• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Of course the other thing that Robyn has over Borelly Uninspiredson is that her music is good. Tho of course Robyn has that over most lessers.

Robyn? There are many praiseworthy things about Robyn, but her voice ain't one of them Scissor Sis.
i9UY4vRv5eqkk.gif

Sis I didn't claim that she has 'range' or 'power' or 'body' or whatever it is you guys discuss to make up for the fact that your faves have no good songs. I was talking about emoting through her music and in that regard Robyn is queen.

tumblr_m2jee5vq0h1qlhfyle7.gif

Robyn has sounded so upset while singing that her fans have collectively worried whether she's depressed.

royalan

Royal sis you know I ain't mad and that I kid. Idk why I keep coming for you for Taylor when I don't even stan. Although you mention her non single success and the reason is obvious since you mention it as well. She's still more of a country artist. Which means single success on hot 100 is much harder to achieve. In fact her success with singles on the hot 100 should be commanded since country artists almost never achieve top ten or top twenty singles (though that's changed a bit due to digital).

<3<3<3<3

I don't outright hate on Taylor anyways. She's not my cup of tea, but her success is undeniable - so much so that it's actually quite amazing that she's so ignored in the rest of the world for the most part. She's like the reverse Kylie Minogue.

And finally Cyno using Mars instead of Venus? Gross. Mars is the worst.

Mars has the best transformation/power sequences ;_;

Bladenic

Jupiter was my fave tbh. I hated how Mars was like second in command, that bitch. Poor Venus though. Each new power of hers was worse than the previous lol.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I am literally continually surprised that there are Xtina stans in the world. Maybe she is just definitional of local? IDEK.

Given that you call yourself a Robyn stan and yet you clearly know nothing about her work, you're the last person who should be pointing fingers.
Please, I said in that first post that Robyn is the most emotive dance-pop artist. You can keep linking to these acoustic performances (that I've already seen, by the way, #stan) and proving both of our points, but the only reason I came for her is because you dismissed my other fave out of hand.

Cynosure

Fun Fact: I wrote a review on Burlesque for the school paper. High Marks all around, I wish I could find it to show yall, it was when it premiered too. I still watch it religiously on Blu Ray and listen to the OST that certainly counts as an Xtina album

ugh the Burlesque music is top-notch

the duel album era that could have been

tumblr_m2pdb8mmDh1qc1s6co4_250.gif

You forgot one!

220px-Christina_Aguilera_-_Bionic.jpg

the best one <3
with the exclusion of some tracks
She went back to her pop roots and added some indie elements

truly the most versatile of anyone talked about here.

Listen, weep, repent, etc.

Would you like it more if there were some generic europop bloops? INSPIRED~

Didn't you bash My December though
ijogkVD9iCZwL.gif

I can get the blasphemous receipts so dont even try denying it

And finally Cyno using Mars instead of Venus? Gross. Mars is the worst.

tumblr_m742be3fws1qjjl1xo1_400.gif

Is there any way I can subscribe to Cyno's posts instead of the entire thread?

tumblr_lqv663FwOw1qcb5ndo4_250.gif

yes, it's called my post history

gisvspose.gif

botty

Banned
I don't know much about Sailor Moon... hell, I don't even know which character Cyno has placed me as.

#straight

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Please, I said in that first post that Robyn is the most emotive dance-pop artist. You can keep linking to these acoustic performances (that I've already seen, by the way, #stan) and proving both of our points, but the only reason I came for her is because you dismissed my other fave out of hand.
I admit. I listen to bits of them but I am not here for such tepid balladry.

Either way, Robyn is more than just the most emotive 'dance-pop' artist. Shes arguably the most emotive artist outright. She just chooses not to sing tepid worn-out pap.

royalan

While we're on the subject of Kelly Clarkson...

I understand why she went more down the Rock path - it's where she found the most career success.

