• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

Ledhead

Finished Leviathan Wakes. My initial plan was to stop there since I figured Season 1 covered most of book 1, but it seems like it only covered half the book, meaning I spoiled what I assume will be Season 2. Looks like I might as well just keep reading them since I'm already in this far

Donos

This is a thing that annoyed me about the show. The seats look like any old sci-fi type seats. Where's the gimbal? I always imagined them as being more suspended, so that they can adjust in any and all directions. They look way to stationary imo. Also more like beds.

Yep, in the book, they are more described as gimbal like beds/seats who spin to the direction of the gravity. Was probably to much hassle to show them always in these things.

Selner

Prepare for disappointment. Power armor is very difficult to do on a budget and is very cgi intensive.

Book 2 spoiler:
It's not like she wears it very often anyway. Only wears it three times, and one of those she's not armed. If they split book 2 across two seasons, they would only need to do one power armor scene in season 2. And I figure she'll look similar to iron man.

Paganmoon

That's where my head is at for the actress

No no no no.

Putting aside the fact that Bobbie is of Polynesian decent, she's also supposed to be very muscular, not only tall.

I mean, that casting is going to be hell, but Gwendoline Christie is not a fit, even remotely.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Season finale was awesome. Thomas Jane is killing it. The year long wait is gonna be torture.

This was a complete surprise. Never thought I'd rank a SyFy show as one of the best I've watched all year. I arrived kinda late to the party but damn I wish I had waited and binged it in summer, waiting till 2017 is insane.

alternade

Just binged this on a whim after seeing some gifs and so glad I did. This show is intense. How far into to books is it so far? Is it worth going back to read/listen to it?

suzu

Just binged this on a whim after seeing some gifs and so glad I did. This show is intense. How far into to books is it so far? Is it worth going back to read/listen to it?

Look guys, gifs work! :D

The show's first season doesn't cover all of the first book. It is worth reading, but not if you don't want to spoil part of season 2.

DieH@rd

Banned

S1 has covered ~ 2/3 of the 1st book. There are lot of interesting thing that will happen by the end of that book.

If you don't mind spoilers, books are well worth reading since show tweaked many things [but remained very faithful] and books of course offer many more details. Audio version is very good.

basefree

I just finished watching S1 and I have to say, I was extremely impressed! Finally something that lives up to the standards of prior shows like Battlestar.

Also really loved the designs behind everything, it all had so much detail, it was masterful. Anyone know if there are plans to bring out any merchandise?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Book spoiler! My mind's a bit foggy on whether it was the first or the second book when it's introduced, but where are the
spitting vomiting zombies
? Season 2? Cut?

Moff

Book spoiler! My mind's a bit foggy on whether it was the first or the second book when it's introduced, but where are the
spitting vomiting zombies
? Season 2? Cut?

Book 1 Leviathan Wakes Spoilers
hard to tell at the moment, the ceres incident just started, and while the crew saw the zombies while leaving the station it could be that the showrunners save them for the next season. they could just as likely be cut.

Selner

hard to tell at the moment, the ceres incident just started, and while the crew saw the zombies while leaving the station it could be that the showrunners save them for the next season. they could just as likely be cut.

Book 1 spoilers continue:
It appears they may have cut the "zombie" thing out, as they probably don't want to be labeled as a "zombie show". The finale did have a dying person/zombie spit up on the people in the maintenance corridor. I wouldn't be surprised if that was it for vomit zombies. It will be interesting to see what we get on the Eros live feed, to see if we get torsos and hands "walking" around the station.

So I've only seen the pilot, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was! Does it retain that quality throughout the rest of the season? If so, I'm about to watch it.

I hope The Expanse does well enough to reach that book, because it will be amazing~

Interesting so many people liked it. MAJOR SPOILERS FOR NEMESIS GAMES AKA BOOK 5.
For the most part, I liked the crew splitting up and getting to hear things from Amos, Alex and Naomi's povs. I absolutely loved Alex's storyline, and Holden's as much as I can enjoy anything Holden does. Amos was great, too, as it was nice to see some of his backstory back on Baltimore/Earth. That said, I hated Namoi's storyline. Absolutely hated it. I wish I could explain why I hated it so much, but maybe it comes down to me thinking they're not great at writing female characters (other than Bobbie and Avasarala, who is my one of my favorite characters.)

