• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

Gaga soon
ibielPJXt9WX84.gif

I'm ready to see the results myself tbh.

botty

Banned
Kelly Clarkson is the best vocalist of the last decade. Nobody else conveys emotion as well.

And she's hot again too!

Kelly Clarkson isn't the best vocalist of any decade. Not sure why you would even say something as ridiculous as this, tbh. Yes, she can sing, but let's not get ahead of ourselves... in more ways than one.

ibs3TCsSWDGEIq.gif

She's had vocal rough patches around the My December era, but other than that her voice was immaculate last decade. Only Beyonce comes close, imo.

That's not to mention the fact that her voice in 2012 is the best it has ever been. Maintaining your voice over the course of a decade, when will certain others
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Zutroy

Kelly Clarkson isn't the best vocalist of any decade. Not sure why you would even say something as ridiculous as this, tbh. Yes, she can sing, but let's not get ahead of ourselves... in more ways than one.

ibs3TCsSWDGEIq.gif

Technically, not the best I know but she's the most versatile and pleasant to listen too.

Unlike some.

Kyon

Banned
best transformation in the series imo
exquisite taste

btw, were you inspired?
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif
<3

:D thanks! and actually yeah when I was looking back at your posts I remembered to make Sailor Moon gifs lol. I hope ill be able to actually edit gifs and make them as great as yours :)

I wanted to make a Crisis Make Up gif too

Esch

Banned
MY GAF POP BREHS

tumblr_ln7rvnRB8c1qeker0o1_500.gif

TONIGHT I INVITE YOU FOR A WONDERFUL NIGHT OF FUCKERY AND KANYE WEST GOODNESS

kanye-west-snl-performance_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Come listen to a debated Kanye classic with HipHopGAF at 11 eastern 10 central
In this thread

i_love_you_gif_5_large.gif

SaintZ

Someone needs to make one of the FLOP Tuxedo Mask transformation. How disappointed I was when I first saw it ;_;
iNtUW3iKfFflg.gif

At least his transformation was featured on the show. Saturn's was the cheapest and could only be seen in some Sega Saturn game ;____;
iYPNw4l5KXzaZ.gif

;_______;

royalan

Okay what the hell? Did nobody see fit to call out Royalan on his bullshit? KOODO did but nowhere near enough.

To say one hit single from Carly Rae makes her more popular than Taylor Swift who's sold tons of albums (and she does sell worldwide, not extremely so but still) is the absolute dumbest thing I have ever seen anyone spout in this thread. Taylor has had lots of hit singles (no number 1 on hot 100 but oh well). She's sold tons of albums. Pretty sure Fearless outsold like all our faves except The fame (which actually gets higher sales due to FM so prob not actually higher) and Adele. Obvs not sure on this. And im talking about recent albums.

Call me (lol) when Carly actually sells an album. And maybe has more than one hit single.

LOL...

hTvif.gif

If you think that the point of my Tiny Tim Swift shade was that Carly is the more popular artist off of one single then you misunderstood me. As you pointed out, it would be entirely idiotic to claim that Carly has accomplished more overall when she really has just this one single against Swifts multiple albums and millions of album sales.

As I said yesterday, and usually when Swift comes up, hers is a success that largely mirrors a lot of other Country acts - i.e. explosive success that stays mostly confined to the US. That may not always be the case (especially since she seems to be going in a more Pop direction for her next album), but as of now it certainly is. Not to mention that, for all of her success, only two of her six singles from her last album charted in the top ten, nor did any of them have much of an international presence.

Carly Rae Jepsen, on the other hand, has a single to her name that has gone #1 in 18 Countries. Now of course that one single could be a fluke and Carly could end up the biggest one-hit-wonder of our time, but that remains to be seen. As of now, Carly has done more to gain an international footprint with one single than Taylor Swift has managed.

Considering all of this, what is my point? That, should Carly Rae Jepsen persevere beyond "Call Me Maybe" she is set up to have more international relevance than Taylor Swift. Yes, this is a prediction and it involves a pretty big IF with Carly not becoming a one-hit-wonder, but nonetheless it is a fair prediction to make based on a logical reading of the receipts as they stand today.

And the only reason that I brought any of this up was to counter the suggestion that Taylor Swift had it in her to render Carly Rae Jepsen obsolete. She doesn't (not when she doesn't even chart in half the countries Carly is now smashing in). These two artists, despite being pretty white girls who make bubblegum music, are on TWO DIFFERENT TRACKS. That last bit is my ultimate point on the matter.

Trigger

MY GAF POP BREHS

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln7rvnRB8c1qeker0o1_500.gif[/MG]

[B]TONIGHT I INVITE YOU FOR A WONDERFUL NIGHT OF FUCKERY AND KANYE WEST GOODNESS
[/B]

[IMG]http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx44/jrphersh/Gif%20Pics/kanye-west-snl-performance_o_GIFSoupcom.gif[/IG]

[B]Come listen to a debated Kanye classic with HipHopGAF at 11 eastern 10 central
[/B][B][URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482147"]In this thread[/URL][/B]

[IMG]http://data.whicdn.com/images/28356008/i_love_you_gif_5_large.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]

Neat. It's nice to see Music-GAF coming together.

Cynosure

Xtina-GAF is still on the lookout for Venus

it's still just
Royalan..................................................Botty....................................................SoulScribe...............................................and I
tumblr_ls7j02HzCA1qcdg5to1_250.gif
tumblr_ls7j02HzCA1qcdg5to2_250.gif
tumblr_ls7j02HzCA1qcdg5to5_250.gif
tumblr_ls7j02HzCA1qcdg5to4_250.gif

VS the negaverse

ITZ

1njmt.jpg

crumpet

pPYCZ.jpg

good heart, but still on the dark side. I get it Crumpy, &#9835; everyone's got one, nobody is picture perfect and you're worth it. I can love your dark side. &#9835;

phono

SFkbF.jpg

koodo

jjYjl.jpg

mumei

lxwIN.jpg

kyon

vNvTC.jpg

good girl gone bad ;_;

Zutroy

Robyn is my other fave, and her dance pop is certainly more emotive than the lessors of that genre but

ahh.gif
ahh.gif
ahh.gif

The Kelly hate occasionally tiptoes into delusion, and that post was a prime example

botty

Banned
tumblr_m1marwN16K1qcvnpgo1_r1_500.gif

Kelly can sing country, rock, indie, blues, the big ballads and mainstream pop hits and doesn't struggle with any of them.

What are the other big vocalist this decade like Leona known for other than their ballads or an occasional slightly more uptempo ballads?

Kelly is the very definition of versatile.

How exactly does someone sing "INDIE"?

iOzsZ7ftIr3YB.gif

Country...Rock...Blues... are you listing off the weekly themes of American Idol?

whitneymhhmm.gif

If you want to see versatility, look no further than Xtina:

220px-Christinaaguilera-christinaaguilera.jpg

Dance, Pop, R&B

220px-02_-_Mi_Reflejo.jpg

Spanish

220px-Christina_Aguilera_-_Stripped.jpg

Hip Hop, Soul, Pop Rock

220px-B2B_Official_Album%28HQ%29.jpg

Soul, Jazz, Blues

...She has also dabbled in Electro Pop, but I won't provoke the hornet's nest.

That's Versatility.

iHNAUuXed1rEC.gif

Kyon

Banned
Fun Fact: I wrote a review on Burlesque for the school paper. High Marks all around, I wish I could find it to show yall, it was when it premiered too. I still watch it religiously on Blu Ray and listen to the OST that certainly counts as an Xtina album

#Flawless
irpGtBR5zdSoA.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Robyn is my other fave, and her dance pop is certainly more emotive than the lessors of that genre but

ahh.gif
ahh.gif
ahh.gif

The Kelly hate occasionally tiptoes into delusion, and that post was a prime example

Sis you have exposed yourself for the fake stan that you are with this post. Eclipse? With Every Heartbeat? Acoustic version of Be Mine?

Robyn has the most emotive voice in pop. Now take several seats sis. You embarrassed yourself enough already. And don't let me ever see you claim that you are a Robyn stan again.

Mumei said it best a while back.

That said, yes, it does take technique to be as versatile as Christina is, particularly in the way she is versatile. When she sings in different genres, her singing itself changes. This might sound axiomatic, but it is indeed different from singers like Kelly Clarkson, who is actually a very versatile singer in a different way; she just happens to be one of those very lucky singers (Elvis is another good example) whose voices tend to suit a large number of genres without making extreme (though there's obviously some) technical changes to their singing style when shifting to a different genre. Personally I think it is a gift that very few singers have.

Bladenic

Trigger I'm hurt. I'm most certainly a true Kelly Stan.

Royal sis you know I ain't mad and that I kid. Idk why I keep coming for you for Taylor when I don't even stan. Although you mention her non single success and the reason is obvious since you mention it as well. She's still more of a country artist. Which means single success on hot 100 is much harder to achieve. In fact her success with singles on the hot 100 should be commanded since country artists almost never achieve top ten or top twenty singles (though that's changed a bit due to digital).

And finally Cyno using Mars instead of Venus? Gross. Mars is the worst.

botty

Banned
Fun Fact: I wrote a review on Burlesque for the school paper. High Marks all around, I wish I could find it to show yall, it was when it premiered too. I still watch it religiously on Blu Ray and listen to the OST that certainly counts as an Xtina album

#Flawless
irpGtBR5zdSoA.gif

I'd love to read it.

tumblr_m75ztobKu01r431cho1_500.gif

Trigger

lol, I'm sorry Chris I forgot about you. You're certainly my favorite Kelly stan though. <3

http://www.abload.de/img/seethingstreepxfyuq.gif[/IG]

Sis what is this I don't even

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq21eiLIDQ1qazkdco1_500.gif[/IM]

Kelesser Clarkson [I]wishes[/I] she could emote through her music like Robyn.[/QUOTE]

Robyn? There are many praiseworthy things about Robyn, but her voice ain't one of them Scissor Sis.
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i9UY4vRv5eqkk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom