• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

prgrs

Neo Member
Have done so, nothing happening.

I get:

Wait here
Trade
Go away

As conversation options...

After the moth priest reads her scroll, she's supposed to start a conversation with you which ends up with the both of you going to Castle Volkihar to infiltrate it through the back entrance (follow the shore to the left of the main gate), it's pretty linear from there into
the Soul Cairn

Which quest are you on for the Dawnguard DLC, 'Chasing Echoes'?

DrkSage

Just when I tought I've seen it all in this game...

Giants riding dragons...

Had a dragon SPAWN from the ground with a giant riding on its head just for it to get launched miles away at the speed of light

Edit: looks like someone also witnessed what I did
SJJzuAZ.jpg

lQZwcZf.jpg

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Dawngaurd was pretty good, started off slow but it was more enjoyable as it went on. However Dragonborn is really awesome. I feel bad I didn't bother with it the first time around. Writing is nothing special for both as expected but there's enough new locations to make it fun.

Dawngaurd was pretty good, started off slow but it was more enjoyable as it went on. However Dragonborn is really awesome. I feel bad I didn't bother with it the first time around. Writing is nothing special for both as expected but there's enough new locations to make it fun.

How is the DLC accessed? Do you just naturally run into it at some point?

How is the DLC accessed? Do you just naturally run into it at some point?

Yes for Dawnguard (hit level 10, though you'll see vampire attacks before then)

You'll get a letter to start Hearthfire stuff not long after playing

You'll need to finish The Way of the Voice for Dragonborn

But yes they'll come to you

Urgh, how do I make my spouse wear new clothing that isn't armor (follower spouse)? The mining outfit doesn't really work well when you live in a mansion. I don't think mods were able to fix this too.

Followers have a hidden set of equipment that they wont trade with you so you can't leave them naked and unarmed. OG Skyrim had some mods that allowed you to access this hidden equipment, but as far as I can tell, they haven't been ported over yet.

I am seriously contemplating on my skipping my full mage in Skyrim. Chose a Breton with a focus on Destruction, Conjuration and Illusion coupled with Enchanting and Alchemy but the constant switching between spells via the menu is seriously hampering my enjoyment.

I am playing on the PS4. I know that we have the favorites menu, but I am still having to rely on switching between fire, ice and shock because of the hefty resistances that come into play.

The controls on consoles just are not made for this style of play. I absolutely miss an ingame radial selection, where you can put 8-10 spells into a wheel and just quick select on the fly.

I am thinking of just going full on 2h warrior or sword and shield with a selection in Smithing and Enchanting.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyone else having this weirdness on PC?

Books display text fine but for letters/notes, only half the letter is occupied.

Followers have a hidden set of equipment that they wont trade with you so you can't leave them naked and unarmed. OG Skyrim had some mods that allowed you to access this hidden equipment, but as far as I can tell, they haven't been ported over yet.

Yeah and apparently even though you set them to 0, they'll reappear if you reload. Have to wait for the mods I guess :(

Ashodin

Books display text fine but for letters/notes, only half the letter is occupied.

Yeah and apparently even though you set them to 0, they'll reappear if you reload. Have to wait for the mods I guess :(

I'm also having that issue. Not sure what's causing it.

Yeah, that's happening to me too, but I have a text mod installed so I assumed it was because of that

Boss Doggie

Ah, I see. If you're on PC you could check if it's possible to tinker around with the armor rating on a specific outfit.

basically each npc has a "default" outfit that they always wear, and when you turn them as followers, they put on high rating equipment until you dismiss them

unless you're a College follower - for some odd reason they have different scripting that suddenly makes them run around naked

I'm also having that issue. Not sure what's causing it.

glad I'm not the only one, I think it's also an SE thing

Yeah, that's happening to me too, but I have a text mod installed so I assumed it was because of that

had it before the text mods too, so it's definitely something from SE

Jacknapes

Been doing a lot of Dawnguard this weekend, and a few other side quests. Wandered around Riverwood looking for the vampire disguised as a bard, and ended up doing the Love Triangle quest involving Sven, Camilla and Faendal*

*My character is married to Camilla, so found this a little awkward.