Is book 6 coming out this year? These guys have been cranking them out.

lt519

Is book 6 coming out this year? These guys have been cranking them out.

They've been planning one a year and have been sticking to it. It comes out Aug 16, Babylon's Ashes.

As for BOOK 5 SPOILERS
Naomi's story was definitely the weakest. She was pretty strong at the end, but for her to be so weak willed to go back in the first place and fall for the same tricks I wasn't too thrilled with. The rest were fantastic, I even enjoyed Holden who had to do a lot of soul searching without Naomi. It's the first time he's really been OK without knowing what was going on and not being in control. For someone who is so adamant about the truth being available to everyone it was interesting to see him getting past knowing what Naomi was doing. He wanted to know, but he was OK not knowing. The parallels to how Naomi feels when he always goes and does dumb shit was great. Amos' entire side story was fantastic. But still this book had more character development than the first 4 combined.

suzu

Books 3 & 4 were either hit or miss with readers, so that probably helped a tiny bit with book 5's popularity. haha.

Yeah. Babylon's Ashes got delayed a few months, so now it's August 16th.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?

I see. I can imagine they wanted to avoid being labelled as a (book 1/2 spoilers)
zombie show since the story is so much more then that. Still, it was a really effective and rather fucked up concept of being on a space station filled with those husks intent on getting you become part of team protomolecule
. We'll see how they handle it. Not really a biggie if they ditch it alltogether, but wonder what else they'll alter then.

Zakalwe

Banned
Extremely excited about how this show will progress. I wasn't expecting to find one of my favourite sci-fi shows of all time when I started watching.

The year wait is getting me tempted to buy the books, especially as I haven't read a great sci-fi series for a while.

What to do...

EDIT: I'd like to add, I really like all the actors/characters in this show. Especially the main crew. I especially liked how they transitioned from the Cant's larger crew to the characters we end up with. It felt incredibly natural, and the way they brought each character to life over time was expertly done.

Jane is excellent, too, I've always been a subdued fan, and at first I wasn't sure (like he was over acting the characters mannerisms, maybe) but after a couple of episodes his portrayal made much more sense and I completely stopped seeing the actor on screen.

I really enjoyed Elias Toufexis popping up halfway, although ever since DXHR I find it amusing seeing him play anything less than a badass with his voice.

Like I said, the year wait is going to be tough.

Zoibie

Yeah, I'm going to have to start reading the books. I just don't want to get too invested in the show in case the next season is the last - from what everyones been saying, it sounds like it would be a massive shame if that was the case.

lt519

I suggest people actually watch those NASA videos they are really cool. Even some insider info from the authors in the Ceres one that Mars had stripped it of all the ice (I somehow missed that in the books).

Can we all just agree that Jared Harris wiped the floor with everyone? Who was everyone's favorite by the end?

I'm about to start reading all of the novellas, kind of excited for The Churn and Drive.

lt519

Miller all the way. Despite the stupid haircut.

7YtXycm.gif

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
For me, it's the captain of the Donnager that's my fav.

She strolls off the bridge in the middle of an active engagement. That's bad ass.

PennyWong.png

lt519

Its friggin terrible. But he's still The Boss. Even Amos agrees.

Haha I'm just playing, looked better on Rihanna. He was so boss in the finale, telling that guy to come to the elevator...

For me, it's the captain of the Donnager that's my fav.

She strolls off the bridge in the middle of an active engagement. That's bad ass.

She was great, could of used more of her in the first couple episodes to get a Mars perspective of everything going on. I really think they could have brought one of the Book 2 characters forward like they did with Avasarala to get the Earth perspective.

saunderez

She was great, could of used more of her in the first couple episodes to get a Mars perspective of everything going on. I really think they could have brought one of the Book 2 characters forward like they did with Avasarala to get the Earth perspective.

As a non book reader I can't wait to see more of Mars. I might just have to keep reading after all (only 1/3 through Leviathan Wakes).

Top Bottom