• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

lt519

Damn, guessing can't watch it on demand until after the episode finishes. Just got back to the hotel.

mm, still not up, guess they are counting the two hours as one episode since I was able to watch last weeks an hour after it aired.

Xe4

Banned
I wonder if this will be up on Amazon same day. I really want to watch it. Probably for the best though, cause I got a bunch of work to do.

Zoe

The feed over here stuttered during that scene of the other ship leaving the station. What did the scientist say?

Ledhead

The feed over here stuttered during that scene of the other ship leaving the station. What did the scientist say?

I didn't catch it either.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the finale. We got some questions answered, and things are set up nicely for next season.

That scene you're missing:

[They're watching monitor feeds of the station and people dying]
Solider: The station is sealed. Quarantine has been activated. Top bay indicates uplinks are good.
Creepy scientist guy: Send it all to Thoth.
Solider: Transmitting now.
[Encoded transmission is sent and the Rocinante picks it up]

Zoe

That scene you're missing:

[They're watching monitor feeds of the station and people dying]
Solider: The station is sealed. Quarantine has been activated. Top bay indicates uplinks are good.
Creepy scientist guy: Send it all to Thoth.
Solider: Transmitting now.
[Encoded transmission is sent and the Rocinante picks it up]

Awesome, thanks!

Awesome couple of episodes. My only problem with it is it felt kind of like a mid-season finale and it makes me want season 2 like right now.

RS4-

Goddamn, that was great. Loved every part of it, and the whole season in general was quality.

The wait for s2 is gonna be brutal.

DieH@rd

Banned
FUCKAMAZING finale. It was not as mass scale as in book [where it approached 28 Days Later type of mayhem], but still, it was very impressive.

Awesome couple of episodes. My only problem with it is it felt kind of like a mid-season finale and it makes me want season 2 like right now.

Well, S1 covered only 2/3 of the 1st book. :)

Ledhead

One thing I didn't understand. Why did Julie see a vision of Miller and the bird entering her room at the flophouse? Also, what is up with that bird? I feel like we have seen it a few times. Is it symbolic for something?

That was great. Loved the interaction between Holden and Miller and Amos was great too.
It's kinda refreshing seeing one of these book turned into a show shows without having read the book first... but I really want to know what happens next so I'm going to read them soon.

lt519

Ahh can't watch until Friday now since the eps didn't go up on demand immediately. Glad everyone liked it!

One thing I didn't understand. Why did Julie see a vision of Miller and the bird entering her room at the flophouse? Also, what is up with that bird? I feel like we have seen it a few times. Is it symbolic for something?

Both that scene and the bird are a show-only addition.

I can tell you it makes sense for a certain perspective IMO but no more, since it means BIG spoilers from the books.

wildfire

Banned
I'm really surprised this show isn't getting any more buzz. Even Defiance season 1 had more discussion than this.

This show always manages to surprise me in new ways subverting my expectations.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So was the season good?

I have yet to watch the last couple of episodes, but it's easily the best thing since BSG.

And this rascal

MTvIexZ.gif

is the show's secret hero

Moff

yeah it did feel a bit like a mid season finale, but that's what happens if you don't adapt the whole first book.
I still think they did a great job, really, so many great changes and additions. budget was spot on, eros didn't look cheap at all. even julie who looked weird at the end of episode 8 looked very good in the finale.

all in all I am very happy with this season, I always felt like the books were made for TV so I am not surprised it translated really well, and it was so much better than the trailers made it look like. can't wait for next season and I really hope it will be continued after that.

lt519

I'm really surprised this show isn't getting any more buzz. Even Defiance season 1 had more discussion than this.

The critic reviews have been fantastic though. I imagine a years worth of word of mouth and VOD services will pull in a lot of people. With VOD services now, good shows get their due. I think a lot of people were waiting for the bottom to fall out, but now that the first season is done and we'll reviewed they'll be more willing to jump in and/or recommend to friends. I'm optimistic about it!

obin_gam

So how far are we in the books now at the end of this season? Half-way through first?
I have read the first book but have forgotten so much about it.