But I'll always have a place in my heart for Soul-Kelly:

NpNSw.jpg

Still my favorite of her albums
i.e. the only one I like :/
. Most of my favorite Kelly Clarkson songs are still from Thankful ("The Trouble With Love Is", "Miss Independent", "Some Kind of Miracle", "What's Up Lonely").

And she really SANGS on that album. Gives me Xtina teas, tbh.

Cynosure

Is Cyno aware of David from the DJ room?

I'm not.
I forgot about that place. I should pay a visit soon

Did anyone know our fave Hottie had a music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYHEuWyF8Ps

our fav from that show is and will always be New York

ny-hairfluff.gif

Her SuperS Special tho>>>>>>>>>

the amazing attack that was actually USEFUL and POWERFUL

Not Aqua Rhapsody, its the one only in her special

oh remember that episode where she was about to attack the other scouts, and they were scared

lol, not so weak after all

edit//

Some of the worst songs of her career on that album, along with some of the best.

so My December is Kelly's Bionic

ibv86MwcXXBauB.jpg

While we're on the subject of Kelly Clarkson...

I understand why she went more down the Rock path - it's where she found the most career success.

But I'll always have a place in my heart for Soul-Kelly:

Still my favorite of her albums
i.e. the only one I like :/
. Most of my favorite Kelly Clarkson songs are still from Thankful ("The Trouble With Love Is", "Miss Independent", "Some Kind of Miracle", "What's Up Lonely").

And she really SANGS on that album. Gives me Xtina teas, tbh.
I'm glad SOMEBODY likes Thankful. All Kelly stans I've seen drag it for filth, smh.

Breakaway >>>>> Stronger > My December >= Thankful >>>>> All I Ever Wanted imo

rukland

Ok so a pretty much a pop virgin, where do I start right now? Been reading the thread now for a couple days and grabbed a few things (Lana Del Rey, Adele) but coming from the music I have been fond of most of my life I am at a loss to get a good grasp on current and even past (last 10 years) good pop music.

I am coming from being a die hard Nine Inch Nails fan (still am) but some how turning 35 has pushed my tastes into an area I was not ready for. I guess having a 9 year old daughter will do that as I am forced to listen to her music. Funny thing is I am finding myself liking what she does.

So yeah hi PopGAF

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Ok so a pretty much a pop virgin, where do I start right now? Been reading the thread now for a couple days and grabbed a few things (Lana Del Rey, Adele) but coming from the music I have been fond of most of my life I am at a loss to get a good grasp on current and even past (last 10 years) good pop music.

I am coming from being a die hard Nine Inch Nails fan (still am) but some how turning 35 has pushed my tastes into an area I was not ready for. I guess having a 9 year old daughter will do that as I am forced to listen to her music. Funny thing is I am finding myself liking what she does.

So yeah hi PopGAF

welcome, what does your daughter listen too?

rukland

welcome, what does your daughter listen too?

Well it started with what was played in school for her, top 40 stuff. She is a big fan of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and others I can not be sure who they are.

In the car now we listen to our local top 40 station and she seems to know the words to everything. Like I said I was set on not liking it at all, but it's growing on me to the point where I find myself with that station on even by myself.

Trigger

Digimon was always above the lessors. I can't believe people think differently. Let me stop...

UBXui.gif

So yeah hi PopGAF

Howdy! I think you're on the right path honestly. Lana, Adelel, Gaga, and Katy Perry are all good modern pop artists.

botty

Banned
Well it started with what was played in school for her, top 40 stuff. She is a big fan of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and others I can not be sure who they are.

In the car now we listen to our local top 40 station and she seems to know the words to everything. Like I said I was set on not liking it at all, but it's growing on me to the point where I find myself with that station on even by myself.

Your daughter is a saint. You should be proud of her taste.

Edit: You should take her to see Katy Perry's movie.

rukland

Marvelous

You should get Spotify and dwell into some of their albums aka The Fame Monster

Already grabbed Fame Monster (did it awhile back for her), are there any super key other albums I should have for anyone? I hate not having a well rounded selection.

And I hate to admit it but Call Me Maybe is a song that everyone in the house can sing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom