• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Horner saying what everyone else is thinking:

Horner: I would not have kept Massa for 2013

"No, I don’t think I would (have retained [Massa])," Horner, whose team has claimed three successive world titles, said in The Official Formula 1 Season Review 2012 book. "Unfortunately, it’s a tough business, and results-based. You’ve got to look at what the guy in the other car, which we must assume is equal equipment, is achieving.

"They obviously had a look at other drivers - at least one of ours! - so they were obviously concerned about his form, but their options seemed to become limited.

"Then Felipe obviously picked his form up in the last third of the year. They were obviously deliberating - the messages coming out of Maranello confirmed that - and probably when the music stopped they realised that the option they had was best for them."

Meanwhile, Massa has explained that he is 'more motivated than ever' ahead of the 2013 campaign, admitting that his experiences from 2012 should help him next year.

"Now I am more motivated than ever: the second part of the season was like a training session for next year," he said at Ferrari's Christmas party. "In 2013, I really want to come back to this event to celebrate something even better together with all of you!"
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/288677/horner-i-would-not-have-kept-massa-for-2013/

Poor old Massa, he was probably hoping all the back seat team principling was long gone.

Still, if he has another dire start to the season next year, I don't think he has any hope of keeping the seat for all 19 races.

He may say that but then every year he signs up the aussie massa for another year.

That's harsh. Both teams need a competitive #2 driver and I'd say that Webber is actually one, even though he dropped in the second half of the season (+ the two incidents with Fucking Grosjean didn't help).

Shaneus

That's harsh. Both teams need a competitive #2 driver and I'd say that Webber is actually one, even though he dropped in the second half of the season (+ the two incidents with Fucking Grosjean didn't help).
Yeah, that contract signing fucking did something with him. Almost like a curse.

Leunam

Indeed he would.

2010 - Lucas Di Grassi
2011 - Jerome D'Ambrosio
2012 - Charles Pic
2013 - Max Chilton
2014 - Some other rookie driver

Revolving door in full swing.

What happened to that American driver who tested for Caterham? Rossi, I think?

No money. Conor Daly couldn't find funding either so he's heading back to the U.S. and looks like he'll be in IndyCar with A.J. Foyt's team this year. A shame because he was doing quite alright in GP3.

I'm really thinking there won't be an American F1 racer for at least another decade or longer at this point. Too much money from drivers who have backing in developing economies like China, Brazil, etc.

Indeed he would.

2010 - Lucas Di Grassi
2011 - Jerome D'Ambrosio
2012 - Charles Pic
2013 - Max Chilton

To be fair, I think Pic has only moved on because he was effectively poached by Caterham. And with the large sums of money that supposedly come with Chilton, he'd have to be pretty spectacularly bad to lost his seat after just one season (if Marussia survive into 2014).

Mastah

Indeed he would.

2010 - Lucas Di Grassi
2011 - Jerome D'Ambrosio
2012 - Charles Pic
2013 - Max Chilton

di Grassi and d'Ambrosio brought few sponsors with them, but money only lasted for one year. Pic and Chilton are in very different situation. Pic has 10+ millions per year available, but his backer thought Caterham will be better team in their business plan (French driver + French boss + French engines + Caterham recently teamed up with Renault). Chilton on the other hand was promoted only because his daddy bought shares in Marussia. On talent alone I would easily name 20 drivers in last 2 seasons of GP2 and WSbR who are better than him, but when your daddy owns the team, you will drive no matter what. And that's the reason he will probably stay there for a while.

Wow, I can't stand Chilton's face.

oq2Qu.jpg

bPe5f.jpg

He immediately rubs me the wrong way.

Leunam

To be fair, I think Pic has only moved on because he was effectively poached by Caterham. And with the large sums of money that supposedly come with Chilton, he'd have to be pretty spectacularly bad to lost his seat after just one season (if Marussia survive into 2014).

di Grassi and d'Ambrosio brought few sponsors with them, but money only lasted for one year. Pic and Chilton are in very different situation. Pic has 10+ millions per year available, but his backer thought Caterham will be better team in their business plan (French driver + French boss + French engines + Caterham recently teamed up with Renault). Chilton on the other hand was promoted only because his daddy bought shares in Marussia. On talent alone I would easily name 20 drivers in last 2 seasons of GP2 and WSbR who are better than him, but when your daddy owns the team, you will drive no matter what. And that's the reason he will probably stay there for a while.

