• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Muppet345

I don't know why everyone is complaining. Arstechnica said the multiplayer is better than the singleplayer, so the full game gets a score of at least 150%. That's the best score of all!

Darunia said:
It probably took them all night to come up with it too

"Bill! I got it! I fucking GOT it! You sitting?"
"Yeah, Joe. What is it, man. We gotta NAIL this one. We're introducing our new graphic intros with this one. IT'S GOTTA RULE!"
"It does, bro. 'The chief...'"
"Right, the main character of the game..."
"'...is no THIEF.'"
"GO WITH IT."

Kevar said:
I don't know why everyone is complaining. Arstechnica said the multiplayer is better than the singleplayer, so the full game gets a score of at least 150%. That's the best score of all!

I don't know... Low Gamerankings score = no sale.

Tristam

BenjaminBirdie said:
"Yeah, Joe. What is it, man. We gotta NAIL this one. We're introducing our new graphic intros with this one. IT'S GOTTA RULE!"
"'...is no THIEF.'"
"GO WITH IT."

:lol :lol

squicken said:
For someone who has decried reviews and reviewers in general, at one point saying Eurogamer is the only score that counts (I think this was during the Lair review thread), you certainly do choose to participate in Review threads. Strange for someone who doesn't care about reviews.
Reviews are now the ultimate buying guides.

Did you miss the past few posts where people are proclaiming their love for Halo 2 SP?
That was mostly for his benefit, but I myself don't mess around with piddling crap, making my average FPS experience quite satisfactory.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BenjaminBirdie said:
"'...is no THIEF.'"
"GO WITH IT."

:lol

Tieno

Woot.

When possible I put in name and a link to the profile of the reviewer, this speeds up the discrediting-game.

cilonen

Timedog said:
Has ars ever done this before or did they need to make "special considerations" for this game? PC guy reviewing ultra hyped console FPS, yeah that sounds like a good idea.

Here's the same guy reviewing Metroid Prime 3.

Note it's 4 pages long, and rather detailed.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/Beautiful-corruption-a-review-of-Metroid-Prime-3.ars/1

Ars have just gone down a couple notches in my regard. Why rush a review of one component of such a big game just to try to compete with the regular game sites. They didn't need to do that.

Amir0x said:
man after that Ars and Gamer 2.0 review i think it's time to shelf Halo 3 purchasing plans until it's $9.99

I've gone a step further and released a subsonic charge beneath every retailer of the game, thus rendering every single disc in an LE copy of the game completely useless. It seems I'm doing them all a favor.

plague

If you liked campaign in Halo 1 and/or Halo 2, you will enjoy Halo 3 as much or more. (obviously apart from the added impact of the newness Halo 1 had at the time).

EverSoTrendy said:
*Raises hand* I'm buying Halo 3 for campaign only. I'm one of the few who likes SP over MP in Halo. :)

Multi aside, it still sounds like a quality experience in terms of the enemy AI and the weapon set and environments. Just from what I've seen/heard, but it doesn't look like it's on a BioShock, Nabokovian level of quality.

giga

I'm impressed with Eurogamer. Good job for keepin it real

We sense the influence of multiplayer - with its requirement for consistent framerate and a level playing field - in many of the graphical decisions Bungie has made. It's not that the game is ugly - well, aside from the human faces perhaps, which look flat and unnatural and are the most obvious relics of the last generation here. For the most part, though, the art direction is superb, with a huge range of different visually unique levels and environments to fight through.

It's just that, compared to games like last year's Gears of War, Halo 3 is an underachiever in graphical terms - but to our minds, any negative here is easily cancelled out by the joy of high framerates, no loading delays and an almost complete lack of any graphical glitches. It may not be gold, but it's the most perfectly polished silver we've seen.

Early levels in Halo 3 - right through the first two thirds of the game, in fact - are among the most perfectly designed, streamlined and considered first person shooter levels you will ever play. Each level provides the illusion of choice and of a vast, navigable play-area, while carefully funnelling you through set-piece after set-piece using subtle cues and clever design tricks.

Dirtbag

plague said:
If you liked campaign in Halo 1 and/or Halo 2, you will enjoy Halo 3 as much or more. (obviously apart from the added impact of the newness Halo 1 had at the time).

good job guys!

Amir0x

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I've gone a step further and released a subsonic charge beneath every retailer of the game, thus rendering every single disc in an LE copy of the game completely useless. It seems I'm doing them all a favor.