Luckily, it doesn't affect the marraige, so that was good. Dawnguard, i've recruited the 2 additional followers and learned the call to bring the undead Dragon from Oblivion to help when needs be.

Still rocking my 1/2 mage and 1/2 1 handed swordsman. Learned the Dragon shout which basically sets people on fire. Working on my lockpicking

Boss Doggie

One thing I'm surprised no one is using when criticizing Skyrim is how dumb the "major" quests are when it comes to handling paths.

For instance, in Oblivion, if you solely only do the main quest, then it's fine. You're not railroaded into other quests. At most, they are optional (like the Defense of Bruma's guards), and the closest it will involve you to another quest is getting one daedra artifact.

In Skyrim? In order to complete the main quest or Dawnguard, you are required to join the College, which essentially forces your character to be part of it. This gem needs appraisal? Gotta join the Thieves Guild despite nothing indicating in the quest. Certain Master level trainers? You gotta join the Dark Brotherhood. See the problem here? Even in Oblivion when you are required to ask someone from the Arcane University, they made the NPC leave her usual area so that she becomes accessible.

Sucks that you can't be a pure warrior Dragonborn but have somehow enrolled in Winterhold's College.

One thing I'm surprised no one is using when criticizing Skyrim is how dumb the "major" quests are when it comes to handling paths.

For instance, in Oblivion, if you solely only do the main quest, then it's fine. You're not railroaded into other quests. At most, they are optional (like the Defense of Bruma's guards), and the closest it will involve you to another quest is getting one daedra artifact.

In Skyrim? In order to complete the main quest or Dawnguard, you are required to join the College, which essentially forces your character to be part of it. This gem needs appraisal? Gotta join the Thieves Guild despite nothing indicating in the quest. Certain Master level trainers? You gotta join the Dark Brotherhood. See the problem here? Even in Oblivion when you are required to ask someone from the Arcane University, they made the NPC leave her usual area so that she becomes accessible.

Sucks that you can't be a pure warrior Dragonborn but have somehow enrolled in Winterhold's College.

I think you don't have to enroll into the College if you are far enough along the main quest, if you pick your dialogue options right, the lady that stops you at the entrance asks you to demonstrate a shout, at which point she lets you in. But I don't remember the specifics, been ages since I did that.

But I agree in general, it's the "must shove every single quest down the players throat" approach to game design. Almost like devs were afraid the players would miss content they worked on and made it so you have to be deaf and blind to miss something.

For example: I like the Thieves Guild questline, but I absolutely fucking hate how it's initiated.
Here I am, a hulking mass of heavy armor with a battleaxe the size and weight of of a full grown human on my back, when suddenly this shithead walks up to me and starts telling me how he "knows my type" and talks about framing someone for a crime. And he does this in broad fucking daylight, in earshot of guards and other characters.

It would be much more natural that you get invited to join the guild (letter via courier) after you've been arrested for crimes which involve theft and pick pocketing. The message reads something like "You messed up, but if you're willing to learn, it's not a problem."
Instead we get Brynjolf lying to your face about something you might not even be interested in.

Boss Doggie

She will ask for a shout if you already are considered Dragonborn, but at that point you're still automatically enrolled. Basically there's no option of entering for the sake of entering, as doing Faralda's gatekeeper shtick will forward you to the headmaster as though you joined.

And like the Thieves Guild you mentioned, there's also that forced Dark Brotherhood mention. Like "oh you know about that DB right? There's this kid who's even initiating it!" Which really undermines a lot of the faction's secrecy, even if you argue that they're in disrepair.

Hell I think the only faction not outright shoved in your face is the Companions, and even then it's because when you're heading to Whiterun you'd see them anyway.

She will ask for a shout if you already are considered Dragonborn, but at that point you're still automatically enrolled. Basically there's no option of entering for the sake of entering, as doing Faralda's gatekeeper shtick will forward you to the headmaster as though you joined.

And like the Thieves Guild you mentioned, there's also that forced Dark Brotherhood mention. Like "oh you know about that DB right? There's this kid who's even initiating it!" Which really undermines a lot of the faction's secrecy, even if you argue that they're in disrepair.

Hell I think the only faction not outright shoved in your face is the Companions, and even then it's because when you're heading to Whiterun you'd see them anyway.

