• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What's with reviewers doing multiplayer and SP separately? When in gaming history has that ever been accepted review protocol?

mood

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I really don't understand why sites do this. I remember Eurogamer did the same thing last year with Gears of War. Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me.

They should review Bioshocks and Heavenly Swords multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
VultureDude said:
reading comprehension FTW. that socre is for SINGLE PLAYER ONLY

you beat me to it. Guarentee no one reads that part though. Looks like there's going to be a review of the multiplayer as well. I still hear some torches being lit.

Watch out!

Tristam

Yeah, reviewing single player only is strange.

mood said:
They should review Bioshocks and Heavenly Swords multiplayer.

Unfortunately Metroid Prime 3's "multiplayer" was reviewed to a small extent. :p

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well I guess now I have to go to my friends house and play this game once he gets it. Co-up will be the shitz! :lol

RiverBed

Banned
for a second there, I thought the OP made up all those scores while waiting for the real ones to come out just for fun. wow, getting such perfect and near perfect scores from everybody is amazing!

Crateman

VultureDude said:

Wait, does that means that Halo 3 single player is just above average?

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware of the review being just focused on the Single Player. To tell the truth, I don't really care about Halo's multiplayer... -that's what Unreal Tournament is for-.

Of course Halo 3's single player got a 7, you'd be bitter too if everyone else was kicking ass in co-op and you were just killing the same old grunts over and over again.

Timedog said:
What's with reviewers doing multiplayer and SP separately? When in gaming history has that ever been accepted review protocol?

Hey, I like that format. Multi player is much less important than single player, so reviews that focus everything on the component I'm interested in makes more sense. That's assuming of course that the source also offers a multi player review separately.

And it does make sense on another level, as it gives the writer proper time to experience multi player under real life conditions.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I really don't understand why sites do this. I remember Eurogamer did the same thing last year with Gears of War. Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me.

it would make more sense to do them seperately, and then give it a packaged score as well. But I think the idea is to not mislead all those people who don't play Halo online into thinking they're getting a 9.5-10 experience, when they're never going to play it online (for thos eppl, Oblvion >>>>>> Halo 3). it is practical, but can't be added to the review agregate.

Odysseus

Banned
VultureDude said:

that's the only mode that matters to me.

not that i value arstechnica's opinion on anything. or have ever read their opinion on anything.

Timedog said:

if i remember correctly, eurogamer did this with halo 2. or did something along these lines.

Tristam

AltogetherAndrews said:
Hey, I like that format. Multi player is much less important than single player, so reviews that focus everything on the component I'm interested in makes more sense. That's assuming of course that the source also offers a multi player review separately.

Speak for yourself. I play the Halo, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and Bomberman games almost exclusively for multiplayer.

Odysseus said:
that's the only mode that matters to me.

not that i value arstechnica's opinion on anything. or have ever read their opinion on anything.

if i remember correctly, eurogamer did this with halo 2. or did something along these lines.

then i anxiously await your assessment of the single player only portion of the game in the coming weeks :)

Tristam said:
Speak for yourself. I play the Halo, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and Bomberman games almost exclusively for multiplayer.

Unless I was suddenly elected ruler of the universe, obviously I'm speaking for myself.

And again, it makes perfect sense from an impression stand point. You're going to be treated to a very controlled environment prior to release, so a multiplayer review set post release should realistically give you a more fair assessment of it.

Falagard

Crateman said:
Wait, does that means that Halo 3 single player is just above average?

Yeah, it means that Halo 3's single player is just above average.... assuming you take the lowest score it has received, a 7, and ignore the dozen other review scores above 90%.

And play on Normal instead of the recommended Heroic (for anyone who has played a shooter before). And ignore co-op.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Except that some reviews seem to take issue with the campaign mode, with the MP making up for the difference. That is indeed full featured, if you have at least as much interest in MP as you do SP. Unfortunately, that's not true for everyone.

Absolutely. That's why Halo 3 is probably a pretty terrible choice for someone of that inclination because as much effort clearly went into fleshing out the multiplayer aspect of the game, so you'd want something where 100% of the energy went to a compelling single player experience, like BioShock or Half Life 2. Even the Campaign Mode has an enormous amount of focus on Multiplayer with scoring, skulls, and co-op.

Aleman

AltogetherAndrews said:

And it does make sense on another level, as it gives the writer proper time to experience multi player under real life conditions.

