• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Lol spent like an hour trying to change my facial appearance last night.

- Hear you can change your facial appearance via a lady in the Ratway in Riften, where I've never been before. Figure I'll make my Orc Conjurer look a little battleworn, big beard and eye-scar. Have to complete the first Thieves Guild mission to gain access to the Ratway.
- Really easy to get lost in the Ratway... Lots of twists and turns.
- Turns out I'm a vampire, and the face-lady don't work with vampires. Google a solution and find a guy in Morthal who can fix what ails me.
- Blood Dragon decides to attack Morthal at exactly the same time. Toughest dragon I've fought so far, not making a scratch even with companion & summoned atronachs.
- Wait ages for dragon to split.
- Go back to Morthal. Despite waiting for different times of day, Falion's house is still inexplicably locked. Lockpicking leads to him and his adopted son telling me to GTFO.
- Finally unlock, realise I don't have a black soul gem, buy one and fill it
- Go all the way back to Falion, get my ass cured
- Go all the way back to Riften.

All for a bit of visual character development...

Novocaine

Bought a PS4 Pro and all I'm doing is playing modded Skyrim on my PC.

I've got a bunch of new games sitting here and all I'm doing is Skyrim too (aside from getting all of the timed event skins in GoW4). Haven't even thought about booting up Dishonored 2 yet and I've been super excited for it.

Bloody Skyrim, it really is that good.

SlickVic

Have a strange issue on PC where certain interiors (like Forts) the frame rate will keep bouncing anywhere from 30-60 causing some weird slowdown effect. So far Forts like Mistwatch and Greenwood are where I've seen this happen the most. Disabled mods like SMIM but didn't really seem to change. Don't have any our lighting overhaul mods that would affect it either. Not sure what's going on, since the framerate is pretty smooth anywhere else.

Angelina

Banned
was doing the quest where you take Serana back to the castle after freeizing upon arrive, i really thought the weather system set the mood here.

30958441015_db35b2df8e_o.png

popped this in and played a bit on pS4pro. That last gen jank. The visuals so far are unimpressive to the nth degree and its last gen-ness betrays it. Just kept thinking they put in resources to make this game when they probably should have made VI. For all the comparisons videos and screenshots ive seen posted - it wasn't til I played it that I thought, "this does not look good". Went past a river and looked at it and was similarly unimpressed.

*never played last gen skyrim

Xilo

popped this in and played a bit on pS4pro. That last gen jank. The visuals so far are unimpressive to the nth degree and its last gen-ness betrays it. Just kept thinking they put in resources to make this game when they probably should have made VI. For all the comparisons videos and screenshots ive seen posted - it wasn't til I played it that I thought, "this does not look good". Went past a river and looked at it and was similarly unimpressed.

If you have never played skyrim on PS3 or Xbox One, that explains why you think it looks like last gen jank. The difference between PS3 and PS4 is tremendous.

playXray

Jeez, I keep thinking how great it looks (on Pro and OG). Sure, the detail isn't there up close, but the IQ is amazing and the whole thing still holds up really well IMHO.

thenexus6

Asking for a friend, he started the game with mods but wanted to get trophies. So he made a new character / save - still no trophies..

Removed all the mods - still no trophies?

What should he do? Completely delete the install / saves and start again?

Humdinger

Why are adopted kids annoying? I've adopted two of them, and they don't seem like much of a bother so far. Do they become increasingly obnoxious or something? Can you kill them, or would that be wrong somehow?

Constant crashes on Xbox One. Never got them before this update. Getting really annoying as I'm trying to become the Thieves Guild Guild Master and fast travelling to holds seems to be the cause.
Do you have mods installed? It's possible something you have installed is conflicting with the update.

SlickVic

Asking for a friend, he started the game with mods but wanted to get trophies. So he made a new character / save - still no trophies..

Removed all the mods - still no trophies?

What should he do? Completely delete the install / saves and start again?

I believe any save that won't get achievements should me marked with an [M] on the front of it on the load menu (at least that's how it works on Fallout). Also the game should give a warning at least the first time you load a modded save that you won't earn an achievement. Is your friend seeing both of those things when he starts up the new save? If there isn't an [M] in front of the save it really shouldn't have an issue getting achievements.

Other thing to double check is if he's sure he completed a quest that triggers a trophy (finishing the entire Unbound quest) and/or double check whether he earned the trophy and the notification didn't pop up.

Why are adopted kids annoying? I've adopted two of them, and they don't seem like much of a bother so far. Do they become increasingly obnoxious or something? Can you kill them, or would that be wrong somehow?

every time i come home from a long day of dragon slaying and need to unload my stock, my adopted daughter runs up to me, stops me in my tracks, and asks if i brought anything for her.

i either tell her to go to sleep or finish her chores and she whines and walks away.

sometimes she gives me something, but it's always a useless flower.

Brannon

Just buy, like, 10 dolls and a few sets of children's clothes and wooden swords and you're set.

...where does she put them...

Humdinger

every time i come home from a long day of dragon slaying and need to unload my stock, my adopted daughter runs up to me, stops me in my tracks, and asks if i brought anything for her.

i either tell her to go to sleep or finish her chores and she whines and walks away.

Aw, you heartless bastard.

Mine asks for money. Figures. She probably wants to buy something dumb with it, like food or something. Come on. Daddy needs some new armor.

Oh, and Skyrim doesn't allow you to kill children. (No, I didn't try. I just remember that from last time.)

Some of the kids in this game are obnoxious. I have the "nicer kids" mod installed, and there are still a couple kids who say bratty things to me. I'm the Dragonborn, you little snot.

shermas

Anyone else on xbox having this problem? I need to get Ariel's bow (or something like that) but there's no portal in the first temple that rises up.

From earlier:
I think my game is glitched... I'm doing the Dawnguard missions and I can't enter the first waypoint, Darkhollow Passage. The temple rises, I talk to the guy, but I can't activate anything. I've loaded old saves and tried a couple times and nothing.

I went into Darkhollow cave when I first started playing and cleared it out... if that messes up this temple part, I'm screwed bc that was HOURS ago. I'd basically have to start over.

Anyone else on xbox having this problem? I need to get Ariel's bow (or something like that) but there's no portal in the first temple that rises up.

From earlier:
I think my game is glitched... I'm doing the Dawnguard missions and I can't enter the first waypoint, Darkhollow Passage. The temple rises, I talk to the guy, but I can't activate anything. I've loaded old saves and tried a couple times and nothing.

I went into Darkhollow cave when I first started playing and cleared it out... if that messes up this temple part, I'm screwed bc that was HOURS ago. I'd basically have to start over.
The portal is there the texture is just missing. Happened to me too

MaddenNFL64

Why didn't Bethesda implement triple buffered Vsync?

Downloaded some mods to give the game another go, but their dang vsync is double buffered, so a 5 fps drop from 60 tanks the framerate to 30. Turning off vsync has its own problems since im getting 150+ frames inside buildings, which means dead bodies and loose objects are flying all over the place (great idea to tie physics to the damn framerate Beth).

Sigh.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey guys, PS4 user here new to the whole mod scene.

I've installed Phenderix' Arcane Archery mod, and I'm wondering where and when the enchanted arrows show up in the vendor's inventory.

I've had it happen once at the Fletcher in Solitude, but didn't have any gold on me at the time. Every single time I've gone back since then the arrows aren't showing up.

Is this a timed thing? Perhaps a level thing? If the latter, why did they show up once?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Man, all I have been playing is this game and backwards compatible mass effect trilogy.

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

It speaks to this year's release calendar really that I'm playing this so intently again. Or probably, just the fact that it's such an excellent game.

I've finished the Mage College questline and now my Orc Conjurer has all the Magicka regenerating at an exorbitant rate.

Soodanim

Why didn't Bethesda implement triple buffered Vsync?

