• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Too late! Already bought it. But $24.99 is a steal, specially to someone that has never played any of the DLC yet.

I'm just hoping it plays better than PS3 version did!

dude, after having suffered through the PS3 version for i think over 100 hours, the PS4 version runs like a dream.

RPGCrazied

dude, after having suffered through the PS3 version for i think over 100 hours, the PS4 version runs like a dream.

I watched the digital foundry on it. Seems smooth, but said it wasn't a big file. Does it stay 30fps after 70hours?

And yeah, PS3 version was rough.

Hawk269

Can someone with the PS4 or Xbox One version test something for me? This will not work if you have a PRO. One of the issues when I rented both games was that there was some slight blur in distance objects on both the Xbox One and PS4 version. I was reading the PC performance thread and someone was complaining that at 1080p the PC version also had this slight blur on distant objects. Another user said to turn down the DOF setting, which both console versions have this setting as well.

Can someone test this and turn down the DOF setting to see if distant objects appear clearer? I took back the 2 rented copies so I cannot test this myself. The Pro version does not suffer this due to the 4k resolution and distant objects look crisp and clear, but just curious about this DOF setting for the regular PS4/Xbox One.

Thanks

Moa

I've been playing the shit out of The Witcher 3 and I'm loving it. Would Skyrim be something good to fill that void once I'm finished up with that game?

What are the advantages of this new Skyrim edition over the old one if I was to get it on PC?

I watched the digital foundry on it. Seems smooth, but said it wasn't a big file. Does it stay 30fps after 70hours?

And yeah, PS3 version was rough.

i'm at about 170 hours right now on the PS4 Pro, half was on PS4 and the rest on the Pro, and from what i can tell it's still running very smooth.
the 1.03 patch caused random crashes in the game, but the 1.04 patch fixed it.

Can someone with the PS4 or Xbox One version test something for me? This will not work if you have a PRO. One of the issues when I rented both games was that there was some slight blur in distance objects on both the Xbox One and PS4 version. I was reading the PC performance thread and someone was complaining that at 1080p the PC version also had this slight blur on distant objects. Another user said to turn down the DOF setting, which both console versions have this setting as well.

Can someone test this and turn down the DOF setting to see if distant objects appear clearer? I took back the 2 rented copies so I cannot test this myself. The Pro version does not suffer this due to the 4k resolution and distant objects look crisp and clear, but just curious about this DOF setting for the regular PS4/Xbox One.

Thanks
i tested this back when i was playing on the PS4, and yes turning down the DOF slider all the way eliminates this issue.

ReaperXL7

It may have been discussed already but this is driving me crazy because I know this bug existed on the base version when it launched and it seems like Bethesda didn't bother to fix it unless I'm missing something.

This is a Thieves Guild quest line bug in which after finishing the first major quest called "loud and clear" when you infiltrate the bee farm after turning in the quest on completion The next quest "Dampened Spirits" does not activate and I have no option to speak to Maven Black-Briar. Has anyone else come across this? I've done everything I can think of to try and fix it including reloading saves prior to even joining the thieves guild and I can't seem to fix this.(on PS4 Pro).

Coxy100

Banned
hi guys found a glitch online regarding Dawnstar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBLPfQJb9-M

Infinite gold.

If anyone has done this glitch before - do you know if you have to wait for the caravan to arrive before you can take the goods the first time?

Or can i just go and take the goods straight away....then come back later and they will be back again once the caravan is back...

Possibly a bad question here but I know mods prevent you from unlocking achievements but do they prevent you from accessing any particular missions / DLC or anything else worth noting?

I am thinking of just playing this with mods (Xbox One) and disregarding the achievements. Part of me wants the achievements but the other part doesn't care. What should I do, guys?

Hystzen

I am thinking of just playing this with mods (Xbox One) and disregarding the achievements. Part of me wants the achievements but the other part doesn't care. What should I do, guys?

I'm not a trophy hunter so mods all way to me doesn't bother me it being 0% on my PSN list

Dr.Wampe

i am currently playing the game under some restrictions:

i choose the alternate start mod with a random beginning,
no fast travel,
no map using,
if my char dies, i have to start a new character,
hunger & thirst,

This is a huge gamechanger for me. I dont even take quests, just wandering around in the wilderness. Feels awesome for me.

Humdinger

no fast travel,
no map using,
hunger & thirst,

This is a huge gamechanger for me. I dont even take quests, just wandering around in the wilderness. Feels awesome for me.

Strict! Wander the wilderness, hope you don't run into a baddie you can't handle. I'd probably be dead in a day or two.

Hobbun

no fast travel,
no map using,
hunger & thirst,

Damn, that’s some stringent restrictions.

No fast travel, ever, isn’t something I could do. Not when you are having to go back and forth from the west side of the map to Fort Dawnguard, and vice-versa, multiple times.

I have little time to play as is, but always hiking it out would take too much time. I agree it’s good to explore as it’s a large part of playing Skyrim, but walking everywhere would be deflating.

“Crap, I have to run all the way back to Fort Dawnguard again?” *sigh*

Nevermind the fact of playing Hardcore mode (you can never die). I couldn’t imagine playing the game for 150 hours and then dying. Or even half of that, for that matter. There is just no way I could start over.

No fast travel, ever, isn’t something I could do. Not when you are having to go back and forth from the west side of the map to Fort Dawnguard, and vice-versa, multiple times.

I have little time to play as is, but always hiking it out would take too much time. I agree it’s good to explore as it’s a large part of playing Skyrim, but walking everywhere would be deflating.

Yeah, it would be really cool if the game was built around not fast-traveling, like if quests tended to follow a coherent geographic arc. But it's just not. Dawnguard as mentioned ping-pongs you all around the map without much rhyme or reason, and there are others. I just did a quest for a jarl that was "A bear is menacing our citizens, kill it" and the map marker for the bear shows up two holds away on the other end of the map. Um what?

ckohler

no fast travel,
no map using,
hunger & thirst,

Here are my restrictions. Not quite as stringent.

No fast travel
No murder
No stealing (lock-picking doesn't count as stealing)
No weapons (pure mage)

It's really not that bad as long as you use Carriages. It also helps level your character because it forces you on the road more and fighting random stuff like bears or dragons.

Rellik

Forget achievements. I couldn't imagine playing this game without mods. They will improve this game big time.

GhaleonEB

Damn, that’s some stringent restrictions.

“Crap, I have to run all the way back to Fort Dawnguard again?” *sigh*

Nevermind the fact of playing Hardcore mode (you can never die). I couldn’t imagine playing the game for 150 hours and then dying. Or even half of that, for that matter. There is just no way I could start over.
The only fast travel I use is the wagons at the major cities, which falls into my "use in-game tools not teleportation" clause. Between those and a horse, it usually doesn't take more than a couple minutes to get from place to place.

I do recall lots of trekking back and forth during Dawnguard, though.

Story time! Last night I was roaming around up north, where a lot of enemies still 1-2 shot me, and ran into an ancient vampire (nope) being attacked by some bandits....when a blood dragon entered the fray (NOPE). I almost managed to keep the fight balanced when the vampire caught onto the direction the flaming arrows were coming from and took a detour from trashing the dragon. I didn't do well against his lightning, but it's those kind of encounters that I love running into.

leng jai

Yeah as soon as I started doing Dawnguard I just started fast travelling everywhere. Teleporting to each boring dungeon is basically the worst way to play Skyrim. Just a poorly designed quest line all around.

Se_7_eN

Yeah as soon as I started doing Dawnguard I just started fast travelling everywhere. Teleporting to each boring dungeon is basically the worst way to play Skyrim. Just a poorly designed quest line all around.

Based on your posts... What do you ENJOY about the game?

Just no fast travel /no waiting for me.

I find I'm enjoying the game waaaay more than my previous two saves on the 360 ( got to 30 or 40 hours both times). Think the restrictions have helped a lot with immersion (along with improved performance obviously).

I find the lighting a bit odd, not bad necessarily. Outdoors often seems a bit whitewashed and indoors is very bright compared to what I remember before. I've only used a torch once and that's because I couldn't find (and still haven't) the sapphire claw.

GhaleonEB

A few of the build/rules I followed back when this was on 360:

No fast travel, ever, but use of wagons and horseback is okay. Waiting is fine, because I don't have that much time to play. All my characters tend to be kind to neutral creatures - no giant or mammoth killing, never a hunter of deer, foxes etc. (Leather came from sabertooths and wolves.) Generally I'll seldom instigate violence when there's an option otherwise, but for one of my characters who was basically a cutthroat. Played on Adept from the beginning, moving up to Master around level 30 as I pulled ahead of the difficulty curve (I'm bumping to Master tonight on my current thief, as archery is starting to one-shot too many enemies now that's it's gotten awesome). I'm a loner, never using companions unless forced to by a quest.

Puppet Master: Stealth/archery/illusion build. Enchantments were for more archery damage, elemental damage, and improved stealth.Typical encounter: Use Frenzy to send a camp into warfare, while sniping from the shadows or from a distance. Use Calm on any enemy that finds me. Then slit their throats as they walk away. Mop up stragglers from afar. Used only bows and daggers. Ran the Dark Brotherhood, Thieve's Guild and lots of odds and ends.

Sword'n Board Nord: One-handed, blocking, light armor, no magic whatsoever, but extensive use of shouts and crafting. Enchantments were for elemental damage (FIRE) and stamina/health regeneration. Typical encounter: barrel into a camp and use Unrelenting Force to knock down a group of enemies, and engage the closest standing foe with (poisoned) sword and shield. Finish them, then sprint into someone just getting up and knock them over with the shield, mop up his buddies while he gets up (again). Ran the main quest, Companions and gathered the Dragon Priest masks.

The Lonely Orc: Two-handed weapons and dual wielding, heavy armor and a huge emphasis on crafting. In addition to my normal rules, he survived by his own hand: only ever used weapons, armor or potions he'd crafted himself, once out of the opening dungeon. Very aggressive tank build, barrel into areas and pound everyone to dust. Loot funded his craft work and homestead. TBH I didn't get too far with this guy, two-handed combat got boring really fast.

I'm currently running a pure stealth character, archery, daggers (with shield when needed), no magic, no shouts. She'll do the Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Dragonborn story lines.

I'm planning another Sword'n Board Nord next, but with elements of my Lonely Orc - pure survivalist, entirely reliant on crafting vs. loot. First "quest" will be to obtain and build my homestead, then go through the main quest, companions, dragon priest masks, and Dawnguard.

Kalentan

Oh... Uh... Hi there?

31208831081_e407b76154_o.png

I don't think the horse is supposed to be there!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Had a pretty hard crash while playing today. I was just getting chased around by some giants, and stepped into a tiny pond, and suddenly my display went black. I could hear running water or something through my speakers, but could not do anything, including alt+tab or ctl+alt+del. I ultimately had to hard reset my PC. Anyone seen a crash like that?

Humdinger

How do I get rid of a horse? I had a quest where I ended up owning one, and now he appears everywhere I go. I don't want him to follow me around like that. It seems like excess baggage. I don't use horses. How can I rid myself of him?

Kalentan

Thank god the game has a Quicksave option on PS4. Seriously. More console games need quick save and playing Dishonored 2 on PS4 has spoiled me even further. Being able to open the menu and quickly quick saving and quick loading has served me oh so well.

Humdinger

Yeah, quicksaves are nice. I just have to remember there is only one quicksave, so I'm overwriting it each time. I have to stop and "really" save every once in a while, or else I'm worried I'll get into a position where I've quicksaved myself into a corner.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hey bros. Never finished Skyrim the first time out and never played the DLC, so I've been playing this at every opportunity and loving it.

Thing is, I know jack shit about builds and am starting to run into a wall playing a two-handed, heavy-armor wearing Orc warrior. mostly, finding enough healing potions (and carrying them) seems impossible, and when I face magic, I tend to have a tough time. Is there a set of armor or a twohanded weapon that would make a big difference?

Currently level 17 with full dwarven armor, dwarven great sword. Been studying restoration magic a little to help with the healing.

Bildi

Hey bros. Never finished Skyrim the first time out and never played the DLC, so I've been playing this at every opportunity and loving it.

Thing is, I know jack shit about builds and am starting to run into a wall playing a two-handed, heavy-armor wearing Orc warrior. mostly, finding enough healing potions (and carrying them) seems impossible, and when I face magic, I tend to have a tough time. Is there a set of armor or a twohanded weapon that would make a big difference?

Currently level 17 with full dwarven armor, dwarven great sword. Been studying restoration magic a little to help with the healing.

