• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Another shot, with a quarter for scale.

I really can't stress or capture in a photo how BIG these books are. Easily a foot in height.

I got mine from Amazon last week, but the box was dented. Now they're out of stock and I have to wait until after Christmas for it.

epmode

I got mine from Amazon last week, but the box was dented. Now they're out of stock and I have to wait until after Christmas for it.

Same exact thing happened to me. There was absolutely no packing material in the box.

I tried to exchange it but Amazon must have had similar complaints since the set was temporarily delisted due to customer concerns. It was put back up a few days later and my replacement is perfect.

survivor

Banned
Hmm, I wonder if Canadian Amazon will have the same problem. I would have prefered to get the manga from Chapters but they are sold out.

Images from the new Blu-rays.

Kiki's Delivery Service

Only Yesterday

Kiki looks stunning in motion. Haven't watched Only Yesterday yet.
Comparison shots 3 for Kiki's delivery service just...

fry-panting-o.gif

I'm gonna avoid looking at the rest because I want to fall in love with this movie all over again. Also, Only Yesterday up next for the blu-ray treatment? Somebody upstairs likes me right now. I hope that lasts until my Calc II final.

Quick question, if you could only get one Ghibli Blu-Ray for your 8-year-old niece, what would you get her:

Nausicaa
Laputa/Castle in the Sky

or screw it, get both...it's Christmas dammit =P

Seriously, though, what's more appropriate for her age?

Edit: WHOA, I just noticed that Nausicaa manga hardcover box set...

I think I'll just get my niece the Nausicaa blu-ray...and that box set for myself =P

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Quick question, if you could only get one Ghibli Blu-Ray for your 8-year-old niece, what would you get her:

Nausicaa
Laputa/Castle in the Sky

Ponyo.

If I have to choose between the two you listed, I'd say to definitely go with Laputa.

Nausicaa
Laputa/Castle in the Sky

I'd go for both, but Laputa would be great if it was only out of those 2. I also second Ponyo like the above.

Exodus

Banned
I really like Howl's Moving Castle.

Those moments where Howl see's Sophie change back to her old self but never tells her and doesn't freak out. I think everyone needs to take that approach when there's something wrong with someone. More understanding and less panicking.

qindarka

Banned

Nausicaa
Laputa/Castle in the Sky

Edit: WHOA, I just noticed that Nausicaa manga hardcover box set...

I think I'll just get my niece the Nausicaa blu-ray...and that box set for myself =P

Think Castle in the Sky might be better. It's a good deal more entertaining.

Wouldn't recommend Ponyo at all. It may be a children's movie but it's a bad children's movie.
Also has a young girl abandoning her father and mutilating her body for a boy she has barely met.
Bad message alert.

Hey guys.

My only exposure to Ghibli has been Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese animated films but I liked both, and from what I know, Ghibli (like Pixar) has a reputation for delivering high quality animated films.

Where should I go next?

Jacob

Hey guys.

My only exposure to Ghibli has been Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese animated films but I liked both, and from what I know, Ghibli (like Pixar) has a reputation for delivering high quality animated films.

Where should I go next?

Whisper of the Heart is arguably their best film, and my personal favorite. It doesn't have the same level of supernatural elements as Spirited Away but it is somewhat similar as a coming of age story about a young girl. Princess Mononoke is more of an epic fantasy but it's damn good and I'd highly recommend it. Some people find it to be a little preachy with the environmental message but I think it's very balanced with sympathetic characters on all sides. The Secret World of Arrietty is a very strong recent offering from a younger Ghibli director. It's based on the English children's book series The Borrowers, if you're familiar with that.

Those are the Ghibli films I'd most whole-heartedly recommend, but there are plenty of other great ones, including some I still have yet to see.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hey guys.

Where should I go next?

Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro.

epmode

I like Kiki's Delivery Service because it doesn't really have an antagonist. Unless you count that snobby cat. Or thunderstorms.

LuuKyK

Hey guys.

Where should I go next?

All the recommendations above are good to be honest but I would add Grave of the Fireflies and Ponyo to those. There is not a single Ghibli film that I dont like though. :p

qindarka

Banned
All the recommendations above are good to be honest but I would add Grave of the Fireflies and Ponyo to those. There is not a single Ghibli film that I dont like though. :p

Even Earthsea?

Hey guys.

Where should I go next?

All of Miyazaki's films (except Ponyo) are a pretty safe bet. As with Jacob above, I consider Whisper of the Heart to be their best film. Grave of the Fireflies is also highly recommended.
The quality of their output in the last decade or so hasn't been so good, however, with duds such as Tales from Earthsea and The Cat Returns.

I like Kiki's Delivery Service because it doesn't really have an antagonist. Unless you count that snobby cat. Or thunderstorms.