Lotta sense being made here. Thanks for the insight.

Shaneus

I just received my F1 fridge magnet with all the rounds on it and round 10 (after Germany) is "Additional event, TBA" (never mind that Germany is TBA as well). Is that a recent thing or am I just slow? Has it been decided yet?

And hasn't it been clarified where the German GP will be next year?

With a lengthy post-season wait before the deal was officially announced, Grosjean revealed that the final decision was made just before his Race of Champions triumph in Bangkok last weekend.

"When I got it I felt really good, really proud and it is a sign of the confidence the team and the owners have in me. I am really looking forward to starting the 2013 season."
"Total is pleased to support Romain Grosjean for the second consecutive year of his career in Formula 1. This is a new step in the relationship of trust that we have built together from his first laps, seven years ago.

"Supporting young talents, encouraging the path of excellence and performance, is a mission that is important to us. It complements the technological commitment that binds us to manufacturers and allows us to make of Formula 1, a laboratory of innovation to provide our customers with fuels and lubricants which tend to optimum energy efficiency."

Total is also a team sponsor of Lotus, appearing on front and rear wing endplates.

Meanwhile:

tumblr_lquc0geBor1qmjvu1.gif

Adamm

I'm sure there's some joke there about the fact that Roman grosjean constantly looses his front wing so the total sponsorship is never actually seen.

Mastah

Mercedes admits it will be under pressure to produce a competitive car now it has signed Lewis Hamilton for the 2013 season.

The 2008 world champion ended a six-year spell at McLaren to replace Michael Schumacher at Mercedes after signing a three-year deal with the Brackley squad.

Mercedes has so far failed to field a car strong enough to fight for wins regularly, although Nico Rosberg took victory in the Chinese Grand Prix earlier this year.

Team CEO Nick Fry is aware than signing a driver like Hamilton will raise the pressure on Mercedes to make sure it can deliver a strong car, as there are no doubts about the Briton's skills.

"I think it's a clear indication of the aspirations of the team. We've had probably one of the greatest drivers of all time driving for us, who was clearly in age terms reaching the later part of his career when he arrived with us," Fry told AUTOSPORT.

"In order to do well in Formula 1, you've got to do well in every respect. You've got to have the best technology, you've got to have the best teamwork, you've got to have the best management and you have to have the best drivers.

"[Hamilton's arrival] is very exciting for the team and also puts a lot of pressure on because Ross [Brawn] has to provide him with a very good car.

"He can't win with a car which is duff. He can win with a car that is not quite the best, but the competition is such that you can't bridge a huge gap."

Fry reckons Hamilton is in the same category as Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso when it comes to winning with a car that is not the class of the field.

He believes world champion Sebastian Vettel is yet to prove that despite three titles in a row.

"Certainly in my view, Lewis and Fernando Alonso are the two best drivers," he added. "I'd caveat that by saying Sebastian Vettel may well be in that group, but he's always had the best car, and he's got to prove it, in my mind.

"Certainly Fernando this year, when the Ferrari has not been the best car by any stretch of the imagination, has still done an exceptional job.

"And I think Lewis is still in that category of being a driver you could give not quite the best car and he could still win races, whereas most of the other drivers in the Formula 1 field will probably win the race if you give them the best car."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104880

Nice present for Rosberg from his boss "Hey Nico, you are a bit shit, Merry Christmas".

Also I absolutely agree with Fry about Alonso and Hamilton being the best drivers and that Vettel has a lot to prove he is equal to them.

DD

No money. Conor Daly couldn't find funding either so he's heading back to the U.S. and looks like he'll be in IndyCar with A.J. Foyt's team this year. A shame because he was doing quite alright in GP3.

I'm really thinking there won't be an American F1 racer for at least another decade or longer at this point. Too much money from drivers who have backing in developing economies like China, Brazil, etc.

LOL, no. Since 1970 there's always a brazilian driver on the grid on every season, eight titles, and yet the brazilian press and fans ask themselves if they will have a F1 driver for the years to come, since Massa probably isn't staying for too long. The most promissing names are Luiz Razia and Felipe Nasr, but the brazilian companies don't seem much interested in help these boys to get there.

You may think about Bruno Senna, but his main sponsor is an american company.

Also I absolutely agree with Fry about Alonso and Hamilton being the best drivers and that Vettel has a lot to prove he is equal to them.

Until he's in a team with either Hamilton or Alonso it's irrelevant, while he keeps winning people will automatically assume its because his car is the best (even though it probably wasn't this year).

LOL, no. Since 1970 there's always a brazilian driver on the grid on every season, eight titles, and yet the brazilian press and fans ask themselves if they will have a F1 driver for the years to come, since Massa probably isn't staying for too long. The most promissing names are Luiz Razia and Felipe Nasr, but the brazilian companies don't seem much interested in help these boys to get there.

You may think about Bruno Senna, but his main sponsor is an american company.

Oh, I wasn't trying to somehow say all Brasilian drivers were just pay drivers or anything like that. That's clearly not the case. Probably should have said Venezuela there or something, but there's going to be guys like Cucumber who are way over their heads in F1 but remain because money, just as hopefully there will be guys like Nasr who may not have the money, but have the talent to stay.

Sadly, the U.S. is in the money category now because our racing system is not set up to be friendly to producing F1 drivers.

DD

Oh, I wasn't trying to somehow say all Brasilian drivers were just pay drivers or anything like that. That's clearly not the case. Probably should have said Venezuela there or something, but there's going to be guys like Cucumber who are way over their heads in F1 but remain because money, just as hopefully there will be guys like Nasr who may not have the money, but have the talent to stay.

Sadly, the U.S. is in the money category now because our racing system is not set up to be friendly to producing F1 drivers.

I know you didn't mean that. What I'm saying is that these are new times in the F1, and the new blood is arriving mostly because of money, not just because of pure talent, and there's no brazilian company interested in helping the young talents to get there.

Davide Valsecchi won the GP2 series brilliantly this year, and Luis Razia did it brilliantly too, and yet they seem to have no chance in the F1. That's kind of sad, you know... =P

Rakkonen made $16.35 millions this year putting him at the 4th highest paid driver after Alonso and the two McLaren boys - http://www.iltasanomat.fi/formula1/art-1288525382585.html

Räikkönen has a clause in his contract, according to which Lotus-team has to pay him one million dollars (760 000 euros) for each GP-victory.
In addition to that Räikkönen gets 50 000 dollars (38 000 euros) for each WC-point.
This season Räikkönen was out of points only in Shanghai GP. Räikkönen scored all and all 207 points during the season, which means bonus-money of 10,35 million dollars (7,8 million euros).
His bonus-system in his contract doesn’t have any kind of upper limit.

Vettel: "I don't praise myself" (Like Alonso) - http://www.racingnerds.com/?p=1219

Usually Vettel’s success has been said to be the merit of the the car. However in Fernando Alonso’s case the victories have this year again been typically said to be the merit of the driver’s own talents.

Vettel tells in the latest interview with Auto, Motor und Sport, that he is not going to lose his sleep because of the public opinion.

- It doesn’t bother me. Fernando himself is also responsible for the fact that people see it that way. I don’t praise much my own performances, he said.

- We have also won races we shouldn’t have won: take Monaco last year for example. I made the decision to drive the race with a one-stop strategy, which was absurd. The same thing in Barcelona 2011; (Lewis) Hamilton was faster but he didn’t overtake me.
Vettel doesn’t question Alonso’s talents, he says he respects him.

- I have a high opinion of him as a racing driver and a lot of respect for him. He is evenly in the stitch although things wouldn’t go well for him.

Hammer24

Banned
NH not being replaced at F1, only at DTM. "enough chiefs, not enough indians"
RB confirmed british directors.
2013 car "on schedule", suspension and gearbox finished stress tests

Top Bottom