• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Zeknurn

DHL confirm the news on their Facebook account!!

https://www.facebook.com/f1backstage

Where? All I see is speculation.

@WilliamsF1Team: The new @FIAformulaE car has just been launched in Frankfurt that will use @williamsadveng batteries. Looking good! http://t.co/J8Py8AKPXc
BTykgYFCAAAPRjQ.jpg:large

More
http://www.fiaformulae.com/news/formula-e-unveils-new-car
FIA President Jean Todt and Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E Holdings, today (September, 10)revealed the much-anticipated new Spark-Renault SRT_01E fully-electric single-seater during the opening day of the prestigious 65th International Frankfurt Motor Show.
Watched by invited guests and members of the press, the SRT_01E has been designed and built by Spark Racing Technology, headed by the renowned Frédéric Vasseur, together with a consortium of the leading manufacturers in motorsport, and will compete in the inaugural FIA Formula E Championship - the world’s first global electric race series beginning in September 2014.
Using the very latest technology, the SRT_01E aims to push the boundaries of what is currently achievable in electric motorsport, whilst ensuring a balance between cost-effectiveness and sustainability, in addition to coping with the demands of racing entirely on city-centre circuits.
The car’s monocoque chassis has been constructed by leading Italian firm Dallara and has been aerodynamically designed to aid overtaking. Made from carbon fibre and aluminium, the chassis will fully comply with the 2014 FIA crash tests.
Providing the electric motor, gearbox and electronics is McLaren Electronics Systems, the world leader in high- performance technology for motorsport. Williams Advanced Engineering, part of the Williams group of companies that includes the world famous Williams F1 Team, is responsible for the design and supply of the batteries and their battery management systems; producing 200kw (the equivalent of 270bhp).
Overseeing all the systems integration, performance optimisation and powertrain electrical safety is Formula E’s Technical Partner Renault, a leader in electric vehicles and an expert in motorsport thanks to its Renault Sport Technologies and Renault Sport F1 programmes. Meanwhile, custom made 18-inch treaded tyres have been created by Official Tyre Partner Michelin, with just one durable tyre to cater for both wet and dry conditions and helping to reduce overall costs and promote sustainability.
“I congratulate all partners involved in the production of the fully-electric SRT_01E car – it is a fantastic achievement,” said FIA President Jean Todt. “The innovative technology deployed follows the best environmental practices, highlighting the potential of the Formula E Championship to spark a revolution in the development of new electromobility systems, not just for motorsport but also for everyday use. This new championship builds on the FIA’s traditional role as a leading promoter of innovation, technology and performance in the automotive sector.”

