• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Omiee

Anything can still happen thought with a lot of races still to come.

Alonso had a 40 point margin last year as well.
Wait, are you saying posts like

"YEAH VETTEL BABY WOOOO YEAH BEST DRIVER EVER WOOHOOO TOTALLY UNEXPECTED WIN AFTER P1 IN QUALI YEAH, VETTEL BABY GO GO GO"

all the time, would make you hate Vettel? What.

Im sure posts like this:

Vettel on pole: boring race.

Vettel gone, boring race.

Woow vettel has a second gap by the 2nd lap, the race is over.

Are quality posts :)

FuturusX

I like Vettel, but it's pretty clear that he has a serious advantage in that car he's not 15 secs better than Alonso and Hamilton.

Ce-Lin

I suspect that reaction was more about Multi-21 than it was about this race. If so, he only has himself to blame.

he's a great driver with a spaceship at his disposal, crowd disappointment probably steams from Multi-21 and the way the team managed that incident. Poor Mark, but where is he supposed to go this late into his career ?

also Hamilton will have nightmares of Alonso tonight, as I said above I really didn't like the way he tried to puncture the Ferrari, it was so obvious.

the question the average aficionado is still up in the air, RBR... is Vettel that good, Mark that bad or just the car ? same for Ferrari drivers, since we don't know whether they use the same car with same upgrades and team support (obviously not) then I guess whatever conclusion is not completely accurate, Webber has sometimes looked a lot better than Vettel during the past few years, Massa on the other hand...

Omiee

I like Vettel, but it's pretty clear that he has a serious advantage in that car he's not 15 secs better than Alonso and Hamilton.

Webber was 8 seconds behind lewis and alonso in the same car :)

he's a great driver with a spaceship at his disposal, crowd disappointment probably steams from Multi-21 and the way the team managed that incident. Poor Mark, but where is he supposed to go this late into his career ?

also Hamilton will have nightmares of Alonso tonight, as I said above I really didn't like the way he tried to puncture the Ferrari, it was so obvious.

the question the average aficionado is still up in the air, RBR... is Vettel that good, Mark that bad or just the car ? same for Ferrari drivers, since we don't know whether they use the same car with same upgrades and team support (obviously not) then I guess whatever conclusion is not completely accurate, Webber has sometimes looked a lot better than Vettel during the past few years, Massa on the other hand...

Spaceship? you said webber and alonso had the pace to challange vettel for the win. Not a real spaceship if its a close race between it and its competition right?

Omiee

I doubt Alonso would have been anywhere near that far back had he not got held up.

Held up by who actually?

He was behind webber for 1 lap when he was .3 behind him but webber pitted than.

After it alonso was lapping the same pace as webber.

No one was near vettel for the first 35 laps. Vettel was putting purple sectors after purple sectors.

Its all from their saturday embarrassments they have had since 2010.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Um, what? This things happens in racing, cutting somebody and going into his FW. Or braking too late and same thing can happen (check Maldonado vs Sutil in hairpin). If you think that drivers are trying to puncture rear tyres with their FW, turn off your Playstation. There is far bigger chance that you will destroy your FW than puncture his rear tyre.

Ce-Lin

Um, what? This things happens in racing, cutting somebody and going into his FW. Or braking too late and same thing can happen (check Maldonado vs Sutil in hairpin). If you think that drivers are trying to puncture rear tyres with their FW, turn off your Playstation. There is far bigger chance that you will destroy your FW than puncture his rear tyre.

ask Kimi, last season Japanese GP, he punctured Alonso very swiftly using the same antics, top-tier drivers got such a finesse they know how to just "touch" the tyres and puncture without causing damage to their FW.

That might be true, but it all boils down to Ferrari's terrible qualifying pace. And all we get from Domenicali is "we need to work on that". Well, no shit.

so true, Alonso can't work miracles every weekend, he needs p2-p3 to fight that flying RBR for race wins. Also Hamilton and the cheating Merc will be the ones to watch out with the new tyres coming next race, I've been in the dark for the past week, my baby daughter was ill : (

ok onto next race, congrats Vettel and take care you all.

cmr-94

Ok great job from vettel. another great drive but the red bull's is undoubtedly the out and out quickest car.

Lotus just dont have the consistently competitive car and mentality for the championship. alonso must be the only one who can stop vettel unless merc upgrade their tyre wear massively

FuturusX

Webber was 8 seconds behind lewis and alonso in the same car :)

Spaceship? you said webber and alonso had the pace to challange vettel for the win. Not a real spaceship if its a close race between it and its competition right?

Webber was held up by the pack and Webber is not Hamilton or Alonso. Vettel had clean air.

Credit were credit is due, he is fast and a great driver, but the technical gap between his rivals is there which makes a full appraisal of his skills difficult.

