• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

AmyS

So, I am playing this on PS4 Pro and TMK the resolution is a native 4K.

It looks great, but DAMN is it stuttering like crazy and feels janky.

I dunno, maybe they should drop the resolution a tad because so far I am not impressed with the performance.

Yeah, and it's not just you. -- quotes from Digital Foundry:

Skyrim on PS4 Pro runs at native 4K - but there's a catch
The standard PS4 version has smoother performance overall

Sony emphasizes that games running on PS4 Pro must have frame-rates that are better than or equal to the game running on the standard PS4 console. However, that's not the case with Skyrim, where the increase in resolution can lead to a visible drop in performance in scenes where the GPU is pushed more heavily.

For example, scenes that feature use of alpha-heavy effects cause frame-rates to deviate from the desired 30fps target. In like-for-like situations, the PS4 Pro game sees a 2-3fps deficit, resulting in more noticeable stutter compared to the title running on the standard PS4 console. The base PS4 performance isn't impacted to the same degree, with only a few 1-3fps drops cropping up on occasion across a general run of play.

As such, the experience doesn't feel quite as smooth when running at 4K, with more substantial hitches when moving through detailed environments.
It's not a deal-breaker and by and large, the 30fps performance target is met. However, the drop in frame-rates does feel like step down from the more consistent 30fps update present across the standard PS4 and Xbox One consoles running the game, and that's a shame as the jump to 4K really does provide a tangible upgrade in visual quality in other areas.

at least in terms of resolution, as frame-rates remain capped at 30fps. However, performance isn't as solid as the base PS4 game, and ultimately we have a trade off in smoothness for an increase in raw image quality.
In this regard, those wanting a smoother experience would be better served by the base PS4 game, though you do forgo slightly improved image quality as a result.

So, while Skyrim Special Edition has a good stab at bringing the native 4K experience to consoles, the execution isn't quite flawless and it's actually Pro users with 1080p screens that get a raw deal - they get the exact same performance as the 4K users owing to the super-sampling implementation. The end result is that while it may only affects the game in certain scenarios, the bottom line is that Skyrim runs smoother on base PS4 hardware than it does on the Pro - and that's just not good enough.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-skyrim-special-edition-ps4-pro-face-off

My friend -- who loved Oblivion and Skyrim normal edition -- had never played Morrowind, and is finally starting the Dragonborn DLC.

It's amazing, lol. He's totally confused about how alien Morrowind and the Dunmer are. I'm like "yea bitch, they worship Daedra here," lmao.

I got off the boat to Raven's Rock and immediately felt like I was home.

I really hope TES 6 is a non-human land. I'm getting so bored of these n'wahs.

Humdinger

nf38Hopsa50bu.gif

Oh...

That's gotta hurt. I see that happen with giants and mammoths sometimes, too. They materialize in mid-air and then fall to the ground. Usually happens when the scene is loading.

Humdinger

My friend -- who loved Oblivion and Skyrim normal edition -- had never played Morrowind, and is finally starting the Dragonborn DLC.

It's amazing, lol. He's totally confused about how alien Morrowind and the Dunmer are. I'm like "yea bitch, they worship Daedra here," lmao.

I got off the boat to Raven's Rock and immediately felt like I was home.

I really hope TES 6 is a non-human land. I'm getting so bored of these n'wahs.

Same. I really loved the alien landscape of Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim have been way too human for me.

I'm playing Skyrim as a Dunmer, just to feel some link to that more alien world and lore.

Same. I really loved the alien landscape of Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim have been way too human for me.

I'm playing Skyrim as a Dunmer, just to feel some link to that more alien world and lore.
I'm kinda regretting not being a Dunmer for flavor reasons. I'm Argonian though, so I'm at least somewhat Morrowind'ish in character.

(Argonian traits blow Dunmer out of the water when it comes to stats, so I went with that.)

AmyS

Thought I'd share something that makes me smile a little.

20 years ago, hardcore gamers were anticipating a powerful, PS1/N64-beating console designed by 3DO and taken over by Matsushita (Panasonic) called the M2. It famously got canceled. Of the announced M2 games, the largest was a real-time 3D RPG called Power Crystal.

ImZhOiX.jpg
RKCwrEp.jpg

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.games.video.3do/Y1OzQ84WCSo/Cp7itfq2pbYJ

Subject: Re: M2 news
Date: 1996/05/10
newsgroups: rec.games.video.3do

One exceptional title under development off site is what is being described by IG sources as the first-ever virtual reality RPG, Power Crystal. According to those who have witnessed the game in motion, the early version of the graphics engine is blazingly fast despite its use of beautiful visual effects: You can walk up to the shore line of a river or lake and see glimmering translucent water splashing the shoreline without polygon breakup, and you can then look into the water and see pebbles and sedimentary rocks in the basin. Early versions allow the player to fully walk around and explore a village.

And a screenshot I just took of Skyrim SE

Hba2zSq.jpg

:)

Soodanim

I need to play Morrowind. The SE release has brought back the love and I need to experience it. I want to wait for a decent mod manager for SE anyway, I'm still on OG. Maybe I'll play Morrowind to fill that gap. I'm pretty sure I own it.

I've only really played Skyrim (I've dabbled in Oblivion, but in Skyrim I read books and all really get into the lore, lucky it's all the same) but I still agree about man vs mer. My first ever run? Bosmer archer. Second? Altmer mage. Third? Dunmer female vampire and DB assassin. I've not done an Orsimer run yet, I'm saving him for modded SE. Currently doing a Nord run to finally touch the civil war but it feels less interesting. Maybe it's because I'm playing purely melee, maybe its because I've accomplished the main thing I wanted (civil war), maybe it's because I'm thinking about a greybeard shout only run where followers do the melee for me. Mer and beast lore is a lot more interesting than man lore, though.

Patch 1.03 is killing the enthousiasm I have for this game on the PS4. I play for 10 minutes, fast travel. It crashes. I play for 20 minutes. Enter a dungeon. It crashes.

Fuck sake Bethesda. You really are terrible in performance despite the defense that Skyrim is huge. Shit like this should not happen.

Sky87

Just a random question:

As i discover new places, caves etc, is there any reason why i would NOT want to enter/clear it at once? I remember there used to be certain quest items lying around in caves and picking them up before starting the quest could bug the quest.

Basically i want to enter completely random places without fear of bugging out certain quests, like killing an NPC that is part of a future unstarted quest. I'm playing with zero mods.

120v

Just a random question:

As i discover new places, caves etc, is there any reason why i would NOT want to enter/clear it at once? I remember there used to be certain quest items lying around in caves and picking them up before starting the quest could bug the quest.

Basically i want to enter completely random places without fear of bugging out certain quests, like killing an NPC that is part of a future unstarted quest. I'm playing with zero mods.

after zillions of hours with skyrim that's never been an issue i experienced. once in a blue moon i'll get a quest item early, it just wraps up the quest once prompted by the quest giver

Patch 1.03 is killing the enthousiasm I have for this game on the PS4. I play for 10 minutes, fast travel. It crashes. I play for 20 minutes. Enter a dungeon. It crashes.

Fuck sake Bethesda. You really are terrible in performance despite the defense that Skyrim is huge. Shit like this should not happen.

It is really bad isn't it? I turned off all auto saving which kind of helped, but it was still doing it. It seems to happen when you fast travel into the big towns, no idea why.

Thought I'd share something that makes me smile a little.

20 years ago, hardcore gamers were anticipating a powerful, PS1/N64-beating console designed by 3DO and taken over by Matsushita (Panasonic) called the M2. It famously got canceled. Of the announced M2 games, the largest was a real-time 3D RPG called Power Crystal.

ImZhOiX.jpg
RKCwrEp.jpg

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.games.video.3do/Y1OzQ84WCSo/Cp7itfq2pbYJ

And a screenshot I just took of Skyrim SE

Hba2zSq.jpg

:)

Haha! I get that feeling as well in Skyrim =)

One of the reasons I'm okay with such long breaks between TES games (and perfectly happy waiting another 6 years for TES6, as seems likely) is that we see such huge strides forward in the open world RPG genre with each release. I know a lot of people like to laugh at Skyrim's shortcomings these days, but at release it was a huge step forward in so many ways over Oblivion. As was Oblivion compared to Morrowind, and Morrowind compared to Daggerfall.

There will always be fan favourites who claim older titles in the series are better because of X reasons, but one thing I think most everyone can agree on is that the tech advances in some really impressive ways each time, and mods can take care of everything else. Makes me VERY excited to see what TES6 will accomplish, presumably on a PlayStation 5 and Xbox... whatever comes after Scorpio. That's an awesome lowest common denominator to work to for hardware requirements.

Staf

Keeps crashing for me as well as off two days ago. I've stopped playing now and don't know if i'll return unless they patch this quick.

There is supposed to be an incoming patch. Already should be on PC, incoming for consoles:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016..._edition_ps4_patch_should_fix_crashing_issues

It is ridiculous it has to come to this. I am now having crashes every 1-2 minutes. Seems to me that the further you get into the game, the more issues it gets.

Sounds like the PS3 version all over again. Here's hoping the upcoming patch fixes the crashes but I am not getting my hopes up. It is still Bethesda...

bosseye

Playing on PS4 and honestly, sometimes it just looks so good. I decided to head for Falkreath last night so headed up past Riverwood along the lake shore. It was 4am, gently raining, bit misty....it just looked amazing, the lighting, the raindrops on the water, the distant trees. So atmospheric. Amazing. THey really nailed the freedom aspect of Skyrim, the sense that you can just head off anywhere and be your own character.

Also mods on PS4 - one of the best ones I've got is one that calms animals down a bit (I forget what its called), it stops every random animal from attacking on sight. It was always an annoyance on 360 to be set upon by Wolves, Sabrecats, fucking mudcrabs - why would a mudcrab attack me! All the time. Now though they all keep their distance a bit, Sabrecats will sit and watch and attack if you get too close, Mudcrabs don;t even bother, Wolves stay away. Also it doesn't affect the bad stuff like Trolls or Spiders, they still come at you.

Some of the graphics tweaks on PS4 are nice, Project Hippy which adds extra trees is actually really good. Volumetric fog, better storms, tweaked water shaders, more blood, better ragdolls. Its not as great as on Xbox or PC, but I've found enough to make me happy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But the one thing I think the old Chocolate Factory is inferior with the new one is the factory itself :(

Hobbun

I’ve always really enjoyed the option of crafting in my RPGs, so looking forward to building up the three crafts (Smithing, Alchemy and Enchanting). Also looking forward to building my own house in the Hearthfire DLC.

My question is, am I able to have all the crafting stations in my house, or at least outside on my property? From what I understand, there are like five different crafting stations alone through Smithing (Smelter, Forge, Tanning Rack, Grindstone and Workbench).

Will I be able to have all of those on my property?

Vuze

So I just arrived at Solstheim and got one-hit wrecked by three Werebears (my game crashed after I died but thankfully I am a notorious quick-saver). Anyway, how am I supposed to deal with those?

I'm only Level 10 and my trusty axe (the one I got from the Smith at Whiterun after joining the mercenaries there) only did chip-damage to them :(

Unai

Man how cool is playing as a Conjurer

Like BOOM magic swords outta nowhere

BOOM Fire atronach

BOOM yo bandit best friend's zombie corpse is beatin yo ass

Yes. Conjurations is very fun. Destruction is powerful in higher levels and a more traditional way of playing as a mage, but Conjuration and Illusion are the two most fun schools of magic in Skyrim, IMO.

Ashodin

Man how cool is playing as a Conjurer

Like BOOM magic swords outta nowhere

BOOM Fire atronach

BOOM yo bandit best friend's zombie corpse is beatin yo ass

hahahaha

My playstyle is TwoHander Paladin (Restoration). With Ordinator you get to even shoot laser beam holy powers and fuck up people with holy magic

Humdinger

Wtf ^ ? lol. I saw a horse's ass and hind legs sticking up out of huge boulder yesterday. The rest of the horse was inside the boulder, I'm assuming.

They really nailed the freedom aspect of Skyrim, the sense that you can just head off anywhere and be your own character.

Also mods on PS4 - one of the best ones I've got is one that calms animals down a bit (I forget what its called), it stops every random animal from attacking on sight. It was always an annoyance on 360 to be set upon by Wolves, Sabrecats, fucking mudcrabs - why would a mudcrab attack me! All the time.

Yes, "Less Aggressive Animals," I think it's called. I like that one, too. It makes things more realistic. Most wild animals would not typically attack you; they'd avoid you. The mod makes walking through the world less of a hassle.

... one thing I think most everyone can agree on is that the tech advances in some really impressive ways each time, and mods can take care of everything else. Makes me VERY excited to see what TES6 will accomplish, presumably on a PlayStation 5 and Xbox... whatever comes after Scorpio. That's an awesome lowest common denominator to work to for hardware requirements.

Yes, they've said it isn't in development yet, because the hardware doesn't exist yet that would support their vision. It sounds like a big step forward. Maybe a big VR component, too.

Bummer. I downloaded the patch yesterday but haven't gotten a crash yet.

I'm kinda regretting not being a Dunmer for flavor reasons. I'm Argonian though, so I'm at least somewhat Morrowind'ish in character.

(Argonian traits blow Dunmer out of the water when it comes to stats, so I went with that.)

Take it back, lizard man. ;)

I do like being a dark elf in Skyrim. I like being called "elf" in a derogatory sort of way, and the fact that I'm Dunmer adds flavor to certain quests, like the one in Windhelm regarding the downtrodden elves.

So I just arrived at Solstheim and got one-hit wrecked by three Werebears (my game crashed after I died but thankfully I am a notorious quick-saver). Anyway, how am I supposed to deal with those?

I'm only Level 10 and my trusty axe (the one I got from the Smith at Whiterun after joining the mercenaries there) only did chip-damage to them :(

When I started a character in Solstheim, I kited them back into Raven Rock and had the guards help me deal with them. I think five of them died, so I sold all their Bonemold armors. :lol

gatling

So I just liberated Fort Snowhawk and Ulfrich doesn't give me the dialogue to report it :( Can't find any fixes online.

Ugh, I remember having the same bug on both sides during various play-throughs. I think I ended up having to console fix it someway which I loathe doing.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Silly question, but does Special Edition use the HD textures from the original or not? I still had my old Skyrim install on my PC, but I'd never gotten around to downloading the HD texture pack until now. I've been playing a little of both, and the textures in SE just seem poor by comparison to original with HD textures. Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Silly question, but does Special Edition use the HD textures from the original or not? I still had my old Skyrim install on my PC, but I'd never gotten around to downloading the HD texture pack until now. I've been playing a little of both, and the textures in SE just seem poor by comparison to original with HD textures. Did I miss a setting somewhere?

They upscaled the textures from the HD pack. Sometimes, the results look... off.

My first character in OG Skyrim was a sneak character, but I didn't get as far as my new SE character. Having like 80 sneak and a bunch of perks (using Ordinator mod, also), leads to hilariously stupid things. Assassinating a dude standing in the Solitude Imperial barracks, surrounded by sleeping soldiers, and just walking out because no one saw or heard anything. Shooting a person standing in front of a crowd while standing behind crowd, and not losing sneak status and just watching everyone freak out as I calmly walk away. The Dark Bro's questline where you poison
the fake Emperor, I just went into the adjoining room when he was eating the soup, crouched down into sneak, and when all the guards freaked out and killed the cook, instead of hunting for me they just went back to neutral since I was "gone".

I oneshot backstabbed a Giant. That felt pretty good. But I was really bummed out you can't pickpocket them.

Also I'm like level 30 and am the guildmaster for the DB and TG, I guess I should maybe go see what those Greybeard guys want, they've been waiting for me for a long time.

Lmfao ^

I'm the same I love playing stealth because of the hilarious stuff you get away with. I'm also terrible for doing quests since I find 50 things to do instead on my way to turn something in >_<

Game is now crashing under 30 seconds with the 1.03 patch. It was crashing under 30 minutes with the new patch, but now it's unplayable for me. I disabled mods as well and still having same problem. The most bugs I ever had this gen and wish I never paid full price for this.

Ashodin

I forgot to keep doing this lol

LLr40mA.png

Day 8. Out near the College of Winterhold.

I'm wandering about and trying to find some lost wizards. Or something. I'm new to the college, and after checking out Saarthal, they seem to have given me more room to breathe. Room to breathe being more searching for lost wizards, apparently. I want to get out of these storms as soon as possible. Their frequency won't kill me from the cold, but I know that I keep finding strange and unusual wintry enemies. More on that later.

A campfire would be hard-pressed to setup. I'll write more tomorrow.

Hang on, what's tha- A BEAR!?

I need to get-

Bummer. I downloaded the patch yesterday but haven't gotten a crash yet.

That's the thing with this game. I haven't had a single crash in Patch 1.03 until I reached Solitude. The game crashed 10-15 times once I was inside that city. I could walk for 1 minute and; crash.

I decided to pick up a save before entering Solitude and I have had 1 crash in 3 hours. It depends per region. I can enter a dungeon and it would crash immediately. I can enter another dungeon and it would work fine.

Hobbun

I played for about an hour this morning and had no issues, even fast traveled once. However, my roommate played last night and it crashed twice within 15 minutes.

From what I understand, the PC version has the newest patch (that is supposed to fix the crashing). For those that are playing PC, are you noticing any difference?

daxy

I played for about an hour this morning and had no issues, even fast traveled once. However, my roommate played last night and it crashed twice within 15 minutes.

From what I understand, the PC version has the newest patch (that is supposed to fix the crashing). For those that are playing PC, are you noticing any difference?

