• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

Xe4

Banned
I suggest people actually watch those NASA videos they are really cool. Even some insider info from the authors in the Ceres one that Mars had stripped it of all the ice (I somehow missed that in the books).

Can we all just agree that Jared Harris wiped the floor with everyone? Who was everyone's favorite by the end?

I'm about to start reading all of the novellas, kind of excited for The Churn and Drive.

Amos, it's not even close. He makes the show.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Amos is the shit. Easily the best character along Miller, whom I found a bit grating at first with his noir routine. I also enjoy how he switches from murderous thug to "pls Naomi". Avasarala is also excellent. Her screen presence is amazing.

I hate that haircut.
7YtXycm.gif

StuKen

Avasarala is also excellent. Her screen presence is amazing.

Her voice is incredible. The gravitas and force of presence work just as well the confidence and caustic wit of her book counterpart in making you think she has everything under control. Apart from the lack of cursing which is Malcom Tucker level profanity in the books she has nailed it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sci-fi's current QBIC if you ask me.

Although given the latest events near the end of the season, I wonder if the IC bit still stands.

lt519

Need a good no gravity scene with him like Julie Mao got but with Miller and his hair floating all wildly.

The Verge has The Expanse front and center on their website right now.

Haven't read the article yet, but here's the link:

How SyFy's The Expanse cast its multiracial future

Edit: Holy shit that was a really long but great article about the shows approach to diversity. A lot of quotes from the various actors including the captain of the Donnager.

Selner

Need a good no gravity scene with him like Julie Mao got but with Miller and his hair floating all wildly.

The Verge has The Expanse front and center on their website right now.

Haven't read the article yet, but here's the link:

How SyFy's The Expanse cast its multiracial future

Edit: Holy shit that was a really long but great article about the shows approach to diversity. A lot of quotes from the various actors including the captain of the Donnager.

Hmmm... there's a bit of a "spoiler" for Season 2 in that article. Or at least confirmation for book readers about a character.

Book 2 spoilers:
Article mentions they are currently casting Bobbie Draper, and are looking for "their Gwendolyn Christie". I wasn't sure how much of book 2 would be in season 2, but Bobbie will be there. I wonder if the Ganymede Incident will happen, or if Bobbie's stuff will be background like Avarasala's in season 1.

I am currently a little over halfway through Nemesis Games (book 5). I really hope this show takes off. Book 5 needs to make it on the screen.

Moff

I was never bothered by the haircut, and I think TV Miller was great, especially after he met up with Holden and went into full badass mode. I think I like him more than book Miller.

suzu

Amos and Miller are my favorites so far.

Although I went in knowing I'd like Amos anyway as long as the actor nailed his character properly (which he did).

Paganmoon

I don't recall it being mentioned in the series, so spoilering (General book spoilers about the world no plot spoilers.)
has there been any mention of Basic in the series yet? Can't recall it. there's discussion here and there about the right to Basic income in general in the world today, and thought it was a pretty good part of the worldbuilding in the books

Joriaan

Neo Member
There was, but only in passing. Avasarala used it as a threat when she was asking
Kenzo's
handler if she could borrow the spy for her own use, in the underwater theme park tunnel thingamajig. Something like "you'll be spending the rest of your life on Basic in some squalid dump", can't recall correctly.

Also, I was actually kinda glad with the ending of the season, in that
Miller is now part of the Roci's crew and Kenzo is going to be the Cypher, considering Miller in the series is amazing and has much more potential than just being a representation of the hivemind
. Having said that,
the protomolecule itself was disappointing, especially considering how the Eros incident was described in the book and how repulsive it seemed.
I hope that gets a bit more inventive and threatening, the blue fireflies were a great touch though.

Paganmoon

That Verge article really waxed poetic on the show, hoping it gets some traction with viewers.
One thing though, the writer kept stating "They're all written exactly like men,", really bothered me. I guess the writer meant "written like the men, being capable and have characteristics other than 'being a woman'", but it's so poorly worded.

Morat

Banned
Started watching this after hearing about in this very thread. Great recommendation. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far (even if the detective guy is a bit wanky), and I'm extremely picky when it comes to science fiction.

Anyone buying the Blu-ray? Seems to be seriously lacking extras, unless the box art hasn't been updated yet.

Amazon US

Deleted scenes? That's it? :( I want to buy it to throw money at it, but that's a shame if that's all the bonuses they're including.

I read an interesting article with Thomas Jane about how much he loved the blend of sci-fi and detective noir; sounds like he's really into detective noir stuff so that's probably why he was hitting that particular note pretty hard there at the beginning with Miller. This role's kinda like a dream come true for him.

Also, semi-related, I started watching Hung because Jane's amazing and it's really good (not to mention he's incredibly easy on the eyes and is very, very naked a lot of the time.) I still can't get over what a perfect Miller he makes! The casting is pretty great - hopefully they'll pick just as well with Bobbie's actress.

KonradLaw

Finished the first season. Really liked it. Amazing setting, great production values and interesting characters that actually grow the more you watch them. Started slow, but when all the pieces came together at the end it was so damn satisfying.

Also...Miller pretending to be belter's guard and starting a riot in the last episode has got to be one of my favorite tv scenes in a long long time :D

Just started catching up on this the last few days. Amazing show. I just finished episode 8.

So....aliens? It's got to be aliens, right? Please be aliens.

Edit: Finished the last two episodes. So awesome. I hope the wait isn't too long for the second season.

Paganmoon

So I recall there were a few here who were just starting to read the first book when the show started, not sure if you are still around, or if you bailed after the little "spoiler mishap". But anyway if you are still around, was wondering about thoughts if you all are caught up in the books up to the point where the show is.

DieH@rd

Banned
Not really half the book left (from my memory). Would say more like a quarter or less.

I've read the book again after S1 was finished.
Eros was on half, but they visited Anubis after it.
More than 3rd of the book remained after that.

Top Bottom