• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

heringer

Finished the main quest.

It was great stuff, and I'm not done with the game yet, but man, does it feel hollow or what? It's like the game tells you "yay, you've done it. What did you expect? A fulfilling ending? LOL". Nobody even aknowledge what you done. Bethesda is terrible at this, hehe.

The Dawnguard questline was more interesting to be honest.

Still want to finish the Dragonborn DLC and some more stuff before I'm done with the game. Great game, but it's high time for Bethesda to work on it's writting and storytelling.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well I cannot really detect any performance difference. Seems the same. But that is wholly unscientific.

Ragona

Really hope they boost the frames on the pro abit more - as bow sniper it gets really rough during intense moments. Why cant they just lower the resolution and use checkerboard instead of real 4K? That much more work?

Kaz42

I've got a glitch on ps4 where there's no shout cool down. It's all negative numbers when I look in the shout menu. I didn't use a mod to change this so I assume it's a glitch. How do I fix this?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Any idea if/ when Immersive Weapons or Immersive Armors might make the jump? That was great content.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier, haven't followed the thread until now.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Finished the main quest.

It was great stuff, and I'm not done with the game yet, but man, does it feel hollow or what? It's like the game tells you "yay, you've done it. What did you expect? A fulfilling ending? LOL". Nobody even aknowledge what you done. Bethesda is terrible at this, hehe.

The Dawnguard questline was more interesting to be honest.

Still want to finish the Dragonborn DLC and some more stuff before I'm done with the game. Great game, but it's high time for Bethesda to work on it's writting and storytelling.

Yeah, Oblivion's endgame in the main quest was much better and felt more encompassing. Skyrim was literally just another dragon fight except he's semi-transparent.

I dream that one day the Pro stutter is fixed...

I dream that one day the Mods can be the same as the Xbox One...

I dream that one day a Pro Enhanced Version is available for the Pro that allows ENB/Other Graphical Enhanced Mods become available for this said version...

It. Aint. Happening. :-(

Keep on dreaming!

takriel

I dream that one day the Pro stutter is fixed...

I dream that one day the Mods can be the same as the Xbox One...

I dream that one day a Pro Enhanced Version is available for the Pro that allows ENB/Other Graphical Enhanced Mods become available for this said version...

It. Aint. Happening. :-(

Keep on dreaming!
Your best bet is to buy a PC :)

Your best bet is to buy a PC :)

I know. Was almost ready to pull the trigger @ 2 months ago on @ £1300 build but my Son got cold feet and changed his mind lol! We were going half each, although it was for him really as I don't get 'that' much time to game these days.

Widge

I forgot how much Bethesda put into Skyrim. Fallout 4 feels like 1/5 of this game in comparison.

I like Fallout but I found... well I think the Settlements were a time sink too far. I might get an hour or two on the game here and there and I feel like spenidng all of it buffing out settlements is rather unfulfilling.

There is also the way the game dumps power armour on you from the off. I mean you can choose not to use it but the pro's are so heavy on them that it seems pointless not to.

Got a question for any Ps4 users playing with mods. I started my game just running the vanilla version as I heard the Ps4's offering of mods wasn't great and it also means you can't get trophies, but does playing with the mods available on PS4 enhance the experience enough that the trade off of having no trophies is worth it? Whilst I enjoy getting trophies they aren't too essential for me, however if running with mods adversely affects performance/causes crashes that would be a bit of a deal beaker. I'm not too far into the game (level 8 and just visited the greybeards)

So should I sign up and play with mods?

Also which mods do you think are the best? I'm currently playing as a Nord using two handed weaponry, bows and stealth.

duck_sauce

This is hilarious. Do you play on a Pro? It's a stuttering mess... especially when you go up North into the snowy areas.

Not sure why people have wildly different experiences. Maybe because of the nature of sandbox games. I have to say, that after playing the PS4 Pro Version of Skyrim for around 40 hours, it looks and feels great. I have yet to notice stuttering of any kind (and i have been in a lot of hectic, alpha effect heavy combat situations). I read all about the framerate drops on the pro but i do not notice them. Maybe im lucky or the topic is wildly blown out of proportions, i dunno.....

....all things considered, My experience of Skyrim on the pro is great. Fantastic looking game and so far no framerate drops or stuttering.

THEaaron

Not sure why people have wildly different experiences. Maybe because of the nature of sandbox games.

Well, if you take people into account that allegedly can't see the difference between 30 and 60fps, people on pc claiming that their 200$ budget card is giving them 100fps in any game on ultra....... heck there were even people saying that MAG on PS3 had a wonderful performance above 40fps all the time.

