• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

traveler

Not Wario
FiRez said:
sounds about as i expected, not the score but the review itself

it seems that no one cares about developing a good campaign mode these days if the MP is awesome

Just about every single other review has said the campaign is excellent.

FiRez said:

it seems that no one cares about developing a good campaign mode these days if the MP is awesome

lol....so all the other amazingly positive reviews about the single player campaign is disregarded because of this one site.

I guess that's what you expected.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
SSM25 said:
I kind of agree with some reviews, I won't buy the game solely for the SP as I long ago quit Halo MP. But I can watch a friend finish the game so I can know the end of the story.

You haven't played the game but you........agree with some of the reviews???

calder

EverSoTrendy said:
7/10 because they just want hits to their shit website.
Reading the review I'd lean slightly more toward "wanted to be hard and had the brilliant idea to review the SP campaign only". Kind of a weird, pointless thing to do.

EverSoTrendy said:
Hey, I never said they reviewed it. Going by the score and the scores of other reviews for the game. They are on par. Shocking I know.
Different sites, different scales. Shocking I know.

Son of Godzilla said:
Yea, I think this will be a pretty common sentiment throughout. I only expect Halo 3 to sell about a quarter or third as much as Halo 2, just because so many people will just mooch off friends.

A quarter as much, really?

dfyb

Banned
traveler said:
Forge is aiming for different goals than your standard PC editor. How many PC editors let you edit a prexisting map in the middle of an actual game?
yeah i was addressing the "plan something out and save it to play later" aspect of forge. the "mess with it while playing with it" aspect looks like garry's mod, but garry's mod is tremendously flexible. nothing i've seen of forge looks like it'll be more than anything i've done on PC.

and the replays are very similar to what PC games have been doing -- the only real difference beeing there's polished editors in game rather than PC users just using video editing software. so PC users still have more flexibility because of how open it is, but i think PC games would do well to additionally adopt simple controls like what you see in h3.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
FiRez said:

Why bother with single player when you get a whopping 16 players online & 11 whole maps to boot.

watership

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I really don't understand why sites do this. I remember Eurogamer did the same thing last year with Gears of War. Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me.

I know why sites do this. They're not given enough access or time to review the full product, and they still want to make the first day review thunder.

traveler

Not Wario
dfyb said:
yeah i was addressing the "plan something out and save it to play later" aspect of forge. the "mess with it while playing with it" aspect looks like garry's mod, but garry's mod is tremendously flexible. nothing i've seen of forge looks like it'll be more than anything i've done on PC.

and the replays are very similar to what PC games have been doing -- the only real difference beeing there's polished editors in game rather than PC users just using video editing software. so PC users still have more flexibility because of how open it is, but i think PC games would do well to additionally adopt simple controls like what you see in h3.

Yeah, PC is definitely ahead in that respect, no doubt. The realtime modification aspect was really the only thing I was commenting on.

Eric WK

Son of Godzilla said:
Yea, I think this will be a pretty common sentiment throughout. I only expect Halo 3 to sell about a quarter or third as much as Halo 2, just because so many people will just mooch off friends.

Joke post?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
calder said:
Reading the review I'd lean slightly more toward "wanted to be hard and had the brilliant idea to review the SP campaign only". Kind of a weird, pointless thing to do.

No it's brilliant. In future all games should have single player and multiplayer scores seperate. Then the total score can be the average of the two.

Warhawk SP Campaign: 0/10
Warhawk Multiplayer: 9/10

Overall: 4.5/10

:lol :lol :lol

Honest question: how much fun will Halo 3 online be for someone who 1) just played Halo 1 for the first time, 2) has never played Halo 2, and 3) won't have Halo 3 until early next year? I'm pretty sure I'll be way behind the competitive curve, but is it easy to find players at low rankings?

Ah well - 'not groundbreaking but definetely polished and good throughout' about the campaign was definetely expected, but still... Why no "OH MY-- THIS IS THE BEST SINGLE-PLAYER FPS THERE IS" -type of gushing?

Halo 3 *should* be just as much about Single-player as it is Multi-player.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Since no reviews mentioned this, anyone have any clue on if you can create custom games online & have people that are not specifaclly on your friends list join?

I hated that in Halo 2.

Amir0x

Banned
Lé Blade Runner said:
Ah well - 'not groundbreaking but definetely polished and good throughout' about the campaign was definetely expected, but still... Why no "OH MY-- THIS IS THE BEST SINGLE-PLAYER FPS THERE IS" -type of gushing?

i think Halo 2 really made this franchise into the premiere multiplayer FPS. The singleplayer has always been the weaker of the two aspects.

I'm not saying the scores shouldn't reflect this, but, the multiplayer is sooo good

dfyb

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:
Doesn't UT3 do that now?
UT3 lets you edit a map and drop in the game in the level editor, but i would assume you can't have someone connect to you and play with others. when editing, you are again removed from control of the game (it's still seamless, but you no longer have an entity you control in the game and it's not like there will be people shooting eachother while you're editing).

but UT3 editor lets you edit geometry and actually create new levels from scratch as well as editing existing ones. forge just lets you rearrange levels. forge is more similar to garry's mod, but forge adopts a couple aspects of PC level editors like placing spawn points.

forge still comes up short compared to what is available on PC, but it's a nice attempt at bringing some of these aspects to console games. it's moving in the right direction.

watership said:
I know why sites do this. They're not given enough access or time to review the full product, and they still want to make the first day review thunder.

Separating the two components into separate reviews sounds like a good format for everyone involved. People who are primarily interested in SP get a review that is dedicated squarely to campaign, and those interested in MP get their equivalent later on. And really, you don't think it makes sense to wait with reviewing multiplayer until you can realistically measure it under real life, customer level conditions?

FiRez

nevermind....I just read the MP3 review of ars technica I would take their opinion with a lot more caution now

traveler

Not Wario
Lé Blade Runner said:

Cuz Bioshock just came out. :p

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
From the Ars review

"The score that follows is solely for the single-player campaign and not the product as a whole. Those picking up the title to play alone and offline are missing much of what makes Halo 3 a compelling product. More coverage of the remaining pieces of the puzzle will follow."

So wait, he's not even including co-op. Or on-line co-op. This is just a review for the single player only portion of the campagin?

That's just plain silly.

Timan

Developer
jetjevons said:
No it's brilliant. In future all games should have single player and multiplayer scores seperate. Then the total score can be the average of the two.

Warhawk SP Campaign: 0/10
Warhawk Multiplayer: 9/10

Overall: 4.5/10

:lol :lol :lol

So shadowruns would be a 0/10 since theres not much of a multiplayer and no single player...

Is it safe to watch the Gametrailers Video review? or is it a spoiler heaven like most of their other videos.

Sullichin

FTWer said:
Since no reviews mentioned this, anyone have any clue on if you can create custom games online & have people that are not specifaclly on your friends list join?

I hated that in Halo 2.

There's no custom games browser.

People who arent on your friends list could always join custom games though...

Prine

Banned
Those scores, love it, EVERY HATER BURNS with hate at the critical acclaim this game CONTINUES to recieve.

Now, my friends, comes the sales data. Trolls, back to your caves, as its going to get reall nasty :lol

Havok

Timan said:
So shadowruns would be a 0/10 since theres not much of a multiplayer and no single player...

Is it safe to watch the Gametrailers Video review? or is it a spoiler heaven like most of their other videos.

I would not watch it. There are snippets of cutscenes in it and areas from pretty late in the game.

FiRez

Amir0x said:
i think Halo 2 really made this franchise into the premiere multiplayer FPS. The singleplayer has always been the weaker of the two aspects.

I'm not saying the scores shouldn't reflect this, but, the multiplayer is sooo good

imho the first Halo was worth buying just for the campaign alone

watership

AltogetherAndrews said:
Separating the two components into separate reviews sounds like a good format for everyone involved. People who are primarily interested in SP get a review that is dedicated squarely to campaign, and those interested in MP get their equivalent later on. And really, you don't think it makes sense to wait with reviewing multiplayer until you can realistically measure it under real life, customer level conditions?
Because review scores are now vitally important in making decisions?

Y2Kev said:
Can some of you drop the transparency for like one minute :lol

18641-large.jpg

FiRez

Timan said:

I've not played the game but the review was very spoiler free for me

Amir0x

Banned
FiRez said:
imho the first Halo was worth buying just for the campaign alone

right, and imo, Halo was a pretty good game but not a GREAT one. Halo 2 made the franchise into something really memorable... because of the online multiplayer.

soco

Timan said:

depending upon how much you've seen in screenshots and stuff, there's also maybe some enemy spoilers in it too. i turned it off just a bit in as there were things in there that might've been nice surprises if i hadn't just watched them in there.

Eric WK said:
Joke post?
Is it that fucking hard to tell? I mean really.

Amir0x said:
right, and imo, Halo was a pretty good game but not a GREAT one. Halo 2 made the franchise into something really memorable... because of the online multiplayer.
Eh, I think multiplayer was still the biggest selling point of the original and it and the epic campaign basically go hand in hand with each other.

Eric WK

Son of Godzilla said:
Is it that fucking hard to tell? I mean really.

I saw two other people, both of whom I generally agree with, respond to it in a serious manner before I saw your initial post. That was the root of the confusion.

Top Bottom