• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just watched the finale and I had one question concerning Julie's dad:

(Book 1 Spoilers)
So I've I've said before it's been a while since I read LW but IIRC wasn't Julie's dad just some rich dude and not in anyway connected to the protomolecule? I remember it all being the shady work of that one corporate dude I can't remember who explained everything before Miller blew his head off. Thus, is the show combining that character with Julie's dad?
He is in prison in the books as the company he runs turned out to be heavily involved in the proto-molocule hybrid soldiers development.

suzu

Just watched the finale and I had one question concerning Julie's dad:

(Book 1 Spoilers)
So I've I've said before it's been a while since I read LW but IIRC wasn't Julie's dad just some rich dude and not in anyway connected to the protomolecule? I remember it all being the shady work of that one corporate dude I can't remember who explained everything before Miller blew his head off. Thus, is the show combining that character with Julie's dad?

Seems they combined Protogen and Mao-Kwikowski. For the purposes of the show, it's not really a bad idea. Mao-Kwik were suppliers for Protogen in the book. The Protogen guy you're thinking of is on the show too. Dresden the scientist dude who was poking around Julie.

Oh well, at least we're getting a new book in the spring.

August.

Moff

Seems they combined Protogen and Mao-Kwikowski. For the purposes of the show, it's not really a bad idea. Mao-Kwik were suppliers for Protogen in the book. The Protogen guy you're thinking of is on the show too. Dresden the scientist dude who was poking around Julie.

Leviathan Wakes
definitely looks like it, I didn't even remember that jules was in prison in the books.
either way, good change

Moff

Still working on Nemesis Games here, probably my favorite so far.

I was really surprised how good Nemesis Games was, because both Abaddons Gate and Cibola Burn were rather mediocre in my opinion, I thought the series was done, but Nemesis Games took a step back and the series really needed that

I didn't like Avasarla's character at all in the books but I am loving her portrayal here in the series. That little moment you can see in her eyes when the UN guy basically lies to her face, and her instant switch over to "clueless politician who wants to look like she has power" was amazing.

It sucks having to wait a year for season 2 :(

Ledhead

I think I will buy the bluray of season 1. I want to support the show as best I can. This is one of the few series where I would consider doing so. I know it's future is still uncertain, and I want to do what I can to keep it going

the most important thing to promote this show are gifs
gifs of space/ships and stations
they look amazing and it's what people have a need for

just gif a segment with all the minor thrusters adjusting the ship's movement. That should get people's attention.

Curious to see them ending an episode on the ambient sound again, since they use it for 'remember the cant' as well.
Also the recap at the start of episode nine felt a little overdoing it, but I guess they wanted to make sure everyone watching was up to speed. I do hope they're not going to do 'head people' going forward. It was good for a joke with Amos, but it's not a good thing in general.
They definitely spend more effort on getting these two episodes 'right' though, in terms of making them.

What a finale. Thought Miller was cold blooded but man Amos takes the cake, love his character
KuGsj.gif

That finale was awesome, I liked all the storylines. Will definitely pick up the blu-ray to support the show further as we wait for season 2. Hopefully it continues to do well enough to go as long as it needs to.

Good Holden/Miller payoff interaction too.

Speaking of Alex, his bit at the end after Naomi tells him to deal with it was great since he did exactly what I thought he would, and spoke to the ship while doing it hehe. Love the ship.

That little moment you can see in her eyes when the UN guy basically lies to her face, and her instant switch over to "clueless politician who wants to look like she has power" was amazing.

Oh man, that moment was fantastic, quite improved my understanding on her character.

What a finale. Thought Miller was cold blooded but man Amos takes the cake, love his character
KuGsj.gif

As Ledhead said, I did not seeing that coming. I was thinking there was a good chance he takes him down, but damn. Don't end up on his bad side against who he wants to follow. Miller's in for a rough moment when he comes to again.

Also, Amos just totally killed me when he said "you guys look like shit" right after Miller was seeing Julie:

The timing of this could not have been more perfect. It's still making me smile :D

Just finished it what a great final! Glued to my seat the whole way, I'm loving this show. I hope we get more Joe and Jim loved them two together and Amos grew on me, I thought he was an ass but I love his no nonsense approach

Watched the finale. What a brilliant first season. I'd be impressed by this show on any network, but it's especially impressive for SyFy. So glad we have a second season coming. I'll have to get cracking on Leviathan Wakes in the meantime!

Selner

There's more info if you watch with subtitles.

Book 1 and 2 spoilers:
The subtitles call a guy "Protogen Merc" so I think Protogen is still around. They are just making Jules' involvement more obvious from the beginning. In order to beef up the UN story line they are borrowing material from book 2 basically.

I'm curious how much of book 2 we are going to get in season 2. The exchange with Arrinright was basically a book 2 thing. As we don't learn about his involvement until late in book 2.

Moff

caliban's war
avasarala was introduced in book2, right? we got a lot of book 2 content, even some hints at book 5

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Man. I sure do love Amos.