Pretty common for Ghibli films. Totoro, Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, Whisper of the Heart, Yamadas and Poppy Hill also do not feature antagonists.

So I've been contacted by several people asking for more details regarding the Nausicaa sets, which I thought I might as well share here as well. Mods, if there are any issues posting photos of actual internal pages, let me know and I'll take them down.
The set is really really nice. The two volumes are a bit heavy, so there is that. I've attached some more pictures for you to judge yourself, including a random page of text, which you can look at to see if it's a different translation.

Sushigod7

So I've been contacted by several people asking for more details regarding the Nausicaa sets, which I thought I might as well share here as well. Mods, if there are any issues posting photos of actual internal pages, let me know and I'll take them down.

The set is really really nice. The two volumes are a bit heavy, so there is that. I've attached some more pictures for you to judge yourself, including a random page of text, which you can look at to see if it's a different translation.

Thanks for posting that was about to bite on it when Amazon pulled the plug. They look amazing and even though this isn't my favorite film I'm probably going to pick up. I'd like to start getting some of the Japan Blu-Rays but can't justify the cost of $90 apiece. For those who have bought them where is a good place to go?

Thanks for posting that was about to bite on it when Amazon pulled the plug. They look amazing and even though this isn't my favorite film I'm probably going to pick up. I'd like to start getting some of the Japan Blu-Rays but can't justify the cost of $90 apiece. For those who have bought them where is a good place to go?

I've found the manga to be much better than the movie, which isn't one of my favorite Miyazaki movies. I finally have had time to read it over the holidays and haven't been able to put it down!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
He had a hell of a lot more time on the manga - I don't think it diminished the quality of the movie. You can see the maturation in thinking over the years on the pages, from the first bits to the finale in '94.

Just saw Only Yesterday on the big screen today at a local arty cinema that had a month of Ghibli films. Vancouverites, you can still catch the last screening next week.

Still holds up as one of the finest movies the studio has ever put out. So much charm and care oozing out of every meticulously crafted frame.

Sushigod7

Dunno about everyone else but I'm way more hyped for Kaguya-hime than the Miyazaki flick. That art style is incredible looking.

Hell yeah I've been on the hype train since they both got announced. Pretty amazing two movies from Ghibli this summer. Wish I lived in Japan.

Any updates on Totoro in USA? :(

For Blu-Ray in the US? Everyone is hoping this year since the Japanese version just got released. You could always import if you want it now.

GCX

Nausicaa's movie version loosely covers only the first two volumes of the manga (there are 7 volumes in total, and the later ones are much longer). While the setting and some of the characters are same, manga version is a whole different experience. There's so much more depth in everything; villains aren't all bad and good guys (including Nausicaa herself) aren't always saints. There are whole countries and tribes that aren't even mentioned in the film.

Sushigod7

Nausicaa's movie version loosely covers only the first two volumes of the manga (there are 7 volumes in total, and the later ones are much longer). While the setting and some of the characters are same, manga version is a whole different experience. There's so much more depth in everything; villains aren't all bad and good guys (including Nausicaa herself) aren't always saints. There are whole countries and tribes that aren't even mentioned in the film.

Hmm I like the way that sounds, your description sold me. Thanks for making me spend more money.

Exactly. Every character has more of that Miyazaki depth where nobody is evil. It also has a way better villan as well, IMO.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I bought the Nausicaa manga boxset on the day it came out. Have had zero issues with it. If anyone is at all interested in it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed whatsoever.

Sushigod7

I bought the Nausicaa manga boxset on the day it came out. Have had zero issues with it. If anyone is at all interested in it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed whatsoever.

I think the consensus here was the review came from shipping damages a few Gafers got messed up copies. I'm ordering now hope they don't F it up.

Cranzor

I'm hoping to get some form of a blu-ray player soon and I can't wait to check out the Ghibli movies released!

Here's a question for you guys. Is this legitimate? None of the reviews that I've seen on there mention it being a bootleg but the back cover leads me to believe that it is. I also tried searching for it elsewhere and I didn't find any information about it. The only things I found were more links to buy it. Was just wondering if you guys knew. It just seems way too good to be true.

Shiv47

I'm hoping to get some form of a blu-ray player soon and I can't wait to check out the Ghibli movies released!

Here's a question for you guys. Is this legitimate? None of the reviews that I've seen on there mention it being a bootleg but the back cover leads me to believe that it is. I also tried searching for it elsewhere and I didn't find any information about it. The only things I found were more links to buy it. Was just wondering if you guys knew. It just seems way too good to be true.

Every Ghibli movie for $35? Yes, I think it's a bootleg. Particularly when they're throwing more than one movie on a disc.

Sushigod7

Just watched the Secret World of Arrietty the other night. It was ok, definitely not in my top 5.