Ah, right. Forgot about that.

Companions are shoved in your face, guards have a chance of saying that you should consider joining, at which point it's automatically added as a misc. quest.

I really hope Bethesda improves quest design in their future titles, Skyrim is great in many areas, but it's also very lazy in others.

Unai

I may be remembering it wrong, but when you are following the main quest, wasn't there an option to say that you are entering the college because you are the dragonborn? That way you didn't have to learn any magic.

Edit: Never mind. I just read the following posts.

I am seriously contemplating on my skipping my full mage in Skyrim. Chose a Breton with a focus on Destruction, Conjuration and Illusion coupled with Enchanting and Alchemy but the constant switching between spells via the menu is seriously hampering my enjoyment.

I am playing on the PS4. I know that we have the favorites menu, but I am still having to rely on switching between fire, ice and shock because of the hefty resistances that come into play.

The controls on consoles just are not made for this style of play. I absolutely miss an ingame radial selection, where you can put 8-10 spells into a wheel and just quick select on the fly.

I am thinking of just going full on 2h warrior or sword and shield with a selection in Smithing and Enchanting.

I am not the only one who is having this issue with mages on the PS4, right?

It's not perfect, but the favorites menu isn't working for you? I switch between a bunch of stuff on the fly using the favorites menu, and while not ideal, it's pretty quick.

Jamesways

basically each npc has a "default" outfit that they always wear, and when you turn them as followers, they put on high rating equipment until you dismiss them

unless you're a College follower - for some odd reason they have different scripting that suddenly makes them run around

had it before the text mods too, so it's definitely something from SE
On PS4 there's a Clothing into Light Armor mod that works great to get them to wear different clothes. I use for Lydia, the set of clothes has a higher rating than her default armor.

It's not perfect, but the favorites menu isn't working for you? I switch between a bunch of stuff on the fly using the favorites menu, and while not ideal, it's pretty quick.

I had one dungeon filled to the brim with mages that either had resistance to fire, ice, shock or 1 shotted my atronach's.

It started to feel turn based instead of live action. I had to dive in my favorites menu, click on a spell, go back in the game destroy mage 1. Oh, mage 2 has resistance to shock. Go back in the menu, change to fire. Rinse and repeat.

I am spending more time in my favorites menu instead of actually engaging in combat. Compared to a stealth archer this is a lot of managing your inventory and spells, but the UI just ruins that process for me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
wtf my game wont launch, launcher works fine but then the game doesnt appear, its in processes too in TM

I'm considering buying this but it's quite a bit of money. I only played 40 hours on the PS3 version, I didn't beat any of the major questlines nor did I play the DLC.

However the graphics don't seem to be much better from what I've seen in lets plays, and it seems Sony is limiting the mods and the ones there are are just meh?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just finished the college of winterhold quest again and all I have to say is how disappointing it is.

Are we doing spoilers for a 5 year old game? I'll tag to be safe.

You spend almost no time in the actual college learning spells, being a wizard and using spells isn't even required for more than like 3 different portions, the ward lesson, saarthal magic gates (which also return in labyrinthian), the focusing crystal and breaking down ancanos first magic barrier.

Speaking of Ancano, how the hell does that final fight work anyway? I just kinda used the staff on the eye until he eventually died but it took so long

bitoriginal

Any way to prevent these stupid fucking vampire attacks other than not entering a town at night? It's really ruining my enjoyment of the game that I can't just go back to Whiterun without having to worry if half the npcs have been slaughtered. I'm not using mods atm because I want to play vanilla and get trophies.

I was really enjoying myself and now I've hit level 10 it's just become an exercise in frustration. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? I don't even want to do Dawnguard, can I not just turn the dlc off or something?

Just finished the college of winterhold quest again and all I have to say is how disappointing it is.

Are we doing spoilers for a 5 year old game? I'll tag to be safe.

You spend almost no time in the actual college learning spells, being a wizard and using spells isn't even required for more than like 3 different portions, the ward lesson, saarthal magic gates (which also return in labyrinthian), the focusing crystal and breaking down ancanos first magic barrier.

Speaking of Ancano, how the hell does that final fight work anyway? I just kinda used the staff on the eye until he eventually died but it took so long

The College is the weakest out of all the guild questlines in my opinion.

Sad part is, they could have made it feel like a real college, by making those special ritual spells for levels 25/50/75/90, not just 90, and tie the progression of the questline to your advancement as a mage so the quest would progress to the next stage only after you have learned a few of those ritual spells.

Instead you can be a warrior that casts a few basic spells, and is then gifted the position of archmage because noone else can be bothered.

bjork

I'm playing on Xbox One, and I'm noticing that if I don't do a complete power down on the console when I'm done playing, the game has an odd stutter when moving forward and turning. Is there a workaround for this so I can just resume and go? I guess if I have to completely shut down each time, I will, but I'd rather not if possible.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah the college needed to be more of a "something isn't right at this school" mystery than the almost comical BETTER SAVE THE WORLD CHOSEN ONE scenario we got. The way you just kinda fuck off from the school and come back with powerful artifacts or insane discoveries in the most casual way is almost immersion breaking.

Each school of magic should have gotten it's own part of the quest with its own set of lessons but no i guess that would have been too much work. I loved the idea of ancano as a character but it's terribly misused.

Just imagine a series of quests for each school of magic where you attend a class, learn about a spell or two and get sent on a field research that involves using those spells. Then between classes you unravel a mystery about a certain professor dabbling in necromancy and how he plans to turn the town of winterhold into his own undead army to take over the college or something.

It's still super cheesy but it's completely built around the novelty of being at a magic school.

ckohler

I'm getting ready to jump back into Skyrim. I love mage builds but I'd like some advise to keep it fun.

Armor: Mage (magical), Light or Heavy?

This is rough because I don't like real armor because it makes you heavy and managing weight in Skyrim is a pain. Yet, Mage armor (via spells) has to be cast all the time. There is also the perk that makes mage armor stinger if you wear no other armor. How good is that perk? Is it worth giving up real armor?

Enchanting: Last time I played I'd planned on building up an epic set of equipment using enchanting but I found that it took way too long and was a real hassle to build up. Should I even level up enchanting or can I play a powerful mage without ever bothering?

Magic Pool vs Regen: Is it better to have a larger mana pool, or super fast regen, or both at the cost of reduced health?

I'm playing on Xbox One, and I'm noticing that if I don't do a complete power down on the console when I'm done playing, the game has an odd stutter when moving forward and turning. Is there a workaround for this so I can just resume and go? I guess if I have to completely shut down each time, I will, but I'd rather not if possible.

Have you tried to go the Dashboard and select the game with the start button and then select quit?

Hobbun

I just finally started up my game yesterday and have only reached Riverwood. I picked up the Golden Claw quest but only about halfway to 2nd level, so I think I may hold off on that a bit.

Any recommendations what I should do first? Any hints or tips what to do off the bat when based out of Riverwood?

I know there is at least that triangle love quest, but I mean besides that. Quests or just certain places that are good to explore/clear out when very low level.

Nere

Got a 950mb patch on steam and a smaller one for Fallout 4 any clue why both bethesda games needed an update at the same time?

I just finally started up my game yesterday and have only reached Riverwood. I picked up the Golden Claw quest but only about halfway to 2nd level, so I think I may hold off on that a bit.

Any recommendations what I should do first? Any hints or tips what to do off the bat when based out of Riverwood?

I know there is at least that triangle love quest, but I mean besides that. Quests or just certain places that are good to explore/clear out when very low level.

The Golden Claw quest might as well be a tutorial mission so it would be a good place to start. Then I would recommend following the story missions for a little bit as you will unlock the ability to perform shouts. After that you can pretty much explore as most quests you come across should be fine (though I have read it is best to be at least level 35 before starting the Dragonborn DLC). Also you may want to consider getting some sort of house early on, as you will accumulate lots of cool stuff you may not want to sell.

Cartho

You'll need to quit the game from the dashboard and reload it. It seems to happen when the game has been in a rest mode state for certain length of time. It's fine leaving it for an hour or more, but when it gets over 24 hours is when you start getting problems. Not sure what could be causing it, memory leak of some kind?

Top Bottom