• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Ryne

Best livery on the grid, that Renault. Manor second.

McLaren's is shit and I hope they are still backmarkers so I don't have to look at them on TV too much.

Glad some teams chose to liven up and get away from the usual monochrome colours.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wax Free has very clearly illustrated that the Honda is well beyond 2000 bhp now, there's just no way Alonso won't end up with the WDC this year.

dubc35

Wax Free has very clearly illustrated that the Honda is well beyond 2000 bhp now, there's just no way Alonso won't end up with the WDC this year.

It was 2000 bhp for the ICE unit only, don't forget the 500-1,000 bhp the MGU-K/H will add.

Add that to Peter P's size zero coefficient of friction of 1x10^-8 and it's basically a grain of sand propelled by a rocket engine.

OK so today I just saw the Renault livery..

renault-rs16-2.jpg

renault-rs16-4.jpg

XPB_795411_HiRes.jpg

XPB_795383_HiRes.jpg

I've been a Ferrari fan all my life, but Renault racing in yellow? Fuck yes, go #teamyellow

Man it's sooo sexy..

Scottify

It's curious how the car on display, and the one from the big images have completely different noses. I wonder which is the one they're using to race with.

Alonso hasn't got a chance against Button, the Jense will retire him with the savage beating he's going to dish out this season.

Aiii

So not worth it
The promotional one is the actual car.

I guess they realized how utter shit the entire front end looks this year and figured they couldn't present that.

The testcar from the final test:

Ark

I've no-doubt forgotten to PM some people, but I'll be putting some F1 GAF predictions in the OT, so if you want to be in the OT, shoot me a PM with some predictions for the season :)

OT should be up sometime Friday night, I doubt it'll be up before practice given that practice is on at like 3am.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ark, you will get mine tomorrow or in Friday, because I am very very busy

The only problem is that car can go only in straight line when throttle is pressed

Shaneus

To anyone who might care, the Giant Bomb F1 podcast (Alt-F1, I think?) is now free and not just available to premium subscribers. I don't know what it's like, but could be something okay to pass the time?

Aiii

So not worth it
It will shake up the Sunday grid at times, which is a good thing. I am glad they changed it, good on them.

So yes, the "garbage" qualifying is going to happen.

Chris R

To anyone who might care, the Giant Bomb F1 podcast (Alt-F1, I think?) is now free and not just available to premium subscribers. I don't know what it's like, but could be something okay to pass the time?

Awesome, I'll need to check it out again then before the race on Saturday.

Mastah

It will shake up the Sunday grid at times, which is a good thing. I am glad they changed it, good on them.

One red flag 3 minutes and 20-30 seconds into Q3 session and this moronic qualifying will show its true value with no timed laps for all drivers before first elimination kicks in. Who would then be bumped? Driver with the lowest/highest number? The slowest out of 8 in Q2?

Also it's entirely possible during the last few minutes in Q3 there won't be any car out there anymore, because everyone runs out of tyres to get to that point. What a fantastic showdown that would be.

Yellow and red flags. Weighbridge. Blocking. Many things that can go very wrong, so yeah, that's pretty garbage system to solve something, which could be achieved by one decision - removing parc ferme restrictions, so teams and drivers competitiveness would differ from quali to race naturally. But that's too simple for these idiots.

Shaneus

I know I cheaped out and only got a GA ticket for Saturday, but I'm glad I'm going to catch whatever this fucking mess will work out to be. History and all that.

Mastah

They may as well as remove radio, everything is banned, lol:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-widens-scope-of-formula-1-radio-clampdown-679928/

Following outline proposals from December, the FIA has also removed a number of messages that were previously allowed. These include:

-Giving gaps between cars in qualifying so as to better position the car for a clear lap.
-Tyre choice at the next pit stop.
-Number of laps a competitor has done on a set of tyres during a race.
-Tyre specification of a competitors.
-Information concerning a competitors' likely race strategy.
-Safety Car window.
-Change of front wing position at the next pit stop.
-Reminder about track limits.
-Number of laps remaining.

"I smell something burning, what is it?"
"I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to divulge that information."
"But my seat is hot for the third season in a row."
*radio silence*
Interesting. I wonder how much of that crap they'll build into the onboard computer.
Might as well have them driving around wearing F-22 helmets.

Zeknurn

It's too bad Aston Martin decided to partner with Red Bull rather than Force India. It would have been nice to see their livery in Formula 1.

ramparter

Banned
No joke, they should. They should just have some leds to inform the driver when to pit.

I don't see these rules going far. The problem with modern F1 is that they've ruined the sports fundamentals and are attempting to fix it with gimmicky ideas.

Coded messages banned
The FIA has also made it clear that it will not allow teams to try to get around the restrictions by using coded messages.

It says any message: “which we suspect has been used as a coded message for a different purpose (including a prompt to a driver) is likely to be considered a breach of Article 20.1 of the Sporting Regulations and will be reported to the stewards accordingly.”
Guess "I'd love to grab a supersoft muffin after the race" is out of the table.

Mastah

Ian Parkes ‏@ianparkesf1 37m37 minutes ago

Ferrari emerges as biggest spender of power unit tokens over the winter - 23 from a poss 32. Merc next with 19, Honda 18, Renault only 7

Top Bottom