• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football Season 24/25: 115 Reasons For Man City Not To Win Anything

T8SC

Oops..sorry, lol

GOAL_-_Blank_WEB_-_Facebook_-_2023-10-31T222612.445.png

DKehoe

Not make the most of your chances only to have Danny Wellbeck score Brighton’s first decent one. Sounds like United. Still hopeful for the second half though, it’s early in the season so I still have that naive optimism.

T8SC

Never nice to hear of someone die from Cancer but at least he had a long and successful life. He should be celebrated not mourned.

DKehoe

Let's see what Ugarte brings to the table
Not going to pretend I've seen him play a lot. But from what I've seen/read it seems like he can bring a lot of energy and defensive solidity to the midfield, which is something United have been missing. Last season Casemiro wasn't that mobile and it left big gaps in the areas he wasn't able to cover. Seems Ugarte is in that sort of Gattuso model of the guy that can chase down the ball and disrupt play rather than a 6 who will cover the backline through positional play. His passing game is also apparently quite simple but I think that might be less of an issue if you have de Light, Martinez, Dalot and Mazraoui then he can make the tackle then do the simple pass to one of them to progress play.

I think it will be good for Casemiro since he won't need to play as much and so might not get as worn down as he was last season, although it seems he has also shown up in better shape for this season. I'd also be interested to see the two of them play together for certain games, you could replicate the Stopper/Cover model you get with centre backs where Casemiro can be the one to make that initial attempt to close down/tackle the opposition and Ugarte can have the mobility to cover.

So Ugarte might not be the singular answer to United's midfield issues, but he should improve that area. Fingers crossed that's the case anyway.

Also, welcome to Football GAF!

Last edited:

T8SC

Hannibal to Burnley - £9m + add-ons.

McTominay to Napoli - €30m.

Sterling to Chelsea reserves - £0.

T8SC

I'm honestly going to miss the Terminator

Always thought he was underrated, especially last season when he made a couple of important goals

I think you could be right, one of those "you don't know what you had until it's gone" kinda players. Underrated like Carrick was. He wants the minutes we can't guarantee though so good luck to McSauce, he'll excel in Serie A.

DKehoe

I'm honestly going to miss the Terminator

Always thought he was underrated, especially last season when he made a couple of important goals
It’s always a shame to see an academy lad leave the club. But it will be good for him to, hopefully, be an established starter and Napoli are a great club to play for. He’s maybe not the most silky, technical player around but he always did whatever was asked for him and scored his fair share of important goals. Hope he does great over there.

Gubaldo

Neo Member
United ain't cooking anything for years to come from the looks of it.
Defense and midfield performance looks like a joke.
Doubt any manager can fix this easily.

Hrk69

Gold Member
United ain't cooking anything for years to come from the looks of it.
Defense and midfield performance looks like a joke.
Doubt any manager can fix this easily.
I love me some United drama

Put a Dutch manager in the mix and I'm in the clouds lol

I've got no particular team I'm rooting for actually, I've been a neutral watcher for years

DKehoe

Oshimen going on loan to Galatasaray is bizarre.
I love me some United drama

Put a Dutch manager in the mix and I'm in the clouds lol

I've got no particular team I'm rooting for actually, I've been a neutral watcher for years
United is the main character of the Premier League.

T8SC

We're back! The international break is over.

Several live games this weekend:

Saturday
  • Southampton - Man Utd - 12:30 on TNT Sports
  • Aston Villa - Everton - 17:30 on Sky Sports
  • Bournemouth - Chelsea - 20:00 on Sky Sports
Sunday
  • Tottenham - Arsenal - 14:00 on Sky Sports
  • Wolves - Newcastle - 16:30 on Sky Sports

Hoping Ugarte gets some minutes.

DKehoe

Hoping Ugarte gets some minutes.
Hope so but Ten Hag seems to like to give it a while before playing new signings. From what I've read/heard I don't think he's going to be the single complete solution to United's midfield structure but he should provide an improvement. Annoyingly, I've got something on tomorrow so won't be able to watch the game live.

Last edited:

T8SC

Didn't realize there was a football thread. I support a lower league team not a prem one but I can still laugh when Man City concede.

All leagues are welcome in here for discussion, whether its lower division English, foreign leagues like Serie A, La Liga or even pretend leagues like the Scottish ones. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Wasn't expect a Liverpool loss, that's busted some accumulators I'd guess.

Hell of a hit to put Everton 3-2 down again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom