• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

Have your partner slap you in the face any time you guard is down during a drill.

Saw this on BJJ Times. Made me chuckle seeing the title but it's a good article at heart. The "for everyone" line is pretty true. Got a tubby black belt who you wouldn't imagine was a martial arts master at my school who would pummel the fuck out you.

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/nerdjitsu/

After the tourney I realized that as much as I hate cardio I need to do it more. Usually my "cardio" is BJJ and a five minute jog warm up on the treadmill at the gym before doing my routine. I didn't treat it like a Muay Thai fight. I probably should have. Next tournament I'll train the way I was trained in MT. This will include a lot of cardio. God I hate cardio.

Glad to see another experienced Muay Thai fighter here. Why'd you switch to BJJ?

Have you done any HIIT training? Thats the fun kind of cardio. The gym I go to has great equipment that I use for high intensity cardio like the sled, battle ropes, medicine balls etc. A good HIIT session can be really, really enjoyable. And it's faster than spending an hour on a treadmill or some shit

Have you done any HIIT training? Thats the fun kind of cardio. The gym I go to has great equipment that I use for high intensity cardio like the sled, battle ropes, medicine balls etc. A good HIIT session can be really, really enjoyable. And it's faster than spending an hour on a treadmill or some shit

I don't do HIIT because I consider BJJ HIIT and I dunno. Didn't seem like worth doing? I mainly choise martial arts at the outset as a replacement for gyms because I hate them. So I never considered it.

Another great class. Can't wait for open mat tomorrow to review all I've learned! Starting to get less nervous and just excited for class these days. :)

Saw this Reddit post on fear and competition. It's so good.

Look at this quote:

If I may be permitted a personal confession, never in the countless judo tournaments in which I have participated have I had a feeling of perfect security. I am always pursued by an uneasiness that I can only describe as fear directed toward the opponent I must encounter. When I reach the hall where the tournament is to be held, I always experience a vague sense of bleakness.
…
Though I cannot ascribe exact causes to the feeling, I am perfectly aware of its manifestations. The blood drains from my face, and tears well up in my eyes. I cannot carry on coherent conversations. Even when I eat nothing in the early part of the day, in the afternoon I am not hungry. I begin to have doubts abut myself: perhaps I am a coward.
…
The only thing for me to do is exert my best mental and technical efforts and fight to the last. After concentrating all of my attention on this idea, I assume the attitude that the imminent contest is my last one. … This has always helped me to reach the point where I can wager everything on winning and losing. Put in extreme terms, my approach to judo can be summed up in the idea of one last meet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/commen...y_despise_competition_there_i_said_it/c9aketl

Really makes me proud of what I accomplished. Walrus was right: I won by signing up.

TheTurboFD

Thanks to this thread I actually signed up at Balance studios here in philly. The migliarese brothers are very knowledgeable and were trained with helio and royce gracie. Best instructors I've ever had and the students are really friendly too.

Related to the original post, but I love reading random entries/articles on BJJ Heroes. This one is one of my favorites, featuring women who have changed Jiu Jitsu.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-culture/women-who-changed-jiu-jitsu

Another favorite is the one that covers Womens Jiu Jitsu's dirty dozen.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-culture/womens-bjj-dirty-dozen

One of my favorites is Yvonne Duarte: the first woman jiu jiutero to ever get a black belt. There's a badass pic of her during a competition and she looks so cool.

Z92qeDu.jpg

Another heronie of mine is Kyra Gracie. I had an avatar before this one of Kyra Gracie from a controversial photo shoot. When asked, I told people it was Gina Carano as a joke. I'm sorry, I was just fucking with you. There's a short film on Kyra on youtube and it's great. If you want more of Kyra you should watch her show The Third Degree on Fight Pass.

Who are some of your bjj heroes?

Another great class. Can't wait for open mat tomorrow to review all I've learned! Starting to get less nervous and just excited for class these days. :)

Saw this Reddit post on fear and competition. It's so good.

Look at this quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/commen...y_despise_competition_there_i_said_it/c9aketl

Really makes me proud of what I accomplished. Walrus was right: I won by signing up.

For real, there's no losers in this. If you have the guts to test yourself against someone else at this, you've already won.
And that Reddit post man, I have to say that's how I feel before fucking EVERY class, never mind competition. Pretty much any time I can get the better of myself and actually go train, that's a win for me.
Thanks to this thread I actually signed up at Balance studios here in philly. The migliarese brothers are very knowledgeable and were trained with helio and royce gracie. Best instructors I've ever had and the students are really friendly too.

Well done!!

Great morning class with mostly white and a handful of fresh blues (I'm a 3 stripe blue). A few are competing soon so I was asked to give them some hard 3 minute competition rolls starting on the feet to get them ready.

My gosh, my game really progressed since I've been working on my gogo choke (ala Ben Rothwell on Barnett) and my loop choke variations. Class has been putting in work with double legs so that's what everyone came at me with. I simple would sprawl, move their heads from my side to under my belly all while sliding my forearm under their chin for the quick tap. Another thing I was doing from stand up was grabbing a loose cross collar grip (which they'd never break), as they'd shoot for the double I'd sprawl then work a loop choke from my cross grip.

These are chokes I didn't have just a couple months ago. It's great to see them now implemented in my game organically during hard live rolling.

It's also nice when you can share your insight after class with those you rolled with so they can fill some of the holes you exposed the way higher ranked guys expose the holes in my game.

"Disguise that double leg by not starting with a wrestler's stance. Stand slightly more erect so I can't anticipate the shoot. When you're ready, change levels, then shoot in."

"If I grab your collar, break the grip."

Sounds like you guys are having fun!

While Im still sick.

Can't train.

Can't even go to the gym.

Been on the sofa coughing since fuckin Friday now :(

Ah, Jiu Jitsu University is so good.

1-4 SURVIVAL AND THE WHITE BELT The theme of the white belt is survival, nothing more and nothing less. After all, this is what the white belt has to do from the first day of class. He is not going to arrive in class and beat the best. He has no one to whom he can compare himself because he is still an empty vessel. Although one often takes up jiu-jitsu to learn submissions, the first lesson for the beginner is survival. Before he moves on, the white belt must become a survivor. Beyond this, the white belt is the level where I will first test a student’s insecurity and patience. There have been countless professionals who have walked into my academy beaming with confidence and strength, but when they were mounted by one of my white belts, they completely panicked. Everyone has to learn patience, starting at white belt. Eventually, by dealing with a superior power, students lose their insecurities and gains patience. This is a benefit to survival training that will last a lifetime.

Of course, I will give the white belt more weapons than just survival, but like the young man who goes to war, my first goal is for him to survive and come back to his family. He doesn’t have a lot of skill yet, but if he is smart and focuses on his defense and knowledge, he can survive. The white belt process teaches patience in situations of having to tap or in holding off the opponent. Eventually, students arrive at a crossroad where I teach this key aspect: how to change the situation to prevent having to tap out.

Helpful Survival Tips:

Always close your elbows. An open elbow is a pathway for armbars, upper body control, and poor posture.

Always prevent the cross-face control. If your opponent controls the direction of your head, he controls the direction of your entire body.

Never stay flat. A flat body is an immobile body.

