• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Found out I missed out on an 'Evil Within Lock-In' at my local gamestore on Sunday, really hope a demo comes out.

Oh yes... give us the demo! Please....What else do you want from me Bethesda gods? Haven't I done everything I posssible can to get people excited for TEW? What else do you want from me? Can I ever please you? :D

angry-dance.gif

That's a real good friend.

I'm married to Dusk's sister and he still hasn't gifted me a copy.

Haha

yeah I have some damn good friends. He was bugging me to tell him what to get me for my birthday on Steam, I said there's a ton of Capcom games on sale on my wishlist, get whatever is cheapest, and instead he decided to just buy what was #1 on it, i.e. The Evil Within.

Best part is, he didn't even know what it was and I then got to bombard him with videos and now he and two more of my friends are on board the hype train as well

Haha

yeah I have some damn good friends. He was bugging me to tell him what to get me for my birthday on Steam, I said there's a ton of Capcom games on sale on my wishlist, get whatever is cheapest, and instead he decided to just buy what was #1 on it, i.e. The Evil Within.

Best part is, he didn't even know what it was and I then got to bombard him with videos and now he and two more of my friends are on board the hype train as well

Very awesome of your friend but even better, cause now you got two more on the hype train.

AOhgmFQZU41rO.gif

canx'd my GS preorder, and opted for the PS4 digital route for 53.99 (42 cause I had some credit still on there from something-love when that happens)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I literally replayed Silent Hill 1-4 and Honecoming on a 5-day marathon o my stream right before PAX. Love the series, will be playing Shattered Memories and Downpour when I get back too for October Horror Month.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I literally replayed Silent Hill 1-4 and Honecoming on a 5-day marathon o my stream right before PAX. Love the series, will be playing Shattered Memories and Downpour when I get back too for October Horror Month.

Yeah I had to duck out early because I had only beaten 1 at that point in time! I did complete 2 and 3 since then though.

Dusk Golem

Yeah I had to duck out early because I had only beaten 1 at that point in time! I did complete 2 and 3 since then though.
Happy you finally did! How'd you like them? Enjoyed your company in SH1 though, and was a very successful stream series for me, we had 100-170 concurrent viewers the whole marathon. Was humbled.

xezuru

I don't think Shattered Memories is scary at all imo, just due to how the mechanics in that game works, but I do really like what's happening in that game and some of the interesting things it does.

Dusk Golem

I don't think Shattered Memories is scary at all imo, just due to how the mechanics in that game works, but I do really like what's happening in that game and some of the interesting things it does.
I'm a sucker for exploring game worlds with details, so so really enjoyed Shattered Memories, though agree'd it's not scary. I'm also very good at the labyrinth sections because I picked up on the visual clues for the exit and have a good sense a direction.

While I love the series, most SH games didn't scare me. I did love them as the anosphere, select moments did scare me. SH4 actually scared me the most.

Nibel

Any good, good, gooooood Steam deals for European Sebastians? Getting Bayonetta 1 + 2 and probably Smash next month, and really, really want to get this as well :< I already own the DLC on Steam

NEO0MJ

Any good, good, gooooood Steam deals for European Sebastians? Getting Bayonetta 1 + 2 and probably Smash next month, and really, really want to get this as well :< I already own the DLC on Steam

Doesn't GMG have a 25% off offer? If you use the spacial code, that is.

Hey, can we get ahead and agree not to label folks who may not care for the game or have negative criticisms of it when the time comes? We're all pretty excited, but I think all of us know that it's likely going to be as divisive as most games in the genre tend to be.

This of course isn't being brought up because of some other game and community behavior.

Hey, can we get ahead and agree not to label folks who may not care for the game or have negative criticisms of it when the time comes? We're all pretty excited, but I think all of us know that it's likely going to be as divisive as most games in the genre tend to be.

This of course isn't being brought up because of some other game and community behavior.

I'm completely fine with that. I know for a fact some people will dispise this game. With aniamtions or graphics/controls taking the lead for complaints, and that's ok. I plan to fine comb this game and really spill my thoughts out on everything once it releases and I've had some ample time to dig in.

Dusk Golem

I'll be fine and support this. I may debate a specific point I experience differently, but appreciate opinions that differ from my own. I have some unique opinions myself, I have no right to judge or shrug others off, and actually do enjoy reading others reasoning.

fear is subjective. I thought it was one of the scarier games for the feeling of powerlessness, and because on the first play through I didn't know when the dark world was scripted to descend. But, yes, I understand how that dichotomy made it less scary for some.

Amnesia does nothing for me because I am not scared of being hunted in the dark by monsters that just knock you out and drag you to a nearby room before *leaving* the game. But for people that are scared of being hunted in the dark, I totally get why it scares the hell out of them.

The Evil Within looks to be building on a lot of different fears and paranoias, which should make for a game that has *something* to scare everyone, even as I fully expect people to only find one or two chapters scary, I expect there to be a lot of variety in the chapters people find scary.

fear is subjective. I thought it was one of the scarier games for the feeling of powerlessness, and because on the first play through I didn't know when the dark world was scripted to descend. But, yes, I understand how that dichotomy made it less scary for some.

Amnesia does nothing for me because I am not scared of being hunted in the dark by monsters that just knock you out and drag you to a nearby room before *leaving* the game. But for people that are scared of being hunted in the dark, I totally get why it scares the hell out of them.

The Evil Within looks to be building on a lot of different fears and paranoias, which should make for a game that has *something* to scare everyone, even as I fully expect people to only find one or two chapters scary, I expect there to be a lot of variety in the chapters people find scary

The biggest issue with attempting this is that you can get the whole "Jack of all trades, master of none" feeling going on. Yet the preview that was in the latest Game Informer seems to think to think they have done an excellent job at the pacing, and set up for the different chapters up to chapter 5, so that bodes well. When Shinji stated that they replayed and messed wit the balance multiple times to get things right, I have no doubts.

The biggest issue with attempting this is that you can get the whole "Jack of all trades, master of none" feeling going on. Yet the preview that was in the latest Game Informer seems to think to think they have done an excellent job at the pacing, and set up for the different chapters up to chapter 5, so that bodes well. When Shinji stated that they replayed and messed wit the balance multiple times to get things right, I have no doubts.

Well, I don't know yet, but it looks like they do different things at different times in the game. Shinji has done amazing stuff with variety in his games before, so I don't doubt he can pull it off.

Again i'm sure we'll all be debating what was the scariest part... but I'm sure we'll all think that parts were scary. Be it the Outlast looking stuff. Or the REmake looking stuff. Or the RE4 looking stuff. Or the J-horror looking stuff. Or the Saw looking stuff. Or the Insidious/Conjuring looking stuff. Or the Silent Hill looking stuff.

You get me?

-MD-

Depends what those negative criticisms are. If I just straight up disagree with something I'll discuss it at the time.

Well, I don't know yet, but it looks like they do different things at different times in the game. Shinji has done amazing stuff with variety in his games before, so I don't doubt he can pull it off.

Again i'm sure we'll all be debating what was the scariest part... but I'm sure we'll all think that parts were scary. Be it the Outlast looking stuff. Or the REmake looking stuff. Or the RE4 looking stuff. Or the J-horror looking stuff. Or the Saw looking stuff. Or the Insidious/Conjuring looking stuff. Or the Silent Hill looking stuff.

You get me?

Yep I totally get ya! It will appeal to a broader range of horror fan and for different moments throughout the campaign. If they pulled it off right, it could be the ultimate horror experience in many ways.

xezuru

Anyone else not really a fan of horror but playing this anyway for dat Mikami quality? I need to be reminded what the best TPS action feels like.

I'm one of the camps who thinks Mikami has never made a flop, sure some of his games are really rough, but they all have a super distinct vision which gets achieved, even when some of his lower statuses games have a less beneficial atmosphere during development.

I'm reading the GameInformer digital edition (the UK version just updated - hooray), and I'm liking the way they handle some loot chests:

Hidden chests, which hold item riches, can also be deadly. Opening a box, which is done manually with the analog stick, could reveal a bomb strapped to the roof. If you open the box too much, you are a goner.

EDIT:

Reading the article just shows how much variety will be in this game. Every chapter sounds completely different.

Oh nice.. I'm watching a 6 minute video preview in GameInformer with some new footage of the game along with the author of the article explaining his time with the game. I'm guessing they will upload this to the site at some point this week.

Small snippets of the new footage which is the mental asylum area (reminds me of the Hospital in Silent Hill 2) is mixed with very early footage of the game. There's a new snippet of the game's intro and they've definitely overhauled the lighting since they showed it off at the Eurogamer Expo.

Oh nice.. I'm watching a 6 minute video preview in GameInformer with some new footage of the game along with the author of the article explaining his time with the game. I'm guessing they will upload this to the site at some point this week.

Small snippets of the new footage which is the mental asylum area (reminds me of the Hospital in Silent Hill 2) is mixed with very early footage of the game. There's a new snippet of the game's intro and they've definitely overhauled the lighting since they showed it off at the Eurogamer Expo.

You got a link ? :)

Mupod

I think playing on the lower difficulties will provide a lot of ammo and make this a true action game.

cue people saying this game gives you too much ammo and is therefore not survival horror, after playing it on easy.

I wish I was joking but it happens all the damn time. TLOU was especially dramatic in the differences between difficulties.

AsfaeksBR

I need some horror/survival game right now until this comes out, is Revelations a good game and a good PC port?

The port is ok, but I think the game is mediocre.
I'm sure it's awesome on the handheld, but on PC it's not so good. There are better games out there.

Top Bottom