• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

mblitek

Currently watching the F1 Drivers Press Conference. Spot the odd man out, Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg, Timo Glock, Nico Hulkenburg and Mark Webber...

Anyone want a link to it?

Chris R

Got My hotel rooms the instant we could book for that date. Staying at Candlewood suites in round rock for 120 a night. And I pre-paid so they can't up the daily rate during admission.

Need to make some reservations to the better barbecue joints around austin, no doubt teams will be wanting to sample some Texas brisket.

I'm going to "The Salt Lick" for sure, also going to be sure to hit up a few of the local places with good happy hours (I live in a place where it is illegal to discount booze :( )

mblitek

I just wanted to post that. At the end they all had a laugh about lewis and his recent break up with nicole last year that was in the press.

No that's not why. They were laughing about the absurdity of the questions that that one and other reporters were asking. Also, the mic problems that Nico, Vettel & Schumacher were joking about.

mclaren777

Mclaren brought a significant update for the German GP. Here's a quick peek at the new sidepod/exhaust design...

iKkhrpmG5TJov.jpg

Heikki wants a top team. Red Bull and Ferrari are out of the question, imo. That leaves McLaren (neither Lewis nor Jenson are 100% confirmed, iirc and Jenson already spoke about a Ferrari option in 2013), Lotus and ... Williams? Not sure if I'd consider Williams as a top team, but they've been better than expected and could be higher up with better drivers.

Jenson is on a multi-year deal, so frankly I'd be absolutely stunned if he ended up elsewhere next year.

I'm fairly sure Jaime has been saying he's certain that he has a race seat for next year since the start of the season, so I expect it will be a midfield team. Ferrari is the only top team I could see him possibly ending up in, but I'd be really surprised if they'd made such an early commitment to someone who they knew was going to be out for a season.

Bottas seems to be a shoe-in at Williams, so unless Maldonado gets the chop, I don't see that happening either. Same with Lotus, unless Grosjean mysteriously goes walkies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Prupose is such a twat. Reading this short article, "Silverstone was not a mistake...I lost the car so it could happen to all drivers." Granted, who knows what the author chose to cut, but it sure comes across like he still doesn't get it.

"At the last race I was very unlucky because I lost the car at the entry of the corner and unfortunately Perez was on the outside of the corner. It's dificult to say, I was not fighting with Perez at that moment, I just defended my position and was on the inside part of the corner. It's a quick corner and the corner was mine at the time, but I got unlucky because I lost the car."

Sigh...I wish the interviewer told him that losing the car isn't about luck when there's nothing mechanically wrong.

Prupose is such a twat. Reading this short article, "Silverstone was not a mistake...I lost the car so it could happen to all drivers." Granted, who knows what the author chose to cut, but it sure comes across like he still doesn't get it.

That collision was such a bloody non-event. The only reason it caused a fuss is because of prior incidents.

AcridMeat

Banned
That collision was such a bloody non-event. The only reason it caused a fuss is because of prior incidents.
I'd have called out any other driver who did the same. If he was a rookie I'd be much more understanding. There were other drivers who fought through that corner the same way without incident. I'm calling attention to it because he doesn't own up to it.

S. L.

Unless Schumacher and/or Massa leave I doubt there will be a whole lot of movement in the driver field

my candidates for Massa seat: Kov, Glock, Sutil(?), Perez (doubt it)
for Schu seat: Di Resta, Glock, ....?

Nolan.

I'm not sure if Lotus tinkering with their version of DRS at this stage is a good idea. I hope it works out for them but it could end up spoiling a good formula. Anyway looking forwards to a drier FP2.

Sloane

Banned
Glock and Sutil? No way. Perez, probably not, considering even Sauber isn't really happy with him. Kovalainen, maybe. Di Resta replacing Schumi could happen but I'm pretty sure he'll stay in F1 for another year or two.

Boring P1 thanks to the rain but the rest of the weekend will probably be dry.

NHale

Jenson is on a multi-year deal, so frankly I'd be absolutely stunned if he ended up elsewhere next year.

I'm fairly sure Jaime has been saying he's certain that he has a race seat for next year since the start of the season, so I expect it will be a midfield team. Ferrari is the only top team I could see him possibly ending up in, but I'd be really surprised if they'd made such an early commitment to someone who they knew was going to be out for a season.

Bottas seems to be a shoe-in at Williams, so unless Maldonado gets the chop, I don't see that happening either. Same with Lotus, unless Grosjean mysteriously goes walkies.

I'm sure Ferrari would be interested if Lotus was crazy enough to replace Grosjean with Alguersuari. And it wouldn't make any sense because Jaime's biggest asset is Cepsa and Lotus already has a deal in place with Total.

Alguersuari is probably going to end up in Caterham or Sauber (I fear for Kamui's future...)

Unless Schumacher and/or Massa leave I doubt there will be a whole lot of movement in the driver field

Sutil will never race in F1 again. Glock has shown absolutely nothing and killed his career when he accepted to drive for Virgin.

But I agree that if Massa and Schummy remain on their teams, the market will change very little, but it seems Heikki and Alguersuari are absolutely sure they will go to a good team next year, so 2 drivers will leave. My guess is Senna and Kamui (where are the Japanese sponsors?).

S. L.

I'm sure Ferrari would be interested if Lotus was crazy enough to replace Grosjean with Alguersuari. And it wouldn't make any sense because Jaime's biggest asset is Cepsa and Lotus already has a deal in place with Total.

Alguersuari is probably going to end up in Caterham or Sauber (I fear for Kamui's future...)

Sutil will never race in F1 again. Glock has shown absolutely nothing and killed his career when he accepted to drive for Virgin.

But I agree that if Massa and Schummy remain on their teams, the market will change very little, but it seems Heikki and Alguersuari are absolutely sure they will go to a good team next year, so 2 drivers will leave. My guess is Senna and Kamui (where are the Japanese sponsors?).
No way Ferrari would want Grosjean, they always said they want an experience proven driver as the second and the talks with Webber prove that it wasn't just talk.
From the current field only Glock and Kov would fit that bill imo. Both have experience from top teams and have constanly easily outpaced their teammates.

Aside from that all upper teams up to Sauber are fairly set in their driver constallation for next year imo (with maybe Grosjean and Kamui not being 100% safe). Below that from FI on it could be a big shuffle and influx of new drivers.

NHale

No way Ferrari would want Grosjean, they always said they want an experience proven driver as the second and the talks with Webber prove that it wasn't just talk.
From the current field only Glock and Kov would fit that bill imo. Both have experience from top teams and have constanly easily outpaced their teammates.

Kovalainen would be a good fit especially if what everyone in the paddock is saying about that rumored Vettel non-binding agreement is indeed true.

ANDY_098

Additional cooling vents probably.

It's a fairly common solution to introduce extra cooling. The engine cover has been removed in the pic so they look like holes, but all you are seeing is the inlet. The engine cover would have the rest of the ducting attached to it channeling the air down to a radiator somewhere.

Correction to me previous posts RE: Lotus inlets

They are part of their new F-Duct system apparently. (Via F1Tech.net)
4Edjg.jpg

h3ro

Yup, looks like Lotus has made their own iteration of Mercedes' DRS.

Further down the pit lane, a crowd of mechanics did their best to prevent cameras from entering the Lotus garage, in which Kimi Räikkönen sat with a much updated E20. The Super DRS in question is not identical to that of Mercedes, instead boosting the rear wing effect by channelling air through holes located on either side of the roll hoop. As the holes in question are too large to be cooling devices, thoughts of Super DRS were immediately evoked.

GP Update Story

Top Bottom