• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Unai

In the old version there was a mod that added an enchanting table to the house in Whiterun. That really helps, IMO. If you are organically upgrading enchanting, it gets old really fast having to go up there all the time.

bosseye

Not sure why, but I have a huge attachment to Riverwood and Whiterun. I just really like them as places. Even though I have various other locations to live at my disposal I always buy Breezehome.

Theres a mod which adds a player house at Riverwood (on PS4) which I might try. Somewhere else for my super skull collection to accumulate.

Coketruck

I'm playing on Xbox with a few mods. Everything's been running smoothly (for a Bethesda game, anyway) up until the past couple of days. Now, the game will crash to the dashboard every 5 - 30 minutes. I didn't install any new mods, so I don't know what would have changed. Anybody else having this issue?

Humdinger

Not sure why, but I have a huge attachment to Riverwood and Whiterun. I just really like them as places. Even though I have various other locations to live at my disposal I always buy Breezehome.

Theres a mod which adds a player house at Riverwood (on PS4) which I might try. Somewhere else for my super skull collection to accumulate.

The Riverwood cabin is beautiful.

I'm partial to Riverwood, myself. The scenery reminds me a lot of places I used to live -- or at least, the favorite parts of them, where I used to do a lot of hiking. Good vibes.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The PS4 treehouse mod (between Riverwood and WR) is great.

Has Bethesda said anything about fixing the framerate problems on the PS4 pro yet? I was thinking about getting a pro, but seeing the stutters is making me hold off since I play a lot of skyrim.

The "chili" textures are unprecedented.

31038135665_9079751089_o.png

*rumble, rumble*

black070

Started the Dawnguard quest line as soon as I hit level 10 to put an end to the random vampire spawns - gotta say, I don't remember it being so lengthy and content-rich, enjoying it a lot.

TCRS

Banned
damn man reading this thread makes me want to play it again. Never finished it the first time around. Probably because I insisted on walking/riding everywhere and never using fast travel.

but I bet I'll again end up playing mainly with a bow and occasionally using sword and primitive destruction magic. I can never imagine myself as a magician here, the quests aren't made for that imo. and the nazi storyline makes playing anything else than a nord a farce.

Ashodin

Were there always so many dragons in this game? Feels like one shows up every second time I fast travel.

How much time is between your play sessions? If it's more than eight hours or so, the game will "spawn" a dragon event to keep you gaining Dragon Souls for you. I remember back when I played Skyrim vanilla that this would be the case.

VeGFeT6.png

Note to self: Traveling at night can be dangerous. Always pack Magelight.

lrgKNse.png

What a rough fight that was. Having to hide between trees and continuously draw upon my Regeneration skills was a chore yet was worth every bit. Another dragon soul is mine.

Replaying this makes me realise how much content I missed during my original play through. I didn't even touch the Theives Guild or Civil War quest lines, plus a bunch of other things like half of the daedric quests, hell I don't think I even visited Morthal.

takriel

Replaying this makes me realise how much content I missed during my original play through. I didn't even touch the Theives Guild or Civil War quest lines, plus a bunch of other things like half of the daedric quests, hell I don't think I even visited Morthal.

For real, this game just oozes content. It's why I don't think anyone is disappointed too much that we'll have to stick with it for another 5 years lol.

Upinsmoke

Just done my own little comparison of the original skyrim compared to the SE. It runs worse, and looks worse compared to the original. Got this weird orange glow to it.

J-Spot

Is there a good way to level up smithing these days? Back when the game released you could grind out iron daggers but I think they patched that. The rate that you level up the crafting skills has always been one of the biggest issues I have with this game. Alchemy is even worse.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there a good way to level up smithing these days? Back when the game released you could grind out iron daggers but I think they patched that. The rate that you level up the crafting skills has always been one of the biggest issues I have with this game. Alchemy is even worse.

The quickest way is to grind use restoration glitch to grind up alchemy and enchantment bonuses.

If you get the bonuses high enough you can easily creat ultra powerful legendary items that will level up smithing and Alchemy VERY fast.

The only downside is that you need to find an Alchemy item to disenchant.

I really need to get back into this. But with the Ezio Collection and Pokémon next week, I've got no time. :'(

Christmas break is gonna be all Skyrim, all the time.

Any word on Serana related glitches in the SE? On the 360 version I was afraid to ever dismiss Serana because I had read that once you did you were unable to ever get her back. Don't know if that's still the case.

How are people finding the performance? I am at about 50 hours and it seems like I see the occasional sharp judder, which I hope isn't the start of my save file getting too bogged down.

Branson

Just done my own little comparison of the original skyrim compared to the SE. It runs worse, and looks worse compared to the original. Got this weird orange glow to it.
Other than the colors I've heard the opposite on the performance side. It's 64bit compared to 32 and the areas where it would tank performance ran much better too.

Lorcain

Were there always so many dragons in this game? Feels like one shows up every second time I fast travel.
I had 2 dragons arrive at the same time last night when I was at Dragon's Bridge. It was a cool fight. Both dragons were landing on rooftops and flying above and around the town. One was a frost breathing dragon, and the other was fire. It was night in game, which made the dragon breath effects look even more menacing.

The fight was total chaos with villagers ducking for cover, and the guards running all over trying to get good firing angles, only to have the other dragon land on the rooftop right next to them and roast them. I made it a point to breath fire back at both dragons while fighting them...because my dovah is stronger than theirs.

Damn, my save isn't loading anymore, the music starts playing but it just keeps loading until I quit to dashboard. Only thing I can think of is that the update (or mod update) killed it, which is weird.

EDIT: None of my saves are loading. Ugh.

EDIT 2: My overworld saves aren't loading, the saves I made in dungeons do. Probably got a corrupted mod somewhere, I'll do some redownloading tomorrow.

IconGrist

Anyone experiencing an issue with arrows completely missing? I was fighting one of those Dwemer Gaurdians last night (not exactly hard to hit) and the arrows were not connecting at all. It's happened to me a few times with various enemies. I had to steal a dagger from one dead bandit just to beat another because the arrows wouldn't hit him at all.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well this sucks.

It appears that the quest titled Lost to Ages is totally bugged out.

I have read the book Aetherium Wars and I never got any sort of notification.

Went to the first temple and came across Katria and the journal wasn't on her body. Eventhough her ghostly form DID appear and even instructed me to pick up the journal!

Got the first shard piece, followed by the second one, and still not quest activation. I can't get the final piece since it's locked in a temple that can only be unlocked in the College of Winterhold quest.

I've read everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of solution to fix it. Dropping and opening the book doesn't activate it. Going to the temple doesn't work. Even talking to Katria doesn't work as there is no journal for her to pick up.

This is frustrating since a trophy is tied to it.

I've had two major bugs playing the Dawnguard content. The first one was on 360, and though I don't remember the exact specifics of when or how, I had to reload an earlier save to reset it. On the Xbox One, I ran into a game breaking bug in the main quest line, where an elf wouldn't trigger his conversation with Serena, thus freezing the progression of the quest. After trying everything I could think of to fix or reset it, as far as reloading in the cave, outside the cave, etc, I had to reload a save that was before I even started that particular quest. That fixed it.

I'm going to sadly suggest that your solution might be in reloading a save prior to picking up that book. The trigger didn't happen for whatever reason, and I don't think you'll be able to get it to do so without console commands (assuming you're on PS4 or Xbox).

Yeah, the quest is totally bugged out. No way of knowing what caused it.

I did reload a much earlier save to see if I could start it that way and thankfully it worked. Once I get every other trophy I will just reload my save and get that one.

I actually finished skyrim for the first time since starting my first playtrough back in 2012.

I actually just started playing through it a week ago and now I have no where to talk about it since I'm playing vanilla lol. Going to make an album of my playthrough of a vanilla modded skyrim.

HF2014

Been wondering. With the Special Edition on PC, can you search and install mods in game, like in a mod menu, or its still like the old skyrim, you have to go to like nexusmods and download them manually?

Volimar

Been wondering. With the Special Edition on PC, can you search and install mods in game, like in a mod menu, or its still like the old skyrim, you have to go to like nexusmods and download them manually?

There is a mod menu available from the title screen. It's curated by Bethesda so don't expect the outlandishly NSFW mods but there are tons. I like Nexus, but it's so convenient to thumb through the in game menu.

Hobbun

I was running around in Fort Greymoor (near Whiterun) last night killing some bandits, and ran into a Bandit Thug. I think he was the leader of the band. At least I hope he was as he kicked the crap out of me and did so repeatedly.

Will have to come back to that a little later. Enemies don’t scale with you, do they? That’s one thing I hated about Oblivion.

HF2014

There is a mod menu available from the title screen. It's curated by Bethesda so don't expect the outlandishly NSFW mods but there are tons. I like Nexus, but it's so convenient to thumb through the in game menu.

Oh, thats a game changer for me. If you can quickly browse and install visual and gameplay mods, im really considering it! Thanks for the info!

Se_7_eN

I actually finished skyrim for the first time since starting my first playtrough back in 2012.

I actually just started playing through it a week ago and now I have no where to talk about it since I'm playing vanilla lol. Going to make an album of my playthrough of a vanilla modded skyrim.

I preordered Skyrim and was beyond hyped for it when it released.... The Special Edition is my first playthrough and I am actually really happy I waited.

With mods this is possibly the most beautiful game I have played, but, like BlankEmpathy said... I have no one to talk to about it, my friends comments were "You really never played Skyrim until now?" and just say "Yea" when I mention the greatness.

To be honest, I don't think people who played Vanilla understand how big of an upgrade this Special Edition is (graphically).

Issue was fixed! Something had gotten corrupted in two of my mod installs, because the game had crashed while updating. Redownloading those mods reopened my saves. Huzzah!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to admit that I am surprised that Bethesda never patched in a cap for weapon, potion, enchantment or armor power.

Using a combination of enchantments and potions, it's hilarious how ridiculously overpowered you can get for even legendary difficulty. Every enemy goes down in one hit. Its great if you want a specific armor look.

My weapon power is over 1000 damage.
Each piece of light armor is approaching 100K

My enchantments make potions/smithing 2000+% more powerful, lockpicking, sneaking and pickpocketing 15000% easier. Not to mention a carrying capacity of over 10K.

For lockpicking I unlock Master locks without even moving the pin, I can sneak so well that I am never even seen when I am right up in front of the enemy. Pickpocketing though appears to be capped at 90%, so I still get caught from time to time.

Despite having all of this godlike power, I am enjoying myself immensely.

Oh and I am doing it without the use of any MODs for my PS4.

Been trying to take some nice shots on the xb1 version but sweet christ the actual photos all come out dark as hell. What kind of lousy post-processing does the console do to screenshots? :/

Top Bottom