, so if you skip it now you will end up going back after you speak to the Jarl in Whiterun.

Banned
I'm getting ready to jump back into Skyrim. I love mage builds but I'd like some advise to keep it fun.

Armor: Mage (magical), Light or Heavy?

This is rough because I don't like real armor because it makes you heavy and managing weight in Skyrim is a pain. Yet, Mage armor (via spells) has to be cast all the time. There is also the perk that makes mage armor stinger if you wear no other armor. How good is that perk? Is it worth giving up real armor?

Enchanting: Last time I played I'd planned on building up an epic set of equipment using enchanting but I found that it took way too long and was a real hassle to build up. Should I even level up enchanting or can I play a powerful mage without ever bothering?

Magic Pool vs Regen: Is it better to have a larger mana pool, or super fast regen, or both at the cost of reduced health?

I grabbed an Armor of the Mage mod today, if that helps. 100% Magicka Regen.

Are there any mods for PS4 that increase the game difficulty in a more strategic way? Just turning up the difficulty and making enemies stronger doesn't really cut it for me.

I saw one that simply makes you and enemies deal more damage, but I was hoping for something a little more intricate.

Any suggestions?

Ashodin

Are there any mods for PS4 that increase the game difficulty in a more strategic way? Just turning up the difficulty and making enemies stronger doesn't really cut it for me.

I saw one that simply makes you and enemies deal more damage, but I was hoping for something a little more intricate.

Any suggestions?

Check out Morrowloot, it makes enemies higher level than you, or also check out Smilodon Combat of Skyrim if it's up there.

Check out Morrowloot, it makes enemies higher level than you, or also check out Smilodon Combat of Skyrim if it's up there.

Neither are available for the PS4 it seems.

I did find one called mortal wounds which turns off auto health regeneration. Much better now at least. Also one that makes food heal a decent amount of health. Goes well with my archer for hunting.

Hoping to start this this weekend. Gotta' download it for the next day or so.

Ended up being able to switch versions, which I'm happy about.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody else getting a UAC warning every time they launch in windows 10? How can I stop these?

Anybody else getting a UAC warning every time they launch in windows 10? How can I stop these?

Some prerequisites probably weren't being registered as installed. Try uninstalling both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Visual Studio 2015 redistributables in the Control Panel, then run the game again. It's the Steam client that's triggering the warning, right? That's probably Steam trying to install the redistributables and "failing" - you probably had a newer version installed than what the game was expecting.

Once you can confirm the elevation prompts go away, feel free to reinstall a newer version of the same redistributables.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Some prerequisites probably weren't being registered as installed. Try uninstalling both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Visual Studio 2015 redistributables in the Control Panel, then run the game again. It's the Steam client that's triggering the warning, right? That's probably Steam trying to install the redistributables and "failing" - you probably had a newer version installed than what the game was expecting.

Once you can confirm the elevation prompts go away, feel free to reinstall a newer version of the same redistributables.

Awesome, totally worked. Thanks a lot!

I love when really minor but funny dumb shit happens. I was at the end of the Companions questline, and during
the old dude's funeral, I figured I'd steal some of his stuff. He won't need it anyway, right? But some random NPC saw me and I got a 7 gold bounty from the Companions. So I continue to the tomb to deal with the old guy's spirit and instead of starting the "Burn the heads to cure me" dialog, he berates me for stealing and makes me pay him 7 gold. Then I had to talk to him again to get the quest dialog.
Dumb and amusing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Remember when people said you could steal shit when you put a bucket on someone's head?

Turns out the ones being stolen aren't flagged as owned.

I love when really minor but funny dumb shit happens. I was at the end of the Companions questline, and during
the old dude's funeral, I figured I'd steal some of his stuff. He won't need it anyway, right? But some random NPC saw me and I got a 7 gold bounty from the Companions. So I continue to the tomb to deal with the old guy's spirit and instead of starting the "Burn the heads to cure me" dialog, he berates me for stealing and makes me pay him 7 gold. Then I had to talk to him again to get the quest dialog.
Dumb and amusing.

That's hilarious.

I hear that Bethesda deliberately left some bugs they thought were funny enough. I remember reading that some farm animals, like chickens and even your own horse, could report your crimes to the guards, but they fixed that one, because even though it was funny, it was unfair to players unaware of the joke.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I love the hilarious moments when you begin to power level crafting.

Step 1 make 90 iron daggers
Step 2 enchant 90 iron daggers
Step 3 shove them all in a barrel

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Unless I'm missing it.....are there any PS4 Pro 4K impressions of this game? Everything I've seen has been the game running on PS4 at 1080p.

I love the hilarious moments when you begin to power level crafting.