1-5 SURVIVAL AND THE UPPER BELT Think back to that white belt that knows some survival. The longer he lasts, the more pressure he puts on the higher rank. This is great for the upper belt, because it forces him to move more and search for the tiniest hole in the white belt’s defensive shell. Also, the white belt is going to test the higher rank‘s accuracy because the senior student will often begin to rush through his movements as his foundation is disrupted by the white belt’s survival skills. Usually, this is the point where one should transition into an escape, but the white belt is still likely to remain in the survival position due to his inexperience and lack of transitioning skills. The upper belt will thus get to work his skills in adaptation and transition while being challenged to find new ways to submit the white belt without force or pure strength. When an upper belt visits the academy, I have a different approach to teaching survival. Schools have various ways of receiving visitors. Sometimes, the instructor takes the biggest and best students and allows them to beat down the visitor to prove their own worth in the academy. I do not believe this is the right approach, and it says nothing about the students’ abilities to protect themselves. In my school, I use the visit of an upper belt to test my students’ abilities to survive against somebody who doesn’t know about their survival skills. I want to see if they can make the visitor work really hard to find a hole to attack. In addition, I want to see if our special guest has patience and whether he is going to lose his temper or get rough with my white belts. Often enough, the visitor tries to destroy the white belt, especially when he becomes frustrated with the white belt’s defense. In this regard, I am truly happy if my white belt can just survive in the face of such an onslaught.

If the visitor becomes too rough with my students, I bring him to my world and show him what it means to survive. Now, he will have to survive against a veteran, and I will discover how his mind works when the tables are turned. Some upper belts make excuses or fake injuries and others accept their relative lack of survival skills. Regardless, the visiting upper belt, gives me the opportunity to watch him both when he is the hunter and the prey. In this way I can analyze his style to see if I want to continue to welcome this guest into the academy. If he shows kindness to the white belts, then I give him the red carpet.

Even when upper belts visit for private lessons, I instruct them in survival. My view is that I cannot change you or give you an entire new game in one private lesson, so I will focus on this most important area of jiu-jitsu. In all honesty, 99 percent of the people who come in seeking these lessons do not know how to survive. If they already understand survival, then I can go further and teach some escapes. Usually, they ask about fancy sweeps, and I tell them that this is the last thing they need. As an instructor, I will not waste my guest’s money on these techniques because his defense has got to be tight before he even considers fancy sweeps or the newest attacks. When these private lessons are over the student thanks me for showing him something that he should have learned in the beginning.

All of these hard lessons took me weeks if not months to learn. The never stay flat thing especially. It's tempting to stay flat when in guard and you're being pummeled with someone's weight. You're like,"what can I possibly do??" and it feels so hard to turn on your side. But bit by bit you learn that staying on your back is the worst possible position you can be in if it's someone is on top of you. I love you BJJ. I'd give you a Valentines day card if I could.

Speaking of Ribeiro, when I get to San Diego his school is the first one I'll be looking up. I can't believe I'm moving to the mecca of BJJ and I'll have so many places to choose from.

GAMETA

Banned
Brazilian here and I know absolutely nothing about BJJ, kinda funny going through such passionate comments about it. Lolz

People really get into it here. It reminds me a little of crossfit TBH, or at least the love that crossfit had.

It's really hard for it to not become a big part of you if you like it. I think due to its nature, you're going to get passion. Honestly, all martial arts are like this from what I've seen, but BJJ has it the most due to a couple of factors: live sparring every class and tapping. It's hard to not get really into it when you spar with someone every week and you're both continuously growing at a steady rate. Or you're always getting submitted by the same guy and you're trying to figure out how to defend against them while at the same time they're getting better at defending against you. So because you see continuous improvement and growth it feels addictive. Eventually you realize one or two classes a week isn't going to make for good progress for most people, so you bump it to three, and then eventually four days a week. It doesn't help that due to its nature, few people last and you form a bond with those that do.

To be honest, I really don't talk about BJJ besides with BJJ friends. I like to keep it that way. It's our thing that we share together. People who don't do BJJ largely have no interest in training BJJ so I leave em alone. But around people who do BJJ, I can't contain my excitement and love for watching my teammate do a flying armbar during a competition.

I honestly don't see it as any different than people who do other combat sports. It's not something Everyday Joe is going to partake. So those who do it are going to be very passionate about it. It takes a very certain individual who is willing to be choked, strangled, or in uncomfortable positions four to six times a week. That by itself will inspire passion.

Muay Thai practioners are no different. Same for Judo, boxing, or amateur wrestling.