"You said to wait, boss. So we wait."

I love his stone cold psycho eyes... he is a bit of an enigma for sure.

Great last 2 episodes, especially episode 9.
This is going to be a long wait till season 2: might actually read the books for the lead up :)

88random

Also, Amos just totally killed me when he said "you guys look like shit" right after Miller was seeing Julie:

The timing of this could not have been more perfect. It's still making me smile :D

I've been waiting for that moment, but I kinda wish it was more like in the book, with Amos being badass :D

It stopped, lift doors sliding open with a cheerful ding.
Amos stood in the airlock on the other side, an assault rifle in each hand and two belts of magazines for the rifles slung on his shoulders. He looked Holden up and down once, then glanced over to Miller and back again. “Jesus, Captain, you look like shit.”

Amos best character confirmed

edit: i love the design of that gunship

Yeah the ship is really well done. Utilitarian with a certain amount of elegance. In the books it's just a wedge with a few dongles sticking off the side, but this look still fits that functional design aesthetic but with a little more flair.

I've been waiting for that moment, but I kinda wish it was more like in the book, with Amos being badass :D

It stopped, lift doors sliding open with a cheerful ding.
Amos stood in the airlock on the other side, an assault rifle in each hand and two belts of magazines for the rifles slung on his shoulders. He looked Holden up and down once, then glanced over to Miller and back again. “Jesus, Captain, you look like shit.”

Yeah, their escape in the books was full of space zombies, though, so guns were ablazing the whole way through. This version was much quieter, and I kind of preferred it to the space zombies.

Moff

Leviathan Wakes
I would have been fine with vomit zombies
I am generally not a vomit and/or zombie kind of guy, but it would have added a bit more tension

Blatz

I'm really surprised this show isn't getting any more buzz. Even Defiance season 1 had more discussion than this.

This show always manages to surprise me in new ways subverting my expectations.

It seems to me that the execs at Syfy knew it wouldn't take off at first. I think they saw what happened with Firefly and believe the same would happen with The Expanse. Firefly was very popular in syndication on Syfy including many folks who had never heard of it. So basically they will likely re-run the season over and over for the rest of 2016 to build up for season 2 in 2017, because they knew sci-fi like this takes time to build an audience.

sammex

I loved it. Just wish they'd have actually said vomit zombies, although the guy in the tunnels getting vomited on through the grate was a good little nod.

Drazgul

If I have to complain about one aesthetic thing it's that, it's so low budget and stupid looking.

I didn't notice that at all, but then again I don't usually pay any mind to small details like that. The sets overall were more than adequate, and it was a great first season overall. SyFy redeemed itself a little with this show in my eyes.

ShaneB

You really should spoiler tag this with it being book stuff, as well as the posts replying.. oh well. just a minor quibble.

Enjoyed the season, glad it translated well. I had somewhat lost interest in the books (sci-fi books in general), but was really happy seeing things play out that I enjoyed reading ages ago.

Crispy75

In at least one scene he was using one of these:
3DConnexion-SpaceNavigator-3D-Mouse_700_600_4CNB9.jpg
Yeah I spotted that. In fact, the Roccinante's main control stick is exactly this:

top-panel-device.png

Without any extra set dressing. I'm willing to bet the display panel arms are commercially available iPad holders too :D

foxtrot3d

Banned
You really should spoiler tag this with it being book stuff, as well as the posts replying.. oh well. just a minor quibble.

Enjoyed the season, glad it translated well. I had somewhat lost interest in the books (sci-fi books in general), but was really happy seeing things play out that I enjoyed reading ages ago.

I thought about it but figured the episode already aired so it seems they aren't using that aspect and thus free to discuss in the open.

Without any extra set dressing. I'm willing to bet the display panel arms are commercially available iPad holders too :D

No doubt.

Yeah I spotted that. In fact, the Roccinante's main control stick is exactly this:

top-panel-device.png

I wouldn't mind one of those iPad holders tbh, those looked like they worked great haha

suzu

Eros is less horror on the show, but I'm fine with it, even though it wasn't as crazy as the book. Protomolecule looks kinda pretty too. lol

There's more info if you watch with subtitles.

Book 1 and 2 spoilers:
The subtitles call a guy "Protogen Merc" so I think Protogen is still around. They are just making Jules' involvement more obvious from the beginning. In order to beef up the UN story line they are borrowing material from book 2 basically.

I'm curious how much of book 2 we are going to get in season 2. The exchange with Arrinright was basically a book 2 thing. As we don't learn about his involvement until late in book 2.

Oh I know.
I just meant that they now seem to be under Mao-Kwik instead of being their own private research company.

Season 2 will hopefully get all or most of book 2, given the extra 3 episodes.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
It feels like an episode into the show the creators decided that they don't like that second cop and that the hipster cop needs a female partner/love interest. Should've just killed him off entirely then.

top-panel-device.png

Fuck load better than that Star Trek Insurrection did...

insurrection0801.jpg

Top Bottom