Kyougar

He reminds me of a more good looking / in shape version of Aaron Douglas Lol

Like I said previously, the first time I saw him, I thought he was the Chief from BSG. I always have in mind when I see Amos.

he was my favourite BSG Charackter.

220px-GalenTyrol.jpg

So how far are we in the books now at the end of this season? Half-way through first?
I have read the first book but have forgotten so much about it.

3/5th? And we are getting to the Action after Action sequence of the books.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wonder if SyFy is betting on international sales for their newest programming. They are certainly making a lot of noise over here with The Magicians and The 100.

Paganmoon

Hmm, most disappointing thing about the finale was coming here and seeing only 1 page of discussion on it, if even that.

Book comparison:
Think it was a good choice to scale down on the vomit zombies, let that build up a bit more for the TV audience, so it doesn't feel like it's coming from left field

Quick thoughts on the characters/actors
Amos the sociopath, man, Wes is really owning that character.
Alex, myeah, has it's ups and downs. A bit stiff in the acting department maybe, and not as cowboyish as his book counterpart.
Holden, alright, hasn't really stood out much.
Naomi, same as Alex, lots of ups and downs. Feels like she hasn't really found the character yet.
Avasarala, kick ass! Shohreh is killing it Nothing like the book character honestly, but still kick ass.

Zoe

So... is it too early to ask what's changed from the books? I guess it would be safer to wait till season 2...

My only complaint of the season is the Earth perspective has been a huge snorefest. I've never been a fan of the actress though, so I'm sure it's clouding my judgement a bit.

Xe4

Banned
Just finished episodes 9&10. Damn good, but 8 is probably the best in the season.

This is the best science fiction show since BSG, and I really hope they get to run it more than two seasons.

Beleive in the power of Netflix.
But seriously, the number of Netflix/Hulu/whatever views this show gets betwRen S1 & S2 will probably be the make or break of this show.

Ledhead

So, about the organism/glowing...thing. Julie's dad, or maybe his chief assistant spoke of it 'learning', almost implying that they sought to use it on a larger population to see how it would evolve. The organism seems almost sentient by the end of the finale, given how it interacts with Adam Jensen before consuming him. We see it consuming people in more than one scene. Is it possible that the in the process of consuming people, it absorbs something from them, like their consciousness?

I haven't read the books so this is just my theory based on the show. What are other people's thoughts? (Pref non-book opinions, I would like to avoid spoilers haha)

DieH@rd

Banned
So, about the organism/glowing...thing. Julie's dad, or maybe his chief assistant spoke of it 'learning', almost implying that they sought to use it on a larger population to see how it would evolve. The organism seems almost sentient by the end of the finale, given how it interacts with Adam Jensen before consuming him. We see it consuming people in more than one scene. Is it possible that the in the process of consuming people, it absorbs something from them, like their consciousness?

I haven't read the books so this is just my theory based on the show. What are other people's thoughts? (Pref non-book opinions, I would like to avoid spoilers haha)

Answer to the bolded part -
Protomolecule wants any kind of biomass so that it can grow its "final form" that can do very many incredible things, but it does not require minds of people. Just biomass. Absorbed people scream, but that's just protomolecule messing them up / changing / absorbing.

BUT, it will preserve few minds for the sake of easier communication. Just wait and watch. :D

suzu

Ahhhhh. That was great! And now we have to wait until next year. :(

They should keep the opening theme in every episode. It's so nice.

Amos is the best.

Eros, we out.

So... is it too early to ask what's changed from the books? I guess it would be safer to wait till season 2...

My only complaint of the season is the Earth perspective has been a huge snorefest. I've never been a fan of the actress though, so I'm sure it's clouding my judgement a bit.

There's a been a bunch of changes, but nothing really that changes the overall plot.

They toned down some things. Eros situation was way more horror show in the book, but I'm fine with the changes to the protomolecule.
I am guessing they don't want viewers to think it's a show about zombies in space or something.

