• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

dalin80

Banned
This could be due to car set-up - Lewis had quite a botched FP3, so this could explain not optimal setup. Pressure in tyres is another possible reason. Or a little less fuel in his tank.

On race overlay, HAM fuel saving is evident from lap 30 to 36

Every time the fuel usage graph popped up on the screen Lewis had used less then Rosberg so I don't think he was using that much more, if the engine really was thirstier then he was doing a great job of fuel saving and lapping with great pace.

Draconian

That penalty to Grosjean was such a joke. If it had been anybody other than a Marussia that he'd hit, he'd have gotten a much harsher penalty, which is what he deserved.

Mastah

Damn Honda, not only it's slow as hell on straights, but also thirsty. No wonder Fred didn't want to participate in ridiculous lift-and-coasting while racing other cars, at least he gave Vettel something to think about, which put a smile on my face. But then another double DNF, what on earth...

I think there will be collective head scratching if Ferrari re-signs for another year. To spin in exactly the same place in exactly the same circumstances 2 years in a row in 2 very different cars is just inexcusable. Bring on Bottas, Ricciardo or Hulkenberg.

Damn Honda, not only it's slow as hell on straights, but also thirsty. No wonder Fred didn't want to participate in ridiculous lift-and-coasting while racing other cars, at least he gave Vettel something to think about, which put a smile on my face. But then another double DNF, what on earth...

I think there will be collective head scratching if Ferrari re-signs for another year. To spin in exactly the same place in exactly the same circumstances 2 years in a row in 2 very different cars is just inexcusable. Bring on Bottas, Ricciardo or Hulkenberg.
Yeah, i really like Hülkenberg, solid driver too ... a shame that he is limited to those "tier 2"-cars/teams.
But i doubt that he is going to get a seat in a top-team, guy is really big and heavier than the other drivers, naturally handicapped for the driver-job ... a darn shame.

Dilly

Banned
Kimi is no better than Massa in his last years at Ferrari.

Consistently slower than his teammate, uninspired driving and boring to watch.

Aiii

So not worth it
The only reason Kimi is driving this year is because of Bianchi's accident, lets be honest. Bottas seems the logical choice to step in next year and Ferrari would be stupid to not make a play for the guy, but Vettel will probably resist having a driver of that caliber next to him. So Hulk actually does make sense, I'd say Perez too, for that seat next to Vettel next year.

If Ferrari doesn't want anyone to challenge Vettel why would they ditch Kimi after this year? Outside of couple of races he has still brought pretty much maximum amount of points to the team (finishing just behind Vettel). It's not like last year where he was light years away from Alonso in pretty much every race.

Aiii

So not worth it
If Ferrari doesn't want anyone to challenge Vettel why would they ditch Kimi after this year? Outside of couple of races he has still brought pretty much maximum amount of points to the team (finishing just behind Vettel). It's not like last year where he was light years away from Alonso in pretty much every race.

Why pay for a former world champion when you can pay for a (relative) rookie?

Nyx

That penalty to Grosjean was such a joke. If it had been anybody other than a Marussia that he'd hit, he'd have gotten a much harsher penalty, which is what he deserved.

I laughed out loud at his error after his bitching to Max in Monaco...

DBT85

Because they can see how the former champion is competing against their number 1. They don't want a Alonso/Hamilton year like Mclaren had, which could happen with a solid driver like Hulk, Bottas or Ricciardo.

Of the three I think Hulk needs a decent car more than anyone, it's time he had a good car.

Why risk the current harmony? Currently Vettel is happy as he is beating his teammate (not to mention being friends with him) and Kimi still usually brings solid points from the races as he is still pretty good race driver who doesn't make stupid mistakes. Not to mention he would retire after next year anyway and after that they could bring some fresh blood. I still think he is the most safest choice for Ferrari for one extra year.

Aiii

So not worth it
I laughed when they put his radio message "He hit me, he hit me!!". It's Grosjean, but still baffling.

Stevens' deadpan "he always does this" was even more perfect.

---

Anyways, we just had a boring Canadian GP, how the hell do you ruin a sport so much that one of the most entertaining GP's of the year gets boring. The only thing of note was Vettel overtaking some slower guys. I think there were only one or two other people that managed an overtake and one of them was Verstappen, who like Vettel started behind slower cars due to penalties, so it wasn't like there was any real overtaking there either.

All in all a great demonstration of everything wrong with F1 atm.

Main culprits remain the ridiculous tires that require "management" and the stupid engine rules that guarantee nobody can catch up to a superior engine for fucking years. Seeing the Red Bulls and Toro Rosso's completely unable to overtake because half the grid is on Mercedes engines and they just can't get within overtaking range after a straight is ridiculous. In 1998 every race was a gamble of "who has the better engine this race?" or "whose tires work better on this track?"

It's great that they want to cut costs and what not, I get it, but if you're gonna do that then, for the love of god, just have a one-size-fits-all solution where everyone has the exact same engine power and internals and actually have some goddamn wheel to wheel racing.

End of rant.

Doesn't bode well for a F1 season when the Canadian GP is a snooze fest. The Codemasters game that would really capture the excitement of the sport would be, "F1 2015 Fuel and Tire Management Simulator."

Kimi is really dragging his once legendary F1 status slowly into the mud. His drives have been uninspired for a while now but seeing him give up a podium from a unforced spin is just sad to see. His radio communications are anything but iceman these days too. Oh well, I still love the guy for how weird he is and how amazing he was in the McLaren and his championship Ferrari season.

Speaking of radio conversations, the only thing more broken than a Honda engine is Alonso and Button's spirits. Man, it is rough hearing them on the radio. They are both so frustrated and depressed. I would be too, this is one of the worst F1 cars from a major team in a long time.

Ark

Canada has been boring before, this isn't anything new.

The biggest problem lies in the engine freeze. The manufacturers should be given a year to freely test and upgrade their power units.

Massa

The problem is that Renault and Honda royally fucked up. I don't think the freeze is the issue when they can't even get reliability right at this point, with unused tokens and all.

Tubie

I think it's safe to say Hamilton will win 2 more (3 more?) championships because Merc is not falling behind anyone as long as F1 uses the 1.6l turbo engines. The rules simply won't allow anyone to catch up.

Damn Honda, not only it's slow as hell on straights, but also thirsty.

When the ERS is broken this is the result. Honda used two tokens on two parts which rules out the total replacement of mgu h and k as they're two tokens a piece.

This is good news, when these are token upgraded McLaren will be podium contenders , full efficient usable hybrid power, no more heavy fuel saving gimped maps, quicker out of the corners, faster down the straights, the good times are coming.

Dilly

Banned
When the ERS is broken this is the result. Honda used two tokens on two parts which rules out the total replacement of mgu h and k as they're two tokens a piece.

This is good news, when these are token upgraded McLaren will be podium contenders , full efficient usable hybrid power, no more heavy fuel saving gimped maps, quicker out of the corners, faster down the straights, the good times are coming.

And uhm, when exactly is this going to be?

I'm not quite sure how the engine development ban works but I have a question.

In a year or two the engines will be locked from any further development whatsoever right? So if Mercedes remains the best engine by far, it's all over?

itsgreen

In a year or two the engines will be locked from any further development whatsoever right? So if Mercedes remains the best engine by far, it's all over?

Yes.

But it is hard to imagine that happening...

Also 2018 and 2019 is when they are really clamping down on development...

Ark

If the others haven't caught up by then, the FIA will allow the stragglers to catch up, the same as they've done with Renault in the past.

dalin80

Banned
If the others haven't caught up by then, the FIA will allow the stragglers to catch up, the same as they've done with Renault in the past.

Yep allowances have always been made for those who ended up too far behind the curve. But that is the sensible thing to do and as such does run against the grain of modern F1.

Shaneus

Doesn't bode well for a F1 season when the Canadian GP is a snooze fest. The Codemasters game that would really capture the excitement of the sport would be, "F1 2015 Fuel and Tire Management Simulator."
Yeah, that's what I thought at the end of it (I watched the replay via the Starsports app on my iPad). Hell, I skipped laps about 40-65 and don't think I missed much at all.

And poor fucking Danny Ricky. What a goddamned turd of a car. Wonder if Newey will make a comeback for next year to see if they can offset that POS Renault.

DBT85

As far as I remember Newey was involved in this years car. He still works there.

It's not until 2018 and 19 that things really get locked down.

But I've no doubt things will change before we get that far. With Bernie bitching about noise, Renault and Honda struggling so hugely, no incentive for a new supplier to join in and have a more restricted entry, something will change.

By that time at the current rate it'll be a Merc v Ferrari formula, and since neither Williams or Lotus have the budget to challenge them it'll stay that way.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Newey is done with F1 for quite some time. And with RBR 'oh Renault suck and we will leave F1 yadadada' attitude I do not see his return.

And to be honest, I really enjoy watching them struggle.

Damn:

CHAwH7hXEAAFO5P.jpg

Kimi on #Autosprint cover: "All show no substance"

Damn:

CHAwH7hXEAAFO5P.jpg

Kimi on #Autosprint cover: "All show no substance"
The moment I saw that spin I knew the press would kick his ass. I like Kimi, but he hasn't been a top driver for years. He was flattered by Allison's Lotus' in my opinion as well. If McLaren didn't have a clusterfuck of a situation in 2007 he wouldn't have even been a world champion, but I guess that's just karma evening out since he was screwed out of a championship due to exploding McLaren's at the time.
It's time for Kimi to
Street%20Fighter%20II%20%20The%20World%20Warrior_Apr20%2012_42_31.png

dubc35

For the first time in ever an upcoming LeMans Weekend excites me more than an upcoming F1 weekend...
Agreed, I'm trying to decide how much time I want to invest in F1 in the future. I've been a fan for about 6 or so years. In that time I've seen Brawn dominate, RBR dominate, and now Mercedes dominate. Maybe I'll tune in each time the formula changes to see who dominates but other than that I'll just lift and coast.

Agreed, I'm trying to decide how much time I want to invest in F1 in the future. I've been a fan for about 6 or so years. In that time I've seen Brawn dominate, RBR dominate, and now Mercedes dominate. Maybe I'll tune in each time the formula changes to see who dominates but other than that I'll just lift and coast.

You haven't seen 1988, 1992, 1998, 2002... domination has been at the center of F1 forever.

Late 80s - Early 90s - McLaren (Mercedes-type domination)
Mid 90s - Williams (Mercedes-type domination)
Late 90s - McLaren (Schumacher made it competitive more often than not, though)
Early - Mid 00s - Ferrari (Mercedes-type domination in 2001/2002/2004 more often than not)
Early 00s - Red Bull (Mercedes-type domination at times in 2011 and 2013 when not limited by Pirelli tyres)

Ark

As ksharp said, that is literally the very nature of Formula 1. Nothing so far though has been as bad dull the Schumacher years, although tbf the Schumacher years had Montoya.

There are a million reasons to be more excited for Le Mans, but lack of domination isn't one of them!

In that time I've seen Brawn dominate, RBR dominate, and now Mercedes dominate.

As ksharp said, that is literally the very nature of Formula 1. Nothing so far though has been as bad dull the Schumacher years, although tbf the Schumacher years had Montoya.

Audi's domination of Le Mans started the same year Michael won his first Championship for Ferrari, and has continued virtually unabated through the Renault years, Lewis, Kimi, Brawn, Red Bull, Merc.

Total, and utter domination.

Porsche will win this year though!

I wouldn't call winning each race dominating, the same goes for F1. Some of the races they won were extremely close, and some were flat out flukes.

Audi's domination of Le Mans started the same year Michael won his first Championship for Ferrari, and has continued virtually unabated through the Renault years, Lewis, Kimi, Brawn, Red Bull, Merc.

Total, and utter domination.

Porsche will win this year though!

b-b-but Schumi/Vettel/Hamilton domination eras is boring and Audi dominating the WEC for 15 years is "exciting" /s

I have no interest watching this weekends Le Mans for the same reason its been for over a decade now.

4(6?) Audis will lead the race from start to finish, while Toyota/Porsche/Nissan will be plagued with problems all day long. Actually that sounds a lot like F1 right now lol :(

spoiler alert: Audi wins! zzzzzzzzzzzz

It was heartbreaking to see alonso's race ...damn that honda.

Starting to feel like kimi is becoming more like what massa had become at ferrari before he got the boot from the team...

Pick your gif...
tumblr_me61j7guva1qakq3u.gif
I'll always choose this gif. Even with Ferrari he was finishing races and earning points, with McHonda he might as well be racing on top of a fucking John Deere tractor. In fact fuck it, somebody photoshop him on this thing, probably faster and more reliable than his car any way.
uloyygvsk3cyvo4ndmr3.jpg

After Spygate and Crashgate I wanted Karma to catch up with Teflonso, but not like this.

There is no doubt he was involved in some nasty stuff but hes one of those drivers when given a decent car can produce a magic drive , you can just notice hes giving it 100% always in every race but the damn honda car :X

asking him to save fuel in that crappy car was extremely harsh ......

There is no doubt he was involved in some nasty stuff but hes one of those drivers when given a decent car can produce a magic drive , you can just notice hes giving it 100% always in every race but the damn honda car :X

asking him to save fuel in that crappy car was extremely harsh ......
"I don't want, I don't want" was fucking heart breaking...yet funny. Damn is there a worse driver move within the last 20 years worse than his? Surely this must be worse than Jacques Villneuve to BAR or Damon to Arrows. This gif needs to be updated to show him driving the McHonda:
c2FKuZt.gif

Jezbollah

"I don't want, I don't want" was fucking heart breaking...yet funny. Damn is there a worse driver move within the last 20 years worse than his? Surely this must be worse than Jacques Villneuve to BAR or Damon to Arrows. This gif needs to be updated to show him driving the McHonda:
c2FKuZt.gif

Well, Villeneuve to BAR made him a very rich man, considering it was his manager's team. And Hill came closer to winning a race in the Arrows that Alonso will probably this year.

If anything, I blame McLaren in switching engine providers to a company that was wholly unprepared after only one year of development.

c2FKuZt.gif

Alonso totally deserves what he got. He screwed himself out of McLaren where if he only focused less on politics it would've been a breeze win for him. Even with Hamilton drama going on. And come to Ferrari, he's more involved in management and "running" the team and getting into more politics which made the team choose not to renew for him and show him the door which he stupidly walked through..

His talent might be unparalleled but as a person he's a scum who doesn't deserve any sympathy

Top Bottom