Never had any crashes and still haven't experienced one. Patched up my game and reached Solitude yesterday and it was all a-ok.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Since the patch though I have trouble entering Whiterun.

Also I find it hilarious that every-Stormcloak related stuff outside of "Wulfric's cause" are either incompetent or bad. Even the equivalent of bad Imperial-supporting jarls have equally bad (or worse) jarls. Though I find it hilarious it's that one Stormcloak-supporting jarl that has an Argonian housecarl.

I played the original Skyrim for only a couple of days before my 360 RROD'd back in the day and just last week started playing Skyrim Special Edition on PC.

I was really loving this game until about the level 20 mark when everything just felt repetitive. This world feels vast but shallow. Quests are similarly laid out and the dungeons don't feel different in any meaningful way, enemy encounters feel either tediously difficult or tediously easy with no actual challenge. It feels like I either have enough numbers to defeat them handily or I don't and it takes several reloads to get the right battle luck.

The Thieves Guild was the only faction I actually completed and that was because it happened to be about 3 quests long and then all that was left were generic "go here and do a random thing" quests which I thought would pay off in improving the guild in some way but stopped doing after I had to steal the same object multiple times and it became clear it was just a way to get money.

Am I missing something? I feel like I'm meant to care more about the story and the world than I do and that lack of interest is killing any actual depth that may/may not be there.

Bethesda games have always had issues with combat and it seems to be the one area that always feels like the biggest afterthought. Skyrim's combat is still better than any Fallout due to it not having janky shooting mechanics but neither game feels actively engaging to play. Fallout New Vegas had an amazing dialogue system that made the world come alive but Skyrim feels so heavy with lore but not in a way that the player ever needs to care about. It's lore for lore's sake and it feels so disconnected from the player experience that I have no idea why it's there beyond being an evolution from the previous games in the series.

I enjoyed Oblivion although it was even more exploitable but the guilds felt more distinct and full of life than Skyrim.

I keep hearing amazing things about Morrowind and I don't care about graphics so much so would people recommend it given my issues with modern Bethesda games?

I’ve always really enjoyed the option of crafting in my RPGs, so looking forward to building up the three crafts (Smithing, Alchemy and Enchanting). Also looking forward to building my own house in the Hearthfire DLC.

My question is, am I able to have all the crafting stations in my house, or at least outside on my property? From what I understand, there are like five different crafting stations alone through Smithing (Smelter, Forge, Tanning Rack, Grindstone and Workbench).

Will I be able to have all of those on my property?

Depends on the property. purchased properties in cities, might have one crafting station or all. In the hearthfire places you can build all of them.

Humdinger

I was really loving this game until about the level 20 mark when everything just felt repetitive. This world feels vast but shallow. Quests are similarly laid out and the dungeons don't feel different in any meaningful way, enemy encounters feel either tediously difficult or tediously easy with no actual challenge. ...

Am I missing something? I feel like I'm meant to care more about the story and the world than I do and that lack of interest is killing any actual depth that may/may not be there....

I keep hearing amazing things about Morrowind and I don't care about graphics so much so would people recommend it given my issues with modern Bethesda games?

Well, that's a hard call. You seem awfully blah about Skyrim, and ultimately, Morrowind is another Elder Scrolls game by the same studio, so it's not going to be hugely different.

Morrowind has a number of advantages over Skyrim. It's not as dumbed-down; you have to figure things out for yourself, which adds to the immersion and mystery. It has more alien and varied landscapes. There are more magic options.

It also has some significant disadvantages. It won't look as pretty. The animations will be very awkward. The combat is awful -- really atrocious. And after a while, you may find the same sense of repetition there as well.

Hobbun

Never had any crashes and still haven't experienced one. Patched up my game and reached Solitude yesterday and it was all a-ok.

Really looking for those who had crashing issues on the PC, and had the most recent patch (not 1.03, the one after that) and seeing if the patch fixed the crashes. Considering it is almost the sole purpose of the patch.

Depends on the property. purchased properties in cities, might have one crafting station or all. In the hearthfire places you can build all of them.

Ok, I was really referring to building my own home with the Hearthfire add-on. That's great you can have all of them.

Thanks.

Had Lydia as my follower and she disappeared hours ago. Don't care.

Then met Serana as part of the Dawnguard DLC. Had her accompany me for a while since she's a good fighter. Now ready to continue her quest line (take her to her home) and she's just gone. Disappeared. So that's two followers gone and Serana sucks especially since now I can't continue the quest. This is really lame.

Top Bottom