• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Season of Superman & Lois is doing the Death of Superman story

ManaByte

Gold Member
For a CW show with a really low budget, that was actually pretty good. Yes the CGI looks bad, yes Doomsday's face looks silly, but considering what they're working with, I think they used it to full effect.
It has a higher budget than normal CW shows.

Doom85

For a CW show with a really low budget, that was actually pretty good. Yes the CGI looks bad, yes Doomsday's face looks silly, but considering what they're working with, I think they used it to full effect.

Yeah, I’ve not watched this show yet, but most people who have seem pretty happy with it. Between this and the cartoon My Adventures with Superman which has a lot of fans, Supes has been getting some good TV series lately.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah, I’ve not watched this show yet, but most people who have seem pretty happy with it. Between this and the cartoon My Adventures with Superman which has a lot of fans, Supes has been getting some good TV series lately.

The show is closer to a HBO/Max series than the CW.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Superlungs

Ken Jeong Yes GIF by The Masked Singer

FeralEcho

Doomsday looks exactly like the Berserker from Gears of War lol

7ibKhts.png

Other than that plagiarism and the shitty cg... It's actually not bad for CW. Pretty entertaining.

TVexperto

Especially since it had a much higher budget for the first 2 seasons, it pretty much has almost nothing now. so to see them pull it off is pretty amazing.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I wasn't around for the whole death of Superman stuff, but I admit I'm tired of them going back to that well. I rewatched the first Christopher Reeves Superman movie and it is so uplifting. He is so charismatic and plays Superman as someone who really wants to protect and save the world. IMO exactly what Superman should be. So this grimdark fighting Doomsday shit is a turn off. That Zack Snyder movie with Batman was just depressing.

Lambogenie

Whoa, I thought this show ended ages ago.

Not bad CGI for a low budget show either.

And yeah, where are his Super sons to help him?

Doom85

As we're posting superhero fx vids here I just have to post some of my favourite ones from Smallville.

Man, I can’t speak for the FX, but Smallville has some great elements, particularly some of the cast, despite its many flaws. I nearly got to meet Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor) in person but sadly missed the opportunity, but man he was great as Lex (also I’ve seen a little bit of his podcast, he seems like a great dude to just chat with). Tom Welling was great as Clark. Some don’t like her, but I really enjoyed Erica Durance as Lois. She Who Shall Not Be Named is awful as a person of course, but the performance as Chloe was great, sucks that will always have to be in the back of my mind whenever I watch the show now. And the Kents, perfect casting (and not Annette O’Toole’s first role in a Superman adaptation, she also had played Lana Lang in Superman 3, honestly the Clark and Lana scenes are among the VERY few good moments of that film).

Last edited:

taizuke

I wasn't around for the whole death of Superman stuff, but I admit I'm tired of them going back to that well. I rewatched the first Christopher Reeves Superman movie and it is so uplifting. He is so charismatic and plays Superman as someone who really wants to protect and save the world. IMO exactly what Superman should be. So this grimdark fighting Doomsday shit is a turn off. That Zack Snyder movie with Batman was just depressing.

That's exactly who the CW's Superman is. The most wholesome, most heroic, and charming as he can get. You're just seeing the trailer for the 4th and final season, but he's been like that all through all of them. IMO Tyler Hoechlin's portrayal of Superman is 2nd only to Christopher Reeves.

I was highly skeptical after being burnt out because of the Arrowverse but i gave Superman & Lois a chance and it's one the best superhero tv shows out there. Also, the show never undermines Clark to give way to Lois, no. They're both treated equally and you can tell Lois is as strong a character as Clark/Superman is. In addition, the side characters are treated with care and respect as well and you actually care about them. The show also has a strong emphasis on the traditional family which might as well be a white unicorn when it comes to modern story telling.

Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Last edited:

BadBurger

That's exactly who the CW's Superman is. The most wholesome, most heroic, and charming as he can get. You're just seeing the trailer for the 4th and final season, but he's been like that all through all of them. IMO Tyler Hoechlin's portrayal of Superman is 2nd only to Christopher Reeves.

I was highly skeptical after being burnt out because of the Arrowverse but i gave Superman & Lois a chance and it's one the best superhero tv shows out there. Also, the show never undermines Clark to give way to Lois, no. They're both treated equally and you can tell Lois is as strong a character as Clark/Superman is. In addition, the side characters are treated with care and respect as well and you actually care about them. The show also has a strong emphasis on the traditional family which might as well be a white unicorn when it comes to modern story telling.

Well, I have to check this show out now. I remember watching a few of the first episodes but whatever subscription I was subbed to lapsed so I couldn't watch any more.

Last edited:

BadBurger

I hate to spam this thread, but I just rewatched the first episode on your advise - on Max. Yea, this is Superman. Him detailing his love of Smallville, saving the kid in the classic suit, marrying Lois. I am tuned in.

Last edited:

taizuke

I hate to spam this thread, but I just rewatched the first episode on your advise - on Max. Yea, this is Superman. Him detailing his love of Smallville, saving the kid in the classic suit, marrying Lois. I am tuned in.

Glad to hear it. Yeah i can't praise this version of Superman enough and coming from the CW of all places, this might as well be another Andor in the sense that you can't believe that the network that turned into mediocre superhero fluff, somehow managed to have a show handled with a level of maturity and respect for the character not seen in most superhero adaptations.

I wasn't a fan of the actress they chose for Lois (which first appeared in one of the Arrowverse crossovers) and now i can't imagine Lois without her. Their sons in the show Jordan and Jonathan are great as well. Lana, Lana's husband Kyle, and their daughter Sarah are awesome too. There's two others i like as well but it's a bit spoilery. When i tell you the side characters matter, it's not a joke. The show takes the time to make you care about each and everyone and it never feels like it's wasting your time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom