• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

suzu

I think most of the book talk in the thread has been about changes/differences (which should be ok behind spoiler tags if they're a bit iffy, imo), but everyone should hold off on the huge spoilers that haven't aired yet. lol

Or tag them really obvious.

Book spoilers should be fine provided they're spoiled tagged and labeled very carefully. Note that it's a book spoiler and which book you're discussing. Provided that's done, then I don't see a problem with it.

If you're spoiler averse, please don't go around highlighting things willy nilly unless you're sure about what's under there.

lt519

The info was properly spoiler tagged. The rules of the thread have been to spoiler tag anything that hasn't aired, which was done. If you are clicking on it, it's because it hasn't happened in the show yet. I think we just need to follow Cornballer's advice and clearly mark which book is in the spoilers as well so book readers don't get spoiled as well for, say Book 5 when they are on Book 1.

But I'd encourage more discussion about the show itself than the books to keep the thread balanced and newcomer friendly :)

I mean it says do not post book spoilers in the OP in bold and underlined :p

I need to update the OP since Cornballer gave his blessing for book spoilers.

On that note, can anyone provide me with the international broadcast options along with streaming options, I'd like to put that in the OP.

Paganmoon

I'll probably finish book 1 and deal with a few extra spoilers. I don't think I'll be able to just leave it 3/4 of the way through. Where can I get my hands on those novellas? Are they free?

The novellas are available as E-books on Amazon. I think Drive is free on Syfy's site though:
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/

Sucks about things getting spoiled for non-readers/current-readers, but I believe they were properly tagged, not sure what more could be done. Maybe use highlight tag major book spoilers follows, but that might be overkill.
Too bad there isn't enough traffic here to split into book spoiler and non spoiler thread as with GoT.

On that note, can anyone provide me with the international broadcast options along with streaming options, I'd like to put that in the OP.

Currently there are non afaik. Legendary holds the international rights, but has as yet not done anything with them.

icespide

Banned
The novellas are available as E-books on Amazon. I think Drive is free on Syfy's site though:
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/

Sucks about things getting spoiled for non-readers/current-readers, but I believe they were properly tagged, not sure what more could be done. Maybe use highlight tag major book spoilers follows, but that might be overkill.
Too bad there isn't enough traffic here to split into book spoiler and non spoiler thread as with GoT.

yeah I'd love to be able to discuss the show with other folks who have read the books. next time I will use giant red text for sure haha

Haven't read much of the thread cause I'm trying not to spoil myself (although any spoilers in a response are fine) but I read up to the middle of the third book I think, maybe the fourth.

Only watched the first episode but to any book readers does the plot deviate much from the books?

lt519

Haven't read much of the thread cause I'm trying not to spoil myself (although any spoilers in a response are fine) but I read up to the middle of the third book I think, maybe the fourth.

Only watched the first episode but to any book readers does the plot deviate much from the books?

It's pretty spot on. They move some things/characters around, but it's very faithful. I'm on the 5th book now!

Papa, need a Donkey Balls gif for the OP

Book spoilers should be fine provided they're spoiled tagged and labeled very carefully. Note that it's a book spoiler and which book you're discussing. Provided that's done, then I don't see a problem with it.

If you're spoiler averse, please don't go around highlighting things willy nilly unless you're sure about what's under there.
One more time.

Jag

Read the book awhile ago, but there was another scene with Holden and Miller if I remember:

(first book spoilers!)
the big pulsing mass of Eros bodies fused into the power source. I really thought they were going to show that, but I'm guessing budget restraints would have made it expensive.

Just finished it what a great final! Glued to my seat the whole way, I'm loving this show. I hope we get more Joe and Jim loved them two together and Amos grew on me, I thought he was an ass but I love his no nonsense approach

Yeah, that was a great season. That was kind of how Amos grew on me too over the course of the season.

Really neat interview with Tim Warnock and Ryan Denning of Blue North studios who did a lot of the concept art of the show. Some great concept art pieces in there as well.

Artstation Magazine - Behind the scenes: the concept art of The Expanse

Go check out the article for bigger and better :)

That's awesome concept art.

Zoe

Read the book awhile ago, but there was another scene with Holden and Miller if I remember:

(first book spoilers!)
the big pulsing mass of Eros bodies fused into the power source. I really thought they were going to show that, but I'm guessing budget restraints would have made it expensive.
That's not
what spy dude saw
?

Jarmel

Banned
I watched the entire season yesterday and today.

Definitely scratched an itch for me. It sucks I have to wait till 2017 to finish this.

Moff

(first book spoilers!)

First book Spoilers
We saw the Body fusing on the Anubis
The season did not cover the whole first book, we will see that on eros in the second season

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's pretty spot on. They move some things/characters around, but it's very faithful. I'm on the 5th book now!

Papa, need a Donkey Balls gif for the OP

t09eVD2.gif

lt519

Haha excellent Papa, thanks!

Ars Technica - Nick Farmer knows dozens of languages, so he invented one for The Expanse
He also decided that Belters wouldn't use the term "bullshit," because there would be no bulls in the Belt. Instead, they would come up with a uniquely Belter curse, "kaka felota," a term for what happens when your toilet backs up in low gravity and shit floats all over the place. ("Kata felota" literally means "floating shit.")

Ars Technica also slides in there that the show is "incredible." I wish some of the tech sites beyond io9 write a little more about The Expanse.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So in continuing my history as the worst boyfriend ever, I watched the finale without waiting for my SO. Show is good enough to warrant a rewatch in a couple of weeks anyway.
Please don't tell her.

68f92rQ.gif

Honestly, I was a bit let down by the finale. I expected some badass space fighting or at least something more interesting than just a bunch of tunnels and some more blue dudes. There was nothing particularly revealing about it and the whole "creepy tentacle pulling somebody into the distance" has been done so many times it's no longer shocking.

With that said, what the heck is the blue stuff? Some kind of grey goo? Is it man made or alien? (I'm betting the former) Why the heck Earth would be so interested in deploying such a weapon (?) given how it easily it could spread behind their own lines? The wait for S2 is going to be so long.

Qvoth

very late but finally watched the last 2 episodes
holy shit this show!!!!!!!!
p0QHO.gif

i really hope miller and holden doesn't die....
can someone spoil me whether or not they survive the radiation? and i think miller's infected with the protomolecule?

Moff

Have the spoken about the volume of season 2 or is that just a guess?
If they keep the pace my guess would be that season 2 goes further than the first book. I don't remember thaaat much happening after eros. not enough for a whole entertaining season at least.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Well,
the true book 1 finale will be at the end of S2
. You will get some cool space action then. :)

Not that I'm particularly shocked by that, but let's try to spoiler tag all remaining book/show connections so it doesn't turn into another GoT-like thread ;)

The less about the books it's mentioned in the open, the better.

Also, I hope Miller doesn't take his buddy's death to heart.

Paganmoon

very late but finally watched the last 2 episodes
holy shit this show!!!!!!!!
p0QHO.gif

i really hope miller and holden doesn't die....
can someone spoil me whether or not they survive the radiation? and i think miller's infected with the protomolecule?

spoiler regarding your question
They survive the radiation. as far as I remember miller isn't infected

Not that I'm particularly shocked by that, but let's try to spoiler tag all remaining book/show connections so it doesn't turn into another GoT-like thread ;)

The less about the books it's mentioned in the open, the better.

Also, I hope Miller doesn't take his buddy's death to heart.

Did you recently get modded?

lt519

I got anointed this weekend.

Noticed that myself, congrats! I actually tried to search for the yearly mod announcement thread and didn't find one.