Sure it makes sense for some people but fact of the matter is that Halo wouldn't be as incredibly popular as it is without multiplayer. Hell, everyone agrees that Halo 2 single player is sub-par. So reviewing a multi-player focused game like this is basically just for attention IMO. Games should only be scored as a whole since you can't buy the two components separately.

cilonen

Regarding the Ars Technica review - it's Frank Caron. Ars' gaming section Opposable Thumbs has two staffers - Frank and Ben (Kuchera). Ben's a fairly big 360 guy whereas Frank, if anything, is a PC guy.

Ars are normally really thorough in reviewing stuff rather than trying to be first out the gate usually lettign things sink in for a week or more before publishing, also for big things they normally have more than one person reviewing. I'm surprised that 1) Frank got this to review, and 2) They rushed this out rather than taking their usual thorough approach.

Hmmm.

Tristam

AltogetherAndrews said:
Unless I was suddenly elected ruler of the universe, obviously I'm speaking for myself.

Oh God I love when people defend their opinions on the basis that it's just that: their honest-to-goodness opinion. It doesn't make it any less asinine.

I'm not even arguing whether single or multiplayer are more important. I'm saying it's silly to review a game's single and multiplayer components separately.

cilonen said:
Regarding the Ars Technica review - it's Frank Caron. Ars' gaming section Opposable Thumbs has two staffers - Frank and Ben (Kuchera). Ben's a fairly big 360 guy, whereas Frank, if anything, is a PC guy.

Ars are normally really thorough in reviewing stuff rather than trying to be first out the gate usually lettign things sink in for a week or more before publishing, also for big things they normally have more than one person reviewing. I'm surprised that 1) Frank got this to review, and 2) They rushed this out rather than taking their usual thorough approach.

Hmmm.
moneyhats?

Gowans

OK score aside what is Ars playing at reviewing one section of a game and posting it as a game review.

That system warrants a whole lot of discussion by itself (halo aside).

Aleman said:
Sure it makes sense for some people but fact of the matter is that Halo wouldn't be as incredibly popular as it is without multiplayer. Hell, everyone agrees that Halo 2 single player is sub-par. So reviewing a multi-player focused game like this is basically just for attention IMO. Games should only be scored as a whole since you can't buy the two components separately.

Right, but some of us played and enjoyed Halo primarily for its single player. So obviously I want to know what the worth is of the SP. If the SP is great, it's a certain buy, whereas it's possibly relegated to a wait and see if it's not so great. That's what these buyer's guides are there for.

giga

AltogetherAndrews said:
Right, but some of us played and enjoyed Halo primarily for its single player. So obviously I want to know what the worth is of the SP. If the SP is great, it's a certain buy, whereas it's possibly relegated to a wait and see if it's not so great. That's what these buyer's guides are there for.
If you enjoyed Halo 1 SP, I think you should play Halo 3 SP.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well I think you have your honest assessment then. Assuming you can stomach the console controller the single player is a fairly average experience. I don't think anyone expected much more than that.

SupahBlah

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
okay guys is it time to forget about all the good scores and focus on that mediocre one?

If it was only good scores no one would have anything to say other than LOOK MY HAT IS MADE OF MONEY!

Son of Godzilla said:
Well I think you have your honest assessment then. Assuming you can stomach the console controller the single player is a fairly average experience. I don't think anyone expected much more than that.
Did you miss the past few posts where people are proclaiming their love for Halo 2 SP?

CajoleJuice said:
Did you miss the past few posts where people are proclaiming their love for Halo 2 SP?

He didn't get the memo.

With the exception of Bioshock, name me one first person shooter that has been released since Halo 2 (on consoles) with a better story?

squicken

AltogetherAndrews said:
Except that some reviews seem to take issue with the campaign mode, with the MP making up for the difference. That is indeed full featured, if you have at least as much interest in MP as you do SP. Unfortunately, that's not true for everyone.

For someone who has decried reviews and reviewers in general, at one point saying Eurogamer is the only score that counts (I think this was during the Lair review thread), you certainly do choose to participate in Review threads. Strange for someone who doesn't care about reviews.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Has ars ever done this before or did they need to make "special considerations" for this game? PC guy reviewing ultra hyped console FPS, yeah that sounds like a good idea.

Top Bottom