• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh shit. This'll be out in theatres come February? How long do these usually take to come to bluray?

The most recent Ghibli film that Disney handled the US distribution of, The Secret World of Arrietty, released in theaters on Feb 17 (2012) and came out on Blu Ray on May 22 of the same year.

thenexus6

tumblr_mxyisdyRj91rh1ma9o1_500.jpg

watkinzez

The most recent Ghibli film that Disney handled the US distribution of, The Secret World of Arrietty, released in theaters on Feb 17 (2012) and came out on Blu Ray on May 22 of the same year.

That was a year after it came out on Blu-ray in Japan, though. It'll probably come out there June next year, so I wouldn't expect it until after that.

Despera

Banned
I just want to say that I never watched Princess Mononoke. I was sure a Bluray release was gonna come out eventually, and I decided to wait for that because this particular film seemed to be the most interesting of Ghibli's.

Guess the wait is almost over :)

I got Grave of Fireflies on Blu-ray from one of my roommates for Christmas! My Ghibli collection grows.

Now I just need to import Porco Rosso, and I'll be content until Spirited Away hits.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What's with all these people opening their Christmas presents early?! It's not even Christmas yet!

That was a year after it came out on Blu-ray in Japan, though. It'll probably come out there June next year, so I wouldn't expect it until after that.

May, June - same dif.

omgkitty

Oh man, Ghibli is making a television show!

Goro Miyazaki Will Direct Studio Ghibli’s First TV Series “Ronia The Robber’s Daughter”

ronjarobbersdaughter.jpg

Studio Ghibli will produce its first animated series for television with Hayao Miyazaki’s son, Goro Miyazaki (Tales from Earthsea, From Up On Poppy Hill), at the helm. Titled Ronia the Robber’s Daughter (Sanzoku no Musume Ronia), the CG series is based on the book of the same name by Swedish children’s author Astrid Lindgren (Pippi Longstocking).

Set in a medieval European forest, it is a coming of age story revolving around Ronia, daughter of a bandit tribe’s chief, whose fascination with the mysterious creatures that live in the forest leads to an encounter with a boy named Birk, the son of an enemy chieftan.

“Ronia the Robber’s Daughter is a story not just about a girl who grows into adulthood,” Goro Miyazaki says, “but it is also a story about the love and growth between a parent and child, and a story about the bonds between friends. My goal is to create a work that everyone, from children to adults, will be able to enjoy.”

Written by Hiroyuki Kawasaki (After War Gundam X, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Psychic Detective Yakumo) with animation produced in partnership between Studio Ghibli and Polygon Pictures (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, TRON: Uprising, The Sky Crawlers) the show will air on Japan’s public broadcasting network NHK and satellite channel BS Premium beginning this fall.

watershed

Banned

Wow! This is actually incredibly exciting news! I love the idea of turning on the tv and getting a new Ghibli animation every week. But sadly I won't be able to do that. I wonder if this will be localized at some point.

It will be interesting to see if this tv series keeps the high water mark of Ghibli animation or if it's "on the cheap" in any way. It will also be interesting to see if Goro has grown as a director.

watershed

Banned
Poppyhill is definitely better than Earthsea but it still didn't quite do it for me. I'm also curious to see how he handles the tv serial format.

Mabase

The series is actually not done at Ghibli, but at Polygon. Ghibli is only listed as "Cooperation Partner" on Polygon's site and on NHK's website.
So, technically this is not "Studio Ghibli's TV Series", but rather "the son of Ghibli founder makes a TV series somewhere else".

Still looking forward to it though :)

codhand

The Wind Rises opened in the US, and I got the chance to see it in Japanese with subtitles. I loved it. I thought the parts about what it means to be an artist were fascinating. The scenery was impressive, bucolic countryside, for which Miyazaki is so justly famous. I can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray. I imagine this movie really speaks to the soul of those native to Japan.

Which releases of Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky have proper subtitles and audio options? Whether it's DVD or Blu Ray doesn't matter in this case.

javac

Which releases of Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky have proper subtitles and audio options? Whether it's DVD or Blu Ray doesn't matter in this case.

Does this help?

It's a lot to read but gives you a lot of details on the technicalities of each release. Doesn't seem to have the UK Porco Rosso however so it might not be 100% up to date. I have the Porco Rosso UK Blu-ray but haven't really had time to see how it fairs. Subtitles seem to be top notch across the board with Ghibli releases here at least.

Just pulled the box out and it says it has
Stereo 2.0 LPCM / English and Japanese with English subtitles.

I think it's locked to region B however. Not sure sorry.

AkuMifune

Banned
I just bought this poster and then noticed this thread. Seemed relevant. Something for the hallway.

I was going to get the original poster in the rain, but her sister wasn't there. Bothered me.