Cleaning up my bookmarks, so wanted to share some videos & gifs I've found interesting over the years xD

And something that made me laugh. Putin rolling:

I'm afraid that woman mysteriously "disappeared" after that roll xD

Ah, Jiu Jitsu University is so good.

All of these hard lessons took me weeks if not months to learn. The never stay flat thing especially. It's tempting to stay flat when in guard and you're being pummeled with someone's weight. You're like,"what can I possibly do??" and it feels so hard to turn on your side. But bit by bit you learn that staying on your back is the worst possible position you can be in if it's someone is on top of you. I love you BJJ. I'd give you a Valentines day card if I could.

Speaking of Ribeiro, when I get to San Diego his school is the first one I'll be looking up. I can't believe I'm moving to the mecca of BJJ and I'll have so many places to choose from.

I have BJJ University too! It was the book everyone recommended on Sherdog :D A technique I learned from this book that really helped me was his explanation on the back escape. He does something unorthordox where he turns his back (giving his back) against his opponent, to try and get back up in turtle. It helped me monumentally!

I'm jealous you're moving to San Diego. But isn't it very very expensive place to live? Or is that San Francisco?`:O

So this video has been going around. Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/l8FgCHdr1rU

Well I don't think the values are ruining BJJ, but I think that some of the traditional "club loyalty" based traditions have been harmful in the past. I've said it several times before (and in other threads) but the greatest thing Bruce Lee ever said, was that he had the wisdom of not thinking of things in a "what is the best way. the chinese way, the korean way. the japanese way". His mentality of taking what works from different things and then making it work for you is what its about.
I'm a member of BJJ globetrotter which is a free affiliate. No fees or anything, but based around sharing and spreading Jiu-Jitsu, not gym politics with honor and betrayal and stuff like that^_^
Traditional Martial Values could also mean; respect, mastery of self, personal insight, personal development and growth, strengthening your body, growing your confidence, helping others. It really depends on which angle the question is framed I think!

/ I think what is really cool about BJJ is that it has so many sub disciplines. In all of grappling. The harmful traditional Martial Arts values that has existed for many many hundreds of years have been around secret techniques, keeping secrets, purity, lineages and in general- very cultist sects.
I've really taken to my instructors philosophy- He basically have told us from day one; Go learn from others too. Question everything I teach you. I don't know everything. Travel learn from other instructors and be the best you can be. There is no point in us reducing the gene pool of experience to just us.
And I think there is truth to this. Because the top level guys and gals don't do techniques you've never seen before. They don't do praying mantis mega sweep of the 39th shaolin monk. They do triangles. They do armbars. They do half guard. We already know the techniques, so being exposed to them from as many different people is awesome. There is nothing to gain with traditionally keeping things secluded.
So from my experience BJJ already breaks mold with some of the traditional bad values in Martial Arts. Real Sparring, like in Sambo, Judo, Wrestling. It keeps the art having to adapt, and you see moves and technique from each discipline flow in and out of each other.

I think Aikido looks awesome and I hope the art will reform. It would be terrific if someone made does awesome looking wrist looks work. We know they do work- Everyone who has experienced a non-telegraphed wrist look will attest to it, but I wonder if Aikido and many other traditional arts would benefit heavily from a reformation through 100% sparring, and sort of let the dominate technique decide what the curriculum becomes. Of course you might end up turning Aikido into one of the other disciplines, but what can you do? It doesn't seem like a good idea to keep things if they aren't working.
Not to mention dangerous. It's dangerous if you have someone with a black belt in Karate who has not engaged in a physical sparring who suddenly get into a real altercation!

