• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Ark

tumblr_mg2vnnw9jJ1rr76d2o1_1280.jpg

This thread has really died down a bit this break. I guess being in the community section, a general lack of news, and the holidays are the cause.

Either way, have this picture of Wonderboy at Silverstone earlier this year.

Shaneus

Same, I had a look at as many photos as I could but never did find myself. I'm more astonished though that Red Bull themselves never posted a stack of ultra high-res pics so people could look for themselves. That's really peculiar.

DD

Ronaldinho-Gaucho-Atletico-MG-Eduardo_LANIMA20120609_0118_264.jpg

The final list of drivers for the Stars Challenge is up:

Felipe Massa, Brasil, F1
Fernando Alonso, Espanha, F1
Bruno Senna, Brasil, F1
Jaime Alguersuari, Espanha, F1
Vitantonio Liuzzi, Itália, F1
Kamui Kobayashi, Japão, F1
Sebastien Buemi, Suíça, F1
Jules Bianchi, França, F1
Lucas Di Grassi, Brasil, F1/WEC
Bia Figueiredo, Brasil, Indy
Augusto Farfus, Brasil, DTM
Luiz Razia, Brasil, GP2
Felipe Nasr, Brasil, GP2
Nelsinho Piquet, Brasil, Nascar
Pietro Fittipaldi, Brasil, Nascar
Cacá Bueno, Brasil, Stock Car
Luciano Burti, Brasil, Stock Car
Thiago Camilo, Brasil, Stock Car
Antonio Pizzonia, Brasil, Stock Car
Allam Khodair, Brasil, Stock Car
Valdeno Brito, Brasil, Stock Car
Ricardo Zonta, Brasil, Stock Car
Vitor Meira, Brasil, Stock Car
Enrique Bernoldi, Brasil, Stock Car
João Paulo de Oliveira, Brasil, Super GT/F-Nippon
Beto Monteiro, Brasil, F-Truck
Leonardo Nienkotter, Brasil, Copa Fiat

This one will be the 8th edition of the event. Alguersuari is the current champion, and the driver with most wins is Michael Schumacher, with two titles.

Next weekend! *¬*

http://tazio.uol.com.br/kart/desafio-das-estrelas-anuncia-grid-com-13-pilotos-com-passagem-pela-f1

Xun

Couldn't find the motorsports thread so thought I'd give here a go.

I've been tempted for a while to make a dedicated karting / kart racing thread.. would this be more appropriate in Community or OT (or kinda pointless?).
I think it would be a good idea, personally.

Not sure where it would go though. Probably OT.

Whoever managed the sponsors for Brawn should have been sacked after a couple of months. What a joke that a championship crushing car should have ended up so bare.

Ark

It's a wonder they got any sponsors at all. The team might have looked like the hottest thing on paper in 2009, but behind that it was a sinking ship.

It's a wonder they got any sponsors at all. The team might have looked like the hottest thing on paper in 2009, but behind that it was a sinking ship.

Doesn't really matter though. For that year they basically had guaranteed TV coverage... was a missed opportunity for companies looking for increased visibility.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The yellow on the Brawn cars was always ugly. It's like they colored them with a text marker.

Oddly enough, some of the orange in this year's cars was also that bright in person. I think the HRT and the McLaren's orange stripe were quite bright. Much brighter than it comes across on TV.

amar212

Wait. What about Turkey?

Because Turks are smarter then many other corrupted and stupid governments.

The Turkish government has rejected the idea of providing funding to revive the country's grand prix.

Our government paid $13.5m a year to the organisers for five years for the rights. All the income went to the organisers, so the state did not get any benefit

Turkish race organisers, who have been in negotiations with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, said the event would depend on government funds being available. But sports minister Suat Kilic said on Thursday that would not be the case.

"If it wants to, the private sector can bring Formula 1," Kilic was quoted as saying by the Dogan news agency.

"But there is no question of us paying the cost of the rights which have been proposed to a private company to bring Formula 1."

Kilic said the government had previously assisted in bringing Formula 1 to Turkey, making a "sacrifice" in order to boost the sport.

"Our government paid $13.5m [£8.4m] a year to the organisers for five years for the rights. In exchange for that, all the income went to the organisers, so the state did not get any benefit from it," he said.

The chairman of the Turkish Automobile Sports Federation said in a statement on Thursday that the organisation was making "every effort" to re-establish the grand prix in 2013 and "in future years". Chairman Demire Berberoglu said in a statement that an agreement had been reached between circuit operator Vural Ak and Ecclestone, but the government also had to play a part.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20630049

Bravo Turkey. But I was a great GP, I agree on that one.

dubc35

I was under the impression that the new regs meant that there was no advantage in a step any more?

The step will still be there, it will just be covered by a panel by those who choose to use one.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/10/01/2013-technical-regulation-changes
“3.7.9 an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate
(whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point”

Teams will now be able to hide the step in the nose with a simple sacrificial panel. The allowance to run this ‘modesty’ panel over the stepped nose was initially discussed in 2011, when the aesthetic impact of the proposed rule became apparent.​

DD

Because Turks are smarter then many other corrupted and stupid governments.

