• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Kalentan

Ugh...

I'm two halves on trying to decide if I want to use mods on Skyrim on my first playthrough on PS4.

On PC I beat the game and did a lot of the content (minus DLC.)

So it's not like I haven't experienced this content already... But I can't deny that losing the ability to gain trophies does kind of suck. I know trophies matter little to people and in most cases it matters little to me... but I don't know...

jonno394

Just started this in my PC. unfortunately I can't run it at 4k/60 on ultra. I can get 4k/60 on medium fine. My question is, what's the better option:

1080p60 ultra

Or

4k60 medium

Calabi

Just started this in my PC. unfortunately I can't run it at 4k/60 on ultra. I can get 4k/60 on medium fine. My question is, what's the better option:

1080p60 ultra

Or

4k60 medium

Whatever is the native res of your monitor, and I wouldn't turn the settings down for 4K, the TAA does a pretty good job.

takriel

Ugh...

I'm two halves on trying to decide if I want to use mods on Skyrim on my first playthrough on PC.

So it's not like I haven't experienced this content already... But I can't deny that losing the ability to gain trophies does kind of suck. I know trophies matter little to people and in most cases it matters little to me... but I don't know...

There's a mod that enables trophies :)

Enjoy the superior modded Skyrim experience!

Calabi

My TV is 4K res, and what do you mean about not turning down the settings, I need to do that to hit 60fps? :/

I mean the game doesnt look great at max settings so turning them down will make it even worse. But I would always play at native res, but why not play it at 30fps. Even Digital Foundry recommends that at 4K. Not many PC's can maintain 60fps at 4K, and this isnt the sort of game to need 60fps.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Alchemy is sorta slow, but if you can discover some combos that give lots of effects and are worth a fortune it'll start jumping up pretty quick. If I recall correctly, often something with invisibility, slow, something like that, plus some other more normal effects, is worth tons and ups your level a lot.

So it can be a great way to make tens of thousands of septims fairly quickly.

And while I usually don't like shortcuts, this is one area where I do download an ingredients list to work with that - it still takes plenty long to "discover" the components using that method. Randomly mixing things together to discover the components never struck me as riveting gameplay.

I think my problem is that you're forced to make "good" potions rather than discover. Discovering alchemical properties should net you with a huge Alchemy exp.

Santiako

Oh... That's for achievements on PC... I'm on PS4.
Ugh...

I'm two halves on trying to decide if I want to use mods on Skyrim on my first playthrough on PC.

You said PC though :p, There's no mod to enable trophies on ps4.

Dr.Wampe

Strict! Wander the wilderness, hope you don't run into a baddie you can't handle. I'd probably be dead in a day or two.

Yeah..lost my third Char yesterday. Ran into a group of 3 Vampires who roasted me in no time...shit happens i gues ;)

Longest travel was from Windhelm to Falkreath. It was totally worth it. These Graphic mods are a true blessing for the Game. It baffles me that the devs didnt think of those things when upgrading the game...

Mathieran

Banned
So I got this for ps4 last week and it's my first TES game. I love huge RPGs so this is right up my alley. I've been enjoying it a lot so far, I can see why it is so popular. Its age shows a little bit with the human models and load screens to go into buildings/towns etc.

I got a few mods, most of them graphical. The only one that changed gameplay is the ring that increases my carry weight. I hate having to deal with that stuff. I hope more ps4 games get mods, they're really nice to have.

I think I'm gonna end up putting a lot of time into this, I probably should have skipped buying any other games during Black Friday.

Hobbun

Still unclear on how enchanting works.

I’ve been talking with one of my friends, who has also been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, and he now has a 44 in Enchanting. He’s learned enchantments (disenchanted items) since around 5th level (he is now almost 30th).

My question is still how do you increase the percentages learned from Disenchanting?

For example, way back when he first began Enchanting, he disenchanted an item that gave him Restoration spells cost 5% less to cast and Magicka has 10% regeneration. At the time, I believe his Enchanting was in the mid-teens.

But now the skill being 44, the enchantment he has for that has not increased in strength. My issue with this is you cannot relearn this enchantment, so how do you increase the percentage at higher level? I don’t want to have a 100 Enchantment and only have those numbers at 5 and 10 percent.

Is there something I am missing or misunderstanding? How do you increase the power of the percentages (enchantments) you learn?

Santiako

I’ve been talking with one of my friends, who has also been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, and he now has a 44 in Enchanting. He’s learned enchantments (disenchanted items) since around 5th level (he is now almost 30th).

My question is still how do you increase the percentages learned from Disenchanting?

For example, way back when he first began Enchanting, he disenchanted an item that gave him Restoration spells cost 5% less to cast and Magicka has 10% regeneration. At the time, I believe his Enchanting was in the mid-teens.

