• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Sysgen

Extollere said:
gotta be one of the worst posts I've seen in a while.

I'm sick of graphics whores, since when did games just become all about graphics and new benchmarks instead of just awesome gameplay?

The post was his opinion. He put down $120, it's Halo 3 MS flagship title. He expected more. It seems though it's typical MS, we're gonna make a killing anyway so why bother making everything look 110%.

Evlar

Banned
Concerning graphics: The reports are about what I expected, Bungie sacrificed some fancy effects and ginormous textures and bump maps everywhere in order to keep up the framerate, accommodate immense outdoor zones, and allow a couple dozen independent actors and their weapon fire and vehicles and explosions on the screen at a time. They made the right choice. I'm disappointed they didn't do a better job on the character models.

dante786

Banned
Sysgen said:
The post was his opinion. He put down $120, it's Halo 3 MS flagship title. He expected more. It seems though it's typical MS, we're gonna make a killing anyway so why bother making everything look 110%.

I would argue that Halo 3 turned everything up to 110. Some of the models are a little dissappointing, but the overall visual package is among the most impressive out there today. The scale of the game is unsurpassed, and in my book that counts for a lot, the size and scope of encounters being what they are is far more valuable to the game than some more detailed soldier models would be.

Meanwhile, the gameplay and all the features are absolutely incredible...I've only had the game for 2 days, but based on campaign and co-op alone, I can say no other game will give me as much bang for the buck as halo 3. Once you take into account the multiplayer....I dont know how you could want more in a game for 60 bucks.....or even 120.

dante786 said:
I would argue that Halo 3 turned everything up to 110. Some of the models are a little dissappointing, but the overall visual package is among the most impressive out there today. The scale of the game is unsurpassed, and in my book that counts for a lot, the size and scope of encounters being what they are is far more valuable to the game than some more detailed soldier models would be.

Meanwhile, the gameplay and all the features are absolutely incredible...I've only had the game for 2 days, but based on campaign and co-op alone, I can say no other game will give me as much bang for the buck as halo 3. Once you take into account the multiplayer....I dont know how you could want more in a game for 60 bucks.....or even 120.

ur rong lol

Moegames

Banned
Since when has bungie been king of graphics development? Your asking a group of developers that ARE known to make not so cutting edge visuals to their games. They are decent with creating nice looking visuals but they never been a group to really take it to the next level..halo 3 came out looking about what i expected from Bungie..its about what they are capable of as far as graphics go.

I think the graphics are nice really..explosions look awesome, the landscapes,etc look great..the lighting is REALLY nice. Some of the character models dont look so impressive but they arent garbage like some are putting it as. Read the reviews..the reviews from people that reveiw games for a living..they are all pretty spot on about the visuals..they are GOOD they are NOT AMAZING but do the job and they do the job well.

Im a graphics whore..i'd give the visuals a 8.5. im fine with them too

dante786

Banned
beerbelly said:
I noticed a little grass would pop in sometimes in split screen co-op mode. I'm not sure about single player.

I would say thats more like intentional fade in....kinda like oblivion, but more subtle i thought.

As far as halo 2 style texture pop in...I didn't notice any of that...it may have been there, but certainly nowhere near on the level it was in H2, not obvious at all.

Extollere said:

I'm sick of graphics whores, since when did games just become all about graphics and new benchmarks instead of just awesome gameplay?

Since Luke Smith said "Gears of huh?"

Okin

Extollere said:

Yeah, how dare someone care about graphics!

The Sphinx said:
Concerning graphics: The reports are about what I expected, Bungie sacrificed some fancy effects and ginormous textures and bump maps everywhere in order to keep up the framerate, accommodate immense outdoor zones, and allow a couple dozen independent actors and their weapon fire and vehicles and explosions on the screen at a time. They made the right choice. I'm disappointed they didn't do a better job on the character models.

There's a somewhat amusing parallel here between this debacle and a debate from last year regarding the "rights" and "wrongs" of developers sacrificing some detail and fanciness for the sake of facilitating more action packed, intense scenarios, based on two games featured in a popular grudge match of the time. Me, I'm happy that they stuck to the big and epic as opposed to sacrificing scale and scope for the sake of detail.

That said, based on what I've seen of the game and also by comments made from those who have played it, some of those very high scores for graphics seem odd.

beerbelly

Banned
Speaking of graphics, does anyone know of the approach Bungie used for the intense atmospheric lighting? It just seems so realistic and there is something "tangible" about it...it really feels like you're walking through a hot thick desert, hard to describe.

Das-J

Law of the West
If you're one of those that is physically sick when even the world Halo is mentioned, we feel a little sorry for you. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face, as ours mums would say. You're genuinely going to miss out on an incredible gaming experience that offers many different ways to play it, alone with your mates, or against the global community.

Wow, if that is true I might actually have to pick this up (at Blockbuster). I'm glad that someone feels sorry for me! :lol

AltogetherAndrews said:
That said, based on what I've seen of the game and also by comments made from those who have played it, some of those very high scores for graphics seem odd.

beerbelly said:
Speaking of graphics, does anyone know of the approach Bungie used for the intense atmospheric lighting? It just seems so realistic and there is something "tangible" about it...it really feels like you're walking through a hot thick desert, hard to describe.

Evlar

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
For those insistent on the graphical comparisons, gametrailers posted a Halo vs Halo 2 vs Halo 3 video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25482.html

I think the graphical step up is more obvious when you play the games side by side, rather than "hype vs nostalgia".
I have no doubt it leaves Halo 1 and 2 in the dust. It's less impressive when you compare it to other next-gen titles, like the game in your avatar for instance.

I'm no graphics whore, the game looks plenty good enough for me. Just making conversation.

