• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
My Skyrim is being a total ass when it comes to water. It's flickering between two different textures and every time it does it makes super loud splashing noises. This is basically any water source, from however far away. Mods can't fix it, I can't fix it, I want to play the game but this is just killing it for me.

Unai

True, lol. Never thought of that. Maybe if I buy some stuff, he'll drop the attitude.

p.s. Is there a way to get that preacher in Whiterun to shut up? He's getting on my nerves. Always with the yelling. Talos this, Talos that. Give me a break. He's literally there 24 hours a day; he never sleeps or eats, just yells all day long. I've tried talking to him, but that doesn't work. I've tried killing him, but the guards find that objectionable. How do I get this guy to put a sock in it?

Put an arrow in his head while hiding in the shadows. If the guards don't know you killed him they won't go after you.

Is a possible to be neutral between
Stormcloaks
and
Imperial
? If no, what's the name of the misson when I need to pick a side?

Game is really fun so far and took me by surprised with how good it is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
True, lol. Never thought of that. Maybe if I buy some stuff, he'll drop the attitude.

p.s. Is there a way to get that preacher in Whiterun to shut up? He's getting on my nerves. Always with the yelling. Talos this, Talos that. Give me a break. He's literally there 24 hours a day; he never sleeps or eats, just yells all day long. I've tried talking to him, but that doesn't work. I've tried killing him, but the guards find that objectionable. How do I get this guy to put a sock in it?

kill him since he is a pointless character

alternatively,
defend whiterun as imperial

III-V

Novocaine

I played and finished this when it first released but one of the boys wanted this so I picked it up thinking I might mess around with it a little.

Turns out I forgot how much I loved the game! I thought I was over the Bethesda open world game with Fallout 4 but it looks like the problem was isolated to F4.

Gone about 20 hours so far as my Khajit archer. I'm keeping mods off for now.

Coxy100

Banned
I played and finished this when it first released but one of the boys wanted this so I picked it up thinking I might mess around with it a little.

Turns out I forgot how much I loved the game! I thought I was over the Bethesda open world game with Fallout 4 but it looks like the problem was isolated to F4.

I've started this again - love it - and am going to try it as a archer this time as everyone says how fun it is.

Must admit doesn't seem right though that the Dragonborn would use a bow as his main weapon... :)

Kaname

Me too and I'm having a blast :)
Sure mods are nice but the game is still very enjoyable fully vanilla. I miss SkyUI but whatever, getting used to it.

bosseye

Same. Really enjoying being back in this, I'd forgotten how much I like Skyrim. After the Fallout 4 nonsense, its just nice to be inhabiting a non speaking character where I can project my own preferences and motives into the adventures I'm having. The world makes marginally more sense than anything Fallout 4 managed.

I always play as an Argonian. They can breath underwater, plus lizards are great. This time though, I'm focusing on Archery.

The mod stuff on PS4 hasn't been too bad for me - I've found enough small graphical tweaks that suit my playstyle, there are some physics tweaks, I've got some additional content etc. Its nowhere near the plethora of options on PC/Xbox, but its just about ok and will hopefully continue to slowly grow. I did end up spending more time in the PC version arsing about with mods than actually playing the game, so in many ways this might be a blessing in disguise for me.

My Skyrim is being a total ass when it comes to water. It's flickering between two different textures and every time it does it makes super loud splashing noises. This is basically any water source, from however far away. Mods can't fix it, I can't fix it, I want to play the game but this is just killing it for me.

I had that problem. It was because my game was running at over 60 FPS so the physics was acting up. I searched and found something that helped me solved it by adding the one appropriate for me in the skyrim.ini file:

[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.0333 (is for 30fps)
fMaxTime=0.0166 (is for 60fps)
fMaxTime=0.0133 (is for 75fps)
fMaxTime=0.0111 (is for 90fps)
fMaxTime=0.0083 (is for 120fps)
fMaxTime=0.0069 (is for 144fps)
fMaxTime=0.0042 (is for 240fps+)

[Display]
iVSyncPresentInterval=0

Vuze

Man, the hostility AI in this game. Talk to some dude in a tiny village to get a mini quest, suddenly: vampire attack out of nowhere. Follower and me can handle the situation but I must have hit him during the battle so instead of being grateful for saving his life he runs after me lol.

Didn't kill him but I guess I can consider that mini quest as non-fulfillable as I will probably get arrested the next time I'm nearing the village in question :X

Novocaine

I've started this again - love it - and am going to try it as a archer this time as everyone says how fun it is.

Must admit doesn't seem right though that the Dragonborn would use a bow as his main weapon... :)

I transitioned into archery when I first played and yeah it's pretty fun. Once you get the zoom and slowdown it gets really good. Also the 3x damage in the sneak tree.

I'm going to also grab the summon bow spell so I don't have to worry about stocking arrows when I find a spell to power level conjuring.

Humdinger

cool, thanks. it's disappointing about the mod situation but eh. in some ways that might be a blessing for me, I get very easily distracted with that sort of stuff

:(

There are nearly 800 mods now for the PS4, so there's plenty to get distracted about, if you want. Most of them are small tweaks, though.

Unai

I transitioned into archery when I first played and yeah it's pretty fun. Once you get the zoom and slowdown it gets really good. Also the 3x damage in the sneak tree.

I'm going to also grab the summon bow spell so I don't have to worry about stocking arrows when I find a spell to power level conjuring.

The bound bow spell is very powerful. There are only a couple or so bows with more raw damage than it.

Also, the slow time shout is really good for a build like this. You can sneak attack like three people at the same time.

Humdinger

Traded in my old PS4 for a Pro, so I put my Skyrim save on a USB drive. I hope it transfers ok. I've put 30 hours into this character and I don't want to start over. Got my Archery and Two-Handed up around 50 now, so things are getting better.

I finally heard a guard say "I took an arrow in the knee" yesterday. ha.

So I noticed some of the text and health bars are cut off on my screen. And the TV that I'm using at this moment won't let me turn off overscan. No screen fit option, or just scan or anything. Anybody else having this problem?

Widge

Asking a quick question about challenge here, just to make sure that I am playing the game properly. Following relates to an early quest and the difficulty I encountered.

I've done the quest to revive the tree where you get the Nettlebane dagger. I found two parts of this INCREDIBLY difficult. On attempting to get the Nettlebane, there were a bunch of witches (fine) but then this really weird and incredibly nasty fireball shooting beast. The fireballs kill me outright and only by getting in its face, wailing away, potions potions potions, did I managed to get past this bit.

Similarly, at the other end of the quest, the spriggans that spawned nailed me repeatedly until I just about got past them after depleting my full stocks of fruit and veg as I totally caned all my potions.

Is this normal? These foes were such spikes and I'm wondering if I perhaps engaged in a mission that was too challenging for my character. Literally the first thing I did after getting out into the wide world post golden claw events.

on a different topic. I know that containers reset. Do objects that were on tables reset? I generally like to keep the world looking lived in if I can and prefer to restrain myself from ravaging homes and locations for their decorations.

The fireball shooting beast is a Hagraven. They are always level 20 so a low level character might find them difficult to kill.
Spriggans are weak to fire.

Sky87

I had that problem. It was because my game was running at over 60 FPS so the physics was acting up. I searched and found something that helped me solved it by adding the one appropriate for me in the skyrim.ini file:

[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.0042 (is for 240fps+)

[Display]
iVSyncPresentInterval=0

I can confirm this, you need to cap FPS to 60 to avoid flickering.

Also i thought adding those Havok edits to the .ini would make the game run slowed down or something when it drops below the set FPS? That's what i gathered from the Reddit thread.

Stitch

Gold Member
Skyrim Special Edition 1.2 Update

Fixes
​General stability and performance improvements
Fixed issue related to using alt-tab while playing the game (PC)
Fixed issue with water flow not rendering properly
Fixed crash related to changing from werewolf back to human form
Fixed crash related to reloading after changing Load Order of mods
General bug fixing and improvements with browsing Mods

Skyrim Special Edition 1.2 Update

Fixes
​General stability and performance improvements
Fixed issue related to using alt-tab while playing the game (PC)
Fixed issue with water flow not rendering properly
Fixed crash related to changing from werewolf back to human form
Fixed crash related to reloading after changing Load Order of mods
General bug fixing and improvements with browsing Mods

Ah, nice.

I'm wondering if they're going to add new graphical features in the future. I would love to see a proper HBAO+ or VXAO implementation in the game.

At least they're fixing bugs and performance issues, even though I basically encountered nothing wrong.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How would one go about getting the beta update? I'm in the Soul Cairn and the game is literally unplayable cause it keeps crashing after I kill the first Keeper.

edit never mind, I figured it out. I'll report back if it remedies my crashes. Game has been an absolute fiasco the last couple days.

edit 2: loaded into my latest save (quick saved about 10 seconds after killing first keeper) and instantly crashed.

protonion

Usually I despise open world game design plus I hated Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout.

I decided to give the special edition (ps4) a try and I'm completely hooked!
The game has something special. Like it is much much more than the sum of it's parts.

I abandoned the main quests early as I got owned by a troll on a mountain and now I'm randomly wandering the world doing quests. The game feels so packed with content, yet you do not feel overwhelmed.

A couple of questions.

1. Should I keep dragon bones etc for something? They are so heavy I bought a house just to store them.

2. Any decent equipment (one hand/heavy armor) easily obtained for a level 12 character? I've been stuck with steel armor plus that skyforge(?) sword for a while.

1. Should I keep dragon bones etc for something? They are so heavy I bought a house just to store them.

2. Any decent equipment (one hand/heavy armor) easily obtained for a level 12 character? I've been stuck with steel armor plus that skyforge(?) sword for a while.

1) Yes keep them. When/if(you should) get your smithing up to high level and you can create dragon weapons/armor, its worth it. I usually keep mine in a chest in my house as well.

2) Just keep exploring, you'll come across some juicy stuff eventually as you explore caves/crypts/etc. If you get your smithing up you can start forging/upgrading weapons and armor. You can kind of "game" the smithing system by creating "Nails" under building materials if you have tons of iron ore/iron ingots. Adrienne and the warmaiden shopkeeper usually have a bunch of iron stuff every 24 hours. Usually I would've said to make iron daggers, but it requires leather straps to create and selling thme doesnt net you much coin. Nails only cost iron, but they dont sell for anything. You can save nails for later when you build a house for the Hearthstone DLC.

If you don't have anywhere to store them yet, just sell them. Dragons spawn randomly in the wild so you can always get more to craft with later, plus they sell for some reasonable coin.

danthefan

Was excited about this coming out so over the last few days I've missed it up and tried get into it... But I'm just finding I have zero interest in playing it :(

Just doesn't feel good to play I'm finding. And it looks worse than I remember not that that's a huge deal. Think I'll stop stop. Ah well.

DrkSage

:( I'll wait, then...

[EDIT] - Seems like the game still has that overscan issue too.

I have a seiki LCD that wouldn't let me change aspect ratio at all, I would always be greeted by "ethesda" and this update fixed it. I would check the tv options again just in case

I transferred the game from PS4 to the PRO but I don't see any option available for choosing 4K, etc. Would I have to do a fresh start for this option to be available?

DrkSage

Saw a marriage mod for consoles, download it... can't marry olfina gray-mane

*queue hello darkness my old friend*

Edit: went to Serena... can't marry her either.

Fine. Didn't need a spouse anyway.

nf38Hopsa50bu.gif

Oh...

I can confirm this, you need to cap FPS to 60 to avoid flickering.

Also i thought adding those Havok edits to the .ini would make the game run slowed down or something when it drops below the set FPS? That's what i gathered from the Reddit thread.

I can't say, I haven't had it happen to me. I set mine to 144 fps and my game hovers around 100 fps but there hasn't been anything odd going on.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?

[HAVOK]

[Display]
iVSyncPresentInterval=0

I would like to hug you. And for posterity sake.
"Skyrim flickering water bad physics solved" for my future Google self.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So, I am playing this on PS4 Pro and TMK the resolution is a native 4K.

It looks great, but DAMN is it stuttering like crazy and feels janky.

I dunno, maybe they should drop the resolution a tad because so far I am not impressed with the performance.

OraleeWey

So, I am playing this on PS4 Pro and TMK the resolution is a native 4K.

It looks great, but DAMN is it stuttering like crazy and feels janky.

I dunno, maybe they should drop the resolution a tad because so far I am not impressed with the performance.

The pro let's you select resolution?

Also what is TMK?

Top Bottom