It's not the best movie but a good one, I like the music. Even though I wasn't the least bit interested in it to begin with I have still watched it twice all Ghibili movies just pull you in, well except Earthsea.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just watched the Secret World of Arrietty the other night. It was ok, definitely not in my top 5.

Story wise, it really trailed off in the second half of the movie for me, but it's a gorgeous film. I always love the miniature perspective done right in films and Arrietty does a great job.

Cranzor

Every Ghibli movie for $35? Yes, I think it's a bootleg. Particularly when they're throwing more than one movie on a disc.

I ordered something from a seller that is also selling that so I cancelled my order just to be on the safe side. I didn't want to end up with a bootleg of what I was buying.

Aggrotek

It's not the best movie but a good one, I like the music. Even though I wasn't the least bit interested in it to begin with I have still watched it twice all Ghibili movies just pull you in, well except Earthsea.
Oh yes, the music was excellent.

Story wise, it really trailed off in the second half of the movie for me, but it's a gorgeous film. I always love the miniature perspective done right in films and Arrietty does a great job.
I agree. The little attention to detail was spot on. I like how Arrietty kept water in an empty wax candy container. lol

Sushigod7

So just watched Return of the Cat last night. Not sure what to think about it yet, I really enjoyed parts but something about it just didn't seem to "click" with me. The style seemed a little mis-mashed. Not a bad movie by any means but can't put my finger on it.

On a separate note got my Nausicaa box set and it's awesome thinking about getting the print framed if they can press out the folds.

duckroll

So just watched Return of the Cat last night. Not sure what to think about it yet, I really enjoyed parts but something about it just didn't seem to "click" with me. The style seemed a little mis-mashed. Not a bad movie by any means but can't put my finger on it.

On a separate note got my Nausicaa box set and it's awesome thinking about getting the print framed if they can press out the folds.

The Cat Returns feels like a TV movie. I think the fact that it is rather innocent and unoffensive in content tends to leave an impression that it's not a bad movie but that something is still off. But after trying to watch it again after the initial viewing, my conclusion is certainly that it is a bad movie. It's just lazy and safe, and makes a total waste out of the connections it tries to have with a much, much superior movie. This is the Ghibli version of a direct-to-video Disney sequel which no one wants, except it wasn't direct-to-video.

qindarka

Banned
The Cat Returns feels like a TV movie. I think the fact that it is rather innocent and unoffensive in content tends to leave an impression that it's not a bad movie but that something is still off. But after trying to watch it again after the initial viewing, my conclusion is certainly that it is a bad movie. It's just lazy and safe, and makes a total waste out of the connections it tries to have with a much, much superior movie. This is the Ghibli version of a direct-to-video Disney sequel which no one wants, except it wasn't direct-to-video.

Yeah, felt the same. Story felt so unsubstantial and simplistic.

Also has pretty much nothing to do with Whisper of the Heart besides the character of the Baron who has been turned into a generic action hero.

It also has a 94% rating on RT which is laughable.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Cat Returns feels like a TV movie.

Which is weird because Ghibli's only TV movie, Ocean Waves, is actually really great.

I think the fact that it is rather innocent and unoffensive in content tends to leave an impression that it's not a bad movie but that something is still off. But after trying to watch it again after the initial viewing, my conclusion is certainly that it is a bad movie. It's just lazy and safe, and makes a total waste out of the connections it tries to have with a much, much superior movie. This is the Ghibli version of a direct-to-video Disney sequel which no one wants, except it wasn't direct-to-video.

The Cat Returns is one of the worst Ghibli films, easily. I was terribly disappointed by it.

Ezalc

Oh my god where did you get this? I need it in my life.

edit: Just saw link. One day you gorgeous thing of deliciousness you. One day.

Watched grave of the fireflies this week.
It absolutely crushed me :( I almost regret watching it as beautifully made as it is.

Also watched Totoro which I think is my new favorite, the animation and the setting are just perfect.
I've also never seen the mood and atmosphere of countryside life depicted better anywhere else.

Studio Ghibli is in a league all of it's own when it comes to building interesting characters and animation. They put disney and pixar to shame.

Sushigod7

Probably a good way to look at it glad I didn't pay much for it and maybe my daughter will like it when she is older.

Oh my god where did you get this? I need it in my life.

edit: Just saw link. One day you gorgeous thing of deliciousness you. One day.

I just got it I can vouch for the awesomeness of the set is worth more than the price of admission.

qindarka

Banned
Watched grave of the fireflies this week.
It absolutely crushed me :( I almost regret watching it as beautifully made as it is.

Also watched Totoro which I think is my new favorite, the animation and the setting are just perfect.
I've also never seen the mood and atmosphere of countryside life depicted better anywhere else.

Studio Ghibli is in a league all of it's own when it comes to building interesting characters and animation. They put disney and pixar to shame.

Not really. They do have their share of failures as well, especially in the last decade or so.

Top Bottom