The Turkish government has rejected the idea of providing funding to revive the country's grand prix.

Our government paid $13.5m a year to the organisers for five years for the rights. All the income went to the organisers, so the state did not get any benefit

Turkish race organisers, who have been in negotiations with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, said the event would depend on government funds being available. But sports minister Suat Kilic said on Thursday that would not be the case.

"If it wants to, the private sector can bring Formula 1," Kilic was quoted as saying by the Dogan news agency.

"But there is no question of us paying the cost of the rights which have been proposed to a private company to bring Formula 1."

Kilic said the government had previously assisted in bringing Formula 1 to Turkey, making a "sacrifice" in order to boost the sport.

"Our government paid $13.5m [£8.4m] a year to the organisers for five years for the rights. In exchange for that, all the income went to the organisers, so the state did not get any benefit from it," he said.

The chairman of the Turkish Automobile Sports Federation said in a statement on Thursday that the organisation was making "every effort" to re-establish the grand prix in 2013 and "in future years". Chairman Demire Berberoglu said in a statement that an agreement had been reached between circuit operator Vural Ak and Ecclestone, but the government also had to play a part.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20630049

Bravo Turkey. But I was a great GP, I agree on that one.
Bravo indeed!

amar212

Bravo indeed!

Yap.

If I remember well, all *newcomer* tracks has to agree with following Formula One World Championship Ltd. (new Bernie's company that has rights to F1 for next 100 years basically, from 2011 to 2111, Todt secured him that in 2011) conditions:

- for the first 5 years all revenue from tickets goes to FOWC and FOM,
- for the first 5 years all commercial rights on selling all billboards and advertising spaces that can be seen during broadcast by cameras are strictly in domain of FOWC/FOM,
- every year organizer has to pay particular "fee" for hosting the race (newcomers pay more, "Classic" venues pays less, Monaco is the only track that pays nothing) to FOWC/FOM.

TLDR If you are newcomer track and you want F1 races, you are basically fucked for the first 5 years. If you somehow "survive" that initial period (Shanghai, Sepang and Bahrain are the only full-5-year survivors as I can remember from my head), you can finally start to make money. Of course, not as profit, but as return of investments. Road to profit is probably 10-15 years long, of course with presumption how track can actually make additional money from other venues then F1 throughout all year and such.

Of course, such conditions makes wonders for actual solving the problems of overpopulation with the potential venues and it provides Bernie a ongoing platform for negotiations with all interested parties for every season - and be sure how interests are not in the domain for spending taxpayers money on actual profitable business (because it is not by any mean imaginable) but they serve well for possibly unbelievable schemes of interest by land-owners, local politicians, populists governments, builders guilds and such nice people.

Bernie is a genius, I give him that.

Shaneus

Fuck me, Marko just doesn't know when to shut the fuck up:
Red Bull team advisor Helmut Marko questions Mark Webber's ability to handle pressure
Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko says he doubts Webber has what it takes to cope with the pressures of an F1 title fight.

In a revealing interview with Red Bull's in-house magazine the Red Bulletin, Marko suggested Webber was good enough to win races but struggled for consistency.

"It seems to me that Webber has on average two races per year where he is unbeatable, but he can't maintain this form throughout the year," Marko said.

"And as soon as his prospects start to look good in the world championship, he has a little trouble with the pressure that this creates.

"If some technical mishap occurs, like with the alternator for example, he falls relatively easily into a downward spiral."

It's the latest criticism of the Australian by the Austrian former racer, after comments last week where Marko claimed Webber would continue to play second-fiddle to team-mate Sebastien Vettel.
To be honest, he isn't *that* wrong, but it's not the sort of thing you should be saying about any of your drivers at all, especially when there's such an obvious team focus on one particular driver anyway. Just looks like he wants to increase the distance between the two drivers, not put them on a more equal playing field.

Edit: The comments are interesting, particularly this one:
To the uninitiated: Helmut Marko is an advisor to Red Bull about young driver talent for F1 - and aside from Vettel (and hopefully Ricciardo) not a particularly successful one. Webber was hired under the old-guard and has been a target for Marko ever since, as the Austrian tries to make himself (and Vettel) look better. 2012 saw the development of the car away from Webber's side of the garage when they attempted to replicate the EBD effect that saw Vettel stroll to the 2011 title, something that has not worked well for Mark. Red Bull lack support for Webber on things like starts, strategy (often a guinea pig for the other car) or even a fully-functioning KERS system - but Vettel is permitted to run different configurations in one weekend like China 2012 (funnily enough, the most successful Newey designed cars have worked better for one driver over the other). 2010 actually saw Mark deliver some sterling pressure drives that limited damage - and save for the team not imposing team orders at the critical moments and that lapse in Korea he might have been champion. Marko is out of line talking like this about a current team member - no other team boss would dream of it.

Marko is a tosser, no question.

He's right about Webber and pressure though. As soon as Webber has a sniff of success he goes to pieces.

Adamm

I love to see what his reaction would be if his wonderboy Vettel has a bad season.

Mark isnt the greatest driver on the grid but he deserves more respect than he is getting from him

Top Bottom