Don't trust folks in forums in regarding performance matters. Luckily, we have DigitalFoundry. :)

MaddenNFL64

I've never understood the need for devs to tie physics to framerate. Dark Souls is affected by upping to 60, too. Such a pain. Maybe it's the easy way out.

Anyway, RTSS (comes with MSI Afterburner) to limit framerate. Add the game's exe as a custom profile at simply set the limit to 60. RTSS gives consistent frame pacing too, so your game will be nice and smooth.

Borderless fullscreen should stop tearing. Usually does.

Hmm, i tried FRTC (AMD crimson drivers) with borderless window but it doesn't work. It only functions with exclusive fullscreen. Problem is, even with frtc set to 61 (frtc isnt perfect, so it kinda bounces 1-2 frames) I get screen tearing. Its not awful but id like to not have it. I have RTSS, but does its frame limiter work in window mode? You are right that window mode gets rid of tearing, but without frtc, my frames are too high in some parts, usually interiors, and shit goes crazy.

Since im on AMD, I cannot use forced vsync btw. Only works on OpenGL games, not direct x.

edit: OH THANK GOD. Yes RTSS Works in window mode. Thank you sir.

Humdinger

Got a question for any Ps4 users playing with mods. I started my game just running the vanilla version as I heard the Ps4's offering of mods wasn't great and it also means you can't get trophies, but does playing with the mods available on PS4 enhance the experience enough that the trade off of having no trophies is worth it? Whilst I enjoy getting trophies they aren't too essential for me, however if running with mods adversely affects performance/causes crashes that would be a bit of a deal beaker. I'm not too far into the game (level 8 and just visited the greybeards)

So should I sign up and play with mods?

Also which mods do you think are the best? I'm currently playing as a Nord using two handed weaponry, bows and stealth.

The PS4 has something like 500 mods available, so there's a lot to choose from. I'd say it's worth the trade-off, although I'm not someone who cares much about trophies. I haven't found any performance problems with the 8 or so mods I'm running. I have stuff like rich merchants, extra carry weight, lamps, lore-based load screens, nicer kids, less aggressive animals ... that sort of thing. Nothing ground-breaking, but they improve the experience for me.

I started this earlier this morning, but only played the first mission then took out one mining cave's foes afterwards before quitting for the day.

It looks pretty good, and it's nice to be playing it again. I'm happy.

Funnily enough, though, when I got to the opening scene and the prisoners were being called to their death by their names, the guy who called out the names kept glitching. He'd teleport from one spot to another, and did so multiple times.

1. Can you join multiple guilds at once? What about all or almost all of them at once?
If so, do they interfere with each other, as in cancelling quests or sidequests out?

2. Everyone in Riften hates me and I don't even know why. They say I'm accused of murder but I don't recall killing anyone there. Either way, how can I get right with them? or can I just go there empty & naked so they don't take my stuff, do my time and be friendly again? I have a bunch of stuff I want to do there but can't.

1. Can you join multiple guilds at once? What about all or almost all of them at once?
If so, do they interfere with each other, as in cancelling quests or sidequests out?

2. Everyone in Riften hates me and I don't even know why. They say I'm accused of murder but I don't recall killing anyone there. Either way, how can I get right with them? or can I just go there empty & naked so they don't take my stuff, do my time and be friendly again? I have a bunch of stuff I want to do there but can't.

1. Yeah, questlines don't interact with each other outside of the main quest and the civil war questlines. You can do them at any time, any order, simultaneously if you want.

2. You might be able to wait awhile and things may go back to normal. Otherwise the guards should give you an option to pay gold for your crimes. They'll confiscate your stolen shit, but you'll be good.

Sotha_Sil

1. Yes, you can do everything at the same time. It's actually one of my big critiques on the game.

2. Not sure.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well this sucks.

It appears that the quest titled Lost to Ages is totally bugged out.

I have read the book Aetherium Wars and I never got any sort of notification.

Went to the first temple and came across Katria and the journal wasn't on her body. Eventhough her ghostly form DID appear and even instructed me to pick up the journal!

Got the first shard piece, followed by the second one, and still not quest activation. I can't get the final piece since it's locked in a temple that can only be unlocked in the College of Winterhold quest.

I've read everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of solution to fix it. Dropping and opening the book doesn't activate it. Going to the temple doesn't work. Even talking to Katria doesn't work as there is no journal for her to pick up.

This is frustrating since a trophy is tied to it.

Tried the New Patch on the Pro.
It runs like shit unfortunaly.
I get lots of fps drops but also sometimes it seems like the engine is borking Down. Everything gets really choppy and i cant really explain. Its not your ordinairy fps drops, but it happens at Random moments.
Im really done with this game now. Will get Back at it when its patched..

RulkezX

Anyone else having a problem with an Xbox One pad on PC ?

Was working last night and works today on every game but Skyrim (including Fallout 4) bit in Skyrim the A button doesn't work in the menus ( X is confirming things) and the buttons are acting strangely in game.

Edit : Strangely have the same issue if I plug in my DS4.

Ashodin

f0fwCvI.png

I have found out there's something underneath the College of Winterhold called the Augur of Dunlain.

It's pretty crazy down here. There's some sort of altar, and I hear the creaking noise of restless bones.

I can only hope my sword can dispatch them quickly, enchanted by my own fiery magics.

Neverfade

I usually play these games as a sneaky rogue type, but this time I'm pretty adamant about being a hulking brute.

The problem is, I'm kinda getting my ass kicked. Anyone with experience sword and boarding a character have any pro tips?

Freeman76

I usually play these games as a sneaky rogue type, but this time I'm pretty adamant about being a hulking brute.

The problem is, I'm kinda getting my ass kicked. Anyone with experience sword and boarding a character have any pro tips?

Summon or use a companion to tank mobs while you kick the shit out of them.

f0fwCvI.png

I have found out there's something underneath the College of Winterhold called the Augur of Dunlain.

It's pretty crazy down here. There's some sort of altar, and I hear the creaking noise of restless bones.

I can only hope my sword can dispatch them quickly, enchanted by my own fiery magics.

Nice

Level you block until you can at least take Deflect Arrows and Quick Reflexes, they are super important.

Cook/brew some stam/health regen items (stews/soups), poisons can be nice as well

Get companions to help soak damage / deal with mages/archers from a far

I also find that the Slow Time shout is very useful in situations that you get overwhelmed

Boss Doggie

btw guys if you run smith and enchanting, eventually you'll not need to worry about what armor you wear as you'll be able to craft gear that have high stats regardless of the material, but because of the cap, it's peaks

are there mods that remove the damage cap?

Well this sucks.

It appears that the quest titled Lost to Ages is totally bugged out.

I have read the book Aetherium Wars and I never got any sort of notification.

Went to the first temple and came across Katria and the journal wasn't on her body. Eventhough her ghostly form DID appear and even instructed me to pick up the journal!

Got the first shard piece, followed by the second one, and still not quest activation. I can't get the final piece since it's locked in a temple that can only be unlocked in the College of Winterhold quest.

I've read everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of solution to fix it. Dropping and opening the book doesn't activate it. Going to the temple doesn't work. Even talking to Katria doesn't work as there is no journal for her to pick up.

This is frustrating since a trophy is tied to it.

I've had two major bugs playing the Dawnguard content. The first one was on 360, and though I don't remember the exact specifics of when or how, I had to reload an earlier save to reset it. On the Xbox One, I ran into a game breaking bug in the main quest line, where an elf wouldn't trigger his conversation with Serena, thus freezing the progression of the quest. After trying everything I could think of to fix or reset it, as far as reloading in the cave, outside the cave, etc, I had to reload a save that was before I even started that particular quest. That fixed it.

I'm going to sadly suggest that your solution might be in reloading a save prior to picking up that book. The trigger didn't happen for whatever reason, and I don't think you'll be able to get it to do so without console commands (assuming you're on PS4 or Xbox).

Shock32

Not sure why people have wildly different experiences. Maybe because of the nature of sandbox games. I have to say, that after playing the PS4 Pro Version of Skyrim for around 40 hours, it looks and feels great. I have yet to notice stuttering of any kind (and i have been in a lot of hectic, alpha effect heavy combat situations). I read all about the framerate drops on the pro but i do not notice them. Maybe im lucky or the topic is wildly blown out of proportions, i dunno.....

....all things considered, My experience of Skyrim on the pro is great. Fantastic looking game and so far no frame-rate drops or stuttering.

I think I have about 25 hours so far and I haven't notice any performance issues. But even if i had a few, it wouldn't matter to me. I'm loving it on the pro, the foliage, vegetation, trees, etc. are so full compared to last gen. I immediately notice better lighting and fog as well, so looks like i'll be spending another 200 or so hours on this game.

Boss Doggie

On a related note, what's a good enchanting/smithing/alchemy/store location? People say Whiterun because the smith is just nearby, but then I don't want to go to dragonsreach to enchant.

Boss Doggie

I think windhelm market has everything but I'm not 100% sure it has a smelter there.

It has.

I take consideration on housing btw, so outside of Whiterun all houses would have alchemy and enchanting within the same "cell" iirc. I think some even have smithing nearby.

Top Bottom