TylerD

Vettel! Dude is a great driver inba great car. Looking like his championship to lose.

McLaren have successfully birthed another full blown silver donkey. Doesn't look like they are recovering this year.

Omiee

Webber was held up by the pack and Webber is not Hamilton or Alonso. Vettel had clean air.

Credit were credit is due, he is fast and a great driver, but the technical gap between his rivals is there which makes a full appraisal of his skills difficult.

Ferrari have had the fastest car in the race since day one it only changed in bahrain but ferrari had the best car again in spain with slow pace in monaco.

The gap between ferrari and rbr is not that big and is changing sides every race.

dubc35

Wow, missed the race but watching post race on NBC now. Came in this thread, glad I missed the gp. ...but now 3 weeks until silverstone.

I don't have all times in my head but a gap of 10-15s is pretty normal even for races without Vettel as winner.

TylerD

It felt like NBC didn't miss a single ad break where they weren't doing side by side. Watching the post race now and interested to see 36 hours with Seb after.

Shaneus

Talking about Webber here. There's no chance of any credit no matter how much is due when coming from Omiee.

Let's not forget that Vettel made to pretty glaring, completely unforced errors on the track. Don't remember seeing Webber do that today.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
ask Kimi, last season Japanese GP, he punctured Alonso very swiftly using the same antics, top-tier drivers got such a finesse they know how to just "touch" the tyres and puncture without causing damage to their FW.
Or should I ask Alonso,as he (tinfoil hat mode ON) tried to do this to Vettel in Malaysia (tinfoil hat mode OFF), only to get badly burned himself?

Wait you guys think Lewis really did try to puncture Alonso his tyre on prupose ?

Not a fan of Lewis, but don't think he need would try that. Vettel on the other hand would totally do that! He's so evil! AND GERMAN!

FuturusX

I don't have all times in my head but a gap of 10-15s is pretty normal even for races without Vettel as winner.

Perhaps - RBR looks much better on the tires now which means they'll be though to catch.
Ferrari have had the fastest car in the race since day one it only changed in bahrain but ferrari had the best car again in spain with slow pace in monaco.

The gap between ferrari and rbr is not that big and is changing sides every race.

At the start of the season Ferrari had the pace and made some poor decisions for sure. But the gap looks there now at least in qualifying. RBR will take some stopping.

Omiee

Wait you guys think Lewis really did try to puncture Alonso his tyre on prupose ?

Not a fan of Lewis, but don't think he need would try that. Vettel on the other hand would totally do that! He's so evil! AND GERMAN!

Haha username quote if possible. The hate for our neighbors =P

Now I know why you don't post in GermanGAF anymore.

Perhaps - RBR looks much better on the tires now which means they'll be though to catch.

At the start of the season Ferrari had the pace and made some poor decisions for sure. But the gap looks there now at least in qualifying. RBR will take some stopping.

It's almost like team aren't developing their cars over the season.

Mastah

Alonso:

"It was nice to have these battles, a big race with some talented drivers," he said.

"Intelligent drivers that you fight wheel-to-wheel with at 320km/h and you feel safe.

"This is real racing so I am very happy to see this back after Monaco, which was a little bit different."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107995

Yep, Fernando, it's not like Lewis damaged his front wing on your rear tyre, that was more intelligent than clean overtake by Checo in Monaco, LOL.

Omiee

Sarcasm.

Anyway Alonso has been fast at silverstone the last few years. Should be an interesting weekend.

The wait will kill me =( off to watch season review of the 90's

Well, the 16s can be easily explained with clean air vs. fighting for positions and the fact that Vettel likes to drive so fast as possible until the end - and Canada don't kill the tires like other tracks.
If you compare times today, The Ferrari and Red Bull were on par in clean air. I think if Ferrari still have the adventage of handling the tires better then they will be ahead of Red Bull in Silverstone

Omiee

Seriously though who expected hamilton to be fighting for podiums and mclaren to be fighting force india for points?

What a turn around this has been.

Business

Alonso:

Yep, Fernando, it's not like Lewis damaged his front wing on your rear tyre, that was more intelligent than clean overtake by Checo in Monaco, LOL.

You should be able to see a difference between the Webber/Alonso and Hamilton/Alonso battles today and the way Perez approached overtaking in Monaco.

ramparter

Banned
Worst race I can remember from Kimi. What the hell happened? Rain setup?

As greek broadcaster pointed out, maybe Lotus don't have the money to continue developing the car and so are already falling behind.

Anyway, awesome race by Alonso, didn't expect to see him catching Lewis. I still have many hopes for this championship.

GuessWho

8999380949_f865cc9dc4.jpg

Top Bottom