Might as well. I mean they've been working on this game for years, to have a game that allows for any dissenting opinion is... is well unacceptable. Bungie should really be ashamed at the quality of the campaign mode in particular. What is this, 2007?

Amir0x said:
Might as well. I mean they've been working on this game for years, to have a game that allows for any dissenting opinion is... is well unacceptable. Bungie should really be ashamed at the quality of the campaign mode in particular. What is this, 2007?

It's such a pre-Rapture attitude. Shameful.

scoobs

1UP is so predictable, I wish they'd go out on a limb with their halo reviews and give one like.... 9.9 or something.

dfyb

Banned
based on what i've seen so far, this could be the first halo game i hold at a score of at least 9. the MP's solid even if it's still pretty dated, forge is a cool, and they seem to have improved the level design in the campaign. PC games have always had level editors and recordable demos you could replay, but i like that h3 is trying to bring these aspects into consoles. forge isn't on par with PC level editors, but it's still flexible enough where cool things will come of it. the replays seem to be a step above the typical recorded demo on PC games.

i obviously need to play it before passing any real judgement though. reviewers praised the crap out of the crappy H2 campaign too, so i'm not quick to trust reviewers this time around either. now i just need to find someone with a 360...
golem said:
personally I thought Halo 2 SP > HL2 SP
i don't even see how this is possible. unless you enjoy repetitive, anticlimactic, and boring games.

dralla

im sure its been posted but gametrailers put up their review

has anyone watched it, quick summary? GT always shows too much shit in their reviews so im not watching

Eric WK

Maxwell House said:
Hmmm, based on the 24 reviews so far, Halo 3 has an average of 95.021%. That includes the 7.0 from Ars Technica.

The Ars Technica review won't be used on Game Rankings or Metacritic.

Amir0x

Banned
scoobs said:
1UP is so predictable, I wish they'd go out on a limb with their halo reviews and give one like.... 9.9 or something.

LOL yeah but lets face it 1up has made quite the business from sniffing M$ butt so why stop now LOL

SSM25

I kind of agree with some reviews, I won't buy the game solely for the SP as I long ago quit Halo MP. But I can watch a friend finish the game so I can know the end of the story.

MCermak

Has bungie announced the official Halo 3 tissue yet? All these references to the ending have me thinking it might be a bummer.

traveler

Not Wario
dfyb said:
based on what i've seen so far, this could be the first halo game i hold at a score of at least 9. the MP's solid even if it's still pretty dated, forge is a cool, and they seem to have improved the level design in the campaign. PC games have always had level editors and recordable demos you could replay, but i like that h3 is trying to bring these aspects into consoles. forge isn't on par with PC level editors, but it's still flexible enough where cool things will come of it. the replays seem to be a step above the typical recorded demo on PC games.

i obviously need to play it before passing any real judgement though. now i just need to find someone with a 360...

i don't even see how this is possible. unless you enjoy repetitive, anticlimactic, and boring games.

Forge is aiming for different goals than your standard PC editor. How many PC editors let you edit a prexisting map in the middle of an actual game?

Maxwell House said:
Hmmm, based on the 24 reviews so far, Halo 3 has an average of 95.021%. That includes the 7.0 from Ars Technica.
Maxwell would you mind posting your list and then we can keep track. It takes a while for the meta sites to update- not that we're the kind of people who takes those averages seriously.

dralla said:
im sure its been posted but gametrailers put up their review

has anyone watched it, quick summary? GT always shows too much shit in their reviews so im not watching

I posted this brief summary on page 3:

- Campaign whilst linear has very little backtracking or repetition.

- Every locale is unique and memorable.

- 10 - 15 hour average playtime depending on difficulty.

- The deployable items aren't ground breaking.

- Best enemy AI in the business.

- Visuals are not the best on the system, poor character models.

- Audio trumps the visuals.

FiRez said:
sounds about as i expected, not the score but the review itself

it seems that no one cares about developing a good campaign mode these days if the MP is awesome

This is the type of post that could inspire meltdowns. Tread carefully.

SSM25 said:
I kind of agree with some reviews, I won't buy the game solely for the SP as I long ago quit Halo MP. But I can watch a friend finish the game so I can know the end of the story.
Yea, I think this will be a pretty common sentiment throughout. I only expect Halo 3 to sell about a quarter or third as much as Halo 2, just because so many people will just mooch off friends.

Top Bottom