As far as the finale goes, I think the big reveal is that it is all a big experiment that Julie Mao's father and some private company from Earth are conducting. They set up cameras, took samples, etc. They are going to be watching and monitoring Eros. I believe at some point they mention what they are doing is going to "save" everyone. Draw what conclusions you want from that but still a big question of man-made/alien. Was Phoebe another experiment? Are they conducting them elsewhere? Did they find whatever it is on Phoebe?

Also Miller baiting that gang member into the elevator and then capping him. Awesome.

Jag

With that said, what the heck is the blue stuff? Some kind of grey goo? Is it man made or alien? (I'm betting the former) Why the heck Earth would be so interested in deploying such a weapon (?) given how it easily it could spread behind their own lines? The wait for S2 is going to be so long.

Plenty of time to read the books and find out!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Noticed that myself, congrats! I actually tried to search for the yearly mod announcement thread and didn't find one.

As far as the finale goes, I think the big reveal is that it is all a big experiment that Julie Mao's father and some private company from Earth are conducting. They set up cameras, took samples, etc. They are going to be watching and monitoring Eros. I believe at some point they mention what they are doing is going to "save" everyone. Draw what conclusions you want from that but still a big question of man-made/alien. Was Phoebe another experiment? Are they conducting them elsewhere? Did they find whatever it is on Phoebe?

Also Miller baiting that gang member into the elevator and then capping him. Awesome.
I understand that Phoebe was under Martian jurisdiction, so I can only imagine that Mars found about the blue stuff and got rekt (either by this shadowy force or the blue stuff itself).

e_i

Watched the last episode. Very, very good. I don't under why the two guys
get doused with a lethal dose of radiation, but get back to the ship anyway. Can they be cured or something?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The Roci had radiation meds on board. I believe they filtered their blood or whatever with the gadget they latched to their arms. They basically drugged themselves to high heaven so they could keep reach the ship without collapsing from pain.

Also, you don't have to spoiler tag stuff that's been airead already ;)

Donos

Since there is not that much left of Book 1, i hope they put big $$$ into the [Book 2 spoilers]
Ganymede incident and the marines/mech who get wrecked by the Protomolecule. Really show how dangerous that thing is. That's probably Ep. 8 material for season two. Looking forward who they cast for Bobbie. Gwendoline Christie is out since Bobbie is polynesian (already saw recommendations on reddit like "darken Gwendoline Christies skin with CGI" :lol). They really need some MMA fighter type. Bobbie was almost 2 meters tall.

Since i saw Thomas Jane (Miller) in Mutan Chronicles , he looked always like the tough big brother of Aaron Eckhard to me. Google tells me i'm not the only one who thinks that.

lt519

Watched the last episode. Very, very good. I don't under why the two guys
get doused with a lethal dose of radiation, but get back to the ship anyway. Can they be cured or something?

The radiation poisoning is different than the infection caused by the blue stuff. Alex says "but what if they are infected" and Naomi says something like "He wouldn't do that [come back on the ship infected]."

When they are shooting Julie Mao with those lasers at the end they are pumping her full of radiation. It's implied a few times that radiation increases the rate of infection and/or growth and/or spreading of the blue stuff. They injected the people with the blue stuff before putting them in those rooms and then jacked them full of radiation.

Hence why Julie also smashes all her TVs and lights when she's infected. She was either going crazy or started associating any form of radiation may be increasing her problem. She initially finds the blue stuff on the core of the ship, which is full of radiation, etc.

DieH@rd

Banned
The Roci had radiation meds on board. I believe they filtered their blood or whatever with the gadget they latched to their arms. They basically drugged themselves to high heaven so they could keep reach the ship without collapsing from pain.

Also, you don't have to spoiler tag stuff that's been airead already ;)

It is worth to be said that in the books Rosci was described as being
"advanced and as sleek as fuck" when compared to Cant (in the show, every ship except those cheap people transports are depicted as good looking). It also included automated medical room that can handle any type of military indjury, including heavy radiation sickness.

Top Bottom