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

javac

I just bought this poster and then noticed this thread. Seemed relevant. Something for the hallway.

I was going to get the original poster in the rain, but her sister wasn't there. Bothered me.

Ha that looks amazing. Who doesn't love a bit of Totoro? I'm guessing it was pretty expensive?

AkuMifune

Banned
Ha that looks amazing. Who doesn't love a bit of Totoro? I'm guessing it was pretty expensive?

It's probably an unlicensed artists thing, and I had a frame already which prompted the search. Which makes me feel guilty enough that I need to buy something else to support Studio Ghibli today. Hmmm...

epmode

The Japanese blurays are the best available, although expensive. They're Region A and contain both the original Japanese audio (with English subtitles) and the Disney English dubs. They're worth it in my opinion:

Porco Rosso
Castle in the Sky

Does the Japanese version of Castle in the Sky have the dubtitles found in the American release? I don't speak Japanese but I can pick up a few things and some of the changes in the subtitles are distracting.

I finally got a chance to see The Wind Rises (english dub version) and it was truly wonderful. It was very melancholic and I was actually quite sad after leaving the cinema. The movie story along with the meta story that this is Miyazaki saying something as his (potentially) final film. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - it's actually one of the most fascinating films I can think of. Not every day you see an animated semi-bio/historical film about someone who is tasked with designing planes in the war. So cool.

zeroshiki

Toshio Suzuki has announced his retirement as Ghibli Producer, too. He'll become the General Manager which is an unknown position. He'll be succeeded by Yoshiaki Nishimura who is the producer on Yonebayashi's next movie.

Coreda

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.14863262.8381/flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Has that Olly Moss vibe going for it.

Oh, and before I forget: [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7D-1RG-VRk"]Poko the cockatiel whistling the Totoro theme[/URL]. So adorable.

watkinzez

Toshio Suzuki has announced his retirement as Ghibli Producer, too. He'll become the General Manager which is an unknown position. He'll be succeeded by Yoshiaki Nishimura who is the producer on Yonebayashi's next movie.

Oh wow, that's just as much the end of an era. Suzuki worked some magic to fund Fireflies and Totoro, and then to build the studio up to the heights of the 90s.

Does anyone here have the Princess Mononoke Blu Ray?
I really want to import it, but I'm not too familiar with the Ghibli Blu-Rays that haven't
been localized already.
I wouldn't mind paying the price, is the English dub on the disc?
Am I better off waiting for a US version?

watkinzez

Most of them have their English dub (exceptions are Arrietty, Poppy Hill, Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday) and all of them are region free. It's an excellent transfer as usual. As for waiting for a US release, that's a bit of a gamble. Mononoke is coming out in Australia and Europe in May, but Disney are so random with their release dates that it could be months, it could be more than a year. Up to you!

PolishQ

Does the Japanese version of Castle in the Sky have the dubtitles found in the American release? I don't speak Japanese but I can pick up a few things and some of the changes in the subtitles are distracting.

I can't say for sure, but the Princess Mononoke subtitles are not simply captions of the English dub. I would assume Castle in the Sky is the same.

I saw The Wind Rises last week, because I wanted to see what a Ghibli movie would be like in a theater.

I wasn't sure what to expect since the topic seemed kind of meh, but WOW… the way it told the story was just incredible. Anyone who's thinking about seeing it needs to go do so.

PolishQ

I saw The Wind Rises tonight. Great film, as expected. I think my favorite thing about it might have been the sound effects - it seemed like most of the airplane engine sounds were done with the human voice. That might sound lame on paper but in practice it made the planes seem like living things. Really interesting touch.

jwk94

Does anyone here have the Princess Mononoke Blu Ray?
I really want to import it, but I'm not too familiar with the Ghibli Blu-Rays that haven't
been localized already.
I wouldn't mind paying the price, is the English dub on the disc?
Am I better off waiting for a US version?

Go with the Japanese version. It has Japanese and English audio with English subs if that's your thing. I got it for Christmas ^^

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think it slipped by that GKids is handling the release of Princess Kaguya instead of Disney. They're releasing it this fall in theaters.

tuffy

It's worth adding that, unlike most of the other Ghibli Blu Ray releases, Cagliostro only has Japanese language tracks and Japanese subtitles. Fortunately, Discotek's Blu Ray release (due at "the end of year or early 2015") will have both English dubs, English subtitles and Japanese language options.

Desmond

It's worth adding that, unlike most of the other Ghibli Blu Ray releases, Cagliostro only has Japanese language tracks and Japanese subtitles. Fortunately, Discotek's Blu Ray release (due at "the end of year or early 2015") will have both English dubs, English subtitles and Japanese language options.

The Studio Canal Bluray release has the newer dub and has been out a year or two.

Top Bottom