• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

I'm guessing you're not serious but, just in case. Please don't do this, you'll lose horizontal information.

I'll tinker with the screen size in my PS4 settings along with the zoom function to see if I can get something playable. I just really don't want black bars on the screen for 15+ hours.

I'll tinker with the screen size in my PS4 settings along with the zoom function to see if I can get something playable. I just really don't want black bars on the screen for 15+ hours.

You'll suffer those black bars because MIkami wants you to.

Don't destroy the artistic vision. Destroy your Tv before you do that.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This looks so good, but... is the framerate still as bad as earlier videos?

Gameplay wise from what I've seen it's hitting all the right notes for me.

You'll suffer those black bars because MIkami wants you to.

Don't destroy the artistic vision. Destroy your Tv before you do that.

Shiiit, I don't need black bars to join the Dark Souls 2 Estus Flask icon and Destiny full super meter in the "kinda sorta hardly burned in but not really" camp D:

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
xtortionist pls

It seems like from videos the camera is pretty damn close to Sebastion in this game, I would think that would just be amplified hard by zooming in and make shit feel nauseating on top of cutting off side information.

xtortionist pls

It seems like from videos the camera is pretty damn close to Sebastion in this game, I would think that would just be amplified hard by zooming in and make shit feel nauseating on top of cutting off side information.

Xtortionist probably zooms all his content to 16:9

Xtortionist probably bought "fullscreen" DVDs

Point and laugh with me, Papercuts.

ASIS

Black bars are kind of like unintrusive HUDs for me. it takes literally less than 5 minutes before I stop noticing them. I don't think it will be a problem for me at all.

-MD-

Black bars are kind of like unintrusive HUDs for me. it takes literally less than 5 minutes before I stop noticing them. I don't think it will be a problem for me at all.

Yeah I don't get it, I won't even notice they're there.

AsfaeksBR

I'm with you.
And I think it's a way to say "look, this game is cinematic" withou putting tons of QTE, scripted sequences and all of that.

I find it quite pleasing, actually

Whoever is playing is awful lol, it's like he's never played a video game before with how he controls the camera.

Ruvik spawned right on Sebastian as he opened the door and he warped back a few feet, what a nice guy.

Haha, tell me about it. When Ruvic appeared behind the door he just stood there and I was thinking to myself 'ummm....run?' XD

-MD-

Haha, tell me about it. When Ruvic appeared behind the door he just stood there and I was thinking to myself 'ummm....run?' XD

Even when he warps backwards a bit to give the player a chance to move he still stood there.

The entire time he was up on the balcony I was cringing cause his camera was facing the bookshelf, eesh. Guy was also playing it like it was Gears of War or something just sprinting through doors and into enemies.

Even when he warps backwards a bit to give the player a chance to move he still stood there.

The entire time he was up on the balcony I was cringing cause his camera was facing the bookshelf, eesh. Guy was also playing it like it was Gears of War or something just sprinting through doors and into enemies.

Sounds like the same guy. You should have seen him play The Order.

Oh, you

But srsly, haven't watched a single film on my plasma (not really a movie guy) so no need to zoom except for PS1 Classics and Virtual Console.

Evil Within may change all that.

Grief.exe

Whoever is playing is awful lol, it's like he's never played a video game before with how he controls the camera.

Ruvik spawned right on Sebastian as he opened the door and he warped back a few feet, what a nice guy.

Journalists are typically terrible at video games.

why are there blackbars? what purpose do they serve? dont they just obstruct the environment? if we disable them do we see more like going from fullscreen to widescreen?

AsfaeksBR

So IGN just uploaded 8 minutes of footage from TGS.

I guess it's nice to see an updated version of the demo....

I just hope he isn't the guy who'll review the game.
Or else, we'll see a lot of "This game is hard, the camera doesn't work, ammo doesn't exist, the game doesn't have a good atmosphere blablabla".

And what is the song playing in the beginning of the video, that's coming from the background? That is lovely!

Airgetlam

I just hope he isn't the guy who'll review the game.
Or else, we'll see a lot of "This game is hard, the camera doesn't work, ammo doesn't exist, the game doesn't have a good atmosphere blablabla".

And what is the song playing in the beginning of the video, that's coming from the background? That is lovely!
I think that's from the Final Fantasy XV trailer.

ASIS

why are there blackbars? what purpose do they serve? dont they just obstruct the environment? if we disable them do we see more like going from fullscreen to widescreen?

Well, I think it serves two purposes:

1. It gives a more "cinematic feel", like AsfaeksBR mentioned.

2. It probably gives better performance to the actual game. Less screen size = more concentrated graphics on the middle screen. I think that's why the framerate is much better now. But hey if there is an option to disable them then you can throw this option in the gutter :p

Also, the demo looks awesome. But offscreen + Orchestrated music + lousy player made for a very bad IGN video unfortunately.

25 days to go!

DOTcPP4.jpg

Shauni

Tech-dumb and somewhat off topic question, but is it bad that I just set my HDTV to 16:9? I was always told this was the best.

But, on topic, the black bars are weird, but they don't bother me much.

Bl@de

Why is everybody mad about the bars? Are they hardcoded again? Like in RE4 :D Where the game had a 4:3 Resolution/Format with painted blacks for dat cinematic feel :D That shit was so bad, it's classic.

I always thought, that Evil WIthin just went for Cinemascope Resolutions (1920x800, ...) because of the FOV etc. Just like movies.

But then again ... I never cared. On PC you can always mod games the way you like it and Resolutions can be changed. Not like puny console peasants^^

Sanctuary

But srsly, haven't watched a single film on my plasma (not really a movie guy) so no need to zoom except for PS1 Classics and Virtual Console.

You say you don't watch movies on it, but do you watch anything from cable? Because if you are only using it stritctly for gaming, it sounds like you wasted some money as opposed to buying a decent LCD/LED when you factor in the downsides of a plasma. Plasmas are good for gaming, but where they truly excel is watching movies.

I also don't really get the bar complaint. Then again, maybe I'm just used to watching movies that have them as well as the time spent playing Dragon's Dogma; where I didn't even notice the bars after a half an hour.

I never ended up with the good RE4 cover, this is what I have:

re4_gsse_gc_ntsc_02.jpg

The cover for TEW reminds me of a late 70s or early 80s horror film poster.
edit: nvm, that's not even the actual cover, it's a custom.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Tech-dumb and somewhat off topic question, but is it bad that I just set my HDTV to 16:9? I was always told this was the best.

But, on topic, the black bars are weird, but they don't bother me much.

16:9 is how it's supposed to be, although if you have a "full pixel" picture mode (name varies by TV brand), that is the one you want. It eliminates overscan and image scaling by mapping the 1080p picture exactly to your 1080p screen.

If you can see black bars on movies that are in a wider format than 16:9, you haven't fucked up too bad.

Shauni

16:9 is how it's supposed to be, although if you have a "full pixel" picture mode (name varies by TV brand), that is the one you want. It eliminates overscan and image scaling by mapping the 1080p picture exactly to your 1080p screen.

If you can see black bars on movies that are in a wider format than 16:9, you haven't fucked up too bad.

Well, I know there's not a full pixel mode on the screen sizes button, but I'm assuming this is something different? I'll fuck around with my options to see if I can find this. What should the screen size be set to?

Top Bottom