Of course the other side of the argument with TMA (Traditional Martial Arts) is that there is a history, tradition and performance art aspect. Does it have to be applicable in real life to deserve to be useful? I guess not, but that has been the way it has been sold. I train in a gym inside a big sports complex, and in it there are many gyms. We're next to Archery range, a judo club and Karate school. And in the Karate school there is only kids and one middle aged white guy with a big gut doing Katas in the air.
I've wondered if people like this man are drawn to the spiritual aspects of Martial Arts. Those have taken more of exit in BJJ. The history is newer, and the evolution through Jiu-Jitsu > Judo > BJJ is more clear. There is less chinese whispers about channeling your inner chi or that sort. But I think at the same time- At least in my gym I run into many people who've I talked about flow state with (also known as runners high) a meditative state where you lose yourself. It's like being on drugs. Lose sense and track of time, and the mind is completely absent. Not thinking at all, the body is doing the motor skills.
Does TaeKwonDo risk losing itself if it learns some key lessons from Muay Thai? Can TaeKwonDo reform without losing its purpose, style and identity? Does it need to reform? Are things okay the way they are? BJJ and MMA being so popular in the last 15 years of exciting evolution and turning into all these branches, we don't really hear a lot about TMA. We root for Judo guys in MMA! Because every grappler loves beautiful takedowns! I think many of us also like to see a TaeKwonDo or Karate kick working. It reminds us of the early UFCs, and a part of us want the traditional Martial Arts stuff to work.

You're awesome Walrus. Lots of videos to chew on while at work tonight.

Lots to reply to but I'll keep this short. San Diego is indeed expensive. I'm not moving there for BJJ at all. Honestly, I might not even move there. I'm not sure what to do honestly. I want to move to attend an art school in Encinitas which is close to SD - 20 minutes to be exact. I'm currently doing online classes for them already and figure actually attending the school would step my art game up, not to mention the contacts you can get. The school is relatively cheap because it's an atelier. I'm stuck between moving there are gaining live insutriction or staying here and doing online classes and slowly building a portfolio. Either way, my destination and goal is Ca once I feel my art is to a point where I can rely on my talents, and I have been hired before, but I want the extra security by becoming something of a master of my field before trying again. I am licking my wounds so to speak. The school will help with that. The best idea would be to not live in SD directly. Escondido is close to both the school and SD and something I can afford.

And I don't think a martial art has to be applicable in real life to be useful. The confidence you gain from doing a martial art is going to happen. They teach discipline, camaraderie, and more even if they don't "work in a fight." I think there's more to martial arts than fighting.

What a class.

Okay, first off I had an injury scare. I'm going to be okay though.

Secondly I rolled with the guy that's bashful about rolling with women and gets an erection while rolling. While rolling he touches my boobs while we're going and it's like, whatever you know, gonna happen. But he stops and is like "oh my God I'm so sorry!" Sigh. Here comes the erection. I hope he gets used to this eventually.

Thirdly, this morning I drank some coffee before class. I only got 6 hours of sleep. Weird night last night. And you know, coffee is great before workouts but then sometimes you run into the problem of "Oh God, I hope I don't fart during this drill. That would be embarrassing." Thankfully we didn't do warm ups at the beginning of the class or I definitely would have farted. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

ZUnfidZ.gif

San Diego is a beautiful city but yes it's expensive, all the big cities in CA are.

Honestly though, being committed to the jiu jitsu lifestyle changes all your priorities. Cost of living completely changes when all you care about is training.

Shy

I've been debating for a few day whether or not to post this. As it's not strictly BJJ rather general MMA.

This is a documentary about MMA fighter Jonathan Brookins. Called A Fighters Journey.

This is the description.
"This is a story of great courage. When Jonathan Brookins won the Ultimate Fighter after winning the 12th Season UFC Finale, he was about to face a much tougher opponent outside the cage… himself.
His journey to become healthier and stronger in mind and body takes him from the fighting cages of the UFC to the shores of India"

And here's the trailer.

If it interests any of you guys you can buy it from here.
It costs $17.99. For a 1080p digital download.

It's made the same company that made that Judo documentary that i recommended in here a few weeks ago.

Secondly I rolled with the guy that's bashful about rolling with women and gets an erection while rolling. While rolling he touches my boobs while we're going and it's like, whatever you know, gonna happen. But he stops and is like "oh my God I'm so sorry!" Sigh. Here comes the erection. I hope he gets used to this eventually.

Wow. I didn't think it was possible to get a hard on while rolling given the fact that, you know, you're preoccupied trying to stop people from strangling you.

Wow. I didn't think it was possible to get a hard on while rolling given the fact that, you know, you're preoccupied trying to stop people from strangling you.

About every girl in BJJ can tell you a story about some guys erection. It's weird but also not weird? Very common among white belts but hey, they happen. It's okay. It's only bad when they get weird about it. Honestly though, it shouldn't really happen exactly like why you said, hence why it really mostly happens with inexperienced white belts. I've rolled with guys I think are hot and have big muscles but I've never gone there because I'm too busy sparring.

You still sick? :(

NotBacon

About every girl in BJJ can tell you a story about some guys erection. It's weird but also not weird? Very common among white belts but hey, they happen. It's okay. It's only bad when they get weird about it. Honestly though, it shouldn't really happen exactly like why you said, hence why it really mostly happens with inexperienced white belts. I've rolled with guys I think are hot and have big muscles but I've never gone there because I'm too busy sparring.

I used to say sorry every time I touched a boob, but it soon became obvious that it happens so often it's normal. It's just part of the roll.
Now I only say sorry when I punch a boob.

You still sick? :(

I honestly find rolling to be the least sexy thing in the world. I rolled with a girl who pretty much has the largest breasts I've ever seen in my life, not so much as a twitch downstairs! Maybe for younger guys it might be an issue I guess.

Yeah still sick, and getting worse. I honestly think it's turning into pneumonia or some shit now. Fucking sucks. No idea when I'll be able to train again at this stage

Actually, I think I'm going to be okay. Nothing is broken. Just swollen. Today I'm taking an aspirin and hoping it's better tomorrow. Was rolling with a blue belt and was passing his guard, we were going a bit hard. Well, let's say Mr. Blue Belt didn't want that pass to happen - as he should have I guess. Fucked up the transition. Landed on thumb with force and momentum. Hurt like hell. I finished the roll but couldn't get a proper grip and got beat up after that. Had to sit the other rolls out and this was the class where they roll four times. Was really looking forward to that. I only rolled twice. Really wanted to practice technique learned that day.

Just talked to someone I know who's a physical therapist and we concluded it's not broken but definitely swollen. Hope the pain will be gone tomorrow.

Sprained thumbs can take a long time to heal. Once the swelling subsides you can probably drill and flow roll with it. Just tape it to your hand so you can't use it. Use the opportunity to improve your double wristlock game aka kimura trap.

Just finished a great nogi 630am class and having my post workout breakfast, full fat yogurt mixed with chocolate protein powder. Taste like chocolate mousse, highly recommended.

How long is long? And you think I should tape it and go to class while it's still swollen?
Everyone is different. I'm in my 40s so sprains take longer to heal. Ice it and play it by ear. Once the swelling subsides it should be safe to drill and roll but your pain tolerance will play a factor. Just be smart and don't grip with the thumb.

Fox318

Well I went from a sprain to an absess and now have a hole in my leg.

Kinda shocked the doctor didn't put any stiches in it.

Fox318

Gross. Did the doc pop it like a pimple?
They had to cut it open and I'm on 3 different antibiotics.

I'm pretty much decided that I'm not going to do the tournament I had planned for the end of this week.

I have an open wound and between the injuries I havnt been able to be in the mat for 2 weeks.

I'm kinda lucky when it comes to injuries. I've had a couple of minor sprains but I've never had a major injury in my life doing anything. I think in 11 years of BJJ I've missed a total of two weeks due to physical injury. No ringworm, staph, sore joints, bad sprains, dislocations. Not even cauliflower ear.

I have terrible pre and post workout habits too. I never stretch before or after. I just hit the showers and go home. No protein powder, special pre or post workout drinks either. If durability is a genetic trait, I'm definitely an outlier.

As I get older I keep waiting for my knee or ankles to pop or a sore back to stop me from rolling but I still hit inversions like a man 10 years younger.

I read all of Fox's posts in Steve Austin's voice and I get all worried. "What'd they do to you Steve?!!?"

I've never had a broken bone in my life. Sprain is getting better. Hoping I can get back to it on Tuesday. In the mean time, binging through Jiu Jitsu University white belt section.

went to this new gym's open house here in LA, Villains Jiu Jitsu. absolutely beautiful facility. can't wait to take seminars and hopefully some open mats over there. the owners trained under some of the best from both coasts; john donaher, marcello garcia, and cobrihna.

Nice and long too. Also, it's a Maia affiliate?

I need to do more no gi. Thinking of doing no gi and gi at open mats from now on. Can't make it to no gi class anymore but maybe open mat can help fill in those blanks.

Today was torture. No bjj on a Saturday morning? Ugh. I may need to go to the gym tomorrow and get on a running machine. I need to work out my stress.

yeah, a maia affiliate. imagine the instructors telling you to shrimp back and forth across that mat? glad i could stop by to welcome these guys and their new gym. maia is such a great ambassador of the sport i have no reason to believe they won't be successful.

no bjj for me this morning but i did workout at these stairs in Santa Monica. up and down 200 steps for 50 mins. my mind seems to never get burned out from bjj but my body is a different story. my back seems to require more rest due to my inclusion of nogi class since it includes a lot of wrestling drills. 3-4 classes a week seems to be my sweet spot. then, another 2 days of weights or fun stuff like stairs or hikes.

Stairs for 50 minutes? Sounds exhausting. At least the view was good I'm assuming because it was Santa Monica. Sucks about the back but probably a better story than getting back pain from being in an office all day.

A shrimp warm up on that mat would be my death. Imagine squat walking across that mat. Total butt burner but thankfully they probably go vertical on the long side than vertical on the short side. The short side looks kinda short though. But I'm probably comparing it to my gyms mat which is a giant square rather than a rectangle.

Four days is my sweet spot. I progress the most and it's not overwhelming. Two days for weights and one day off. I do Saturday's and Sunday's back to back with bjj though. No day off between them. I thought my body would hate me but it adjusted really fast. Wasn't an issue at all really

@ I want to learn Tornado Guard but it's not an easy thing for me to hit. Getting to half guard is not the problem, but kinda getting the momentum shifted. I need to figure out how to make it work because I am missing some crucial details. / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7afkv4ih68c

You're awesome Walrus. Lots of videos to chew on while at work tonight.

Lots to reply to but I'll keep this short. San Diego is indeed expensive. I'm not moving there for BJJ at all. Honestly, I might not even move there. I'm not sure what to do honestly. I want to move to attend an art school in Encinitas which is close to SD - 20 minutes to be exact. I'm currently doing online classes for them already and figure actually attending the school would step my art game up, not to mention the contacts you can get. The school is relatively cheap because it's an atelier. I'm stuck between moving there are gaining live insutriction or staying here and doing online classes and slowly building a portfolio. Either way, my destination and goal is Ca once I feel my art is to a point where I can rely on my talents, and I have been hired before, but I want the extra security by becoming something of a master of my field before trying again. I am licking my wounds so to speak. The school will help with that. The best idea would be to not live in SD directly. Escondido is close to both the school and SD and something I can afford.

Nice!

Ahhhh damn. It reminds me of a story I heard, but I think it's more of a myth or a legend at this point. Guy has a problem with erections when he is dancing with women, so he gets this idea to put a tight rubber sized band around his penis and thigh. Same night he goes out dancing, and he gets an erection, but the tightening rubberband cuts the blood loss too his dick, and he needed to go to the hospital. Not sure if I believe it, but it gets weird for everybody when guys cannot control their erection.
I have a good friend who trains BJJ in another guy and since he is gay he does not shower in the public facilities, which I can understand.
As for BJJ I've never really keyed into how you can be aroused when rolling, but I guess it's like everything else. You hear about people getting erections in funerals. Which is sorta of funny but also very very disturbing!

Top Bottom