Downloaded some mods to give the game another go, but their dang vsync is double buffered, so a 5 fps drop from 60 tanks the framerate to 30. Turning off vsync has its own problems since im getting 150+ frames inside buildings, which means dead bodies and loose objects are flying all over the place (great idea to tie physics to the damn framerate Beth).

Sigh.
I've never understood the need for devs to tie physics to framerate. Dark Souls is affected by upping to 60, too. Such a pain. Maybe it's the easy way out.

Anyway, RTSS (comes with MSI Afterburner) to limit framerate. Add the game's exe as a custom profile at simply set the limit to 60. RTSS gives consistent frame pacing too, so your game will be nice and smooth.

Borderless fullscreen should stop tearing. Usually does.

Calabi

I've been playing this at 90fps with no problem, I think 100fps is the limit, I havent put the adjustment into the ini either.

Impulsor

SO I started this weekend on my PS4 PRO, chose an ORC, wanna be warrior, both melee and ranged.

Can you guys recommend me a build and tell me which stats/perks to go for?

Hobbun

Well, I played for about 2 ½ hours last night and had no issues at all. I saved often, as that is something I always do, but made more note to do so because of the increased crashing reported with 1.03.

I’ve probably played about 6-7 hours now and it hasn’t crashed at all. Although my roommate has crashed probably 7-8 times now since the installation of 1.03. He told me he usually plays for about an hour, then it will normally crash twice within a very short period of time. At that point he’s shut the game off.

From what I understand, there is supposed to be a patch fix, but haven’t heard anything about it since last week.

DrkSage

You think that's annoying? Mine adopted a damn fox. Loudest most annoying animal ever. I sneaked and killed it hoping she never found out it was me, she still notices and says why did I do that. Reload save, let the annoying pest live.

No mods, first playthrough is going to be vanilla. Only got crashes after the update.
I had a perpetual game freeze during one of the quests, post-update. Every time I approached a particular dwemer ruin the game would freeze. No matter what angle I approached it. No matter how many times I quit and reloaded that save. Didn't matter if I walked there or fast traveled there. I had to reload an earlier save, like 2 hours earlier, to get it to stop. I wonder if that'll fix it for you.

Welfare

I had a perpetual game freeze during one of the quests, post-update. Every time I approached a particular dwemer ruin the game would freeze. No matter what angle I approached it. No matter how many times I quit and reloaded that save. Didn't matter if I walked there or fast traveled there. I had to reload an earlier save, like 2 hours earlier, to get it to stop. I wonder if that'll fix it for you.

I think weather and maybe time of day affects if the game crashes. I came out of a dungeon and the game would crash 5 seconds in the over world but if I went back in, waited, and then went back out the game wouldn't crash.

Same thing happened when fast traveling to Winterhold. As soon I as fast travelled the game crashed, but waiting a few hours allowed me to continue.

Widge

Have a strange issue on PC where certain interiors (like Forts) the frame rate will keep bouncing anywhere from 30-60 causing some weird slowdown effect. So far Forts like Mistwatch and Greenwood are where I've seen this happen the most. Disabled mods like SMIM but didn't really seem to change. Don't have any our lighting overhaul mods that would affect it either. Not sure what's going on, since the framerate is pretty smooth anywhere else.

Kind of lurching like a rubberband, pinging you forward? I was suffering from that and an in-game alt-tab out seemed to get rid of it for me.

Not been hit by that for a while.

Anyone play as a magic user? I always fancy it but I feel like the engine is stacked against me. So many disciplines to funnel points into PLUS you tend to need some sort of melee to back things up as well.

Cornbread78

Hobbun

Ok, so it doesn’t clarify if this is supposed to fix the crashing issues from 1.03. Unless that falls under “General stability and performance improvements.”

I really wish they would have specified this is supposed to fix the crashing from 1.03, considering it was said earlier they were coming out with the patch to address specifically at least that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I guess he/she's referring to the very slight drop in frame rate from time to time. It's not really what I'd call 'issues' personally.
This is hilarious. Do you play on a Pro? It's a stuttering mess... especially when you go up North into the snowy areas.

Top Bottom