Have you got your smithing, enchanting and alchemy skills up a bit? That's the main way to improve yourself significantly but undeniably involves some grinding. You can make a potion to improve your enchanting, drink it and enchant some clothes that improve alchemy, wear them to make better enchanting potion, then drink that to make a good set of clothes to help with alchemy and smithing, then make final smithing and enchanting potions, smith some decent stuff, enchant it and away you go.

Even if those skills are each at 50 or 60 you can probably make some decent stuff. Bouncing back and forth between enchanting and alchemy has diminishing returns, so bouncing back and forth more than a couple of times is not much benefit if I remember correctly.

Destroy stuff to get your enchanting up a bit, enchant some crappy items with the filled soul gems you've collected/stolen making them valuable getting your skill up more, sell them. Collect ingredients everywhere and download an ingredients list online if you want to bypass the extreme grind of trial and error ingredients discovery.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Have you got your smithing, enchanting and alchemy skills up a bit? That's the main way to improve yourself significantly but undeniably involves some grinding. You can make a potion to improve your enchanting, drink it and enchant some clothes that improve alchemy, wear them to make better enchanting potion, then drink that to make a good set of clothes to help with alchemy and smithing, then make final smithing and enchanting potions, smith some decent stuff, enchant it and away you go.

Even if those skills are each at 50 or 60 you can probably make some decent stuff. Bouncing back and forth between enchanting and alchemy has diminishing returns, so bouncing back and forth more than a couple of times is not much benefit if I remember correctly.

Destroy stuff to get your enchanting up a bit, enchant some crappy items with the filled soul gems you've collected/stolen making them valuable getting your skill up more, sell them. Collect ingredients everywhere and download an ingredients list online if you want to bypass the extreme grind of trial and error ingredients discovery.
Man, great advice. Thank you!!

Humdinger

I'd also suggest getting something for distance. I'm a two-handed, heavy armor wearing dude, too, but I also use a lot of bow and arrow. You need something to cut those mages down from a distance. Trying to run up and bash each one of them is not going to work out, especially if you've got half a dozen of them spread out in a field.

I like bow and arrow, but it does take a while before it gets good. I used Destruction magic in my last go-around, but it wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. I like bow and arrow better for distance, especially when you get it up past 70 or so. There are other magic options, too, but I didn't mess with them (e.g., conjuration).

To piggyback on what Bildi said ... Some basic leveling tips: Get Smithing up first, so you can craft Daedric armor. An easy way to level up Smithing is to craft a bunch of simple stuff like daggers or hide bracers. Buy some training, too. Then get Enchanting up. You can do that by enchanting lots of iron daggers and swords with petty/lesser/common soul gems. You should pay for some training there, too. (There is also a mod for faster leveling, if you don't mind sacrificing achievements/trophies.)

It's a bit of a grind, but it really pays off. Once you get Enchanting up to 100, you can have 2 enchantments each. Use the appropriate potions to improve the armor and weapons at the table (Blacksmith poition, I think it's called), and the appropriate potion to boost enchantment (Enchantment Philter or whatever). If you have two enchantments on Daedric armor and weapons, you'll be seriously overpowered for almost all encounters.

I didn't bother to level Alchemy. I didn't have the patience, and smithing + enchanting was more than enough. I find it boring to collect all those ingredients, brew potions, and slowly level up. So I just skipped that. I was able to find most of the necessary potions in the field anyhow.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Avoid using magic unless you have mods, since magic damage is garbage in this game.

And yeah, alchemy is surprisingly slow to level up that I'm surprised no mods fixes that.

Had my first crash today and it was right after I killed a blood dragon but before I saved.

I'm level 17,is there any way to check how long I've been playing for? (PS4)

Bildi

Avoid using magic unless you have mods, since magic damage is garbage in this game.

And yeah, alchemy is surprisingly slow to level up that I'm surprised no mods fixes that.

Alchemy is sorta slow, but if you can discover some combos that give lots of effects and are worth a fortune it'll start jumping up pretty quick. If I recall correctly, often something with invisibility, slow, something like that, plus some other more normal effects, is worth tons and ups your level a lot.

So it can be a great way to make tens of thousands of septims fairly quickly.

And while I usually don't like shortcuts, this is one area where I do download an ingredients list to work with that - it still takes plenty long to "discover" the components using that method. Randomly mixing things together to discover the components never struck me as riveting gameplay.

Top Bottom