The car, which has been 10 months in the making, will be used by all 10 teams and 20 drivers competing in the new zero emission series although only for the first season as Formula E is an ‘open championship’ designed to encourage manufacturers to build their own car to help accelerate R&D around the electric vehicle. A total of 42 cars will be produced by Spark with each driver using two cars during the one hour races.
Alejandro Agag, CEO of Championship promoter Formula E Holdings, said: “With Formula E being an open championship, the series gives manufacturers the opportunity to showcase their electrical energy innovations and we’re delighted to have Spark Racing Technology as the first, and for them to produce our new fully-electric Formula E car. Spark has enlisted the very best companies in motorsport to aid with its development, with Dallara, Renault, McLaren, Williams and Michelin all leaders in their respective fields and it’s an honour to welcome them here today. The Frankfurt Motor Show is also the perfect environment to reveal our new car. Many leading manufacturers at the Show today are unveiling their new electric road cars but not just one offs, full car ranges, demonstrating how times have changed and why the time is right to launch the new FIA Formula E Championship.”
Frédéric Vasseur, President of Spark Racing Technology, added: “I am extremely proud and happy to work with the partners Spark has gathered together to form this unique consortium, a first in the history of motorsport. I regard each and every one of these partners with the highest esteem, I have worked with them throughout my career and they have accompanied me in a lot of the successes I have been fortunate to achieve in my other activities in traditional motorsport. All consortium members are driven by a motivation to make this innovative project a success.”
Patrice Ratti, CEO of Renault Sport Technologies, said: “As a global leader for the production of electric vehicles and with a unique expertise in motorsports ever since the company was founded, the choice of Renault as technical partner to develop the fully-electric SRT_01E car for the FIA Formula E championship was obvious. Renault engineers and motorsport experts are directly contributing to the overall powertrain architecture and are in charge of electric systems' specifications and integration, benefiting from the experience acquired while developing the new 2014 Renault-Energy-F1 Power Unit. Renault is also working with Spark to enhance the performance and safety level of the SRT_01E car powertrain. The objective is to design an outstanding race car that will be clean, reliable, safe as well as fast and responsive.”
Peter van Manen, Managing Director of McLaren Electronic Systems, said: “These cars are going to be brilliant racing through the centres of cities. Electric motors deliver instant torque and acceleration and that is what McLaren is all about. Performance and efficiency. Our electric motor, developed originally for the McLaren P1™, has the highest power-to-weight ratio in the world. McLaren is proud to provide the performance behind Formula E.”
Sir Frank Williams, Founder and Team Principal of Williams, commented; "Motorsport is moving towards a greener future and the FIA Formula E Championship will be a prime opportunity to showcase the latest green technology that has its origins in motor racing. Williams has a track record in developing hybrid technologies and we are proud to be supplying the battery and battery management system for the car that is being launched today. These components will be a pivotal part of what makes the car so green and the team at Williams Advanced Engineering is working hard to develop a battery system that is reliable and makes for excellent racing."
Andrea Pontremoli, CEO of Dallara Automobili, said: “With our single-seater cars running successfully in the most important categories and championships all over the world, we could not lose the opportunity to be part of the new Formula E exciting challenge and we are very thankful to our long term partner Frédéric Vasseur for the credit he gave us. We will use all our experience and know how to design and build the best possible chassis in terms of performance, reliability, ease of use and safety. The safety aspect is particularly important for us and we are working hard with Spark and the FIA to set new safety standards for such an innovative championship.”
Pascal Couasnon, Director of Michelin Motorsport, added: “Michelin is the official tyre supplier to the FIA Formula E Championship for the next three years [2013 to 2015]. This new discipline is of special interest to Michelin because it is a means to work on the design of efficient tyres to optimise the range of the formula’s single-seater cars. These solutions need to be extremely versatile in order to adapt to different weather conditions without losing any of their pedigree as genuine racing tyres. For Michelin, it is an additional opportunity to carry over the innovations developed for motorsport from the race track to the street.”
As well as Jean Todt and Alejandro Agag, the launch event was also attended by representatives from all the Championship’s partners, sponsors and teams together with development driver Lucas di Grassi and newly-announced Racing Ambassador Gil de Ferran.
The SRT_01E will now remain at the Frankfurt Motor Show for the duration of the event, with a duplicate car also on display at the FIA Mobility Conference in The Hague on Tuesday, 11th September. After that it will undergo a stringent FIA crash test followed by an extensive testing programme.
New_car_1.jpg

New_car_2.jpg

New_car_3.jpg

New_car_4.jpg

New_car_5.jpg

Hammer24

Banned
Everyone thought the same thing regarding Kimi going to Ferrari. "He would never accept Ferrari after the way the get rid of him. He hates LdM." and now we are days away from him being announced as Ferrari driver for 2014.

Never say never...

Sadly, there is truth to that.

Shaneus

Know what? Fuck it, I reckon that's a good looking car. Other than the front wings wrapping around the tyres, that looks a little odd. But the rest, I like.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Not bad. what's the range of those cars?

Not very far, they've said to start with the races will be an hour long and the drivers will be swapping cars part way through. Which makes the whole thing sound like a bit of a joke.

Though the future of it is more interesting, they think battery tech will improve so it will at least only be a 1 car race by the second season, and then further down the line Qualcomm are talking about on track wireless charging (F zero like) which would be amazing.

Shaneus

I wonder if turbines could be used as well? You'd think that with turbine generators coupled with KERS and maybe solar panels could squeeze some more life out of them.

There's always this, too:
UXGYoiw.png

Addnan

Does Raikkonen really not ever use the simulator? Does he even keep fit lol, or just vodka and ice cream with the ton of money he gets paid and then just goes and drives on the weekend.

Imagine what he could do if he gave a shit. Heh.

Orgun

It finally happened, I didn't bother to watch the race I just checked the results and some highlight clips. Goddamn dominating teams.

Ooh that Formula E car looks sexy, actually looking forward to those races.

NHale

All things considered, I wonder how long will it take, from the start of the new season with the superteam, until Fernando goes off on one of his implosions? 30, 60, 90 days?

It depends. If he beats Kimi convincingly this will only serve to increase his self-confidence even more... If he doesn't then he will be crying and screaming after Malaysia.

The biggest problem from the Alonso standpoint (and rightfully so) is that this announcement is basically the way LdM had of saying he lost his power inside the team and this is just a repeat of the Schumacher era. During his reign on the top he always had the power of chosing who he wanted on the #2 car and after 2 years where he didn't win a WDC, Schumacher suddenly "retired" because LdM did to him what he's doing to Alonso now: Schummy wanted Valentino Rossi or Felipe Massa and LdM basically said no and hired Kimi against Schummy wishes. Since Schumacher didn't accepted it, LdM put a press release in the middle of Italian GP saying Schumacher was going to retire and Kimi would be a Ferrari driver next year.

From his recent reactions it seems Alonso is afraid he will never regain the power he once had and his wishes of "retiring" at Ferrari will not materialize.

TCRS

Banned
Ungrateful cunts. It's only because of Alonsos talent that Ferrari is still in the race for the WDC title, the car and the leadership itself are utter shite.

Does Raikkonen really not ever use the simulator? Does he even keep fit lol, or just vodka and ice cream with the ton of money he gets paid and then just goes and drives on the weekend.

Imagine what he could do if he gave a shit. Heh.

Kimi not giving a shit is a total exaggeration from the media. His trainer always says he's very fit and prior to negotiating a deal to come back to F1 he was training extremely hard and his only worry was the neck where you can only train it by driving with the same levels of G-force.

As for the simulator, he doesn't use it and he says "I don't like playstation". However, he can quickly learn a circuit so I don't think he's losing much if he doesn't

NHale

Ungrateful cunts. It's only because of Alonsos talent that Ferrari is still in the race for the WDC title, the car and the leadership itself are utter shite.

LdM mantra is that drivers come and go while Ferrari remains.

This is the guy that forced Michael Schumacher to retire after what he achieved at Ferrari, so firing Alonso is easy.

Because Alonso didn't throw away the WDC by silly mistakes in 2010... :|

What silly mistakes?

Kimi not giving a shit is a total exaggeration from the media. His trainer always says he's very fit and prior to negotiating a deal to come back to F1 he was training extremely hard and his only worry was the neck where you can only train it by driving with the same levels of G-force.

As for the simulator, he doesn't use it and he says "I don't like playstation". However, he can quickly learn a circuit so I don't think he's losing much if he doesn't

Since when the simulator is only used to learn a circuit? This is not the 90's...

It always feels to me that people really exaggerate the shitness of Ferraris car. Ferrari currently has the second best car in the F1. Redbull just is way ahead of others.

NHale

It always feels to me that people really exaggerate the shitness of Ferraris car. Ferrari currently has the second best car in the F1. Redbull just is way ahead of others.

Mercedes has the 2nd best car this year not Ferrari, but yes this year people are using that excuse a little too much.

Maybe it's because of last year when Ferrari started the championship with the 7th fastest car on the grid and finished it with the 3rd fastest and still Alonso finished only 3 points behind Vettel.

LdM mantra is that drivers come and go while Ferrari remains.

This is the guy that forced Michael Schumacher to retire after what he achieved at Ferrari, so firing Alonso is easy.

1) What silly mistakes?

2) Since when the simulator is only used to learn a circuit? This is not the 90's...

1) Jump start, Monaco crash, getting overtaken by mclarens behind lapped cars in Canada.. could be more but I think those are enough

2) Well, i don't really know. If it's used for race strategy, then one driver can be enough. that's why the test drivers exist I think. But again, I'm not undermining the importance of the simulators, I'm just saying I don't think he'll have a big disadvantage for not using them

Kulta has something to say

F1 | Turun Sanomat 11:02

Monza paddock was buzzing on Sunday evening, more and more certain that Räikkönen will return to Maranello next season, no matter how much against it Alonso would be.

Italian sources claim that they will first inform Massa and after that Ferrari is expected to confirm their drivers next season.

di Montezemolo has assured that there will be no problems, but Alonso's Flavio Briatore tried to put Räikkönen down before it was even confirmed, by telling the Italian media that Kimi is good but not on the same level as Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton, hence there would not be two roosters in the henhouse.

LdM replied to that like this:

– Flavio is a funny man, but his opinions are just his opinions, di Montezemolo said after hearing about Flavio's comment.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/532

When did Dominicali said his dream team would be Kimi and Alonso?

and was it around that time when Kimi said "my decision might look stupid to some people"?

Do you think Kimi made his decision to go to Ferrari before or after Redbull's announcement? I know his manager was the one who came publicly saying we stopped talking to Redbull

So many Qs. What would be funny is if Ferrari confirms Massa after all of this..

http://www.suomif1.com/2013/09/kimi...-nopeasti-sopuun-muista-ehdoista-vaannettiin/

getty_raikkonenkimi10172009.jpg

Points from Pekka Franck of SuomiF1 made by our foreign correspondent:

- Ferrari and Kimi agreed quickly upon money. They had to twist about other clauses for a little longer, the source reveals to SuomiF1.
There are in-built parts in the contract which aren’t necessarily found from so called ‘normal’ contracts. There has been discussion about Räikkönen’s obligations to PR-jobs outside the races, but also the date of when the contract will be announced has been specified in detail.

- It says in the contract that Räikkönen decides when to announce the contract, our source told a while ago.
They have also built other conditions concerning the announcement. The big picture describes very well how detailed the paper is – to the last small detail.

- As for announcing the contract it gets really complex. Kimi gets to decide when it’s announced, Ferrari again gets to decide where it’s announced and also in which way, in a big press event or just by a bulletin, our source tells.

- As for the announcement itself, Räikkönen pushed through the demand that he doesn’t have to be present in a possible press event. Maybe one can draw the conclusion that Kimi really appreciates his free time, our source laughs.
Pekka Franck (Twitter @PekkaFranck)

NHale

When did Dominicali said his dream team would be Kimi and Alonso?

Did he? Strange because this weekend he was bargaining publicly for Massa to remain at Ferrari.

Do you think Kimi made his decision to go to Ferrari before or after Redbull's announcement? I know his manager was the one who came publicly saying we stopped talking to Redbull

David Robertson is a smart guy so I would guess he started talking with Ferrari at the same time he started talking with Red Bull. He wouldn't be able to continue to pull tricks out of his hat if he didn't played his cards right.

In 2006 everyone thought Kimi was stuck with McLaren because there was no empty spots for him. Ron Dennis thought the same and offered a contract with a pay cut on Kimi's salary because he was convinced Kimi had no other option. Meanwhile David Robertson was already negotiating with LdM...

2 years ago, Kimi almost signed with Williams but David Robertson was using Williams to increase the offer from Lotus.

Now he basically pulled this out of his ass because nobody ever thought Kimi would return to Ferrari after what LdM did to him and how unhappy he was during his Ferrari days.

Mercedes has the 2nd best car this year not Ferrari, but yes this year people are using that excuse a little too much.

Maybe it's because of last year when Ferrari started the championship with the 7th fastest car on the grid and finished it with the 3rd fastest and still Alonso finished only 3 points behind Vettel.

Well yeah. Behind redbull it still feels that it depends on the circuit what is the second best car. Lotus have been pretty shit for two races but before that it was podium car. Ferrari was shit in hungary but now again podium car. But yeah maybe the Mercedes is second best at the moment. Hamilton just blew the qualifying now in Italy.

Did he? Strange because this weekend he was bargaining publicly for Massa to remain at Ferrari.

Yes. He was asked, if you would choose 2 drivers for your own team who would they be. He answered Kimi and Alonso

Internet is going crazy over this..

http://kimiraikkonenspace.com/category/2013-news/
Q: Could you really imagine another Ferrari adventure? At least you’ve managed to do what Alonso is still attempting to do: to win the title for Ferrari…
KR: I had a good time at Ferrari and only the end went a different way – but that’s how things sometimes go. No hard feelings. And time will tell what I am doing next year.

Q: When will that be?
KR: When I have a contract.

Q: A driver line-up of Alonso and Raikkonen would definitely add to the excitement of a season, both in and outside the car. But why would Alonso nod through having you as his team mate?
KR: Go ask him! But I don’t think that he is the one to decide who is racing for Ferrari.

Lotus ready with plan B

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has confirmed Hulkenberg is on the team's shortlist, but expects there to be competition from rival teams.

"He had a good weekend and we know Nico is quite a good driver and fast," said Boullier after the Italian Grand Prix.

"I have known him for a long time, since he was in Formula BMW.

"Nico is also on the shortlist of Ferrari, from what I understand.

"So we all have plans, if the first one is removed, there will be a b-plan."

Alonso will accept Ferrari's 2014 decision as Raikkonen talk grows

There has been talk that Alonso is unhappy about the mooted arrival of Raikkonen because of the potential compromises it would have on his own championship hopes.

However, despite widespread rumours that he was considering options elsewhere, Alonso insisted that Ferrari was his focus.

"It's a way of living," he said. "My team, my second family, my friends."

ok, that's it.. Massa is out for sure
jk

I missed the race this weekend. Should I bother or was it just another Spa?

Also, the Formula E car looks great. Can't wait to see the first few races.

kharma45

https://twitter.com/Felipe1Massa/status/377502694640201728

From 2014 i will no longer be driving for Ferrari. I would like to thank the team for all the… http://instagram.com/p/eFyM4QHLf1/

Full quote

From 2014 i will no longer be driving for Ferrari. I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together. Thank you also to my wife and all of my family, to my fans and all my Sponsors. From each one of you I have always received a great support! Right now I want to push as hard as possible with Ferrari for the remaining 7 races. For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the Championship which remains my greatest objective! Thank you all. Felipe

He was a nice guy but understandable, his performances were not up to bar after his accident.

Leunam

Well it's a damned shame that he couldn't completely recover from the accident and deliver results for his own sake, but good luck to him all the same.

Addnan

I hope he gets a drive in 2014. He's a nice enough guy and I was rooting for him in 2008 and was pretty gutted at the end of Brazil.

TCRS

Banned
I've been saying for quite some time that Massa has to go, but now I'm kind of sad.. :/ He did almost win the WDC title.

Road

Not a single brazilian driver in 2014 is saddening. =c

That would be the first in I have no idea how many, but at least 30 years. I'm only worried about what Globo will do with the coverage...

Massa was never a top pilot, but he had his time. His F1 career "ended" after the accident that much became clear after the first season. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

DD

Massa never said he'd leave F1, just that he's going to leave Ferrari at the end of this season.
I don't see him getting a seat for 2014. =/

That would be the first in I have no idea how many, but at least 30 years. I'm only worried about what Globo will do with the coverage...

Massa was never a top pilot, but he had his time. His F1 career "ended" after the accident that much became clear after the first season. Good luck to him wherever he goes.
Yep. =/

Massa never said he'd leave F1, just that he's going to leave Ferrari at the end of this season.

I'm pretty sure he's said in recent years that he's not interested in going back down the grid, but even if he did, that's no guarantee that he still feels that. Personally, I think he'd be far better off moving to a series in which he has a chance of winning races.

His end was inevitable. I actually give Ferrari props for sticking with him for a while after his accident from which he never really recovered from.

Best of luck Felipe. You were an awesome driver before your accident. Very fearless in high speed corners.

Not a single brazilian driver in 2014 is saddening. =c

It is indeed. Felipe Nasr's had a solid second second in GP2 but there are so few seats and there are also a number of drivers in lower Formulae already attached to teams who are first in line. It seems unlikely he'll make the step up for next year unless he can secure serious financial backing, but perhaps a hope for 2015/16.

I feel a bit sad for Massa. He comes across as being too nice in a sport where you have to be ruthless to win. He hasn't been as good after his accident and I don't think being teammate with Alonso who demands being #1 has helped his confidence either.

He was as close as you can get to being world champion and if Renault hadn't cheated in Singapore he would most likely have won that season.

Addnan

Can Massa get backing from people in Brazil? Money kinda backing. There are a lot of midfield teams that could do with a decent driver that comes with money.

Can Massa get backing from people in Brazil? Money kinda backing. There are a lot of midfield teams that could do with a decent driver that comes with money.

Which teams though? Sauber are fully loaded up with Mexican and Russian money, Force India seem stable enough, Toro Rosso will promote from the Red Bull Driver Academy. Perhaps Williams if Maldonado is now unable to rely on state funding, but otherwise there aren't that many opportunities about.

Top Bottom