• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

Paganmoon

PDC's use "conventional" ammo, but the main weapons of the ships are indeed Railguns (other than the rockets they shoot at eachother).

Edit: Then again, now that I think about it, there is recoil when firing the main weapon of the Roci in the books. Maybe they haven't found the button for it yet in the show.

obin_gam

Are there other series that treats the concept of spaceships like this series does?
I mean it feels like I have never seen a media take the concept of vertically based designs - as the SpaceX and NASA Apollo shuttles have. Everything seen before have just treated space ships as boats basically. I really like this decision :)

Selner

Anyone else feel like they didn't really think through the inclusion of Adam Jensen? His eye/brain tech is kinda crazy for this universe and I'm pretty sure the books have nothing close to that. Plus, if this tech exists, why are there no other cyborgs running around? Loving the show and this episode was probably my favorite yet, but that detail feels really off to me.

I think part of it is most of what we've seen so far is just the Belt.
In the first episode we see the guy on the Cant lose his arm, and say that his insurance will cover a new-grown arm using Earth/UN Tech. He says "no! give me a Belt-built metal arm!" or something like that.

So the Belters are not quite as advanced as Earth and Mars.

I also sort of figured the spy's ocular thing was basically Google Contact. Contact lenses with all the functionality of something like Google Glass. Not an artificial eye.

The other books have some pretty interesting technology. Hopefully we get to see more :) .

I wasn't caught off guard by Kenzo's implants. Especially after they talked about the data jockey having a data drive implanted in him.

Kenzo's are high level considering his line of work.

DieH@rd

Banned
^ What he said. Just a recap of the battle and hard proof that a "new stealth force" is causing trouble in the belt.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
He already got briefing from entire Roscinante crew before they got off his station.

Poorly worded on my part. I wanted to say that so far there's nothing that makes me believe that he wasn't aware of the existence of those ships before the incident. He seemed more curious than surprised.

Moff

I think the chip is just some kind of proof of what happened, and Johnson may or may not use it later on

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Absolutely. The shows science and technology is shown through the way it works, not diolauge. It's actually very subtle about it, like the high spin of Ceres being show by its effect on fluids.

It's also very realistic. No FTL travel, no rediculous weapons, or anything like that. The first episode shows the effect that the acceleration of changing course has. Give it a watch, it's an amazing show!

Convinced me. I'll watch it when exams are over.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is full on space opera... but they do not ignore how gravity and [light] time delay work so many people call it "hard sf". :D

lt519

Can't believe it's season finale time already! Going to have to watch it later after the broadcast tomorrow due to travel. Have fun watching everyone!

The double episode season finale is tonight:
Critical Mass; Leviathon Wakes

Julie's origin story reveals her trajectory; Holden and Miller team up to investigate a strange emergency happening on Eros.

Ledhead

I'm getting the pre-finale shakes. For a lot shows adapted from books, I usually watch them after having read the original material. It's kind of nice not knowing what is going to happen for a change

RoH

PDC's use "conventional" ammo, but the main weapons of the ships are indeed Railguns (other than the rockets they shoot at eachother).

Edit: Then again, now that I think about it, there is recoil when firing the main weapon of the Roci in the books. Maybe they haven't found the button for it yet in the show.

Was the rail gun not an add-on they basically welded to the hull after making bank on some mission?

Before that is was PDCs and Rockets, I think....

On set hijinks:

VJ0vnnn.jpg

Selner

The double episode season finale is tonight:

Woo hoo! So very hyped.

Episode description spoiler:
Very excited to see Julie's backstory. That should be very interesting for show people and book people

Very curious what the last scene will be.

I won't be able to watch until tomorrow, which is a small bummer, but oh well.

And that interview on Tech Times was a nice read too. I like how they brought up the diversity of the cast. The show must have one of the more diverse casts on TV.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Woo hoo! So very hyped.

Episode description spoiler:
Very excited to see Julie's backstory. That should be very interesting for show people and book people

Very curious what the last scene will be.

I won't be able to watch until tomorrow, which is a small bummer, but oh well.

And that interview on Tech Times was a nice read too. I like how they brought up the diversity of the cast. The show must have one of the more diverse casts on TV.
And it's not forced nor on the nose, unlike many other scifi shows (cough, Firefly, cough)

Paganmoon

I really liked the diversity in the book as well. Funny thing is, was watching the first 4 episodes with a friend that I got hooked on the books a few years ago, and he goes "Man, Fred isn't at all like I imagined him" I go "huh, he looks the part completely" To which my friend replies "I didn't imagine him black, and so big".
He said the same about Alex and Naomi though, so the diversity in the books seems to have gone past some :)

Anyway, back to diversity, and the books, I like how there are quite a few mixed race, for instance Julie, Naomi etc, they're all mixed, which is something I think so many futuristic/sci-fi books and shows miss. That's the future of our world, with the amount of people moving about, we're going to have a lot more mixed backgrounds.

obin_gam

I wish the show had a title theme/intro. The galaxy thing with just the text isn't nearly as good as a proper theme.