But now the skill being 44, the enchantment he has for that has not increased in strength. My issue with this is you cannot relearn this enchantment, so how do you increase the percentage at higher level? I don’t want to have a 100 Enchantment and only have those numbers at 5 and 10 percent.

Is there something I am missing or misunderstanding? How do you increase the power of the percentages (enchantments) you learn?

You increase that by getting perks in the enchanting tree, like every other skill.

GhaleonEB

I don't think the raw skill bumps it, rather the increase will come from perks. Using the first perk node you should be able to boost new enchantments by 40% now. Work further down the tree to add another 25% to that base. Quaff an enchanting potion prior to using the enchanter, and you'll boos it further. (There's an exploit loop with alchemy if you want to use it, but I don't think it's needed.)

black070

I messaged in a group chat with friends asking whether to side with the Imperials or the Storm Cloaks.. fast forward a couple doezon messages of reminiscing and they all went ahead and ordered the Special Edition from Amazon.

Hobbun

You increase that by getting perks in the enchanting tree, like every other skill.

I don't think the raw skill bumps it, rather the increase will come from perks. Using the first perk node you should be able to boost new enchantments by 40% now. Work further down the tree to add another 25% to that base. Quaff an enchanting potion prior to using the enchanter, and you'll boos it further. (There's an exploit loop with alchemy if you want to use it, but I don't think it's needed.)

Well, that’s good. But my issue is when you look under “Enchantment” at the Enchanting table, the number/percentage does not change as you increase your skill/take perks. It only stays at what you received when first learning the enchantment.

I would rather they just showed the name of the enchantment when you learn it, than putting any numbers, as well. Like I believe the name of mine from my example is Fortify Restoration & Magicka Regeneration.

It’s just confusing in putting in the extra information, and then not have it visibly change as you improve your skill.

Thanks for your replies.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Well, that’s good. But my issue is when you look under “Enchantment” at the Enchanting table, the number/percentage does not change as you increase your skill/take perks. It only stays at what you received when first learning the enchantment.

I would rather they just showed the name of the enchantment when you learn it, than putting any numbers, as well. Like I believe the name of mine from my example is Fortify Restoration & Magicka Regeneration.

It’s just confusing in putting in the extra information, and then not have it visibly change as you improve your skill.

Thanks for your replies.

Don't forget you're going to need grand souls to get the best results on your enchantments.

Hobbun

Don't forget you're going to need grand souls to get the best results on your enchantments.

Oh yes, I had assumed as such. My issue, as I said, the ‘Enchantment’ info (when at the Enchanting table) doesn’t change when your skill improves/add perks.

But as long as I know that it will get better than the displayed number/percentage, that’s what matters.

Thanks.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Oh yes, I had assumed as such. My issue, as I said, the ‘Enchantment’ info (when at the Enchanting table) doesn’t change when your skill improves/add perks.

But as long as I know that it will get better than the displayed number/percentage, that’s what matters.

Thanks.

Yeah I figured I was stating the obvious. Keep playing with it. As I recall you have to line up the enchantments/gem/item before the display will change to a number that reflects your skill.

When I play tonight I'll try to play with it and post something hopefully more helpful. I'm in the process of leveling enchanting right now.

GhaleonEB

Yeah I figured I was stating the obvious. Keep playing with it. As I recall you have to line up the enchantments/gem/item before the display will change to a number that reflects your skill.

When I play tonight I'll try to play with it and post something hopefully more helpful. I'm in the process of leveling enchanting right now.

I think that is the case - once you select all three options the final enchantment is shown, taking into affect all the perks and bonuses. If you just select the item and enchantment, it won't reflect what you can actually do. I remember being confused when my fire damage was only at 10 points after I leveled it up, but the final proposed enchantment was 15 points once all three elements are selected.

Hobbun

Ok, thanks for the responses.

I guess I just don't understand why Bethesda even bothered to show the numbers when you look under your list of known enchantments, as it only shows the numbers when you first disenchant the item (learn the enchantment). They should have just had the names of the enchantments.

Ugh...

I'm two halves on trying to decide if I want to use mods on Skyrim on my first playthrough on PS4.

the 'no vampire attacks' mod made this a no-brainer for me. screw trophies! :) ...

I messaged in a group chat with friends asking whether to side with the Imperials or the Storm Cloaks.. fast forward a couple doezon messages of reminiscing and they all went ahead and ordered the Special Edition from Amazon.

Ha, cool.

Well, Imperials or Storm Cloaks?

I have been messing around in Blackreach trying to collect 30 Crimson Nirnroot, and I came across a kinda cool glitch.