Darkpen

Banned
beerbelly said:
I have to say, the light really is excellent in halo 3, based on the videos I've seen.

mandiller said:
AusGamers.com reviewed Halo 3 and gave it an 8.5/10
do they hate fun?

FightyF

Banned
beerbelly said:

They had a Bungie update, long ago, that talks about this in detail. I'm sorry I don't have a link, and I spent a good while trying to search for it.

From I've seen of the pics and movies, the lighting is absolutely phenomenal. At the same time it isn't overdone. I think those who appreciate the graphics more than others, are the ones who can see all the little touches, and the people who aren't impressed, are the ones who are affected by things like diminishing returns (ie. they can't see the difference between high poly/low poly models, can't see diffuse lighting when it's right front of them, etc.).

FightyF said:
They had a Bungie update, long ago, that talks about this in detail. I'm sorry I don't have a link, and I spent a good while trying to search for it.

From I've seen of the pics and movies, the lighting is absolutely phenomenal. At the same time it isn't overdone. I think those who appreciate the graphics more than others, are the ones who can see all the little touches, and the people who aren't impressed, are the ones who are affected by things like diminishing returns (ie. they can't see the difference between high poly/low poly models, can't see diffuse lighting when it's right front of them, etc.).

Oh please :lol I can see "the little touches", but that doesn't mean I have to be fucking blind to the not so great parts.

GhaleonEB said:
From their summary:

.....adjectives fail me.

Some people want brand new features, others are perfectly happy with a refinement of shit that clearly works pretty well. It's the same story as with any other game that sticks relatively close to a working format.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
AltogetherAndrews said:

I don't understand. You want tight corridors and amazing detail in everything in the corridors, or open enviroments and obviously a sarcifice in general details and quality?

I think the scale and quality of Halo 3 is much more appealing graphically then Gears of War, which pretty much looks all the same throughout many of the campaing and is very constricted, albeith incredibly detailed.

Some of the Halo 3 vista's are so amazing that all minor gripes should be moot. Also, there are some corridor levels later on in the game that still look incredibly amazing and detailed, probably as much so as Gears of War.

You can't have AND the same quality AND scale. Since I prefer Halo 3's scale, they did as much as is possible with it, I think it looks amazing.

Odysseus

Banned
Kobold said:
I don't understand. You want tight corridors and amazing detail in everything in the corridors, or open enviroments and obviously a sarcifice in general details and quality?

I think the scale and quality of Halo 3 is much more appealing graphically then Gears of War, which pretty much looks all the same throughout many of the campaing and is very constricted, albeith incredibly detailed.

Some of the Halo 3 vista's are so amazing that all minor gripes should be moot. Also, there are some corridor levels later on in the game that still look incredibly amazing and detailed, probably as much so as Gears of War.

You can't have AND the same quality AND scale. Since I prefer Halo 3's scale, they did as much as is possible with it, I think it looks amazing.

speaking of halo 3 vista, how long until the pc version, do you think? my guess is the wait will be shorter than last time.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Sysgen said:

2nd worst post I've seen in a long while.

Game developers like Bungie don't purposefully make their games not look as good as you want them to because they don't have to - they make their games look the best they can with the current system resourses, staff and restrictions. It seems like everybody forgets that there are a hundred other things going on in the game that limit the graphical quality you can actually achieve. For instance, the more AI I have working at once the less power I have for teh grafickss lul - who knew rite??

Odysseus said:
speaking of halo 3 vista, how long until the pc version, do you think? my guess is the wait will be shorter than last time.

Next year maybe? That'd follow the Gears example nicely, and give Xbox gamers a decent time exclusive while still catering to the important PC market. Hopefully they do a good job on that.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kobold said:

I don't see why people can't understand this.

GhaleonEB

SantaC said:
It's just one review and not everyone might like the game as much you know.
I haven't played the full game, so I can't say how much I like it or not and I wouldn't presume to. But even from the Beta, the gameplay has evolved a great deal since the first game - the addition of equipment, the support weapons you carry in third person, the numerous but subtle changes to the weapons and controls. Factor in the increased scale of the encounters on both sides and other known elements, and a picture emerges, and it isn't Halo 1. Obviously the game is a continuation of the series, but that comment struck me as odd.

AltogetherAndrews all over an xbox thread, who would have thought it... Well I guess some one must do the job, control the Xbox and Halo hype. He is pretty good at it, have to give him that. So subtle, so controlled, but still so very very obvious. *shrugs and waits for a long reply explaining how he isnt biased or a hypochrite*

Project Midway said:
AltogetherAndrews all over an xbox thread, who would have thought it... Well I guess some one must do the job, control the Xbox and Halo hype. He is pretty good at it, have to give him that. So subtle, so controlled, but still so very very obvious. *shrugs and waits for a long reply explaining how he isnt biased or a hypochrite*
Eh, he's hardly subtle. Don't worry, you'll get your Halo 3 soon enough with it's same old shit and zero new features and worthless campaign.

Roat

Banned
Project Midway said:

Who cares who he is and his agenda. Attack the argument, not the man

Odysseus

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:
Halo 2 Vista ****ing sucked. I don't think Halo will ever get a proper port for the PC.

i thought halo: ce for pc was just fine, although i wish the gamepad controls were better. the analog sticks had no deadzone at all, so they were uber sensitive. made things sort of slippery, if i had to pick a word to describe it. haven't played halo 2 pc, though, since i don't have vista.

Odysseus

Banned
bigswords said:
Bull**** it ran like ass on 9700 graphic cards (which were the top of range graphics cards then).

not that i would know or care, since i ran it on a 9800 and, most importantly, i don't dwell on that sort of thing. it didn't seem altogether different from my xbox experience, and that's all that mattered to me.

Top Bottom