Step 1 make 90 iron daggers
Step 2 enchant 90 iron daggers
Step 3 shove them all in a barrel

For smithing, the value of the crafted item affects the experience earned, crafting gold rings gives you more XP than iron daggers.

An efficient and profitable way to level smithing:
Go to Halted Stream Camp just north of Whiterun and get the Transmute spell. That spell converts any iron ore in your inventory into silver ore, and silver ore into gold ore.
Then get tons of iron ore (buy, mine, doesn't matter), transmute it all into gold and then smelt it into gold ingots.
Craft shittons of gold rings.

bjork

I'm having way more NPCs randomly die. The Grey-Mane lady that runs the little shopping stand was dead in a gutter, and then Belethor died. Today I learned you can go in the Hall of Dead and see coffins for NPCs in Whiterun. So I took Belethor's key, but going in his shop does me no good. I thought Ysolda might take over since she talks about wanting to run a shop, but she took over the Grey-Mane stand first. Belethor's assistant dude is still chopping wood out back, but will he ever take over the store? I've always treated Whiterun as my hub, but I might move on if there's no general store for me.

Yeah I've had that issue before and thought it was a mod causing it, but turns out it's the same issue you have. It has fixed the problem for me so far.

Totally worked. Thanks for the help!

Hobbun

Regarding the shouts:

When you get to Whiterun after starting the game, you get sent on a mission which has you kill a dragon. It is here you unlock shouts. (I am guessing if you put this off, you will also prevent dragons showing up), however you will also not be able to perform shouts or progress through the story.

The Golden Claw quest is super easy, it also crosses over with the story quest line, so if you skip it now you will end up going back after you speak to the Jarl in Whiterun.

Oh, I wasn’t planning on skipping the Golden Claw quest. I was just wondering if there was anything you (or anyone else) recommended I do first, closer to Riverwoods, than running all the way up to Bleak Fall Barrows. But yes, I certainly plan on doing the Golden Claw quest in the immediate future.

As for shouts:

Yes, I know you wouldn’t get shouts and of course putting off the main quest, but I know there is much else to do and I only brought that up as I was told more than once that you may want to hold off killing a dragon as then they begin to show up often, which can be a pain at times. But it sounds like you feel the benefit of the shout ability supercedes that. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for your help.

Unai

Just install the "run for your lives" mod so that civil NPCs go home / run away when a dragon appears instead of trying to fight it and you are good to go. Shouting is a very fun thing to do in Skyrim. Dragons can be annoying when you are trying to do something else and they keep appearing, but it's easy enough to take care of them anyway.

shermas

There's a 1.99GB update for the Xbox One today

Yep.. The update fixed my screen clipping. No more missing letters on the left and right edges of the screen. And I can actually see how many lockpicks I have left (I have lots now, but it was pretty annoying when I was just starting out).

Not sure what else they fixed... The screen size issue was making me nuts, though.

Welfare

Yep.. The update fixed my screen clipping. No more missing letters on the left and right edges of the screen. And I can actually see how many lockpicks I have left (I have lots now, but it was pretty annoying when I was just starting out).

Not sure what else they fixed... The screen size issue was making me nuts, though.
They fixed that? Oh man I can't wait.

There should be an option to adjust the screen size however.

LiQuid!

Just experienced CTD twice in the span of 5 minutes. About a half dozen crashes total since I started messing around too. On PC. Fresh install, no mods, with pretty modest graphics settings. And I'm on a fresh format of my PC too, so nothing should be gunking up the game at all.. So yeah I'm thinking this game might have some crash problems.

Humdinger

Why does Belethor always sound sarcastic when he tells me to come again?

If I leave my adopted daughter alone by herself for several weeks in a row, am I a bad single parent?

Jacknapes

Reloaded a previous save, seems ok at the moment. Just started the quest to get access to the Dark Brotherhood. And the game keeps crashing as i'm trying to get the reward for completion.

Oh.... thanks my man! Wait, no, wrong guy!

142wOLmtfY4384.gif

Im going for a straight thief build, Im talking about a dagger and maybe illusion or something, will I run into any difficult areas that this build would have a hard time with?

Humdinger

Well you always go there to sell your shit and never buy anything, so...

True, lol. Never thought of that. Maybe if I buy some stuff, he'll drop the attitude.

p.s. Is there a way to get that preacher in Whiterun to shut up? He's getting on my nerves. Always with the yelling. Talos this, Talos that. Give me a break. He's literally there 24 hours a day; he never sleeps or eats, just yells all day long. I've tried talking to him, but that doesn't work. I've tried killing him, but the guards find that objectionable. How do I get this guy to put a sock in it?

shermas

Dawnguard missions, without fast travel, would be ridiculous. That fort is out in BFE, then you have to track all over the map, looking for people and things. Seems like a silly way to structure the missions, just in case people don't want to fast travel.

Top Bottom