• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(The Gamer) Dragon Age: The Veilguard Might Give Us Our First Non-Binary Companion

ManaByte

Star Trek GIF

Ozzie666

I am sure 1% of the fan base who buy they game might actually be happy about this. But really at this point, it's non news, it's just advertising for brownie points. If this is a selling point of your game, your introuble. Might be the coolest character ever written, who knows. But please stop virtua signally for the sake of it. With a game with non humans, who cares honestly.

I am sure 1% of the fan base who buy they game might actually be happy about this. But really at this point, it's non news, it's just advertising for brownie points. If this is a selling point of your game, your introuble. Might be the coolest character ever written, who knows. But please stop virtua signally for the sake of it. With a game with non humans, who cares honestly.

I know. It won’t be.

Doom85

Except they weren’t pushing it as a selling point. The director didn’t even confirm it. The director was just talking about the game, brings up the character, and the pronouns happen to be “they/them”. And the article writer is the one focused on that detail.

Jaybe

The director is trans so I'm wouldn't doubt it

I thought you were kidding but nope, you’re right:

And the idea of being who you want to be carries a particularly special meaning for Corinne. “As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully. It’s inherently very queer, and it’s such a rare thing for marginalized communities to have representation where we feel proud and powerful in how we are depicted. It’s so deeply meaningful for so many. I often get emotional when I think about what it would have meant for a younger version of myself to see someone like her in a game, and as a hero, no less. I hope we can be a safe place for our queer players to know they are not alone, that they are brilliant and worthy, that they are not only welcome but celebrated.”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And here I thought an RPG called Dragon Age would involve killing dragons.

Looks like all you DA gamers will have to guide Taash's personal life too. Have fun sitting around the campfire listening to whether Taash should ask a witchdoctor how to get a sex change.

Side quests include picking medieval high heels at the town cobbler and helping him/her/it who to marry..... Sir Sam or Princess Penelope.

Shubh_C63

Dragon age veilguard will become the second biggest flop after concord.

Go ahead. Roll the dice. Idk how many times these retards want to test the waters with gamers and their fucking stupid ass woke agenda nonsense in games.
Joking aside I highly doubt the game will flop.
The game atleast looks competent. If they don't stuff the pronoun things down players throat many can enjoy what this new version of DA has to offer.

wipeout364

And the idea of being who you want to be carries a particularly special meaning for Corinne. “As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully. It’s inherently very queer, and it’s such a rare thing for marginalized communities to have representation where we feel proud and powerful in how we are depicted. It’s so deeply meaningful for so many. I often get emotional when I think about what it would have meant for a younger version of myself to see someone like her in a game, and as a hero, no less. I hope we can be a safe place for our queer players to know they are not alone, that they are brilliant and worthy, that they are not only welcome but celebrated.”
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering buying it but it will need very good impressions here on GAF for me to buy now, since it is aimed at queer audiences.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Reminds me of how cringe Krem was in Inquisition and Iron Bull defending her. You could ask him about Krem’s gender and he’d insist she’s a man and that if you had a problem, you could take it up with him.

You stupid son of a bitch, interdimensional portals are threatening to swallow Thedas. I don’t give a shit about your bandmate’s gender politics.

Last edited:

Ugh...also if I hear "safe place" one more time...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

ON BIOWARE

Corinne has found a similarly welcoming environment at BioWare itself, she says. “I transitioned during my time at BioWare,” she tells us, “and I reflect all the time on how supported and seen I felt through that process, and how lucky I am to be surrounded by people of this caliber. It really speaks to the values of this team, and their commitment to inclusion in their works and their lives.”

notice how this page mentions nothing about wanting to create a fun videogame, but 2 paragraphs + about the person's genitals and sexual preferences. that's how you know this game is gonna be fuckin' good.

GymWolf

Gold Member

The game is beyond fucked..

Btw how dafuq they coded him/her inside the game if he/she is non-binary?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Lesbian, gay and bisexual are perfectly sensible, real sexualities. Hell, I'm even fine with someone calling themselves trans.

But this non-binary shit is just exhausting.

Two sexes, you feckless entitled little shitbirds. You don't get to alter biological reality to suit your fucking lifestyle. As bad as ultra religious types trying to twist the world according to their idiotic, unscientific agendas.

killatopak

Gold Member
Man, I remember playing a game and enjoying the characters a lot and felt compelled to dive deeper into them so I read a lot of material outside the game. I don’t want to say which game since it’s spoilers.

I then found out that there’s one gay person in there and as I replayed the game and a lot of that person’s actions made sense in that context and I found more focus in that person’s motivations so I loved that character a lot more.

The key thing here is that it’s not in your face however it does affect the character but not in a condescending, hey look at me I’m different kind of way.

I find that most new characters that are of the different gender from the standard two nowadays lack that nuance and make that sexual trait their whole personality. Like is there nothing else? Imagine if the military dude bro fad was all there is to every single male character out there. It might be interesting the first time you see it but it gets tiring the more you see that it’s the only thing on offer.

Like I see this kind of news and dread that it’s all ever that character is gonna be. A token character essentially.

Holy shit, that explains everything. It's even worse as this isn't someone trying to blend in like you would expect. No they want to have people "celebrated". Sorry, but why should anyone celebrate you for chopping a body part off or who you sleep with. How about making a game that everyone can get into without pushing agenda or making it lame.. You took out the classic grit of this series and made it cartoony. The rpg mechanics look neutered. Sorry this game is a big pass for me.

This right here is everything wrong with videogames. What virtue signalling publisher can resist this, with the way these "journalists" love to write articles celebrating this type of courage? It brings a tear to my eye too. So brave, so bold, so progressive!! This will open up entire new markets for our games!

BARF!

I knew right away listening to the last gameplay showcase that the main dev who was doing the walkthrough was trans. Now, is that necessarily a bad thing? YES, just like Mortal Kombat One thr game becomes about your rediculous "movement" than it does being a great videogame. In theory, there could be nothing but transexual game directors and nothing would be wrong with that ....but that's not how these devs do they only care about their agenda

Holy shit, that explains everything. It's even worse as this isn't someone trying to blend in like you would expect. No they want to have people "celebrated". Sorry, but why should anyone celebrate you for chopping a body part off or who you sleep with. How about making a game that everyone can get into without pushing agenda or making it lame.. You took out the classic grit of this series and made it cartoony. The rpg mechanics look neutered. Sorry this game is a big pass for me.
So he's projecting; because, just like his own life, it's all just a cartoon.

🤡🤡🤡

nkarafo

Ah yes. More feel good nonsense sprinkled with buzzwords.

Hope it bombs.

Top Bottom