Hire Bear for S2 so he can 1up his BSG intro

obin_gam

I think that's the solar system coalescing from primordial dust, not the galaxy.

Ah okay, that would make more sense :p Point still stands though, with a show called The Expanse, the opening should be more... expansive. Something awe-inspiring, something to show humanity's reach in the solar system.

Paganmoon

I had him as European in my head from the books. Don't care either way, I love the actor from his Cutty days.

Which is what's really funny, cause the very first description of Fred is when he sends Holden and co the message about coming to Tycho:

A dark-skinned man with heavy facial bones of an Earther appeared on the screen.

They might have skipped the intro to save time? (more commercials!) Or if they noticed people skipped it anyway on the streams.

Moff

I wish the show had a title theme/intro. The galaxy thing with just the text isn't nearly as good as a proper theme.

Hire Bear for S2 so he can 1up his BSG intro

I just remember always closing my eyes on the second part of that intro

and yeah, the full expanse intro was actually pretty good. I usually enjoy short title screens in tv shows, but the expanse intro was pretty nice for once

Paganmoon

Completely forgot about that. And it is beautiful, and exactly what I wanted :p What the hell SyFy?! Is it because commercials they remove something like this? Stupid imo.

Just imagine this is playing before every episode:

Wanderers

Youtube link incase the Vimeo video doesn't work (but the youtube one is badly compressed in darker scenes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3c1QZzRK4

Always thought it fit in with the world of Expanse (though it does go a bit to futuristic with some things it depicts)

I just remember always closing my eyes on the second part of that intro

Haha, yeah, what the hell was up with that? annoyed me to no ends. I also had to close my eyes in the second part.

Crispy75

Just imagine this is playing before every episode:

Wanderers

Grit in my eye every time :cool:
EDIT: More like a bucketful of sand.

I don't know if there's anything in Wanderers that wouldn't be possible in the Expanse universe. Settlement on the large outer planet moons maybe (although that might already be happening and we just haven't seen it in the show yet)

Paganmoon

Grit in my eye every time :cool:

I don't know if there's anything in Wanderers that wouldn't be possible in the Expanse universe. Settlement on the large outer planet moons maybe (although that might already be happening and we just haven't seen it in the show yet)

The ending with the jumping off of the cliff and the women looking at Saturn always give me goosebumps, and get me teary eyed, I love it :)

I don't think the Habitat ring would be possible, it's just too big, maybe not the wingsuits on whatever moon it's supposed to be, everything else, sure, I can see that in the Expanse universe. Spoilering this just in case
iirc, there are settlements on some moons, at least on Ganymede according to the expanse wiki

- TVJunkies with a few teasers for tonight's episode (some spoilers)

Also, SyFy's website has some sort of very short prequel to The Expanse called "The Drive". Not sure if this is previously published material or what.
The Expanse, premiering in December 2015 on Syfy, is based on The New York Times best selling book series by James S.A. Corey. Set two hundred years in the future, where man has colonized the outer asteroid belt, The Expanse follows the case of a missing girl that brings together a hardened detective and a rogue ship captain in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history. "Drive" highlights a key moment in The Expanse universe whose ramifications set the foundation for the show.

Ledhead

I'll probably go dark now until the finale. Enjoy everyone! I will return to discuss it all with you once it's aired :)

suzu

Yep, I love all the diversity in the series. The characters are close enough to how I imagined them, if I exclude Miller's edgy hair and most of the belters not being super tall and lanky. lol. Oh and I kinda miss that the show Martians don't all speak with a Texas drawl. Ah well, it would've been goofy.

Can't wait for the season finale~

lt519

That one's cool and explains the discovery of the Epstein drive which gets them to high G.

They have a few other novellas too with some background for the key carachters for like $2.99 or $1.99 on Amazon. I know the show has already been incorporating some like the story of Anderson Bay.

So many good articles and press Cornballer. Wish I had time to check it out but gotta go to business dinner and will probably just go straight to the finale when I get back.

Also I totally missed and/or forgot Fred's race in Leviathan Wakes and didn't (re)realize it until the show came out. I always pictured Amos a bit bigger. I tend to be face blind when reading for some reason, its just not entirely important to me what someone looks like unless it ties into the story somehow. It's like I read and imagine things happening from a top down perspective.

Top Bottom