It has glitched so that there is surface weather inside of Blackreach. Basically it is snowing, and there is a whiter colour grading instead of the weird blue which you are meant to see. Also the sounds are all different.

Edit: weirdly changed back to normal whilst I was walking around.

Soodanim

Ha, cool.

Well, Imperials or Storm Cloaks?
I played over 500 hours before SE was released, and I'm still playing it again. It wasn't until SE that I touched the Civil War at all. Even now I've only done the Stormcloak line. I find the Civil War to be a role play killer, or at least it was for one character. I did the Civil War then didn't want to finish the rest of the game.

I also think the mod that fixes that whole thing (not sure it's in SE yet) is probably essential for enjoyment there, as it's quite empty as is. The big set pieces are somewhat lacking.

Just when I thought I was out, I was pulled right back in." Holy fuck, I am hooked on this again. Why is this damn game so addictive?

For me it's the combination of the music and feeling of traversing the world (at least in first person).

Compare it to another huge world like the Witcher 3 and I don't enjoy the "feel" of it.

GhaleonEB

For me it's the combination of the music and feeling of traversing the world (at least in first person).

Compare it to another huge world like the Witcher 3 and I don't enjoy the "feel" of it.

Same. It's a world I love being in, even if I'm not doing anything in particular. I spent the past three days on a hike from Riften to Markarth, with a few pit stops along the way. Most of the time I was just hiking. It was delightful. I've spent a very long time just finding spots like this, and looking around.

CyaKXntVIAA6EUl.jpg

Or finding oddities like this, and smiling at how detailed and lived-in the world is.

CyaYUxOUoAASQzE.jpg

My life is hyper-stressful right now, and going to Skyrim is as complete an escape as I've ever found in gaming.

Same. It's a world I love being in, even if I'm not doing anything in particular. I spent the past three days on a hike from Riften to Markarth, with a few pit stops along the way. Most of the time I was just hiking. It was delightful. I've spent a very long time just finding spots like this, and looking around.

CyaKXntVIAA6EUl.jpg

Or finding oddities like this, and smiling at how detailed and lived-in the world is.

CyaYUxOUoAASQzE.jpg

My life is hyper-stressful right now, and going to Skyrim is as complete an escape as I've ever found in gaming.

very cool. thanks for sharing. =)

When I'm super stressed I find modding Skyrim and simply wandering very cathartic.

So, looking to download some mods to make my Xbox One version run better and to just enhance my overall experience. Here's what I have thus far:

Deadpool Mod - I like this a lot but it really overpowers you in the beginning. I had to crank the difficulty up and I am still mowing through enemies. I will probably take the equipment off soon.

Forgotten City - I am honestly surprised how great this blends into the main game.

I have heard Vivid Weathers is a must. Also, the Unoffocial SE Skyrim patch but any others? A girl on YouTube made a video that showcased all her aesthetic mods and the game looks damn good as a result. I want to download them but I have a bit of some trouble understanding her accent for some of them. Could someone with experience or knowledge of these mods list them, perhaps? Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/dN2Ck9VZntg

Also, are there any glaring omissions in her video?

Thank you.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So I bought the PS4 version during the Amazon sale and I will probably play a few hours today. I played the game on PS3 alot and I'm looking forward towards playing this again with the performance improvements but I have to ask did they fix some bugs?

Some of the quest bugs were annoying on PS3 but not too hard to steer away from them.So I'm actually more concerned if they fix the perk bugs because I do remember some of them were either not working properly or not caluculating their bonuses properly such as Deflect Arrows acting weird and Shield Charge would stop working eventually.

Rellik

So I bought the PS4 version during the Amazon sale and I will probably play a few hours today. I played the game on PS3 alot and I'm looking forward towards playing this again with the performance improvements but I have to ask did they fix some bugs?

Some of the quest bugs were annoying on PS3 but not too hard to steer away from them.So I'm actually more concerned if they fix the perk bugs because I do remember some of them were either not working properly or not caluculating their bonuses properly such as Deflect Arrows acting weird and Shield Charge would stop working eventually.

A lot of the old bugs are still in there, but that's what mods are for.

Haven't looked since launch, does anyone know if there have been any AI mods released for Xbox? Not adjusted damage or anything like that, specifically AI behavior and tactics.

rockx4

825 Hours in OG skyrim, 400 hours on 360, and just finished 185 hours on PC Skyrim SE. Finished all the main quests, and guild quests, and a lot of side stuff before noticing I had a bunch of corrupt saves that froze\crashed at multiple areas. Setting that aside now till more mods come out... in the meantime got this during black friday.

nFjxAih.png

I'm starting up the console versions unmodded.... 15 hours into PS4 version... and still having tons of fun.

What's wrong with me :(

Top Bottom