My main gripe with Avasarala is that she isn't exactly like the book version (yet?). She's way more blunt and abrasive in a likable way. Earth takes a backseat in the first book, but I get why they would want to introduce her earlier. They've changed some other characters a bit too. It's been a long time since I read Leviathan Wakes, but Holden feels less like a stupid boy scout and Miller is not as weird as he is in the book. I like Miller on the show more actually. lol

The critic reviews have been fantastic though. I imagine a years worth of word of mouth and VOD services will pull in a lot of people. With VOD services now, good shows get their due. I think a lot of people were waiting for the bottom to fall out, but now that the first season is done and we'll reviewed they'll be more willing to jump in and/or recommend to friends. I'm optimistic about it!
It received mediocre reviews initially, which is how a lot of impressions are formed and decisions to watch or not watch. The landscape is SO crowded right now with content, that people don't sample as much as they used to. There are a few positive pieces now that the show finished up the season, but they're outliers. We'll have to see if word of mouth helps draw more people in. I think the early DVD release will help, and hopefully they'll also get it up on a streaming platform ASAP.
I wonder if SyFy is betting on international sales for their newest programming. They are certainly making a lot of noise over here with The Magicians and The 100.
I'm sure they are. It's a decent piece of the pie these days for a lot of shows.

Sidebar: You get The 100 on SyFy internationally these days?

Aiii

So not worth it
Reviews aren't as important comoared to a good push on Netflix. If they festure it on there, this show will add a decent amount of viewers. Like the book, a real page turner, this show will fare better on a bingeviewing anyays, I believe.

Moff

the most important thing to promote this show are gifs
gifs of space/ships and stations
they look amazing and it's what people have a need for

the most important thing to promote this show are gifs
gifs of space/ships and stations
they look amazing and it's what people have a need for
We need Funky Papa to finish watching so he can hook us up with the good stuff. All I have is low-grade junk. :p

SJ6XGxL.gif

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just watched the finale and I had one question concerning Julie's dad:

(Book 1 Spoilers)
So I've I've said before it's been a while since I read LW but IIRC wasn't Julie's dad just some rich dude and not in anyway connected to the protomolecule? I remember it all being the shady work of that one corporate dude I can't remember who explained everything before Miller blew his head off. Thus, is the show combining that character with Julie's dad?

All in all I thought it was a good first season and while I never liked LW I feel the show is like 5x better, nearly every change made from the books has been for the better.

I will agree with this part of the AV Review

A.V. Club said:
I’m not sure whether to criticize or laud The Expanse for its insistence on audience patience. Sometimes the slow and steady approach leads to a greater investment in the characters, and a better feel for what they’re going through. (I’m thinking of Holden’s struggles with killing—it’s not a new idea, but the almost physical discomfort he had with Miller’s casual brutality was a lot more affecting playing out over multiple scenes.) On the other hand, it creates a certain lethargy that’s hard to shake off. I’m not sure the show has ever gotten boring in this first season, but apart from the occasional moment of beauty or effective acting, it’s rarely been particularly vital.

But, that's not really the show's fault they are just translating the book and also are forced to chop it into two seasons.

Jackpot

Banned

My feeling also. Felt like a mid-season climax with no real resolution. On the other hand they couldn't have rushed the plot any faster so my complaint is not enough episodes for one season.

I hope spy-guy comes back.

lt519

It received mediocre reviews initially, which is how a lot of impressions are formed and decisions to watch or not watch.

Yeah, doesn't help that a lot of reviews stuck on metacritic were formed on 1 to 4 episodes of viewing. I was thinking the more recent reviews have been very positive towards the show; I give it a search after each episode. But you're right, the time for critic reviews are mostly over after the first couple weeks. Unless we start seeing some glowing full season reviews on popular sites popping up it may rely on some VOD service pushes and word of mouth. The 4 episodes releasing at once had some of my friends hooked, but they lost the show after the long break. I think they'll pick it back up though when they can binge it all at once again.

Need to avoid the GIFs, haven't watched the finale yet!

Top Bottom